First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

WendyS
Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2005, 5:14 PM

Post #26 of 64 (1340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [soze][nicky_spykeaz] mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Soze & Nicky,

I wish to ask questions about mixed breed, hope this is the right thread....I believe both of you are experienced, hope you can help....

I had my first dog one year ago, she is a golden retriever. Then about 1 month ago, I adopted a mixed breed from serene_kwlim. Sweet Pea (my mixed breed pup) is about 3 months old, she is very playful & intelligent. I can teach her almost anything (dog training of course Tongue), but there is one thing I find quite difficult to handle, ie. she whines a lot whenever she sees me, she just want my attention...when I ignore her, she will even climb out from her playpen....I know she wants freedom, but sometimes I don't want to let her out when I'm busy. I have tried to ignore her, she will be quiet after some time, but if she sees me walking pass her, she will whine again. I have also tried to scold her loud loud and even hit the playpen to scare her, she will come down from the pen but will climb up again after I turned my head away. She is very determined, brave & smart as compared to my GR, that's why she does not give up easily. Are most of the mixed breed like that? How do I train her to stay in the pen quietly until I'm free to play with her? Or am I worry too much that she just need time to adjust to the environment?

Heehee, do you think Sweet Pea will grow up to look a bit like Sasha later?
Attachments: SPclimbing.jpg (65.9 KB)
  SPtraining.jpg (93.2 KB)

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2005, 5:57 PM

Post #27 of 64 (1324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WendyS] [nicky_spykeaz] mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, it nothing to with pure breed or not when come to your dog determination. I wouldn't call myself as experinced when come to training.

I hope this can help. By what you describe is you punishment do not apply to her directly. When you hit the playpen, she know it scary but not pain, only loud sound appear. What i did to train my dog is i punish them using a newspaper roll. It good cuz i try to it on myself and is really not pianful but the sound Poof..scary wor.. At the same time, when you hit them when the newspaper roll, they know they will kena not the playpen. Then they know it might be pain cuz it have contact with their skin. When she repeat mistake or dont any mistake you dont want, hit her with the newspaper roll on her butt, and said very firm tone of "NO".. It will take a few time for her to learn but next time when she see the newspaper roll, she will jump off into her playpen faster than you can think LaughLaugh

Dog whine because they spend quite a amount of time alone so when she see human, they get excited and tend to be playful. What i can suggest, you can buy her some toy to play with. No need expensive toy. I brought my furkids toys from Giant hypermarket. those squeeky toys baby use for bath..It safe and it make noise when they play.Me sometime too cheapskate when come to toys Tongue

About her stay in playpen when she need to, a routine. My bobby will not go hairwire when i go to college in the morning, he know it not playing time so he sit quietly not jumping here and there like a mad dog i call him sometime. Bobby have a favourite, a red blaring ball. It actually tell him that it time to play. Each day, i make an effort to play with him without fail and it actually became a routine. So each time he see his "favourite red ball" he go bong bong. LaughCrazyLaughCrazy.

So maybe you can try her with a toy she know she will get play when she see it. It take quite sometime to train but it paid off esp when my Bobby love to go kai kai and play..IF not i have to change and change clothes b4 i make my way to college Unimpressed

Well this one is extra advise, cuz it happen to me b4, about the socket near your playpen, maybe you want to make sure your plug is far away beyond her reach. Cuz when Bobby is small and like your very curiosity, he bit and my whole house when blackout. Lucky he didnt get shock. This is addition hope you dont mind.

Hope it can help.

Cheers ya,

Nicki the Devil live by the reputation of the name

boBby is a craz3 car PassaNger
Fat FaT other case Elegant Car GuEst
What make Me?
A LoYal huMan Driver.... Frown

NoBody is Prefect, Guess What i am Nobody
Nice to meet YOu

(Bobby+Nicky craze JT memBer)

BoBby San DogstEr
http://www.dogster.com/?158414

http://spykeaz-devil.blogspot.com/

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2005, 6:27 PM

Post #28 of 64 (1322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [soze] mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

Yupe tell me when you need it lor..as long you dont mind old stuff..Tongue

Cheers ya,

What make Me?

