The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Aug 24, 2005, 5:30 PM

Post #1 of 15 (3209 views)
Shortcut
The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony Can't Post

www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/8/24/central/11813259&sec=central

Shock news from The Star this morning when I flip on the paper during breakfast ! gosh, how cud the owner say that !!! MadMad blardy irresponsible ! There is even the pics of the dog in the paper also the website above. what a poor thing ! read on....

Story and photos by CHIN MUI YOON

A POPULAR pet shop in Ikano Power Centre, Petaling Jaya, has come under fire for letting a sick dog under its care die without receiving medical care for two days.

A customer had returned a toy poodle to the Wonderful World of Pets inside the Pet Safari outlet two weeks ago when the animal was found to be suffering from severe diarrhoea due to a viral infection.

The puppy was put into a cat cage and left in a secluded corner of the store near the fire exit. It could not take any food or water but no veterinarian attended to it.

When The Star visited Pet Safari on Aug 10, the puppy had already died and its legs were hanging through the cage bars underneath which was a puddle of bloodied, watery stools.

The poodle died a painful, miserable death in a secluded corner near the emergency exit stairwell.
The puppy section is managed by the Wonderful World of Pets, which is renting space at Pet Safari alongside eight other tenants.

The Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) animal inspector Sabrina Yeap said this was a case of unchecked animal abuse in pet shops.

“The bloodied watery stools are an indication of a dog stricken with the Parvo virus, or it could have been suffering from internal bleeding due to a fall or a beating,” she said.

“It is normally difficult to save the animal when it has reached this acute stage. However, the poodle should have been euthanised and allowed to to die in a humane way,” she explained.

Wonderful World of Pets director Lewis Tan admitted there was a breach of protocol by his pet shop in handling the case.

“I was not in town, and my staff tried giving it food and water,” he said.

“We were waiting for our vet who was unable to come.

“The puppy was suffering from a genetic virus attack and its antibodies could not overcome it. There was little chance of it surviving.

“Being Buddhists, we do not believe in putting animals to sleep,” he added.

Yeap said the SPCA could not accept such an excuse given by the pet shop.

“Pet Safari has eight other tenants under its roof, including one that provides qualified veterinary services,” said Yeap.

“Why didn’t Tan get the vet to attend to the animal? Or he could’ve sent the puppy to any other vet outside Ikano, the nearest being in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, just 10 minutes away.

“Immediate action should have been taken when such a severely sick animal is placed under the pet shop’s care. It was pointless having workers feed the animal.

“From the SPCA’s point of view, any action that causes an animal to suffer is animal abuse. Irresponsible pet shops that do not care for animals should not be allowed to get away with it,” she added.

Veterinary Services Department, Shah Alam director Tee Thian See said his department would not take any action because they “did not see anything,” although there were witnesses and photographic evidence.

“Everything was in order when we checked the shop,” he told The Star.

“We can only monitor the situation. There was nothing there when we visited, so how can we take up the case?”

On Tuesday, Yeap, Tan and Pet Safari director Ng Whye Hoe held a meeting to clarify the issue.

Ng said Pet Safari was horrified at such an incident and promised to revise tenancy regulations. He said as landlord, Pet Safari had the authority to intervene if there were suspected cases of animal abuse under its roof.

“As a responsible pet company with over six years experience in Malaysia and Singapore, we will not tolerate such acts of cruelty,” he told StarMetro.

“We acknowledge that it happened at our premises and we will not avoid the issue.

“We pledge to improve our services and care to the animals.

“We are shocked because we select our tenants carefully and we have over 100 years of combined experience between all our nine tenants,” explained Ng.

The SPCA appeals to other buyers of similarly sick puppies to make statements or to report cases of animal abuse in pet shops by calling 03-4256 5312.

cheers,
minglmy

kaerb

Aug 24, 2005, 7:42 PM

Post #2 of 15 (3172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

I just read the paper too....Shocking!!!! Especially since this happened in such a public place....it really shows that pet shop owners do not care whether their animals are safe, frequently doggies and cats are just left to die or worse, abandoned on a street when they are sick. Ultimately they only care about their bottom-line, that's it.....

Its also very disappointing to see that the authorities are not taking any action against the owner, since there was so many eye-witnesses.... its just frustrating, what's the point in asking people to report animal abuse? When all the SPCA or other relevant authorities take the longest time to inspect the place, and after which, just issue a warning and no serious action is taken....

They should really impose a really harsh punishment, so people take animal abuse more seriously.

just my thoughts,

rach

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 24, 2005, 10:59 PM

Post #3 of 15 (3140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaerb, minglmy] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

alarming but i think that is pretty much just the tip of the iceberg. that case was discovered. what about the undiscovered cases?

what about unscrupulous breeders? or even backyard breeders? folks who breed for fun, for money or simply because of a reason that their furkid is so cuteeeeeeeeeeeee?

the disappointing part is the fact that no action would be taken despite there being material evidence and witnesses.

poor pup...may the pup be having tonnes of fun now at the rainbow bridge where there is plenty of play, laughter and treats!

