Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog Sports, Schutzhund, Protection, Tracking,.....: Schutzhund & Protection Dogs:
Rottweiler vs Cane Corso

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 13, 2005, 11:01 PM

Post #26 of 44 (7432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
PSD

GR.. hmm.. actually i kinda like GR but i heard that GR are too frenly & not suitable to guard is it true? correct me if im wrong as i dont know much abt how to train a guard dog etc.. Smile

GR's will do nicely for a family dog but for Guard arr......erm.......Laugh

Well sometimes u can find some dogs able to do the job. I had personally known one GR having a fight and nerve that is able to be trained into a serious Guard dog. Heck I had also met many Rotts and also GSD's not fitting to be called so as well. The main idea is not to pick the likely from an unlikely breed. It would be easier to pick the likely from the likely breed. In this case the breeds that I mentioned earlier have a long history of needed drives for the work.

All being said, I am an avid believer that in one litter u can find at most only 2 worthwhile dogs of a high caliber for the job or sports. The rest are just normal dogs of either average or below average drives.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 13, 2005, 11:04 PM

Post #27 of 44 (7432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just some addons on chloe's reply...

i would also like to see the puppy reaction before the loud souce test, let them alone in the new strange place and observe how they behave....then u walk away and hide from their sight...and when u come back to them how they react....

another one would be body posture, they way they carry themselves and interaction among puppies......

may be a pain/stress toleration may also require for top level sport or some PP dogs.

oh yeah how fast do they recover if someting less than present happened to them...

Boon,

remember our conversations that day? Now u have proven u do have the knowledge.......Sly

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

boon
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2005, 11:19 PM

Post #28 of 44 (7426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

...so u wanted to pull the cow to ur side lah....

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

boon
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2005, 11:30 PM

Post #29 of 44 (7425 views)
Shortcut

Well sometimes u can find some dogs able to do the job. I had personally known one GR having a fight and nerve that is able to be trained into a serious Guard dog.

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

colinchin
Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2005, 11:31 PM

Post #30 of 44 (7425 views)
Shortcut

Hello PSD and Boon,

It has been a while, a year coming I think. How are you guys getting on up there ? Did any arm twisting training of late ? Hang in there.Wink

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 14, 2005, 1:04 AM

Post #31 of 44 (7417 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

hahahah I dont want the cow lah. I just want to justify the beef might not necessary be under my bill Angelic

PSD

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 14, 2005, 1:05 AM

Post #32 of 44 (7417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colinchin] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hello PSD and Boon,

It has been a while, a year coming I think. How are you guys getting on up there ? Did any arm twisting training of late ? Hang in there.Wink

Hi Colin,

As u have read, I'm on a semi retirement plan already....hehehe. Have a big task to build up this one dog I still have.

PSD

boon
Doggyman

Sep 14, 2005, 1:13 AM

Post #33 of 44 (7414 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

hahahah I dont want the cow lah. I just want to justify the beef might not necessary be under my bill Angelic

I think still on my side....

colinchin
Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2005, 2:01 AM

Post #34 of 44 (7409 views)
Shortcut

Hi PSD,

It is good to see that you are back from retirement. Hope to catch up with you one of these days. My counter part and I are planning on that.

Lex Ang
Novice

Sep 14, 2005, 7:23 AM

Post #35 of 44 (7407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi Lex,

Was thinking abt ur post..n i started out like u too. But I always considered Presa's my first choice coz of their temperamant,bite,looks n short coat. But good ones are difficult to find.

Then rotts crossed my mind..so say IF i had access to good presa's. The choice would be still them because the rotts hv a longer coat n i'm being superficial here but i like the presa's look much more Blush

A good presa combined with a sharp dog would make a good team(perhaps a dobe,another of my fav). Then hv 1 or 2 GSD or mals for sport and a lil pitbull for a pet....aahhh....my perfect family Laugh

Hi RealityDreamer,

Cheers! Yup, good presa are really difficult to find esp. gd working lines. the reputable breeders in the States or Europe with gd working lines of presa usually sell their pups to ppl they know well. But of course if you are really interested get in touch with them, they are more than willing to talk to you.

