Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
TOILET TRAINING 4 DOGGY

Castelli
Novice

Feb 27, 2005, 1:35 AM

Post #1 of 11 (2752 views)
Shortcut
TOILET TRAINING 4 DOGGY Can't Post

JUST WANNA SHARE SOMETHING I FOUND ON THE NET ... i hope it can be useful for you.

The secret to successful toilet training lies in PREVENTION, not correction! Unless your dog is about 80-90% reliably toilet trained, it must not have the run of the house. Make sure you have a safe, puppy-proofed area where the dog will stay when you are unable to supervise him. This area will also serve as the dog’s toilet if it is to be trained to do its business on newspapers. A safe area could be either a playpen or the kitchen/laundry area.

• Decide if you want to train the dog to do its business on newspapers or grass. When using newspapers, don’t worry if your puppy shred and play with the papers. It will outgrow the habit. If it is grass, always go to the same area for the dog’s toilet. The smell will encourage the dog to do its business.

• Avoid free feeding (i.e. leaving food out all day). Puppies under 5 months old should be fed at least three meals a day. During meal times, leave the food on the floor for no more than 15 minutes. Remove the food after 15 minutes. This prevents a fussy eater and the dog will learn to eat during mealtimes. Having regular mealtimes will also enable you to monitor your dog’s food intake.

• Puppies are not able to control their bladder very well. They must be brought to do their toilet every hour or so whenever they are out of their confinement area.

• If the puppy makes a mistake, do NOT scream, yell or punish the puppy! The puppy didn’t make a mistake. You made the mistake of not keeping a close eye on it.

HAPPY TRAINING!

kwtum
New User

Mar 1, 2005, 1:57 AM

Post #2 of 11 (2710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Castelli] TOILET TRAINING 4 DOGGY [In reply to] Can't Post

tips sound good, but practical is a nightmare....

hv been trying to potty train my 2.5month shihtzu on newspaper for week...only successful when let him out of his cage every morning, after that when

we let him round around in house, he will pee & poo everywhere...

Have started pushing his face to smell his on poo & smacking his backside, then put him on newspaper to show him how to do it.

Till now, no success yet.....Now trying to put him in enclosed area(kitchen) till he goes, then only let him out...

SIGH......

MisterStan
Doggyman

Mar 1, 2005, 2:07 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kwtum] TOILET TRAINING 4 DOGGY [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there

i realized that my shih tzu got mood... when she is in good mood, she pee poo in newspaper, and when she is bad mood, she pee poo in the carpet... PiratePiratePiratePirate

pretty72
Novice

Aug 15, 2005, 11:57 PM

Post #4 of 11 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Just FYI, that kind of "training" will only make your dog lose respect for you. There is no fast miracle way to train the dog to go where you want him to. If your dog is making messes in the house it is because you arent watching him carefully enough. Pushing the dogs face into it, and hitting him will make him scared of you when you come near him, and may result in submissive peeing.
Frown

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 16, 2005, 5:12 PM

Post #5 of 11 (2364 views)
Shortcut

Don’t expect miracles, even human need month to learn that and you would not push a baby’s face into his diapers, isn’t it?

Personally, I do not believe in newspaper training. I taught my dogs to go outside whenever they need to go.

I started when they are very young and sleeping in a crate. They would start crying before they mess up their own sleeping area. That is a natural behavior and I took full advantage of it. I carried them to the toilet area, but harness fitted. I waited quietly, no talking, no playing and no moving around. Once they made their business, I started praising and showing joy, as like as I did strike the lottery. We left the toilet area and played a little. After each meal, I went with them to the toilet area and certainly before retiring. I used a baby alarm to be able to hear them crying at night. During daytime I kept a close eye on them and whenever they started sniffing or tried to pee or poop, I said firmly NO and carried them immediately to the toilet area. My female dogs were housebroken within a week, the male dogs needed a little longer.BTW, accidents happen, but I do not say anything. I just move them out of sight and clean up the area VERY carefully with a special cleaner. This stuff breaks down the smell; hence, your puppy won’t remember it and won’t mess the same spot. If you do any harsh action then they will remember it and that is exactly what you don’t want to happen.

mikichua
Novice

Aug 19, 2005, 12:04 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] TOILET TRAINING 4 DOGGY [In reply to] Can't Post

What can i say, probably you are good at training dogs. i can't really get my dog do it. ever since i took her in, i brought her out from the out from the house to pee or poo. until today is already 10 month with me and still my dog won't do it automatically. even my hse door is wide open. especially when she is with her ball/toys, she is like a small kid. she will play until she really cannot tahan then pee and poo right on the spot she is currently standing.

then i thought of letting her pee or poo on the newspaper but end up the whole hse is a total mesh. i think i am gonig to faint.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 19, 2005, 5:18 PM

Post #7 of 11 (2341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikichua] TOILET TRAINING 4 DOGGY [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, I had dogs around me all my life and I learnt a great deal from my dad.

