Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
disobedient puppy + habit of biting us.

missyjac
Dog Kichi

Sep 10, 2005, 9:16 PM

Post #1 of 19 (4698 views)
Shortcut
disobedient puppy + habit of biting us. Can't Post

I have a 3months plus puppy who has been with us for a month now. Dhora has now the habit of biting us - kinda deep and very painful. not sure if its playing with us or she's angry. She would, of cos growl and bark, which seems to me like she's really only playing. Then again after the bite i quickly put her into the crate, where she whines soo much tho we give her toys and treats.

she's disobedient n ignorant. she does know certain commands like the basic sit and stay. Then again, when she's hyped up, she doesnt listen to us at all, even with treats. She even tries to jump on us, bit my toes, pull on my pants.. She doesnt listen when we try to back her off from chasing & barking at our house cat (who was here before her) We have tried the ignorance method, but we seem to be ignored back whenever we try to cool her down or teach her new commands.

its frustrating sometimes that i dont know what to do .. i get so upset. pls help . =(

buckieluck
Novice

Sep 11, 2005, 5:06 PM

Post #2 of 19 (4686 views)
Shortcut
Re: [missyjac] disobedient puppy + habit of biting us. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know about other dogs but it seems like your dog acts kinda normal. I mean at the age of 3 mths, biting and chewing are their favourite habits. In fact my puppy bit me so often when he was about 2 months - 4 months old. I can still see some small bite marks on my hand.

Well, I read from the internet that these steps might work but Buckie chose the last one. :P

3 options :

1) Press his jaws to the ground when he bites you and let him go after he has calmed down (Say 'No Bite').

2) Each time he bites your fingers, push your fingers deep into his mouth until he chokes (Say 'No Bite').

3) Close his mouth with your hand until he has calmed (Say 'No Bite').

4) Whack his butt with your hand (Shout 'No bite')

5) Cane (Shout 'No Bite')

Buckie has stopped its 'hyper biting' at the age of 4 mths, he seems to know how to control it. Even tho he's 6 mths now, he does bite during playtime but as long as I correct him, he will not repeat it for the day. All I need is consistent training. And he doesn't bite me that deep anymore.

For jumping onto you, I tried the cane method too. It works. I know it sounds a bit cruel but if the recommended ways don't work, you will have to go the hard way. Buckie is one stubborn dog and I realized that undisciplined dog is an unhappy dog. And if you don't do it, he will become a destructive dog in future, you know?
--------------------------------------------------------
Siberian Husky + Silky Terrier = My Buckie
Add Buckie in your Dogster : www.dogster.com/?187451

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 12, 2005, 10:49 PM

Post #3 of 19 (4668 views)
Shortcut

missyjac

although the biting & chewing is normal for a pup, but if it is done on ur hands, it should be discouraged or else the pup will gro larger, the bite will go deeper, & the pup is not going to know how pain it caused.

pups love attentions & praises. rather than punish them when they did wrong, which u say he will take revenge, try to switch a method, by encouraging them to do the right thing.

whenever the dog chew ur hands, immediately provide him with a proper chew toy, let him bite, play with him, praise him a lot, & a lo0OT! whenever u see him chewing or biting the toys, praise him, & give him some treats. when time passes, he will feel happy to chew on chew toys, not ur hands.

wish u good luck in training. Smile

Regards,

Yang

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 13, 2005, 10:18 PM

Post #4 of 19 (4653 views)
Shortcut

It is normal that a puppy will try to chew and bite on whatever goes into or near his mouth. However, never ever accept or tolerate anything from your puppy what you would not be able to accept when he is an adult dog.

Never use the crate as a punishment otherwise; your dog will associate the crate just as a punishment tool and not as a safe place to be in.Put your dog on a leash and start training by passing by the cat and holding tight the leash. Praise when doing right and give a stern NO when not. Be firm and consistent in whatever you accept or not (not one day it is fine to do and tomorrow it is not).

missyjac
Dog Kichi

Oct 16, 2005, 6:08 AM

Post #5 of 19 (4560 views)
Shortcut
Re:all [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks guys : D i forgotten bout this thread. Things didnt work out that much but now she understands 'NO' and 'Off' so its not too bad right now.
I understand she was trying to 'merajuk' with me when i told her 'off' -which she barks at my ear to frighten me n tell me whos boss. hrmph. then she'd pull and bite on my pants and her teeth sinks into my skin. cis.

sometimes i guess it means she wants to eat or she's jealous of me with my bf .. im used to her ways already so its ok : D b4 this chokin her doesnt work cos she seems to like it.

anyway thanks guys : D
btw how do u guys train your furkids to walk without the leash ? dhora was off leash twice so far - but the last time she ran while a fast car was comin .. i was soo afraid n shocked. i feel so motherly now : (