Nice to meet YOu

BoBby San DogstEr

WendyS
Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2005, 6:37 PM

Post #29 of 64 (1322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nicky_spykeaz] [nicky_spykeaz] mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Nicky,

Thanks so much for your advice. We use the newpaper roll also, it's right that you said she will jump off when she sees it, but very quickly she will climb again, I have to repeat this many times before she keeps quiet. Ok, I'll try to hit her butt straight away, instead of giving her warning.....

She has 6 toys now, I rotate them for her to play, what she wants the most is my attention. She is quiet when other family members are around, as long as I'm not around. As soon as she sees me, she would want to play. I give her rawhide chewstick/greenies/biscuits to keep her occupied, but she finished them so fast, then she demands for attention again! Your suggestion to have a fav ball as indication for playtime is good, I'll try that!

Waa...Bobby bit the socket until the whole house blackout Crazy...luckily nothing bad happen to him. I'll talk to my husband about that, maybe to move the playpen....I'm thinking whether to use a crate also, but worry that will make things worse. Unsure

soze
Dog Kichi

Aug 16, 2005, 10:04 AM

Post #30 of 64 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WendyS] [nicky_spykeaz] mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

i think nicky had got it all explained... he is better person to explain too.. me still learning lol... anyway.. everydog has its curiosity... make sure you punish when she made mistake immediately.. dun wait... then walk away dun bother and dun play with her... when she made mistake always do the same thing... once she is used to it she wont make the mistake already.. its all about training...

about getting a toy.. get 1 or 2 is enuf... and buying those corn chewable is no use.. buy the nyla bone instead... its durable... although its non colorful and doesnt give sound its good when your dog learns to chew... at least she don chew everywhere :P

3 months is still very young... SweetPea is really very beautiful... she looks really intelligent indeed... post more of her pics lar.. and btw.. dogs need running space... dun always put her in the play pen.. try to let them run around.. .put them in when you are really busy or at night...

Do something while you still can during your life...
coz if you don't, you haven't lived....

WendyS
Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2005, 5:29 PM

Post #31 of 64 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [soze] [nicky_spykeaz] mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried the hard way on Sweet Pea yesterday, I think it worked. Yesterday when I reached home, she wanted to come out again, I straight away took the newspaper roll to beat her butt, this repeated twice, then she didn't climb up again Smile Although her eyes still followed me whenever I moved, at least she waited for me quietly until I finished my dinner & settled down.

Ooo, don't worry I normally let her out after my dinner, then she can run the whole house until I go to bed, I train her daily also. Training her is quite easy because she likes food a lot, she knows come, sit, down, around, up, stand, roll over, fetch, drop & eliminate on command, she is still practising all these to be perfect. She is willing to do a series of actions before she gets her treat, so it's kind of fun!

Yesterday me & my children played bubbles & lantern at the garden, so she got the chance to play as well, together with Daisy. Daisy is a little bit rough on her, but she can escape very well, she either ran back to the house or hid under Daisy's cage where Daisy couldn't reach her...Wink She had so much exercise yesterday, she didn't make a noise when I put back to her playpen (first time she is like that)...this morning she waited for me quietly in the playpen also, I'm so surprised that she is so good girl today! Sly

You are the 2nd person told me Nyla bones are good, I thought it's too hard in the beginning....well, I'll buy that after she finished the current ones. Thanks ya.....

(This post was edited by WendyS on Aug 16, 2005, 5:31 PM)

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Aug 16, 2005, 8:14 PM

Post #32 of 64 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WendyS] mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulation on your patience and sucess on training Sweet PeaFrownFrownFrown
Come i reward u a bone Frown and a bone to Sweet Pea for being a sweet by herselfFrown

Cheers ya,

What make Me?

Nice to meet YOu

BoBby San DogstEr

WendyS
Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2005, 9:34 PM

Post #33 of 64 (1299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nicky_spykeaz] mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya...patience is the key! Thanks for your , and here is the from Sweet Pea.TongueWink

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 16, 2005, 11:34 PM

Post #34 of 64 (1292 views)
Shortcut

pacco also same as ur sweet pea la....

she is very quietly and obedient the whole day... but as soon as i reach home at 8pm she start to bark non-stop until i entertain her....n she like jumping up and down.....

n during the weekend, i'll finally had a chance to have dinner wit my family...pacco will be make those funny noises when she see me sitting at the dining table (coz her territory, the balcony is just beside the dining room)..so in order to let my grandparent to eat peacefully, i had to bring my bowl and eat in the living room instead..

