Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Worms in Dog:
Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms??

silvrash
Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2005, 8:27 PM

Post #1 of 17 (17491 views)
Shortcut
Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms?? Can't Post

Hi,

I just brought my dogs for heartworm blood test yesterday and found that they both got heartworm Crazy

1 got a llittle babies worm and 1 got some baby and adult worms. The vet says that the worm they got are only at early stage.

I've asked about the treatment for it and was told that it would cost about $400 d for each and it take about 3 mth for treatment UnimpressedUnimpressed .... which i cant afford...PirateUnsurePirateUnsure

the second alternative is to feed them Heartgard. As Heartgard only kill the babies worms. So it will keep the adult worm from increasing. They say that its safe. (I asked them twice)

But before this, i heard from another vet that, dogs with heartworm cannot take Heatgard or proheart.UnsureUnsure

So I wanna ask around if anyone have any experiece about this situation or knows more about this case and can give advice. plssss.Coz im still kinda worried, if something happen after i give them heartgard.....

Thanxsss
www.wretch.cc/album/LilLiFashion

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 6, 2005, 2:13 AM

Post #2 of 17 (17449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silvrash] Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms?? [In reply to] Can't Post

i don't think its safe to consume heartgard if ur dogs had heartworms already.

heartgard only serve as prevention not curing.

though i don't had any experience in this matter...

if you couldn't afford RM300....

why don't try to ask a government vet clinic... like upm...

i think their fees will be much more cheaper than private ones.

btw how old are your dogs?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Aug 6, 2005, 2:14 AM)

silvrash
Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2005, 7:54 PM

Post #3 of 17 (17438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms?? [In reply to] Can't Post

We dont have a govn. vet clinic in our place..... at least not anymore.... it had been terminated a few years ago...

one is about 6 yrs another is about 2 yrs(according to vet). actually i got them both from the street. so i didnt daer to giv them heartgard at the 1st place coz the vet told me cannot. so i just bring them for blood test.

oh well, now i hope i will get some luck and $$$ will fall from sky ^^"" *day dreaming*

still ^^ thanx for you advice

spooky
Novice

Aug 7, 2005, 1:11 AM

Post #4 of 17 (17437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silvrash] Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your dog infected with heartworms. Where do u stay, there is this govt vet clinic beside PJ Hilton opp Hotel Singhasana. I think u can find their number in the net.

Au Revoir ,

Spooky

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 24, 2005, 11:53 PM

Post #5 of 17 (17377 views)
Shortcut

silvrash

well i do come across a very experienced vet, dr. prem who operate a vet clinic at brickfields. there is a dog affected with heart worm (last stage) & the vet able to give great advice.

definitely the cost wont be cheap if u wish to do ur operation there, but at least u can go & ask for his opinion, he is very reliable.

wish ur dog all the best.

Regards,

Yang

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 4, 2005, 1:58 AM

Post #6 of 17 (17332 views)
Shortcut

How ur dog doing now???

silvrash
Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2005, 8:57 PM

Post #7 of 17 (17319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thnxs for asking ^^ they're doing okay now.

I confirmed my dog condition with another vet and they also say that it can take heargard as the heartworm inside them are still at early stage. And giving heartgard actually control and prevent the worms from multiplying. by killing the babies worm, but the adult worm will stay there.

and i got 1 dog with adult worm and the other with babies worm only.

i've gave the heartgard to them last mth and they seem ok

still strong and health. :)

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 4, 2005, 9:07 PM

Post #8 of 17 (17318 views)
Shortcut

Great to heard ur dog is doing well!!!

Did vet suggest any treatment to kill those adult heartworms?

coffee

Nov 10, 2005, 1:24 AM

Post #9 of 17 (17166 views)
Shortcut

There might be some misunderstanding. Get a brochure of heart worm and go through it. Heart worm is transmitted by mosquito and that is the only way. Mosquito pick-up microfilaria L1 from infecteed dog. L1 spends about 2 weeks in mosquito body and migrate to salivary gland as L3 (3rd stage of larva). The next time the mosquito feasts, L3 enter the skin. Slowly it develop into L4 and L5 and enter the blood circulation and into the heart to become juvenile and adult heartworm. Adult heartworm mature and give birth to babies, L1 and thus complete the life cycle. Your dog can't even get infection from infected dog from blood transfusion.

OK, it is impossible to have baby (L1) and not having Adult. If one of your dog have adult and baby and one only baby, definitely both will have adult. There is only a few possiblities, (1)your dog was treated for heartworm before, (2) False negative from the test. (3) Heartworm burden too high.

