IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Shih tzu pup bullies owner... :(

michellechen

Jul 23, 2005, 8:00 PM

Post #1 of 11 (1918 views)
Shortcut
Shih tzu pup bullies owner... :( Can't Post

Hi, I juz got a shih tzu pup, now almost 2 mths old. I got him last wk. 1st few days I brought him home, he barks nonstop, which is normal coz he juz got separated fr his mother n siblings n new environment, rite? So I had sleepless nites.

Now he has biting prob, kept on biting on carpets, slippers, newspapers, cushion, sofa, our hands n legs, practically anythin..! (sigh...) I'v read bout other forums posted here n call up d breeder tht I bought him fr n ended up buyin sum toys n chew bones 4 him. It works sumtimes but not all d time. If he has a choice, he'l choose other stuf 2 bite. Wen I try bathin him yesterday, I can't seem 2 bath his face coz he kept on wantin 2 bite my hand. It's even hard 4 me 2 clean his eyes. :(

Also, although he barks less now, his barkin is hard 2 stop once he starts. Wen he 1s 2 come out fr his cage, he'l bark n all I can do is ignore d barkin. But it's kinda hard if it's at nite. I dun 1 2 disturb my neighbours. I told this 2 d breeder, he told me 2 tell him "No" in a stern way. I tried, it works 4 a few hours, then no longer works. D breeder came n show me how 2 do tht. It seems tht d pup is so obedient wen d breeder is here but once he's gone, he's back 2 bein so naughty, barkin n bitin evrythin... My family n I tried imitatin d way d breeder train him but it does not work... Y is my pup bullyin me? Y he only listen 2 d breeder? How can I train my pup 2 b mor obedient? If I can't even train him wen he's a pup, it'l b even harder wen he grows older as he's used 2 bullyin me... Pls help as I'm a 1st time owner... Unsure
-michelle-

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 23, 2005, 10:18 PM

Post #2 of 11 (1912 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michellechen] Shih tzu pup bullies owner... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I also have a shih tzu but he was very different as a puppy last time. Anyway, I think your puppy still views the breeder as the alpha dog and you as a lower rank so he likes to take advantage by chewing, messing around and making you mad. Pups don't know what is right or wrong so they will continue to make a mess with things.

To stop him biting your hands and carpet and slippers, I suggest you buy a dog repellent spray. It really works! Or you can make your own solution which is pepper and lemon water, not very good but it works. Dogs hate sour and bitter taste, they hate pepper. I normally sprinkle some pepper on the things he would bite and now my dog knows what he cannot bite.

As for barking, where to you keep your dog? Normally it'll be very lonely so it needs something or someone to be near him. My dogs all sleep in our rooms at night when they were puppies, once they are older, they sleep outside. My shih tzu still sleeps with me in my room but on his own pillow and on the floor.

Training, I would use a newspaper to sometimes gently whack my dogs to make them understand. What I do is when it is naughty, whack the dog's butt softly, don't be too hard or it will be painful, just whack like you are urging him to stop, sort of like distract him. Always say NO. If the pup still never listen, separate him from his toys and game and put him in a cage as punishment for 1/2 hour. If he barks, ignore him. In time, he will learn that once he is naughty, he will be caged and will learn his lesson. After your pup has associated the newspaper with the word NO, then you don't need the newspaper anymore.

This is how I train my dogs. I don't need to use the newspaper on them now coz they understand what is right and wrong. I use the newspaper on me. I just hit the newspaper on my leg or on the floor to make a loud bang and they know that they are wrong. The tip is always let your dog know you are the boss.

Also, does your dog like food? If he does, then another tip is using food to make him know he is a good boy. If he acts good, say GOOD BOY and give him a treat. If he is bad, say NO and punish him with caging in a corner, like we humans do to our own children sometimes. Dogs have the mind of a 3 year old can each puppy has it's own unique way of learning.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

(This post was edited by crazymouse_yyh on Jul 23, 2005, 10:24 PM)

lynn1157
Novice

Jul 24, 2005, 4:36 AM

Post #3 of 11 (1907 views)
Shortcut

zoey used to love biting especially our hands. So I did wat I read in an article last time. I put some coins in a plastic bottle. Each time she bites,i shook the bottle. She stopped because she did not like the noice. Also, I noticed that zoey stopstrying to bite my hands uf i lay them flat on the ground.

Zoey outgrown her habit of biting within a short period of time.Good Luck!

michellechen

Jul 24, 2005, 12:21 PM

Post #4 of 11 (1895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Shih tzu pup bullies owner... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I also have a shih tzu but he was very different as a puppy last time. Anyway, I think your puppy still views the breeder as the alpha dog and you as a lower rank so he likes to take advantage by chewing, messing around and making you mad. Pups don't know what is right or wrong so they will continue to make a mess with things.

