Home: General: Chit Chat:
Prevention of SARS - advice from Hong Kong

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 12, 2003, 9:11 PM

Post #1 of 11 (1680 views)
Shortcut
Prevention of SARS - advice from Hong Kong Can't Post

Hey guys, just wanted to share this with u...my ex-boss sent this to me, it's frm his high school mate who's a doctor in HK at the moment :

Dear All,

Probably you all have read about these preventive measures for SARS in Malaysia. I would like to share with you the following advice that I give to my patients and the measures that my family and I are taking to reduce the chance of getting SARS.

First of all, a few notes about the Coronavirus that cause the SARS. Evidence so far showed that the virus is mainly transmitted by droplets (“mouth water” “nose water”) and direct contact with an infected person’s secretions and subsequently inoculation into mucous membranes e.g. conjunctiva (eye, oral mucosa (mouth). The virus will stay in the environment for 2-6 hours.

The recommended infection control measures is therefore, droplets precautions (e.g. talk less!) with emphasis on the use of barrier apparels (face mask and eye protection e.g. wearing glasses or goggles) and environmental cleaning.

Preventive Measures:

Build up good body immunity. This means taking a proper diet, having regular exercise and adequate rest, reducing stress and avoiding smoking ( e.g. work only 2-3days per week like Hong Eng!)
Maintain good personal hygiene. Cover nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing
Keep hands clean and wash hands properly. Use liquid soap for hand washing and disposable towel for drying hands
Wash hands when they are dirtied by respiratory secretions e.g. after sneezing
Avoid touching the eyes, nose and mouth. If necessary, wash hands before touching them
Do not share towels
Use serving utensils at meal times
Keep home environment clean. Wipe furniture (including telephone) regularly (at least once a day) with a piece of towel soaked with diluted household bleach (i.e. adding 1 part of household bleach to 99 parts of water), and then wipe with a piece of towel soaked with water
Maintain good indoor ventilation
Avoid visiting crowded places with poor ventilation (Too late to advice those Klang/KL gang to cancel your get together meeting, I guess!)
· Dispose of used tissue paper properly

· Cleanse and disinfect the facilities (including furniture and toilet facilities) regularly (at least once a day), using diluted household bleach (i.e. adding 1 part of household bleach to 99 parts of water), rinse with water and then mop dry

· If the facilities are contaminated with vomitus, wash / wipe with diluted domestic bleach (mixing 1 part of bleach with 49 parts of water) immediately

Should I wear a Face mask ?

Wearing facemask properly offers satisfactory protection against respiratory tract infections. People with respiratory symptoms and those who have close contact with confirmed cases of atypical pneumonia should wear a facemask to reduce the chance of spread of infection. Their carers and those visiting sick people in hospitals should also wear a facemask. The general public may wear a facemask for self protection especially in crowded places.

Points to note:

Wash hands before wearing a facemask.
Follow the instructions on the packet carefully, if available.
In general, when wearing a surgical facemask, the following should be noted:
The facemask should fit snugly over the face.
The coloured side of the facemask should face outside.
Tie all the strings that keep the facemask in place or fix the rubber bands of the facemask round the ears properly.
The facemask should fully cover the nose, mouth as well as the chin.
The metallic wire part of the facemask should be fixed securely over the bridge of the nose to prevent leakage.
Under general circumstances, the surgical mask should be changed daily

Put the facemask into a plastic bag and tie it properly before putting it into a rubbish bin.
Replace the facemask immediately if it is damaged or soiled.
Wearing a facemask is just one of the ways to prevent respiratory tract infections. The most important thing a person should do is to observe good personal hygiene. For example, wash hands frequently with liquid soap, especially after sneezing, coughing or cleaning the nose.

Do I have SARS?

Nearly all the SARS patients have fever, chills, headache and muscle aches (myalgia in medical term!). Some might have cough (usually dry cough), sore throat and diarrhea. Usual time to develop all these symptoms is between 2 to 10 days after contact with an infected persons. See your doctor early if you think you have SARS. Our experience in Hong Kong showed that those who died of SARS are either seek medical attention too late or old people with medical problems. The cure rate is near 100% if you are young (below 50’s) and seek medical treatment early.

The above measures will reduce your chance from getting SARS but not totally prevent it. So just “pray”, my friends.

