Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
Housebreaking Nightmare

stacey
Novice

Aug 19, 2005, 12:23 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1833 views)
Shortcut
Housebreaking Nightmare Can't Post

I just bought a Golden Retreiever puppy..he's just 5 weeks old... i have started training him to go potty in my apt toilet...but it backfired...now... he insist on going to the toilet to sleep and goes potty around the house..help me... it is too early to start housebreaking now? i usually leave him in his play pen for his meal n when no one is around to attend to him.I have tried locking him in the toilet after naps and after meals until he "does his thing" but he ends up sleeping in the toilet n when i let him out.. he goes potty in the living room or in his play pen..

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 25, 2005, 6:50 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stacey] Housebreaking Nightmare [In reply to] Can't Post

Put newspaper on the floors so he would know where 2 do his thing. It's not that late 2 start anyway. It's the perfect age for it 2 learn.

Or, lock him in the toilet with u in it. Make hiim a bit excited and when he did his thing in the tooilet, praise him with snackage.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

chrisong
Doggyman

Aug 25, 2005, 7:21 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1780 views)
Shortcut

First of all, where you got the Golden pup? It still very young to leave his mother and required his mother milk. Besides this there are alot of reason why I advice people don't get a pup that is atleast 8 week old onward. NVM, since you already brought him hope he will be ok.

Fence him up all the time (does't mean you cannot let him out to play). Put some newspaper inside and a bowl of water for him. He will now learn where to poopoo or peepee. Normally in the newspaper. Basically will take you atleast 2 month from now that your pup will familiar in doing his business on the newspaper. Slowly, in a day let him out for few hour. Select a suitable place for him where would you like him to go by placing a tray with newspaper. Make sure he peepee & poopoo on the newspaper ya. As the days goes by extend the freedom hour in a day for him. When you think he is already you no need to fence him again. Good luck. Hope you understand what I trying to explain hereBlush Hehehe

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 25, 2005, 7:33 AM

Post #4 of 9 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

Dogs, (especially pups) find comfort and security in "dens". In the wild, a den probably be a little cave or a shaded corner or shelter under some bushes, these would be the most common places a female will drop a litter, and a den would be the natural place for a pup to spend its first 3months of life ... You will find that most breeders try to recreate a "den" for their pups.

By confining your pup in the toilet, what you may have done is this ~ you have encouraged your pup to treat your toilet as its "den". In other words, as far as your pup is concerned, the toilet is where it feels most at home, that is why he sleeps and rests there ... And once the toilet becomes a dog's den, then it is again natural instinct for your pup not to poo or pee in its "home" - so it poos & pees elsewhere (which now unfortunately means the rest of your house.

5weeks is not too early to toilet train. In fact this is the best time.

But do you know correct methods to toilet train?

Suggestions:

(a) Use the search function & find all the previous postings on toilet training. This topic has been discussed many times over.

(b) Alternatively, go to a good book shop and get a book on puppy training - almost all training books will have a chapter/section on toilet training.

OR better still ~ do both Wink

This is a good book for beginners ... http://www.amazon.com/...ng=UTF8&v=glance

The first step to successfully toilet training a pup, is for the owner to learn how to toilet train. Once you learn how, toilet training a pup becomes easy.

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Aug 25, 2005, 7:35 AM)

woof
Dog Kichi

Sep 19, 2005, 10:27 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1708 views)
Shortcut
Re: Housebreaking Nightmare [In reply to] Can't Post

Heeadache ler fren, Pirate

I hef a 3months GR, n kept it at my wet area of my condo fenced up recently i bought her, tot of letting her be there for 2 weeks so that her smell would be there n she will know how to go there n pee n poo eventually but the issue is, he schedule of peepoo is not consistent, which give headache. Every morning b4 i go to work i will feed her, play for a while, she will pee n poo after that but sometimes not at all n when she don't when i got home, i will need to clean up the harden droppings with her moving around spreading the droppings all over the place, will need to clean it up, mop it wif anti bacteria's detergent n den dry clean it. tot of trying to teach her how to pee poo n newspaper, the next morning, the newspaper is bitten to small pieces n everywhere n she kena food poisoning the next 2 days, which caused the diarrohoea.

Anyone can help to advise how to train her to pee n poo in the toilet n at the right spot ?

I read dog wont pee n pooo at where they sleep but mine seems to be doing it hmm ...... pls help, thanks.

Yours in the World of Animal,
Woof Woof

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 20, 2005, 8:34 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [woof] Housebreaking Nightmare [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Woof ...

" ... I read dog wont pee n pooo at where they sleep but mine seems to be doing it hmm ..." The reason why your dog pees & poops where she sleeps is probably because you cooped her up in the wet-area of your condo for 2 weeks. By instinct a dog will not pee or poop where it sleeps, but by cooping up your dog in the wet-area for 2 weeks - you may have just destroyed that healthy instinct and taught your dog a bad habit. By confining your dog the way you did - you probably forced your dog to learn how to pee & poop where she sleeps ~ WELL DONE! " ... tot of trying to teach her how to pee poo n newspaper, the next morning, the newspaper is bitten to small pieces n everywhere n she kena food poisoning the next 2 days, which caused the diarrohoea ..." Toilet training with newspaper does not mean leaving the newspaper overnight for your dog to chew. When you leave a 3month old puppy (who is probably starting to teeth) with newspaper - what do you expect? Of course lar - the pup will chew newspaper. " ... Every morning b4 i go to work i will feed her, play for a while, she will pee n poo after that but sometimes not at all n when she don't when i got home, i will need to clean up the harden droppings with her moving around spreading the droppings all over the place ..." Your dog is 3 months old and you expect her to hold her poop all day long until you get home? The Golden Retriever is a wonderful breed ... but if you are not careful - you will end up teaching your dog everything she SHOULD NOT be doing. " ... Anyone can help to advise how to train her to pee n poo in the toilet n at the right spot? ..." YES - YOU CAN. Please read my post above and please go and learn how to properly rear and train your dog, or she will end up paying the price. Crazy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 20, 2005, 8:34 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Hello Woof ...

