Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Anyone can help me??

cpcraph
Novice

Aug 30, 2005, 10:57 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2852 views)
Shortcut
Anyone can help me?? Can't Post

Dear All I got many problem with my dog and hope your can help me on this. Unsure I got a Miniature Szhauzer (F) - MIKI since 25/03/2005 and until now almost 5 months. But she got so many problem and i dun know what to do. Miki now was 8 mths old. 1. Miki was very active and jealous dog. She treat everyone in my family very well and we love her very much. But once the door open she will run like "MAD" and without turning back her head. She run out from my house 5 times since i bought her, luckily i got her back e v time. But i do not understand why she wan to run away ??? i so scare i could't get her back if she run out again. 2. Miki bark e v one pass by or came in my house. When we ask her "NO BARK" she dun bother us and even louder. how can i stop this? i saw some people's dog, the owder just ask them "NO" then they will stop. Y she dun listen to me? She can understand comman very well, like sit, up, shake hand in 1 day. I buy the mussle but useless, talk to her nicely, shout her and even cane her also no use. i dun know what else i can do. My grandma was stay beside our house, e v time she came in my house she wan to bite her and brak her until my grandma dun even dare to came in our house. 3. She very jealous, i have a nephew who occassionaly will came to my house. Me and my sis cant hug or carry him. When we carry my nephew she will bark and wan to bite him. We let go her once when after bathing her, then she run away and jumping on my nephew and wan to bite him. Lucky my sis around.. otherwise my nephew will be..... 4. Miki like to eat everything on the floor. I do not understand why? because we always give her treats and never skip her meal (twice per day) and she was almost 8 kgs now. Can i know is this normal for schnauzer? cuz i have an uncle who also own a szhnauzer also not allow him to carry his grandchildren. But i thought dogs and children actually can get along very well. Hope your can help me to solve above problem and i will appreciate everyone's advise. Cheers! Stacy

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 31, 2005, 12:41 AM

Post #2 of 11 (2843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cpcraph] Anyone can help me?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, but your doggie does not understand your wish and when you did yell at him then he might have thought that you did join the fun (probably your way of barking).
The trick in stopping barking on command is to teach barking on command first.
Whenever he starts barking say the command word (e.g. speak) as a clear command word and praise him for doing exactly that. It might be a bit noisy for a while. Once he starts barking when you give the command then (and only then) you can say NO. Since he learnt a command to bark then he will link that to the next command (no) much easier.
The jealousy is mainly a misunderstanding as well. If everyone loves dogs in your family then it would be very easy to solve. Just ask everyone to join the grooming sessions and make sure that you are holding your dog in the down position. Everyone is touching & petting everywhere and is gentle and talking softly, but do NOT release him, no matter how much he is fighting, until he surrenders, means calms down.
Picking up food from the trash or floor is the same approach then barking. Make him do something before giving his meal. Everyone from your family should join is as well, so he learns to listen to all of you. Have him on his leash when feeding and say “no” and walk away from his bowl. Let him do something before you give the command to eat. He should look up to you and not at his bowl while waiting for your command.
Running simply around (or outside the house) is the same problem. Have him on leash before you open the door. Make sure that you are going first and he moves when he is given the command only. After a few days, he will wait for your command and not simply run.
Have fun. In case you have a problem with all of this then you could as well enlist your doggie in CGCC.

cpcraph
Novice

Aug 31, 2005, 1:22 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Anyone can help me?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi JoeSmith

Thank you for your reply. I got some quoestion as below.

Sorry, but your doggie does not understand your wish and when you did yell at him then he might have thought that you did join the fun (probably your way of barking).

When we shout at her she will stop. But when people walking she will bark. If someone came to my house, only can sit on the sofa. Once the person stand up, she will bark. We leash her when got visitor to my house. She will keep looking on that person, until the person leave my house. y?
ck in stopping barking on command is to teach barking on command first.
Whenever he starts barking say the command word (e.g. speak) as a clear command word and praise him for doing exactly that. It might be a bit noisy for a while. Once he starts barking when you give the command then (and only then) you can say NO. Since he learnt a command to bark then he will link that to the next command (no) much easier.

I will try on this.

The jealousy is mainly a misunderstanding as well. If everyone loves dogs in your family then it would be very easy to solve. Just ask everyone to join the grooming sessions and make sure that you are holding your dog in the down position. Everyone is touching & petting everywhere and is gentle and talking softly, but do NOT release him, no matter how much he is fighting, until he surrenders, means calms down.

I will try.

Picking up food from the trash or floor is the same approach then barking. Make him do something before giving his meal. Everyone from your family should join is as well, so he learns to listen to all of you. Have him on his leash when feeding and say “no” and walk away from his bowl. Let him do something before you give the command to eat. He should look up to you and not at his bowl while waiting for your command.

We will ask her "SIT" before give her the food. It's usefully. But when goin out, she cant stop to eat the things on the floor. eg. leave and stone. We need to lift up her head and say no then she will keep running. hai.....