Lastly I hope the Malaysian Government will not preventing me from going back home to attend our gathering in December.

Good luck!

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2003, 12:29 AM

Post #2 of 11 (1671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Prevention of SARS - advice from Hong Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Gina,

Thks for posting this info up. Comes in very handy for me. Watching the HK TV, they don't refer to it as SARS. Instead, they call it Atypcial Pneumonia. HongKong is now a SAR (Special Autonomous Region), just like Macau after the take over from China. Guess they want to distance themselves from this deadly Severe Acute Respitory Syndrome.

It's good to know that if this SARS thing can be beat if immediate medical help is seek for people below 50 and no existing major medical conditions.

Rdgs Arthur

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Apr 13, 2003, 2:01 AM

Post #3 of 11 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Hey Gina,

Thanks for the infos... Arthur, pls stay far-far away (esp. when you feel like sneezing or coughing) Hahaha, is 10 feet enough ? Oh dear, then I might not have the chance to play with your 3 schnauzer gang ! CrazyCrazy

cheers,
minglmy

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2003, 2:08 AM

Post #4 of 11 (1663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Prevention of SARS - advice from Hong Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

Eh in Malaysia we also hv a lot of SARS, especially the women....Smart And Really Sexy (SARS) Tongue

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2003, 2:28 AM

Post #5 of 11 (1659 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gina,

Yup, I agree with your defination. Malaysian women are hot! Bet you have already received a few SMS this topic already... you know the one about women staying home and men have to brave the SARS thing...Song, Alcohol, Romance and Sex.Sly
Rdgs Arthur

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2003, 2:32 AM

Post #6 of 11 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Prevention of SARS - advice from Hong Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ming Yang,

I will quarantine myself till the next outing in Kota Kemuning on the 26Apr. Get ready to meet my 3 schnauzers! BTW, my throat is feeling kinda sore now..the air polution here is bad. Lots of factories and plenty of construction going on all over the place. Drinking lots of water...
Rdgs Arthur

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 13, 2003, 8:09 AM

Post #7 of 11 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Prevention of SARS - advice from Hong Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

I think everyone in town is talking about SARS now that the war is over... anyone that is down with fever or cough would seek immediate medical attention ASAP, as they would probably suspect that they've contracted SARS. However, the death rate of ppl being affected by SARS is about 2%... it's still considerably a low rate compare to others i suppose.

mackmack
Doggyman

Apr 14, 2003, 1:16 AM

Post #8 of 11 (1640 views)
Shortcut

You guys still going for the 26th outing??
nobody RECONSIDERING??
(take good care of the furkids hor~)

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 14, 2003, 5:47 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1618 views)
Shortcut

thanks for the info gina!! should we all go to KK with face masks??? And our dogs with face masks too?? hehehe Wink

Arthur, I keep hearing about your 3 schnauzers!! Can't wait to see them!! Smile Tongue Esp the celebrity banner model Pepper!! Wink Take care in China!

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 14, 2003, 8:57 PM

Post #10 of 11 (1607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Prevention of SARS - advice from Hong Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

hehe i'd like to see anyone try to put a face mask on their furkids, see how long it'll stay there Laugh

Yah gathering is definately on....no virus is going to keep us and our furkids frm having fun Tongue....i think the most imporant thing is to keep ourselves healthy and we shd all be alright.

(This post was edited by ginl on Apr 14, 2003, 8:57 PM)

timmy
Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2003, 6:26 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] Prevention of SARS - advice from Hong Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

hi , just want to share something w u all, as just got this opinion fr my friend- who is a vet. i;m going to bring timmy for 3rd injection tomm- which is 6-1 . one of this is to prevent 'coronavirus' . He suggested that if the injection on coronavirus- on timmy is 'LIFE VIRUS" then better not to as the virus will release into the air thru the dog within first 2 wks after injection- then it may be danger to human ( as now the research still not sure wat kind of Coronavirus that cause of SARS!!??).

if the injection is 'Killed virus' for coronavirus in timmy' jab- then only can consider. so that we wont get the risk of getting coronavirus that lead SARS.anyway i'll seek the vet opinion again tommorow ( not my friend, another vet) and gotta ask him is it killed or life virus. if its life virus- then i wont take it- i wil take 5-1 jab first- without the coronavirus.

(This post was edited by timmy on Apr 17, 2003, 6:31 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my