To stop him biting your hands and carpet and slippers, I suggest you buy a dog repellent spray. It really works! Or you can make your own solution which is pepper and lemon water, not very good but it works. Dogs hate sour and bitter taste, they hate pepper. I normally sprinkle some pepper on the things he would bite and now my dog knows what he cannot bite.

As for barking, where to you keep your dog? Normally it'll be very lonely so it needs something or someone to be near him. My dogs all sleep in our rooms at night when they were puppies, once they are older, they sleep outside. My shih tzu still sleeps with me in my room but on his own pillow and on the floor.

Training, I would use a newspaper to sometimes gently whack my dogs to make them understand. What I do is when it is naughty, whack the dog's butt softly, don't be too hard or it will be painful, just whack like you are urging him to stop, sort of like distract him. Always say NO. If the pup still never listen, separate him from his toys and game and put him in a cage as punishment for 1/2 hour. If he barks, ignore him. In time, he will learn that once he is naughty, he will be caged and will learn his lesson. After your pup has associated the newspaper with the word NO, then you don't need the newspaper anymore.

This is how I train my dogs. I don't need to use the newspaper on them now coz they understand what is right and wrong. I use the newspaper on me. I just hit the newspaper on my leg or on the floor to make a loud bang and they know that they are wrong. The tip is always let your dog know you are the boss.

Also, does your dog like food? If he does, then another tip is using food to make him know he is a good boy. If he acts good, say GOOD BOY and give him a treat. If he is bad, say NO and punish him with caging in a corner, like we humans do to our own children sometimes. Dogs have the mind of a 3 year old can each puppy has it's own unique way of learning.

How dif was ur shih tzu wen he was a pup? I'm tryin 2 b patient here, as my pup has been with me 4 slightly mor than a wk only... But how long wil it take 4 d pup 2 c me as d boss? Tongue How much is d repellent spray? I heard bout it 2 but if I use, then I gotta practically spray my whole hse n all over our body as he bites evrythin..! Wen v carry him he tries 2 bite our hands, clothes, pants, legs, u juz name it... (sigh...) Unsure N also, he hasn't even got his 2nd vaccination yet, I'm not sure if I can let him taste pepper n lemon water... Izit ok? I keep my pup in d cage as it is safer 4 him 2 b inside d cage since tht he's not fully vaccinated n if left unsupervise, I'm afraid he'l bite n eat evrythin he sees... D cage is placed in d livin room as ther's no space 4 d cage in my room. Yea, d breeder teached me bout d wackin newspaper on d floor method n it only works 4 a few hr... After tht, wenever I whack d roll of newspaper on d floor, he barks back even louder n this continues on... It juz doesn't work... Unsure Caging him as punishment? If I do tht, he'l nvr like 2 go 2 his cage anymor as he'l c tht as a punishment, won't he? Btw, I also hav another prob... Sumtimes wen he's inside d cage n barks, I cannot differentiate if d barkin is indicatin tht he 1s 2 b let out of d cage or tht he 1s 2 go 2 toilet... Unsure if I let him out, I scared tht he thinks tht wenever he barks, he'l get wht he 1s n wil form a habit of doin tht. If I dun let him out, he'l pee n poo in his cage...
-michelle-

michellechen

Jul 24, 2005, 12:28 PM

Post #5 of 11 (1894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lynn1157] Shih tzu pup bullies owner... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
zoey used to love biting especially our hands. So I did wat I read in an article last time. I put some coins in a plastic bottle. Each time she bites,i shook the bottle. She stopped because she did not like the noice. Also, I noticed that zoey stopstrying to bite my hands uf i lay them flat on the ground.

Zoey outgrown her habit of biting within a short period of time.Good Luck!

Lucky u she took so lil time 2 get rid of tht bitin prob...

Wil try tht coins in btl method, c if it works, nvr tried b4...

I doubt tht my pup wil stop bitin if I put my hands flat on d ground as wen I place my feet on d ground he bites it 2... Unsure
-michelle-

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 24, 2005, 7:23 PM

Post #6 of 11 (1887 views)
Shortcut

My shih tzu was a very calm puppy. Never chew a lot, barks when got strange people and acts more human than dog.

Anyway, 1 week is just short. A puppy will only learn how to behave in a few weeks. Some people are lucky to get well behaved puppies like my dog but some have active pups like yours.

