woof
Dog Kichi

Sep 12, 2005, 7:22 PM

Post #1 of 10 (823 views)
Shortcut
Dog Barks when hungry ? Can't Post

Hi all,

Do dog barks when they are hungry ?

I feed my puppy in the morning yesterday and den suddenly during about 4pm, she is barking non stop, i tot she missed us or something n go play wif her for a while but later she keep on barking, so we just ignore her and when we feed her food at about 7pm, she eat so fast, like she has not eaten for ages, haaaaai ......... i think she is hungry.

Any of you treat your dog snacks in between ? After snacks will they become less appetitte during dinner ?

Thanks

Yours in the World of Animal,
Woof Woof

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 12, 2005, 10:51 PM

Post #2 of 10 (816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [woof] Dog Barks when hungry ? [In reply to] Can't Post

woof

how old is ur pup? is ur pup is less than 6 months old, it is advicable to feed him 3 times a day. Smile

Regards,

Yang

woof
Dog Kichi

Sep 13, 2005, 5:13 PM

Post #3 of 10 (805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Dog Barks when hungry ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yang

Good to hear from u again.

Me dog is 3Months young but if give food 3 times daily will it made it a habit till when it's older than 6months, it's not able to cut down to 2times daily, i m just concern about that, and i m working day time, can't just come back to feed dog every lunch time ler hehehehheeh ......... boss'll killl me.

I give Eukanuba Puppy Kibbles, how much should i give ? Currently i give about 100biji every meal, isit too little ? 2 times daily.

In Reply To
woof

how old is ur pup? is ur pup is less than 6 months old, it is advicable to feed him 3 times a day. Smile

Woof Woof

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2005, 8:30 PM

Post #4 of 10 (801 views)
Shortcut

since u are working...why not feed twice a day then.....

morning once and dinner once.....

u have to actually weight ur dog....and feed according to the scale.....

or just roughly estimate her stomach size n monitor her while she is eating....make sure that she finish it one shot...if there is left over remove it.....then try to adjust accordingly....

i think ur will starve ur puppy lar....3 months onli...n u feed her once a day....kasihan la...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Sep 13, 2005, 8:30 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 14, 2005, 3:20 AM

Post #5 of 10 (796 views)
Shortcut

Hi Woof,

Your pup at 3 months is still a baby ... with a very small stomach ... if you only feed once a day ... your dog will not be eating enough for proper nutrition. This is basic. This has nothing to do with what your "boss" likes or does not like. Just as feeding a human baby on one meal a day will be bad for the health - same same with puppy!

If you cannot manage 3 to 4 meals during the day time - then reschedule ~ say once in the morning before going to work, once as soon as you get back and one more time just before bedtime. This is not ideal but at least better than just one or 2 feeds a day.

Without knowing the breed, type or size of your puppy - it is impossible to say how much is the correct amount to feed.

You need to weigh your dog, and then check the back of the dog food pack for general guidance on the amount to feed.

When your pup is old enough (say 1year old) you can cut back on the number of feeds. That is not a problem.

But underfeeding your pup now (during its most important growing stage) can cause poor health, incorrect growth and poor bodily functions that may give rise to life-long problems for your dog!

Cheers

woof
Dog Kichi

Sep 14, 2005, 5:32 PM

Post #6 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Dog Barks when hungry ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Surchinmy n Amanda

Thanks a lot for your reply. Appreciate that.

I reckon there's a little misunderstanding ler, sorry, I actually feed my dog TWICE a day, but just wondering on the amount i feed her is enough or not about 100kibbles per meal, isit sufficient ?

-So at puppy stage if possible, den i should feed her 3-4 meals a day ?

-Normally a GR puppy at 3months, how much she should weight ? Any spec for under weight or over weight ?

-Any good book in the market to recommend ?

In Reply To
Hi Woof,

Your pup at 3 months is still a baby ... with a very small stomach ... if you only feed once a day ... your dog will not be eating enough for proper nutrition. This is basic. This has nothing to do with what your "boss" likes or does not like. Just as feeding a human baby on one meal a day will be bad for the health - same same with puppy!