It seems that you are not position yourself as the alpha and that you did not make your point clear to the dog.

How heavy is she? Can you lift her from the ground? Carry her for a short distance?

It is of utmost importance that you get the house cleared of all pee and poop smell. You have to invest in the special cleaning stuff (sold in pet shops), otherwise you will not be able to break the habit.

Does she sleeps in a crate? Does she mess up her crate too? Sorry, there are few ways of achieving proper toilet training and it varies according to the dog’s character.

Basically, you could follow those simple steps:

The moment she starts doing business (if you can’t see the intention to do it) you have to YELL in your best command voice “NO” and lift her from the ground immediately. Carry her to the “right” spot and be with her in this area until she finishes her business. NO playing around, NO petting. That is a place for doing business and that means serious business, no playtime. Once she finishes, then praise her, briefly but clearly.

Create a routine and take her appr. 30 minutes after meal to the toilet area. Walk around this area until she starts doing her business. In your best command voice say her name and pause for a second (just to give her time to realize you meant her) and then say the command word for doing pee & poop (whichever word you have choosen). Praise her when done.I assure you that you will have her doing it on command and at the toilet area in less then a month.

mikichua
Novice

Aug 23, 2005, 8:39 PM

Post #8 of 11 (2284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] TOILET TRAINING 4 DOGGY [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks alot Joe.

Yes i can lift her. i tried the "NO" command before but she will walk and pooh until she reaches her crate where she can hide herself by making msitakes. i think she knows it. but i dun beat her because i blame my slef for not giving her 100% attention whenever she is out from her crate. the thing is, i can't always looking at her...after i let her out to poo and let her in the hse, she will poo again.

she dun dirty her crate. that's the most wonderful think i think she ever did. ;p

i am having a routine for her to pee and pooh. everyday, morning and nite... before and after my work. one thing i notice about my dog is that she poo and pee little by little. and there is no timing..meaning that whenever i bring her out for a walk she will pee and poo again. not twice per day in this sense is like 4 or 5 times per day! she is already 13 months old.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 24, 2005, 2:26 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2276 views)
Shortcut

mikichua

juz to add some points here, indeed u have to scold ur dog when she does wrong, BUT it must be ON THE SPOT. dogs are not able to link with ur scoldings even u bring her to the spot she pee wrongly AFTER the incident.

but it will be helpful & the dog will be easier to understand what she does wrongly if u scold her with a firm "NO!" "BAD BOY/GAL!" something like that on the spot. after that bring her to the right place where she suppose to do her business & tell her, "pee here, good gal" with a praising tone.

& not to forget dogs loves to do things which she will feel happy, so dont forget to praise ur dog a lo0OT when she pee at her right place, even not on the spot. let her know whenever u saw her pee & poo at the right spot u will give her reward, at that apot of corse.

erm.. hope this help. at least this does help when i train mydogs. now my dogs are so happy, they tend to keep their pee & wait for me to come back so tht i can praise them. sometimes they evenpurposely squeeze out 1 or 2 drop of pee on the newspaper in front of me juz to get some treats. hope ur dog will have a happy pee & po training.

cheers Tongue patient is the key when u wish to train ur dog.

Regards,

Yang

(This post was edited by leecy on Aug 24, 2005, 2:30 AM)

mikichua
Novice

Aug 24, 2005, 2:47 AM

Post #10 of 11 (2269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] TOILET TRAINING 4 DOGGY [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks leecy and joe!

i'll start the training method you both taught me immediately. thanks alot.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 24, 2005, 7:13 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Well, you supposed to lift her WHILE she is doing the mistake and carry her, while complaining (NO, bad girl), to the right spot and praising her there, while she is doing it right.

I doubt that your dog has a health problem but if the pee and poop attitude while walking persist then you might consider to get her checked by a good vet.

BTW, never ever need to beat your doggie – it hurts only and does not improve the situation.

You might consider to switch to another food, since a lot of pee & poop indicates that most of the food was not digestible to her; hence, so much wastage.You would be surprised how little comes out of your dog when feeding BARF diet.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my