Home: Mixed Breed: Mixed Breed and Mongrels:
HELP!

jcjsjc
Novice

Jul 21, 2005, 3:27 AM

Post #1 of 17 (1663 views)
Shortcut
HELP! Can't Post

My dog had a bad bout of flu (he was vomiting 2 weeks ago, went to a vet but still sick, then went to another vet where he gave pills and finally stop vomiting) but now he just doesn't have any appetite at all. I've tried dry biscuit, tinned food, dog snacks, meat, bones but all he does is eat a tiny bit everyday, or none at all. He's skinny as hell and I can even feel his spine. The vet says to let him eat when he wants to, in other words let him be but I'm really concerned bout his health.

Happy to say he no longer has puppy behaviours (i.e shoe-biting, hand-biting, running round madly, chasing kids or cats) but in my opinion I think he's too weak cause all day he only mopes round the house. When I take him for walks he only lags behind me, so that instead of him pulling me like before, now I have to walk super slow.

Can anyone tell me what's happening to him? Is it some kind of disease that's fatal? Any cure? Please?

-----------------------------------------------------------
You know what? Barney's starting to show some sense..hehe..
Attachments: Poor Barney.jpg (30.9 KB)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2005, 6:03 AM

Post #2 of 17 (1648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jcjsjc] HELP! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh dear... he is getting very skinny. I can see the spine in the picture!! Which vet did you bring him to? Have you tried AMC or UPM?

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

jcjsjc
Novice

Jul 21, 2005, 6:24 AM

Post #3 of 17 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] HELP! [In reply to] Can't Post

*bewildered look*

ACM? UPM?

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2005, 8:43 AM

Post #4 of 17 (1630 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, I should have put the full name...

Ok, AMC is Animal Medical Center, which is ok...

UPM is University Putra Malaysia- a place where got many vets coz it's the only university in malaysia that offers vet science

Another good vet is Dr Yeoh in Tmn Megah

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2005, 3:57 PM

Post #5 of 17 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Hello

maybe barney do not like those food you gave him hehehe.. was just wondering, when you were having dinner, is barney nearby? sometimes dogs got used to the smell of the food we eat, and would not want to eat the food we give them..

like my dogs, on and off they would eat the kibbles.... if i mix kibbles with a bit of can food, and a bit of papaya.. they would go for the can food and papaya,leaving the kibbles behind... for now, i feed them rice and can food and papaya, they would finish everything... but it is still better for you to consult the vet's... qualified vets ya..

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2005, 8:36 PM

Post #6 of 17 (1602 views)
Shortcut

which vet do you go to? want me to introduce another one to you..OMG..barney is not barney the purple dino anymore...he is so thin..i feel bad and worry about him..

Cheers ya,

Nicki the Devil live by the reputation of the name

boBby is a craz3 car PassaNger
Fat FaT other case Elegant Car GuEst
What make Me?
A LoYal huMan Driver.... Frown

NoBody is Prefect, Guess What i am Nobody
Nice to meet YOu

(Bobby+Nicky craze JT memBer)

BoBby San DogstEr
http://www.dogster.com/?158414

http://spykeaz-devil.blogspot.com/

WendyS
Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2005, 10:30 PM

Post #7 of 17 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Recently my Daisy also does not have appetite to eat, it's not that she is sick, but it takes so long for her to finish a meal. I guess she is bored with her food, so yesterday I put some 'Nutri-stat' (food supplement that have very nice taste & smell) on her kibbles, she finished her food at once. And this morning, it was the same too. So maybe you want to try that. Hope it works.

Regards.

jcjsjc
Novice

Jul 26, 2005, 6:16 PM

Post #8 of 17 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WendyS] HELP! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm I think I pamper him too much already cause scared he dont wanna eat. But now have to keep changing food because he quickly gets bored with one kind. Have to train that habit out of him.

Anyway his appetite is out because the vet says he still has the flu.

