Lack of confidence

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jul 12, 2005, 9:19 PM

Post #1 of 16 (1885 views)
Shortcut
Lack of confidence Can't Post

hi everyone,

need some help here with my girl xena which is a gsd. previously i had a male gsd and he is a true gsd character..fearless,loyal,attentive,gentle..but this gsd girl i have now is almost totally different.. she;'s a bit timid sometimesss...shes submissive to dogs that are way smaller than her.. even sometimes when i rasied my voice ato scold my the other notti doggie...she will hide in a corner also.. i tried to be gentle with her and then try not to startled her too much... but i reallly need to boost up her confidence as sometimes its hard to train her if she's timid all the time... anyone has any suggestions??? now i cannot scold her eventhough sometimes she's notti... hmmm....it will be great of anyone could help...thankssss.....
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

michilly
Dog Kichi

Jul 12, 2005, 9:29 PM

Post #2 of 16 (1883 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] Lack of confidence [In reply to] Can't Post

My little baby was also very timid and submissive. She (an ACS) used to hide even when I stare at her after she does something wrong... don't even need to scold! Worse still... when she was about 3-4 months she started submissive peeing... cannot scare her... scold her etc...

So what I did to train her is that at most is say NO firmly and then let it be but can't shout etc. and I use more praises - positive reinforcement instead of negative. But training was VERY VERY slow!!! Sometime I feel like pulling all my hair out!Unsure But it's worth it cos now at 7 months she is not so timid already and less submissive peeing unless she is super excited about something... I think also that she trust me more...

Oh yeah, I also had to bring ppl to my house to introduce to her. A few persons at a time... then slowly take her out to meet ppl... she used to feel uncomfortable in new places. Now, she very OK with ppl - my vet say a bit siow... super friendly now.

So, I guess must be patient lor... hope it helps Tongue.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 13, 2005, 12:22 AM

Post #3 of 16 (1878 views)
Shortcut

Well a few questions coming to mind. Where did you get the puppy from? Did you see the parents?

It is possible that the genes are not good or that the puppy is from a puppy mill or that your puppy had a very bad experience.

If you have other dogs around and they bully then it would be a normal reaction for a young puppy to be submissive, just to play safe.

Whichever reason is behind that timid behavior, it will take a lot of time, a lot of love, lot of praise and lot of reassurance to improve.Praise a lot, move slowly with the training. Let her finish successfully all training sessions, even if you have to manipulate the result. Normally, a timid dog will appreciate the learnt rules and commands, since those things provide some stability and security. It knows what you want and it knows how to react to get your approval. Might be slow but definitely easy to train for OB.

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jul 13, 2005, 7:33 PM

Post #4 of 16 (1863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Lack of confidence [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there...

i got my girl from a breeder and yes i have seen the parents.. she's from a a promising show line as the father comes from a good breeder in australia which i known myself as well...as for the mum, she's a beautiful female with good temperament.. by the way my girl is almost two yrs old now.. when she was young..she's almost fearlesss...nothing will scared her unless she did something wrong..but as she grew older she tends to be a bit on the timid side.. she has no prob with other ppl or doggies but its those loud noises that scared her and sometimes its as though they can sense that youre in bad mood and she will get scared as well eventhough i did not scold her.. she has finished her CGC at the training.. she did pretty well but with loads of patience to train as i cannot use harsh voice eventhough sometimes i feel like pulling out my own hair..Wink... she's vcery socialize and extremely friendly but only towards small dogs and puppies..with big dogs like her own kind she will be abit snappy.. maybe wht u said is true...she was bully by a gsd before when we went out for outing.. n eversince then she's afraid of gsd.. i have a little bossy pug at home but then she's not afraid of her eventhough she alwiz bully her... they cannot be seperated or else they will feel uneasy.. well i guess i should start her back on her obedience for pre novice level to improve her condition...thanks for the advice...
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 13, 2005, 9:47 PM

Post #5 of 16 (1849 views)
Shortcut

It seems that she just had a bad experience (that’s life). Show-line dogs are a little softer then the working-line dogs, but certainly not timid.

We had a dog which was scared of noise and it turned out that he had an ear problem only. Sometimes the cause is pretty strange.

To increase the confidence try tug-o-war and let her win and praise her all the time. After a while, she will feel like being up the hierarchy ladder and this in turn increases her confidence level.