I can't remember how much is the spray but it smells a bit herbal to us but it taste and smells horrible to dogs. It's save coz the ingredient is either a plant base or bitter sour apples. I taught a few friends that try and use pepper, well, it works. It won't harm the puppy coz it's not eating it, just tasting.

Well, there is a way for punishing. I also tie up my dog in a corner and leave him alone for a hour. He doesn't get any toys of food for that period and he knows that is punishment. My shih tzu walks the whole house freely. I do not cage him anymore. Used to cage him as a puppy but found out he could open the cage. Now sleeps with me and I find him closer to me now and is a better behaved dog.

Your puppy cannot tell you when it wants to pee and poo. If two month old, most likely need to go toilet every 3 hours. So you have to bring him out often. To train him on command, say a word like "potty". My dog understands cantonese (aw liew) and he will go outside and pee. I teach him this when I bring him out everyday to pee, I say the word and when he gets older, just say the word and he will know.

If he continues barking in a cage, well, what I sometimes do is lock him in the toilet. When he stops barking, I will take him out. The dog will learn that when never bark, get to come out but when bark too much, kena lock inside. The toilet, make sure it's safe and dry.

When he barks, don't let him out of the cage. If he stops, only take him out and give him a treat.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

michellechen

Jul 25, 2005, 1:20 AM

Post #7 of 11 (1882 views)
Shortcut

Lucky u get such good n obedient pup... I also wish 2 get less hyperactiv 1, as I dun handle 2 wel... Wen I c him in d breeder hse, he was so quiet n shy... Now only he show his true personality... Crazy Fooled me already... Tongue

I wil giv it a few mor days 2 try tellin him "No", if stil fail, I'l get tht spray u mentioned. Wil let u knw if it works. Wil he sneeze if v use pepper? Tongue Btw, izit normal 4 pup 2 hav hiccups?

Wow, ur dog so smart, can open d cage..? How did he learnt tht..? Shocked I also dun like 2 cage him but til he's well behaved n has all his vaccinations, v'l hav 2 cage him 1st... It's safer 4 d naughty boy... Wink

I do notice tht evrytime he 1s 2 pee or poo, he'l bark... Coz last time d breeder did toilet train him a bit... It's juz tht I dunno which barkin is meant 4 goin 2 toilet...
-michelle-

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2005, 9:05 AM

Post #8 of 11 (1876 views)
Shortcut

Dunno, maybe lucky but mind acts like a human sometimes. Anyway, shih tzus are very smart, so with consistant training ah, can be a good dog. He is good at the breeder's house coz he see the breeder as big alpha, so he scared.

Yah, go on telling NO. The spray will cost less than RM30. Pepper does make the pup sneeze but for a while. No side effects wan. Hiccups are normal in dogs. Puppies will get it more that adult dogs.

My dog naughty. He can take out his harness sometimes. He open the cage using his paw and teeth. I saw him do it one day. So now he is not caged loh, let him walk the whole house since he knows where to pee and poo.

Well, if he barks that he wants to pee and poo, always say the command for pee and poo and take him out. My dog, I will say the word (aw liew) and he will jump and bark to say he wants. Trained him to do that way.

michellechen

Jul 25, 2005, 10:01 AM

Post #9 of 11 (1875 views)
Shortcut

Ok, thx 4 d guidance... Wil try it... If face anymor prob, wil ask again... hehe Lucky ther r many helpful ppl here 2 guide new owners like me, otherwise I'l b totally lost... Blush

It's frustratin wen d pup is naughty but once he understand n b mor obedient, I'm sure it's gonna b really rewardin... Sumtimes I'm really happy tht he did wht I told him 2 do even if it's only once after 20 times of tellin him... Tongue
-michelle-

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 26, 2005, 6:00 AM

Post #10 of 11 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Ah that's great to hear. Not to worry, everyone here likes to help out coz we all ahev experience this situation before. So try the spary too, my vet recommands that when puppies chew and misbehave. All the best!

lapdog
Novice

Aug 17, 2005, 4:05 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1790 views)
Shortcut

He is teething. Put something bitter on objects he is chewing and he wont chew them. (Bitter apple spray) or hot sauce.

When he bites your hand, get up, turn away and totally ignore him for five minutes. Make sure he has plenty of chew toys. When he chews his toys, praise him a lot.

Dont hit him. Dont shove your finger down his throat. Dont punish. These will make him more aggressive, not better. The best thing to do is reward him when he is good.

another thing you can do, is take him to the objects he chews. Be sure he is on a leash. When he even starts to put his mouth on it, jerk the leash back (GENTLY) and say NO! Then give him a treat and praise.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my