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Aug 16, 2005, 11:37 PM)

WendyS
Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2005, 11:52 PM

Post #35 of 64 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha...that means our doggies love us sooooo much !TongueBlush

Is Kinki the one in your avatar & Pacco is the little black dog? Do you know what mixed breed are they? Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 16, 2005, 11:58 PM

Post #36 of 64 (1281 views)
Shortcut

ur right, kinki is the one in the avatar?

i've no idea what kind of breed they are.... but obviously kinki looks very much like stray dogs...

my grandparent said that they cannot differentiate kinki wit other strayss

but to me kinki its unique, n i'll never find another dog like her in my entire life time.

pacco looks cutier in many ways, wit her scruffy furs... looks kinda messy... but anyway cute..Smile

ppl would say pacco much like a mixed breed...

anyway, i didn't meet both kinki and pacco parents...haha....Wink

but, separation anxiety problem onli happens on pacco...

she react like never seen me for years..Laugh

kinki will wait for me in the front gate and jump on me once i enter the house.... but she onli jump once and give me a hug...

not like pacco ...keep on jumping n jumping n jumping.....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Aug 17, 2005, 12:00 AM)

WendyS
Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2005, 5:32 PM

Post #37 of 64 (1264 views)
Shortcut

Ya, Pacco looks more like mixed, whereas Kinki looks more like local mongrel....they look nice & well taken care of, that's most important. Where did you get them, how come don't know their parents?

Haha...separation anxiety is a good term to describe Pacco & Sweet Pea! Hey, Daisy is like Kinki la....when I'm driving my car into the car porch, she will go into her cage, then once I get down, she will greet me with her tail wagging, when I go near her, she will try to jump up, I ask her to sit, then when I pat her, she will give me hugs with her two front hands holding around my two legs, no barking! Wink Sweet Pea notti lor, she will start whining & climbing when she heard my voice, even before I enter my house!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 17, 2005, 6:05 PM

Post #38 of 64 (1252 views)
Shortcut

if u hd read my post 2 years and been buying Pet World magazine quite often u should hv notice kinki story....

she is a rescue dog tht we found near a selayang pasar pagi. she was being abandoned by a woman n it happen tat we r just right there......that time she is a small little puppy.....so we bought her back.....

she's wit me for 2 years n at this april i lost her during the weekly jungle trekking.....sad ending....

then later i adopted pacco from one of the forum member that posted her up for adoptionSmile

Pacco de Mongrel

WendyS
Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2005, 7:53 PM

Post #39 of 64 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Obviously I didn't know that you've lost Kinki...so sad....Pirate Luckily you have Pacco now, do you bring Pacco for jungle trekking? If yes, then we can meet Pacco! I brought Daisy there once only, I think sometime in June this year, it was very tiring (to control Daisy to go up & down the hill) but fun, will bring her again if got time...maybe later will bring Sweet Pea also, she is small so I guess won't be too tiring for me! Smile

soze
Dog Kichi

Aug 18, 2005, 1:10 AM

Post #40 of 64 (1233 views)
Shortcut

sorry to hear that amanda...

well hope to join you guys on some jungle tracking lar... i guess about 1 month later or less .. hope too see you guys anyway... by the way my first puppy already got ppl want.. hihihi... hopefully they can provide the puppy a good home... its 3 males and 2 females anyway...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 18, 2005, 1:49 AM

Post #41 of 64 (1228 views)
Shortcut

i stayed very near to gasing hill....so i usually go wit kinki every weekend....

but after kinki is lost, initially i'm afraid to go again....Unsure

anyway, now after few months already......i've fully recover....

will bring pacco to jungle trekking after she had fully heal from her spaying surgery....

Pacco de Mongrel

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 18, 2005, 1:51 AM

Post #42 of 64 (1223 views)
Shortcut

hope that all the puppies manage to find themselve a forever home...

do u plan to have them spay before they are adopted....?

