IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
how??help me

janiceC

Sep 3, 2005, 5:35 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1143 views)
Shortcut
how??help me Can't Post

hihi!i'm a newbie here n i'm from seremban..i have a 5 month old shih tzu..she's used to pee n poo in her cage..n now i'm thinkng of training her to pee n poo on the newspaper..but the problem is,whenever she's released from the cage,she'll bite all the stuff on the floor,so if i put the newspaper on the floor as her 'business area',she'll juz bite it n play with it...how??anyone is willing to help me?

jan
www.dogster.com/?210313

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 4, 2005, 8:44 AM

Post #2 of 10 (1132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janiceC] how??help me [In reply to] Can't Post

janice

once u saw her bite the newspaper, tell her with a firm tone NO! then give her chew toy which u wish her to chew on, play with her & praise her a lot.

dont punish her AFTER she bite the newspapers, it should be done ON THE SPOT. whenever she did her business on the right place, praise her a lot & give her treats. If u saw she sniffs around or seems like want to pee or poo, brng her to the newspaper & praise her & give treat again.

Patient is the key of success. hope this help.

Regards,

Yang

janiceC

Sep 4, 2005, 9:23 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] how??help me [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
janice

once u saw her bite the newspaper, tell her with a firm tone NO! then give her chew toy which u wish her to chew on, play with her & praise her a lot.

dont punish her AFTER she bite the newspapers, it should be done ON THE SPOT. whenever she did her business on the right place, praise her a lot & give her treats. If u saw she sniffs around or seems like want to pee or poo, brng her to the newspaper & praise her & give treat again.

Patient is the key of success. hope this help.

hi,thankz for replying..

i have tried this before..but whenever i say NO,she wont bother me,,,she will juzz bite the stuff n ran away..

another question,when she bite the newspaper or other things,i cant beat her mouth..then wat should i do to punish her??n to take out the stuff from her mouth??
www.dogster.com/?210313

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 5, 2005, 6:56 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1124 views)
Shortcut

Small puppies can’t control and/or behave very well and need to learn the rules first. Second, puppies are very playful and playing with the newspaper seems to be fun for your doggie. Do not beat your doggie, it would not understand the punishment and would get scared of you only.

YES, take from his mouth anything you don’t like him to chew on. First say NO and then give the command for releasing (GIVE). If you feel that he is challenging you and needs some punishment then grab his neck and shake him (slightly, like a little shiver), hold him down, until he surrenders. Remember, punishment works only when done immediately, otherwise the dog would not understand. So never ever call the dog to you to punish him.For toilet training, just carry him to the right spot, first thing in the morning and shortly after each meal and before retiring and, of course, whenever you see him sniffing for pee or poop spot. Use his leash to keep him in this area and do not offer any entertainment, no play, no praise – you want him to do his business and not that he is fooling your command. Once he has done his business, then praise him swiftly and carry him back to the playing area. Play with him for a while and return to your previous activity. He should learn the rule within a couple of weeks.

janiceC

Sep 5, 2005, 10:06 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] how??help me [In reply to] Can't Post

thankz!i'll try wat u have said..

u said"use her leash to keep........." the problem is..she wont lemme to lead her to anywhere..she'll bite it and play with it..so i'd rather unhook her..Unimpressedwhy?n wat should i do next?
www.dogster.com/?210313

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 13, 2005, 9:32 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1100 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaugh Haha, easy to see who is fooling whom – but who is the alpha then? If you want to be in charge then you have to be more stubborn then him. Be firm & consistent, that is the secret behind dog training.Good luck.

janiceC

Sep 13, 2005, 10:01 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1098 views)
Shortcut

Frowni still cant manage to leash her...yyyy?? besides,she doenst have the chain on her neck too..i've removed it cuz she will bite it...

by now she can listen to da command of 'sit' n 'hand'

i've got no idea how to teach a dog to stay...Unsure

www.dogster.com/?210313

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 13, 2005, 10:27 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1095 views)
Shortcut

Wow, you have a toy doggie only. Hold him down, with one hand on his throat and the other hand on his chest. Hold him this way until he surrenders, means relaxes completely with tail between hindquarters = submissive posture. You are the alpha, are you? Get a choke chain and start training your dog. Your dog wears the collar and you are holding the leash – not visa versa. Be persistent (or call it stubborn) and never take back any command given, just make sure he obeys, no matter how long it will take. Once done, praise him.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 14, 2005, 3:04 AM

Post #9 of 10 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

House teaching/training a dog/puppy is not that difficult.

The first thing to realise is that ... YOU need to learn how to train/teach a dog. If you have insufficient information, knowledge and understanding ~ there is NO WAY you are going to be able to teach/train a dog. And have a responsibility to your pup, to learn as much as you can.

What this forum can do is provide you with a little advice and perhaps some general guidance ~ but unless you make the effort to learn the basic principles of teaching/training a dog/pup, you will find it very hard trying to "learn" just by asking on this forum.

If you are serious about learning how to house teach/train you pup, will suggest the following steps:

(a) First, go to a good book shop and get a good dog training manual. There are many good books available, and almost all will have a section on house training. Most books these days will encourage "treat & praise" methods of training which is generally very effective.

(b) Second - read that book and apply the training methods consistently & diligently. For sure you will make some mistakes - we all do, but that is ok. Just learn and apply.

All that said - do understand that a pup will play, all puppies play. If a puppy is caged too long, when you let the pup out, it is going to want to play. All puppies "teeth", and at 5months your pup is changing to permanent teeth, with itchy gums - so puppy will bite & want to chew.

This is all normal behaviour for a pup.

What will make a difference is whether you - as the "owner" are prepared to take the time to learn and aquire the necessary information & knowledge & knowledge necessary to correctly and properly teach your dog how to behave properly in a human family environment.

And as mentioned before - the first step is to get a good training manual and read. Because a good training manual will also give you basic understanding of dog behaviour.

For more specific tips on house training - use the SEARCH function at the top of this website and there are many postings on how to teach/train a pup to pee and poop.

Cheers

janiceC

Sep 15, 2005, 6:42 AM

Post #10 of 10 (1079 views)
Shortcut

i'm trying to leash her now...hope things will be better..Wink
www.dogster.com/?210313

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my