If you cannot manage 3 to 4 meals during the day time - then reschedule ~ say once in the morning before going to work, once as soon as you get back and one more time just before bedtime. This is not ideal but at least better than just one or 2 feeds a day.

Without knowing the breed, type or size of your puppy - it is impossible to say how much is the correct amount to feed.

You need to weigh your dog, and then check the back of the dog food pack for general guidance on the amount to feed.

When your pup is old enough (say 1year old) you can cut back on the number of feeds. That is not a problem.

But underfeeding your pup now (during its most important growing stage) can cause poor health, incorrect growth and poor bodily functions that may give rise to life-long problems for your dog!

Cheers

Woof Woof

WendyS
Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2005, 5:58 PM

Post #7 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut

Hi, do you have anyone at home when you go for work? If yes, pls arrange to feed her at least 3 times a day. If no, then you have no choice but to feed her twice a day.....and you have to feed her the right amount according to her age & weight, pls refer to the packaging of your dog food. What the others said are correct, under feeding or improper nutrition will lead to health problems. If I remember correctly, I fed half a cup each meal and 3 meals a day when my GR was 3 months old.

Yes, you can give her snacks in between, eg. few pieces of dog biscuits. But don't give too much until she overweight or affect her appetite. Other than snacks, you can break the treats into very small pieces and use for training. You can start teaching her the basic commands already. Training is important because you would enjoy more if the dog is obedient!

WendyS
Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2005, 6:20 PM

Post #8 of 10 (784 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I don't have any good dog care book to recommend, I learned from Internet and this forum, what I do in terms of dog care are:

1) Provide quality dog food, holistic is best but expensive. I'm feeding mine super premium.

2) Provide good supplements, I provide multi-vit for general health and for skin & coat

3) Hygiene - I brush my dog daily or once in 2 days and I bathe them weekly, clean their ears and check their nails after bath

4) Ticks/fleas prevention - I use frontline once a month

5) Vaccinations - Ensure vaccinations are up-to-date

6) Heartworms prevention - I use heartgard once a month, use only when the dog reaches 6 mths old.

7) Deworm - once a month for puppy, once in 3 months if on heartgard.

8) Oral care - I don't brush their teeth but I give them bones/greenies few times a week

9) Toys/Treats - for playtime & training!

That's about all I think. Wink

For good training book, I have one to recommend. Bought one recently, it's called 'Learn Visually for dog training' something like that. The book has step-by-step explanation & pictures for each commands. And it covers some tricks also. I feel it's suitable for beginner and ppl who doesn't like to read a lot. Only RM39.90 from MPH. I used that to train my puppy and it works!

I don't know where to get the ideal weight, but you can see for yourself whether the dog is underweight or overweight. If you can see the ribs means it's underweight. The ideal body shape is you should see the body slightly curve in near the waist, not bloated and you should feel the ribs (not see) when you touch the dog. Smile You can also get the advice from your vet when you bring her for vaccinations.

(This post was edited by WendyS on Sep 14, 2005, 6:32 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 14, 2005, 7:38 PM

Post #9 of 10 (776 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

For a start try this book, don't underestimate Dummies Books ~ they are generally quite well written & organised by authors experienced in the field:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764552805/qid=1126668184/sr=8-16/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i15_xgl14/104-0235412-8839949?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Then you can try:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0876053460/ref=pd_sim_5/104-0235412-8839949?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

As before - read the reviews and check out the other links, before deciding which is best for you.

General rules of thumb for feeding large breeds:

(a) Generally, puppies up to 3months require 3 to 4 feeds a day, small meals. Up to 12months, 3 feeds a day ... Depending on individual dog, maybe from 10months you can try 2 feeds a day.

(b) Better to slightly underfeed rather than over feed. Emphasis on word "slightly". Over feeding can increase rate of growth which is not desirable for large breeds or dogs with know skeletal issues/problems. Slightly underfeeding allows the bones to grow more slowly, which in turn allows for improved density & strength, and avoids commons issues such as "growing pains". Slight underfeeding will not affect evential adult size of the dog (which is genetically programmed).