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Oct 17, 2005, 5:35 PM

Post #6 of 19 (4554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [missyjac] Re:all [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, sorry to hear that.
Please consider that an untrained dog is a nuisance and probably a liability and worst of all, it is not a happy dog. YES, that is right. A dog is a pack animal and needs rules and consistency to be happy.
To train a dog to walk off leash is easy, but one step at the time. First, the dog has to learn to walk on leash without pulling and to heel without fail then doing the same off leash is very easy. The trick is daily attention and daily training sessions, to bond with the dog and to get/give respect and be the accepted “alpha” of the family (pack). To introduce rules and live by them is the basic for a peaceful life in crowed community.

bettawalk

Oct 18, 2005, 7:28 PM

Post #7 of 19 (4550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buckieluck] disobedient puppy + habit of biting us. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

3) Close his mouth with your hand until he has calmed (Say 'No Bite').

This one worked well with me while i was training Cole as a puppy. Now each time he wants to bite me... i just point a finger at him... and he would look away LOL.

Naturally Cole went off leash and made sure wherever i go, he could at least see a glimpse of me and he would chase up to me each time he noticed that i got to far. Being a tiny arrogent dog, he tend to be not afraid of cars which really worries me lately too. I'm having that fear of cars too... soo lately Cole has gone back on a leash.

.:: King Of Toys , The Miniature Pincher ::.

(This post was edited by bettawalk on Oct 18, 2005, 7:30 PM)

missyjac
Dog Kichi

Oct 18, 2005, 8:50 PM

Post #8 of 19 (4544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bettawalk] disobedient puppy + habit of biting us. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that could work. But each time i close Dhora's mouth, she would still be whining and wriggling .. then after she's calm - then after letting go, she'd go back to tryin to nip again . . after a few attempts is alright. But the question is - can i hole the pup's mouth firmly ? just put some pressure in ? would it hurt her alot ?

I'm not sure if i should let dhora off leash right now cos she's too hyper. I used to teach the heel n sit thingy but its not so easy for her. Ill try Joesmiths method for now again . . bf thinks i should only let her off leash when she's 1 yr old since she's toooo hyper.. cars really freak me : (
hur hur try to protect ur furkid from harm. good thing to put Cole back on a leash : )

buckieluck
Novice

Oct 19, 2005, 3:25 PM

Post #9 of 19 (4531 views)
Shortcut

Missyjac, the pressure on your furkid depends on the size of his muzzle. You just have to grab hold of his muzzle till he gives up on struggling anymore. Somehow, my pup can't be taught by that.. he just loved to snap almost anything when he was about 3 mths +. I had no choice but to use the ultimate caning method Frown. Just whoop his ass each time he snaps and one day, he'll just be afraid of the cane itself. Then it's easier to just scare him. Not really that cruel anyway.. if all other methods can't work. Some dogs can outgrow this habit but not all of them.

Oh talking about the streets outside, my Buckie has been hit by a car not long ago. I don't normally let him off leash when we go out for walks but on that day I accidentally let him loose while the gates were opened wide. It really scared me to death when the red Proton car just hit him right on his thigh and he flung about few feet away from that place. Lucky thing the car was slow I think..and Buckie was able to get back on his feet again and ran back to the house licking his thigh. NEVER NEVER LET YOUR DOGS OFF LEASH!!

missyjac
Dog Kichi

Oct 19, 2005, 10:19 PM

Post #10 of 19 (4527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buckieluck] disobedient puppy + habit of biting us. [In reply to] Can't Post

ohh. until she gives up struggling. meaning she'll be very calm ? ill try again later. u cane ah : ( the other day non-stop trying to bite and ran into the house without permission n couldnt stop running, my bf caned her :( i was sooo upset the whole day. imagine your own baby kena wek. .

then she was reaching for something, kept jumping, n accidentally landed on her body and she was lying down yelping in pain.. wahh triple upset day for me yesterday : (

woah i think i shouldnt let dhora off leash anymore. better take safety precautions .. ;( i hope buckie's okay though.

buckieluck
Novice

Oct 20, 2005, 3:40 PM

Post #11 of 19 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Yap Yap.. cane cane.. whack whack. hehehee, pls don't report me to the police Frown. But I think they will love him as well because he is soooo cuteeeee.

Buckie's ok now.. just having flu because of the rainy days i think.

adelena
New User

Oct 20, 2005, 7:18 PM

Post #12 of 19 (4517 views)
Shortcut

Hi....this is my first time posting...as this topic really interests me. I can totally relate to wat u're goin thru missyjac. My pup (candy) is also 3mths+ and she started biting the first week i brought her home. We have tried holding her mouth till she keeps still but as soon as she is released, she starts her nonsense!! So now we have resorted to whacking her bum with rolled up newspaper. We usually hit the ground with the newspaper first, in hopes that it will scare her. Sometimes it works, at other times she's just fearless. She has yet to stop biting but it has reduced. There is one thing i noticed tho....is that she bullies strangers...as in she only bites visitors that come to my house. She probably knows that my mother and i will whack her if she bites us. hehe...