And the 'Nutri-stat' thingy? Uh, what is it? And does your Daisy takes vitamins?

jcjsjc
Novice

Jul 26, 2005, 6:20 PM

Post #9 of 17 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nicky_spykeaz] HELP! [In reply to] Can't Post

I only go to one vet here in subang because I don't like the other vets, they seem to think more of making money instead of treating the animals (well, if I dont like the person I don't go there right?) Says he still has the flu and I asked whether need to take blood test but he said no need.

Btw his appetite got abit better after the vet gave him 2 shots. Hope that continues. I don't even dare take him out for walks scared he too weak.

Oh does human's vitamin c work for dogs too?

WendyS
Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005, 6:40 PM

Post #10 of 17 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Daisy also same la...spoilt already. Because I changed her food too frequent (due to the previous brands always out of stock), now she expects me to change her food after a while. If I add something special (eg. rice, nutri-stat, yogurt, canned dog food...) on her dry food, she will finish her food at once. So I guess she wants better taste food....If I don't give her extra, she will still finish her food but many hours later....I think it's still not too bad, so sometimes I just let it be, I'm not worried as long as she eats. She takes her vit. supplements everyday also. I just deworm her yesterday, many months I didn't deworm her already, so maybe that is one of the causes also.

How about your doggie, so far did he skip his meal totally? He could be just choosy if he eats other yummy food, but not the normal dry food. Maybe you should try to give him supplements to improve his appetite....Nutri-stat is a palatable 'tube-type' (like toothpaste) supplements for dogs, it is available in most of the pet shops. You could also try other supplements that are powder type (eg.super 14 (not sure of the number, hehe..), you can put it on his current dog food, with that maybe he will eat his food because it becomes tastier....Hope it helps.

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Jul 26, 2005, 11:10 PM

Post #11 of 17 (1526 views)
Shortcut

HUman vitamin may not that well compare to a dog vitamin because their dosage and supplement might deffer..
If you think that Barney need to consult another vet apart from yours, i am glad to introduce mine to you.They price in all consultation and medication quite reasonable as i send few of my "adoted furkids" for treatment.
If you need the contact, just meg me then i be glad to help..
Hope Barney really start to show sense to fast recovery..

Cheers ya,

What make Me?

Nice to meet YOu

BoBby San DogstEr

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 26, 2005, 11:45 PM

Post #12 of 17 (1525 views)
Shortcut

Do not give vitamin C. Human dosage, be it adult or kid's supplement lah is too high for dogs. Some dog books say too much vitamin C can make a dog sick. So better stick to vitamins made especially for dogs.

Do try and get hold of Nicky's vet.

jcjsjc
Novice

Jul 28, 2005, 2:39 AM

Post #13 of 17 (1497 views)
Shortcut

Yes, please can I have the name and address? I will let Barney finish the course of meds first to see if there's any improvement.

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Jul 28, 2005, 4:50 AM

Post #14 of 17 (1486 views)
Shortcut

Do you knwo Brickfield, rite behind the YMCA the vet clinic..the vet there is Dr Adam and Dr Prem..can give you the contact but can you give me your e-mail address so i can sent to you..

Cheers ya,

What make Me?

Nice to meet YOu

BoBby San DogstEr

jcjsjc
Novice

Jul 28, 2005, 6:56 AM

Post #15 of 17 (1478 views)
Shortcut

jcjsjc

Oh no, do they make house calls? I'm not that familiar with pj. Are they any good? I'm so sick of the vets here now, they all give me the feeling that they are just for making money. I've totally given up hope. If he doesn't get any better I will put him to sleep because I think he is suffering. He is not eating, I can see his ribs and he is vomiting stomach acid.

I don't know what to do anymore!

jcjsjc
Novice

Jul 28, 2005, 2:56 PM

Post #16 of 17 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Just found out that brickfields is in KL! That's even worst! I don't know a thing about KL!

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Jul 28, 2005, 7:44 PM

Post #17 of 17 (1457 views)
Shortcut

yes..i can give you the contact now..ut look urgent to me..this one is Dr prem number..
zero three two two seven two three five five three or if you have problem finding the place, you can call me at
zero one two two nine five seven six six seven. i can bring you there and meet up somewhere you familiar..

Cheers ya,

What make Me?

Nice to meet YOu

BoBby San DogstEr

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my