Running simply around (or outside the house) is the same problem. Have him on leash before you open the door. Make sure that you are going first and he moves when he is given the command only. After a few days, he will wait for your command and not simply run.

She is not running around or outside my house. (we keep her in living room). Is far far away from my house. We need to chase after her and catch her back. My friends all don't have this problem. Some dog will stick to their owner and they will feel scare, but my gal will go and bark other dog and wan to fight with them.

Have fun. In case you have a problem with all of this then you could as well enlist your doggie in CGCC.
Sorry, can i know what is CGCC?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 1, 2005, 7:00 PM

Post #4 of 11 (2826 views)
Shortcut

It is a little difficult, especially when the neighbors are staring at you already. Do not touch your dog to make him stop barking. First, try to teach barking on command. It is the learning process, which keeps his mind occupied. It should enable you to teach the command for stop barking.

If you start feeding him when he is on leash and make an interruption during his meal. Go for a short walk (around the house) and return to his food bowl. Make him do something different. He should not be able to anticipate your next command. That will keep his attention on you. Once you can safely stop him from eating, means that you could use that outside too. He should spit out what he has in his mouth when you request it – that is the ultimate goal.

You have to keep your dog on a leash to ensure that he is not running away and is getting hurt or into trouble.

Use a very long line (maybe the one for drying clothes) and attach it to his collar when on a huge field. Let him explore the field until the line is fully extended. Then start walking in the different direction without saying anything or looking at him. The moment he tries to walk in the same direction then you do – change direction. Do that for about 10 minutes each day. I assure you that within 2 weeks the dog will walk next to you and you could work on the correct heel command.CGCC = canine good citizen class, that is something like basic obedience class and a certificate is given when your doggie passes the final test.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 1, 2005, 9:59 PM

Post #5 of 11 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Joe

may i know CGCC is offered by which party? thanks.

Regards,

Yang

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 1, 2005, 10:16 PM

Post #6 of 11 (2818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Anyone can help me?? [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't know?

You can participate ur dog in CGC at Puppy.com or MKA.

Refer this link for more info :

1. www.puppy.com.my/ob/whatiscgc.html

2. http://www.mka.org.my/sport_citizen.htm

Hope this help.Tongue

PSY
K9 Kaki

Sep 1, 2005, 10:32 PM

Post #7 of 11 (2813 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Just read your thread and my my you have had good advise from Joe. I am responding to your thread by just wanting to add to the "Dashing out of the house issue". I like to suggest to you to try this ;

1. Find a length of leash fairly long, anchor one end in the house and the other to a choke collar on the dog. Make sure the anchored end is either lower or just higher than the dog. Make sure when the door/gate is open the dog can actually go outside the door/gate about 1 or two body length out.

2. Use a length of Masking tape and make out the boundary where the gate/door should be when close.

3. Rest your foot on the leash to stop the dog from dashing out and get someone to open the door/gate and leave it ajar just wide enough for you and your dog to go through.

4. Proceed to walk through the door/gate, lifting your foot off the leash, if dog dashes out let it, it will stop once it runs out leash.

5. Now the moment comes whereby, you go out turn round and use your foot to step on the dogs front paws (not to hurt) and repeat the word "back or in" whatever you prefer and once it is behind the masking tape give your next command "wait' or whatever you wish and praise it.

Keep doing it a few times whether successful of not you give it a break every 15 mins, rest for 5 or ten and do it again. Your dog will get the message after awhile.

So to conclude the whole scenario is when you open the door any door or even door way in the house and you know your dog is following you can say wait and it should stop and wait till you invite it into the next room or out into the street for walks.

My three dogs does that now without command whenever any member of the family walks through a door way it will stop and wait. These three "pest" of mine also go straight into their respective kennels when anyone comes home when the gates open, however if a friend decides to drive into the driveway they will not go into their kennel so a recognition of cars is important for security.

Do try it out and please do not shout at the dog, just have fun.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 1, 2005, 11:22 PM

Post #8 of 11 (2808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Anyone can help me?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great idea, but I guess that this works best for dogs with no leash training. I could not stop smiling when I read about the advise to step on the leash. Try that with my dog when he is about to chase. Laugh

PSY
K9 Kaki

Sep 2, 2005, 3:38 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2798 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Great to read your posting....well with your dog one may need to get a 40 footer to use as anchor.

Like I say great to read your posting. Are you going to the 11th gathering at Utama One or near Utama One?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 2, 2005, 6:42 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Anyone can help me?? [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaugh Yeah, but fully loaded 40’LaughLaughLaugh

You seem to know bigger dogs and the immense power they have plus their huge advantage to be born as something like a 4-wheel-drive fitted with 1/2” spikes.

cpcraph
Novice

Sep 2, 2005, 7:39 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2786 views)
Shortcut

Dear All

Many thanks for your advise. I will try it out slowly and hope to see the result.

Appreciate for your time.

Cheers!

Stacy Wink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my