Presa are also one of my priority, as I have experiences with them, but I am opening my choice to other breed too like cane corso, which I need more opinions frm ppl who have handled them.

oh you have a great choice of family members. ....
Best Wishes

Lex Ang
Novice

Sep 14, 2005, 7:34 AM

Post #36 of 44 (7403 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Yeah u can say that. Used to owned and train up to 7 dogs for the sport or PP at one time but now I had reduced it to only 1 which I'm still keeping in shape for possible SchH trialing. However all have to depend on how much time I can squeeze out from the normal schedule. For now I only do some conditioning work and also stamina work every 2 days just to keep the dog fit......erm......and keep my stomach from bulging too much....CrazyLaugh

Oh that great! at least you still holding on and its only the time that hinder you. I am sure to support you for your next SchH trial.

Hee... I am trying hard for my bulging stomach too...
Best Wishes

boon
Doggyman

Sep 14, 2005, 7:29 PM

Post #37 of 44 (7390 views)
Shortcut

Hi Colin,

I hope u and the other half malaysian/half singaporean manage to spare some time for ur up north trip....then we can talk overnight for our dog topics

When u called me the other day my phone was out of bat...sorry for not able to return ur call Blush

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 14, 2005, 7:37 PM

Post #38 of 44 (7386 views)
Shortcut

RealityDreamer

oic.. but then if u were to buy a pup, wonder the breeder will allow u to make such a test a not? Smile

Regards,

Yang

colinchin
Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2005, 7:44 PM

Post #39 of 44 (7386 views)
Shortcut

Hi Boon,

It's ok about the phone call. No problem, I can always call you again. We are planning about the year end trip to meet up with you guys. Hope it comes true this year. Then, we call talk all night long and eat the whole day long. Not forgetting to learn from you guys. Hmm, I just miss the food and companion there.

How's your bark and hold training getting on ? May be you will allow me to check it out ?

(This post was edited by colinchin on Sep 14, 2005, 8:11 PM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 14, 2005, 9:53 PM

Post #40 of 44 (7375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

well..that's really up to the breeders. Those who have smth to hide will not let u test. Those that hv nothin to hide will let u Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

boon
Doggyman

Sep 15, 2005, 12:17 AM

Post #41 of 44 (7368 views)
Shortcut

Hi Colin,

end of the year ? aiyah that might be way to long to looking forward isn't it....may be one of these weekend u and him drive up lah...

sure got something to show....

colinchin
Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2005, 1:06 AM

Post #42 of 44 (7359 views)
Shortcut

Hi Boon,

Called you just now twice but you didn't pick up my calls. Let me check with my sifu first as he is perfecting his bark and hold position.Angelic

Hopefully get to see you guys for training earlier than that. Cheers.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 15, 2005, 9:01 PM

Post #43 of 44 (7327 views)
Shortcut

the more the merrier! n every1 counts! Wink
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

makwk
Novice

Sep 27, 2007, 2:10 AM

Post #44 of 44 (6804 views)
Shortcut

hi guys, i am very new here and i have been reading on this forum for some time as i am trying to get myself 2 working line guard dogs.

I thought i should post my questions here as i see there are lots of sifu chatting on this thread, hope you guys don't mind.

I have grown up with dogs all while, but nothing near to having a proper guard dog, as one of you put it, all my previous dogs were 'alarm dogs'. as we are moving into a new house with a quite a big compound, i would like to considering of having 2 guard dogs with us (2 dogs - because i think the area is wide, it is about 1 acre of land).

i have been reading a lot about doberman and GSD, both are considered my favourites. i have spoken to only 1 Dobe's owner, he said GSD can never match Dobes....; and you would have guessed - I spoke to a GSD breeder / trainer (SV Germania in Jalan Gasing, PJ), the German trainer said the exact opposite (though his assistant told me Doberman is good, but it's difficult to find a good working-line one in Malaysia).

1) Does anyone here keep both Dobes and GSD as guard dogs? what are the key practical temperament difference of both breeds? i have two 5 year old brothers at home and they love dogs too.

2) What is the market price for a good guard dog? GSD and Doberman?

3) I understand from 2 trainers that they will start trainig the dogs from 8 months old onwards, are there special way of bringing up a guard dog? I have read "how to bring up a dog for SchH" - i.e. not to hurt their confidence? can I still teach them where to pee, and scold them if they do bad things?

4) what is the best way to bring up 2 guard dogs? 1 by 1 or both together? I am on my own, so I have time for them.

If you have credible breeders breeding working line dobes and gsd, would you mind letting me know? my contact is 0163351289 or weng.mak at .

Thanks a lot for your help.

(This post was edited by makwk on Sep 27, 2007, 2:13 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my