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Aug 25, 2005, 12:33 AM

Post #4 of 15 (3123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaerb] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, what got to me is that the Vet's dept cant (or dont want) to do anything even with the evidence of witness + pictures. If with these also no one can do anything.... then we report cases for what ? how can they ensure a case can be brought to court and owner charged when with this picture + witness case also they cudn't b bother.

As for petshops bottom line.... well this is just 1 case that we get to see in the public. there is lots more others that is hidden / swept under the carpet that we do not know of.

Being a Buddhist and does not practice killing ? what kind of lame excuse is this ?

cheers,
minglmy

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Aug 25, 2005, 12:35 AM

Post #5 of 15 (3115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

what about unscrupulous breeders? or even backyard breeders? folks who breed for fun, for money or simply because of a reason that their furkid is so cuteeeeeeeeeeeee?

U get tons of those .... and see where the pups ended in ? a cage with the leg hanging and bloody stool - lifeless and this is just 1 case we "hear" in the papers tha is being made known.

cheers,
minglmy

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 25, 2005, 3:09 AM

Post #6 of 15 (3086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading the article,u can clearly tell they were excuses.
"out of town"....i'm sure he was.
Anyway,I wish the all the best to SPCA n hopefully no "hanky-panky"....
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

ladee_m
Doggyman

Aug 27, 2005, 3:06 AM

Post #7 of 15 (2989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

Ello

Support ur point... u can say that again & a thousand times more!!!

2 poodles dead in less than one month in the hands of the same management!!! many many other countless breeds which nobody knows & hear about... sure hope they go down down down ...

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

chrisong
Doggyman

Aug 28, 2005, 4:40 AM

Post #8 of 15 (2961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

Try avoid bringing ur furkid there anymore. Sure that place contain parvo virus or other deadly virus that are dangerous to our furkid.Mad

ladee_m
Doggyman

Aug 28, 2005, 4:59 AM

Post #9 of 15 (2956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

Ello

One thing i never do is bring my furkids to petshops... never feel good coz like u say lotsa viruses & sickness... dun ever take the risk... Wink

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Aug 31, 2005, 3:05 AM

Post #10 of 15 (2904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

hey chris...

well dun worry about bringing your dog there.. they have cleaned up the place and its free of virus.. if the place is infected then those doggies that board there would have gotten it since parvo is air borne.. dun worry much..pet safari has taken all the measures to ensure it is clean and virus free.. it has been all these while until tht idiot go do something like tht.. i bring my girls there often and they are fine even after the incident..dun worry much..
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

phekling19

Aug 31, 2005, 4:33 AM

Post #11 of 15 (2900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya! I strongly believe that it's Pet Safari's fault. Stop giving lame excuses d la! At least those people have 'heart' won't go there again. By the way, I just realised that Pet Safari's pet section is actually belong to Wonderful World Of Pet...Errmm...Why these pet shops are so irresponsible and no conscience? They treat the pets like products....Sick, Sad, Sob...
Pet Safari and WWOP Boss...please don't tell people you're buddhist or you're probably a superficial buddhist. Frown
A Hopeless Dog Lover and love dogs as if no tomorrow ... Frown
NO CRUELTY TO ANIMALS Frown
www.dogster.com/?188399.

chrisong
Doggyman

Aug 31, 2005, 6:52 AM

Post #12 of 15 (2897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

The place is cleaning up daily I also don't want to bring my furkid there anymore. Prevention better that cure. If that day really bad luck kena already cry also no use

ladee_m
Doggyman

Aug 31, 2005, 9:46 AM

Post #13 of 15 (2891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phekling19] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

Ello

PPl are like that... finding lame excauses & looking for scapegoat all the time... they run into dead end one day & we'll just stand & laugh at them... in this case, the person is so darn desperate he dig out a dead poodle to blame & religion... he may have to prepare a gud answer when he meets the big guy up there end of his time...

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Aug 31, 2005, 6:38 PM

Post #14 of 15 (2877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phekling19] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

hi phekling,

well actually the one who should be responsible is the WONderful world of pets boss.. it is him who did all these..and he dares to he's a buddhist somemore...as for safari's boss well i would say he partly responsible too cos he's the one who brought in the tenant but at least he will do wht he should do.. i think we should like boycott tht idiot boss of WONDERFUL WORLD OF PETS rather than safari.. WONDERFUL WORLD OF PETS is in SS2..his other branch..and nobody knws how many doggies are suffering there..at least pet safari there is someone who is in charge n check on them but his SS2 branch belongs to him so he can do whtever he wants without anyone's knowledge..he has no humanity for doggies at alll!!!!
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Sep 1, 2005, 6:15 AM

Post #15 of 15 (2854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] The Star Metro Article : Dog left to die in agony [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt that he can understand the word "humanity and compassion" nuff said.

cheers,
minglmy

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my