I am also experiencing some problems with housebreaking candy. We have tried using even the housebreaking aid sold at the pet shops but it doesnt seem to work. When she feels like it, or when its convenient to her...she will pee/poo at the designated place...at other times...she does it wherever she feels like. Need some pointers here.....

Also....i never let her off the leash....its just too dangerous...but candy seldom leaves the house anyway...even if she does...she goes in the car....she's a real pampered one....

missyjac
Dog Kichi

Oct 20, 2005, 8:21 PM

Post #13 of 19 (4508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adelena] [buckieluck] [In reply to] Can't Post

buckieluck : im sure bucky is reaaaly cute ! one day ill kidnap him from u as dhoras bf : D

adelena : hi ! welcome ! post more :) candy is the pup in your avatar ? a daschund ? aww .. my aunt n my mum really loves them. umm.. like the rest of the members here suggest , at this stage she is really naughty and is in her teething stage. for my pup it doesnt work to hit the ground with the newspaper or show her the cane cos she thinks it is her toy. until we really wack her.. which i dont think i wanna do that again : ( feels sad to hear her cry in pain.

at least candy had reduced in biting, so has mine a little. one trick i know .. when Dhora starts to bite, ill rub her chest and tummy . she really likes that ,. so when i do that, she doesnt bite me anymore. i dont think of it as a 'reward' like when they do something right , u treat them. i take it that she's feeling 'geli' so each time she tries to bite, or is really excited n to calm her down, ill rub her belly.

My dhora bites certain strangers too. acc to my bf, prob cos she knows that the person doesnt like dogs. N yeah, it is true, we found out. She barks at me more than my bf so I guess she knows i fear her a little whenever she barks. hrmph. ive learnt to overcome that.

I don't believe in the housebreakin kit actually. n yeah, dhora used to poo so much indoors when she feels like it though the door is wide open. each time she does it, n we shout 'outside' it still doesnt work cos she's not even startled. so we just throw (not throw lah) her out to the designated spot to do her biz.
Now we put her outdoors only and Only when we let her in she could. I guess so far she is ok being indoors awhile n not makin a mess.. car rides wise, she's ok.

Guess u should lead her outside more often n when she poos/pee, choose a command (do your business)
n praise her when she does it.. perhaps it could help. do it on a regular basis. .
n teach her 'outside' it'd be good.. im not a pro on this yet, perhaps the other members could help u :) good luck tho !!

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 20, 2005, 9:06 PM

Post #14 of 19 (4506 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

From what I have read I put it down to puppy growing up. If what you have written is accurate then you have forgotten to praise your dog when it did stop, even if it is for a second. Try it again, this time when it is biting, grab it put it between your thighs when you are on your knees, grab it's muzzle, tap the top of the muzzle and say "No" until it stop struggling then slowly release it's muzzle with several praises like "good girl or boy" and keep doing it till it gets the message. Buy some toys for it to bite so it will know what to bite and what not to bite.

Time will stop this problem.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 20, 2005, 9:20 PM

Post #15 of 19 (4505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adelena] disobedient puppy + habit of biting us. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

The problem here is when it stop struggling you forgot to praise it. Keep doing it till it sinks in. Dogs have very good short term memory but long term memory do not exists so you have to make the short term becomes long term, hence repeat it till it is not necessary. Do not hit it on the bum as it is still young and the bone development is not complete, if you need to hit it try the muzzle, on top just tap it with your finger it can be very painful for them there but no damage. Dogs that do not or not known to have hip problems and ends up having this problem is uasually due to being hit in the bum.

Take care on that and have fun with your pup.

missyjac
Dog Kichi

Oct 21, 2005, 8:37 PM

Post #16 of 19 (4488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] disobedient puppy + habit of biting us. [In reply to] Can't Post

praising .. i do that : ) i never fail to praise my pup.

anyway thanks psy :D

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 21, 2005, 11:39 PM

Post #17 of 19 (4485 views)
Shortcut

HI, and good on you. I suppose just need time to drive the point home for your pup.

All the best and I am sure you will get the point home.

little_ann
Novice

Oct 30, 2005, 2:01 AM

Post #18 of 19 (4455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] disobedient puppy + habit of biting us. [In reply to] Can't Post

My puppy has the same problem...but i wack his butt and shout NO!!! After few time only , he not dare to bite anymore.
Fate brings us together~^^

www.dogster.com/?199647

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 30, 2005, 4:04 AM

Post #19 of 19 (4450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [little_ann] disobedient puppy + habit of biting us. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Good to know it worked out for you, but I must stress the point of hitting your pup on the butt, their bone structure is not strong and you may cause permanent damage to it. Breeds like GR, Labs and GSD are breeds one needs to be careful with but in general should never hit the pup/dog on the butt.

Again, good to know it has work out for you.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my