Pacco de Mongrel

WendyS
Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2005, 1:53 AM

Post #43 of 64 (1223 views)
Shortcut

Great news! Your 1st puppy is booked already, do you plan to leave one for yourself? You know I wanted to help, but my friend said he can't take care of young puppy coz nobody at home...then I asked my cousin, he is looking for male pup but big-sized dog, he said Sasha looks like a small size dog, so I want to know the size of Sasha, do u know the size of the sire too?

I also hope that whoever adopt your puppies will take good care of them, but then again, their faith is on other person's hand. Let me tell you one real case, I helped my cousin-in-law to adopt a puppy, ie. Sweet Pea's sister, after few days the pup had diarrhea with blood, she brough her to the vet, the vet said could be virus infection, then she just dumped her somewhere and let her die, you know...and I just knew it today, this happened 2 weeks ago, somemore it's my other cousin sister who told me! I mean you really don't know whether the person will take good care of your pups! Pirate

BTW, have u been to the jungle trekking, hope to see you & Sasha too :)

(This post was edited by WendyS on Aug 18, 2005, 2:03 AM)

WendyS
Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2005, 2:10 AM

Post #44 of 64 (1218 views)
Shortcut

I know how you felt...Last year I nearly lost my youngest son when we brought him to swim at KLCC park, that day was his 2nd birthday, I can't imagine if I really lost him...Until now, I don't bring them to that park anymore, somehow still got the phobia....

I'm still a bit reserve about spaying, scared of the risk.....I hope to go JT in Sept, so can meet you there la Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 18, 2005, 2:17 AM

Post #45 of 64 (1209 views)
Shortcut

spaying its just a normal surgery..... n ur dog will recover within a week time....

its really the best solution to prevent further unwanted litters....

there just too many abandoned dogs out there....

i did spay both kinki and pacco....

there won't be any risk if ur dog is healthy and still young...

Pacco de Mongrel

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Aug 18, 2005, 4:28 AM

Post #46 of 64 (1198 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
sorry to hear that amanda...

well hope to join you guys on some jungle tracking lar... i guess about 1 month later or less .. hope too see you guys anyway... by the way my first puppy already got ppl want.. hihihi... hopefully they can provide the puppy a good home... its 3 males and 2 females anyway...

Wah that was fast...all also ppl want lioa...sure they can provide a good home as long you believe they will..

Cheers ya,

What make Me?

Nice to meet YOu

BoBby San DogstEr

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Aug 18, 2005, 4:42 AM

Post #47 of 64 (1197 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I know how you felt...Last year I nearly lost my youngest son when we brought him to swim at KLCC park, that day was his 2nd birthday, I can't imagine if I really lost him...Until now, I don't bring them to that park anymore, somehow still got the phobia....

I'm still a bit reserve about spaying, scared of the risk.....I hope to go JT in Sept, so can meet you there la Smile

Hay..i know what u mean...it a really phobia thingy..hard to overcome...it take alot of courage..

Cheers ya,

What make Me?

Nice to meet YOu

BoBby San DogstEr

WendyS
Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2005, 8:22 PM

Post #48 of 64 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nicky_spykeaz] [soze]mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Wah that was fast...all also ppl want lioa...sure they can provide a good home as long you believe they will..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True, not many ppl are as bad as my cousin-in-law...even my maid also said 'mana boleh buat macam itu..' !

(This post was edited by WendyS on Aug 19, 2005, 8:26 PM)

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Aug 19, 2005, 8:55 PM

Post #49 of 64 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WendyS] [soze]mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

it fate lor...depend how strong u hold on fate..i always try to look at the bright side and think positive..sometime like cheating myself Tongue

Cheers ya,

What make Me?

Nice to meet YOu

BoBby San DogstEr

soze
Dog Kichi

Aug 20, 2005, 3:45 AM

Post #50 of 64 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WendyS] [soze]mixed breed n mongrel [In reply to] Can't Post

i do understand what's the feeling also.. although my situation is not really the same.. but the phobia thing is the same thing lar.. Crazy

well... my puppies are bigger now... weight heavier lar... hahaha... good good... feels so happy... then when i came back from work.. my neighbour, the uncle called me and gave me 4 packets of 7.5kg dog food lar.. aiks... i so malu to take ... he say okok..no problem... the uncle very good eh.. helpful and friendly Sly

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my