The dog must have adult heartworm to produce L1. L1 must enter mosquito body to become L3 (infective heartworm baby). L1 will not become adult heartworm by itself without the help from mosquito. The use of heartguard does not stop the maturing of Heartworm. Yes it killed L1, L3-L4, but not L5 and adult. The effect is the same, you dog won't get extra heartworm but the explanation is inaccurate. With this method of treatment, it is actually a rally between your dog's life and heartworm's life, in otherword who died first lost the battle. Heartguard does not kill adult, and the adult heartworm can live up to 5 years in the heart. So see who died first.

coffee

Nov 10, 2005, 1:30 AM

Post #10 of 17 (17165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms?? [In reply to] Can't Post

UPM is not government clinic. University Veterinary Hospital is part of the vet faculty. It is a separate entity. The cost of treatment for heartworm will not be very cheap as well, about the same as private.

With blood test, X-ray to grade the class of secerity, the cost of treatment might reach RM500 with a few days of hospitalisation and revisit.

silvrash
Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2005, 6:44 PM

Post #11 of 17 (17153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coffee] Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hihi,

hmm...see who die 1st.... CrazyCrazyCrazy

i've also been thinking bout the heartworm treatment the vet said lately...

but then he said that its lik 3mth progress and the dog hav to be caged and dont let it be active durign these time or else it might cause death....

they're both very active all the time ,

for cages yea i got individual cage for them but when they're caged, and ppl past by they all bark and jump and jump around so this still kinda worry me, and i really dont want to put them at risk.

however, my parents r planning for a renovation lately, and we're thinking to reside the cages and maybe have the fence walled up as well(corner house) so maybe by then we can try it.... still im still not fully confident Frown

thxs a lot for ur advise ^^ ty

coffee

Nov 10, 2005, 8:20 PM

Post #12 of 17 (17150 views)
Shortcut

Is the clinic you went to Angel Animal Clinic? Dr Hii or Dr Yap? They are quite good. Should consider the treatment depending on the dog condition. Make an apointment to them, sit down (if the clinic is not too busy) and discuss to them the pros and cons of treatment and not to treat. I am sure if they have some time to spare they are willing to help you.

No hurry if you dog is clinically healthy. Just plan ahead. Make sure during the course of treatment you are free. The most critical time is when the injection given. After a few days of hospitalisation, it is normally not too bad. Just don't over exercise your dog. Of course it depends on individual dog, you don't have to really cage the dog 100% for 1 months after the treatment. Just take it easy and a lot of precaution. The death resulting from treatment is normally worse case scenario. The vets normally need to tell you what are the possible outcome of treatment. It can vary from mild cough, depression, to coughing blood and death. A lot of variable. Discuss with him. Of course complication of treatment can be treated provided you seek medical attention fast.

francine_wong
New User

Jun 9, 2008, 9:12 PM

Post #13 of 17 (15204 views)
Shortcut

hi there, i saw this thread about heartworm. How much you take them for a blood test? I'm not sure if my dog have it. I'm staying near Aman Suria.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 9, 2008, 10:09 PM

Post #14 of 17 (15201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [francine_wong] Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, heartworm test costs around rm60, depending on vets n area... why do u suspect ur dog has heartworm?

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

francine_wong
New User

Jun 10, 2008, 5:33 PM

Post #15 of 17 (15177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms?? [In reply to] Can't Post

haha because i read an article about heartworm are very serious and might kill the dog. Just a precaution. I came back from the US and i brought my back with me. They had gone thru a 7 days quarantine. I went to the quarantine place to pick them up, when i look at them they are like never eat for tat 7 days. Totally slim down. The place is so dirty. I'm just afraid they might affected.

Anyway thanks for your info about the price.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 10, 2008, 6:41 PM

Post #16 of 17 (15174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [francine_wong] Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms?? [In reply to] Can't Post

i see... it's so great tat u brought ur dog back from US with u... yeah quarantine is not a good place to be in... the dog could be stressed out n may not want to eat, tat's why slim down... Unsure

well heartworm disease is transmitted by mosquitoes, that is, if the mozzie has bitten a dog with heartworm, then the mozzie bites ur dog, ur dog may kena the disease... but if ur dog is already on heartworm prevention, then i guess no need to worry... in anycase, just to have peace of mind, can take ur dog to do the test lo... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

(This post was edited by ai_ney on Jun 10, 2008, 6:50 PM)

francine_wong
New User

Jun 11, 2008, 12:56 AM

Post #17 of 17 (15158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Heartgard for Older Dogs with Baby Worms?? [In reply to] Can't Post

yea, i called one of the vet today and it cost RM60 for a heartworm blood test. So i'm bringing him in this weekend. I've been giving him lotsa treats everyday hehe (a low fat ones) for him to grow fatter and some vitamins for his health.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my