" ... I read dog wont pee n pooo at where they sleep but mine seems to be doing it hmm ..." The reason why your dog pees & poops where she sleeps is probably because you cooped her up in the wet-area of your condo for 2 weeks. By instinct a dog will not pee or poop where it sleeps, but by cooping up your dog in the wet-area for 2 weeks - you may have just destroyed that healthy instinct and taught your dog a bad habit. By confining your dog the way you did - you probably forced your dog to learn how to pee & poop where she sleeps ~ WELL DONE! " ... tot of trying to teach her how to pee poo n newspaper, the next morning, the newspaper is bitten to small pieces n everywhere n she kena food poisoning the next 2 days, which caused the diarrohoea ..." Toilet training with newspaper does not mean leaving the newspaper overnight for your dog to chew. When you leave a 3month old puppy (who is probably starting to teeth) with newspaper - what do you expect? Of course lar - the pup will chew newspaper. " ... Every morning b4 i go to work i will feed her, play for a while, she will pee n poo after that but sometimes not at all n when she don't when i got home, i will need to clean up the harden droppings with her moving around spreading the droppings all over the place ..." Your dog is 3 months old and you expect her to hold her poop all day long until you get home? The Golden Retriever is a wonderful breed ... but if you are not careful - you will end up teaching your dog everything she SHOULD NOT be doing. " ... Anyone can help to advise how to train her to pee n poo in the toilet n at the right spot? ..." YES - YOU CAN. Please read my post above and please go and learn how to properly rear and train your dog, or she will end up paying the price. Crazy

woof
Dog Kichi

Sep 20, 2005, 6:44 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Housebreaking Nightmare [In reply to] Can't Post

OK OK got what u mean Surchin Unsure Thanks.

Paiseh, first time keeping a dog by myself.

1st thing 1st, gotta get a book. Normally how u all toilet train ur dog in condo's ?

Just wanna get some idea on how normally people do.

My plan, to let the dog run around the house n to toilet train her to pee poo in toilet. Just that my gf concern the bulu of the dog seems to fly everywhere n scare dat it will land on food.

Is this a good plan ?

In Reply To
Hello Woof ...

Yours in the World of Animal,
Woof Woof

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 21, 2005, 1:57 AM

Post #9 of 9 (1667 views)
Shortcut

Ok Woof ... time for serious serious talk ... Tongue ...

It's all a learning curve - life is a learning curve - learning to how to live with a dog is a learning curve ... and same same for dog. For puppy or young dog to learn how to live with people is also a learning curve.

And what is even more important, for a dog to co-exist happily in a human environment, the dog has to unlearn some of its basic instincts and learn new things ... or the dog usually pays the price - not people.

For example: A dog barks & bites (those are natural instincts for a dog) but unless a dog learns not to bark or bite indescriminately, then living in a human environment is impossible for the dog - and the dog ends up being abandoned or put to sleep!

And it's your responsibility and duty - as owner & friend of your dog to teach your dog what it needs to learn to live & survive in a human environment - or your dog may have to pay the price.

But how are you going to train or teach - if you (as owner & friend) don't learn the correct methods to teach? ... How lar? ... You think your dog is going to MPH and pick a book on the human condition? ... That responsibility is yours alone (as owner & friend) - NOT your dog.

And remember the period of time for "learning curve" for humans & dogs is NOT THE SAME. If you dilly-dally for 3 months - suddenly the dog already an adult with incorrect or wrong ingrained habits. And then instead of teaching/training - you have to untrain and retrain - which is sooo much more difficult.

Your wrote: "... My plan, to let the dog run around the house n to toilet train her to pee poo in toilet. Just that my gf concern the bulu of the dog seems to fly everywhere n scare dat it will land on food ..."

OK - first thing - if you got dog - then you get bulu2 ... PERIOD! Just like if got GF, then life must change - cannot continue living like bachelor neh. And if you want to teach your dog to pee/poop in the toilet - that is ok - but you need to learn how to do it properly.

Toilet training in house, condo, in jungle or city - is same same. Whichever method or style of teaching/training is also same same - It is all about consistency & regularity.

Now ~ I am not going to write how to toilet training here. Over the past 2 years in this forum - I have posted this topic so many times - tired already!

You go use the SEARCH FUNCTION - type in "house training" & "toilet training" & read the previous posts on this topic.

Try this post for a start:

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=194897;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

What I will say is this - IT IS NOT DIFFICULT TOILET TRAINING A DOG - it is far more difficult trying to teach a human being! ... The more consistent you are the faster a dog learns how to pee & poop in the right place. The younger the dog - the easier to teach toilet training.

Remember the "time line" for humans & dogs is not the same. You need to start learning how to properly teach/train now not next week or next month. Your pup is growing all the time.

And last word - you cannot learn how to teach or train a dog by just exchanging posts on a forum like this!!! You need to learn the basics and then you need to spend time with your dog - and not sit in front of the PC screen.

So - go ... and do what you need to do ... All the best ... Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my