For large breeds, many experienced dog owners/breeders suggest moving from puppy to adult formula, from 6 to 8months onwards, so as to maintain slow but steady growth for better skeletal structure.

(c) DO NOT GIVE any calcium supplements UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW what you are doing. Giving calcium incorrectly, or in the incorrect amounts or without the correct balance between calcium & phosphorus elements can cause permenant and/or serious skeletal issues.

Personally ~ we like to give freshly prepared foods to our dogs. So we often add fresh meat, fresh blended veggies etc ... we find that dogs do best on a more natural diet. All our dogs were brought up from puppy stage with large % of freshly prepared foods in their diets ... and (*touch wood) - it's been good.

As with human beings, how you care for, feed & train your puppy will determine the adult dog you end up with ~ whether healthy, with sound skeletal & musculature, well-behaved ... or just the opposite.

Do not cut corners at your dog's puppy stage - that is far too dangerous.

Go get the good dog manual which will teach you how to determine whether a dog is under or overweight - or use the SEARCH in puppycom - the topic has been well discussed before.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 14, 2005, 7:55 PM)

woof
Dog Kichi

Sep 15, 2005, 10:01 PM

Post #10 of 10 (750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WendyS] Dog Barks when hungry ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Wendy

Thanks for your thorough reply.

I am giving her 3 meals per day now, but the bulu texture on her still like a bit botak patch by patch building it up by giving her Fish oil 2 times per week n will increase gradually 4times weekly per bottle suggested. Check out my reply below:

In Reply To
Hi, I don't have any good dog care book to recommend, I learned from Internet and this forum, what I do in terms of dog care are:

1) Provide quality dog food, holistic is best but expensive. I'm feeding mine super premium. I am feeding Eukanuba Puppy Kibbles only, isit advisable to give the puppy, chicken feet or internal organs ?

2) Provide good supplements, I provide multi-vit for general health and for skin & coat I gave her Vit B & E and also Vitapet's fish oil for bulu n skin

3) Hygiene - I brush my dog daily or once in 2 days and I bathe them weekly, clean their ears and check their nails after bath Try to brush her daily, bath her weekly, clean the ear daily using a lotion given by Vet, but it smells like Alcohol to me, u guys got any idea about that ?

4) Ticks/fleas prevention - I use frontline once a month What's a Frontline ? I oni use a Flea n Ticks prevention Shampoo by Dino brand

5) Vaccinations - Ensure vaccinations are up-to-date Yes Ma'am !

6) Heartworms prevention - I use heartgard once a month, use only when the dog reaches 6 mths old. What's a Heart Guard ?

7) Deworm - once a month for puppy, once in 3 months if on heartgard. aiks, i din know Pups need to deworm every month eh, ic ic ....

8) Oral care - I don't brush their teeth but I give them bones/greenies few times a week Hehe yea me too, gave them the bone which is cleaning her tartar n disolvable inside but i read somewhere it says not too good for the teeth, n the soft cushion bone toy type is better, i duno, what do u think ?

9) Toys/Treats - for playtime & training! 1 cushion bola and one Rope Bone {hope it's not to bad for the teeth}

That's about all I think. Wink

For good training book, I have one to recommend. Bought one recently, it's called 'Learn Visually for dog training' something like that. The book has step-by-step explanation & pictures for each commands. And it covers some tricks also. I feel it's suitable for beginner and ppl who doesn't like to read a lot. Only RM39.90 from MPH. I used that to train my puppy and it works!

I don't know where to get the ideal weight, but you can see for yourself whether the dog is underweight or overweight. If you can see the ribs means it's underweight. The ideal body shape is you should see the body slightly curve in near the waist, not bloated and you should feel the ribs (not see) when you touch the dog. Smile You can also get the advice from your vet when you bring her for vaccinations.

Woof Woof

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my