Good luck for the pre-novice class; this should help her as well.

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2005, 9:58 PM

Post #6 of 16 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Ever tried vigorous play or agility? Can go some way to help boost confidence, independence n drive levels in ur GSD. C 'Agility' n 'Socializing, play' threads under 'Dog Training' column 4 some examples of games 2 play with ur dog n intro 2 agility.Wink

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jul 15, 2005, 9:33 PM

Post #7 of 16 (1827 views)
Shortcut

well...thank for the advice but my girl is a bit lazy and a lot of times she refused to play...she will only play when she feels like it or else she will jst ignore....sometimes she can be very 'cool'...when i take her out for gatherings..she doesnt care much about the surroundings..she will jst sleep when the rest of the dogs are so excited.. Crazy

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 18, 2005, 8:36 PM

Post #8 of 16 (1796 views)
Shortcut

That would worry me. It is not normal for a GSD. Did you check her blood? She might have a health problem, which makes her acting cool, lazy and sleepy.I don’t know which vet is near your place who can do the blood test reliably good. I used to do that at AMC, but this place is a little more costly then others (good not cheap and cheap not good).

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2005, 2:34 AM

Post #9 of 16 (1783 views)
Shortcut

low drive dog with high threshold maybe?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 25, 2005, 8:59 PM

Post #10 of 16 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Lack of confidence [In reply to] Can't Post

I am afraid not. I guess that she has a health problem. A blood test should reveal the thru cause.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 6, 2005, 2:40 AM

Post #11 of 16 (1748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michilly] Lack of confidence [In reply to] Can't Post

my dog is totally opposite from urs. hee...

when she did something wrong ... i wanted to scold her and scare/shout at her...

she dun even bother me.... haih kasihan lar me...

my dad alwiz said 'how u train ur dog 1. she dun even listen to you'..Unsure

but i really dunno wat i can do.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 8, 2005, 5:18 PM

Post #12 of 16 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Lack of confidence [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds funny but I guess it is not so funny for you. Your dog does not see you as the pack leader. I don’t know what you are doing wrong but definitely YOU ARE doing something wrong. Nothing wrong with your dog.Follow my previously suggested method to establish yourself as the pack leader and I assure you that your dad will be very impressed and your dog will be very happy too.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 8, 2005, 5:23 PM

Post #13 of 16 (1713 views)
Shortcut

ya, i know its not funny and i feel kinda embarrassed..

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 8, 2005, 5:53 PM

Post #14 of 16 (1709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Lack of confidence [In reply to] Can't Post

Why? We are just dog lovers here and try to help each other and to help our furkids.

Just follow the method and establish yourself as the pack leader. It will not take a month and then you are ready to show off with your doggie.Have fun and Good Luck.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Aug 9, 2005, 6:40 AM

Post #15 of 16 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Blood test is an idea but it does cost a small fortune, as far as I know. The pedigree may be fantastic but in a litter there is always one. I did have a slight problem with one of my dogs, now 4 years of age but I did overcome the "timid" issue through the use of remote collar training. In general, what I did was to tell well more like like "informing" her ( almost sending her memo) what she was doing was incorrect and at the same time stimulating her and after a few times I stop telling her and just stimulating her until she gets it right and when she does get it right a nice "soft "praise is all that is required. Now this particular dog can pass the GCC test without problem. Let me put it this way, I can put her on "down stay" and disappear from her sight for three minutes and she would not move but stay with head between her front paw.

You need some time and the right way. This dog can now work with just a choke collar now.

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 10, 2005, 8:57 PM

Post #16 of 16 (1669 views)
Shortcut

hi...another artcile that i chanced by...more on shyness. hope it helps.

Shy or Fearful Puppy or Dog
Is your dog or puppy shy and leery of people; afraid of strangers, certain situations or objects? Is your dog fear snapping or is your puppy fear biting?

Is Shyness a Problem or Not?
It is natural for some dogs to be shy of things that are new and unfamiliar. During development, a dog becomes socialized with familiar people, animals, objects and situations. But they will still tend to shy away from the unfamiliar. Shyness in itself is not a problem. It is only a problem if the dog's shyness inhibits your lifestyle or if the dog develops other problems related to shyness such as fear biting. Shy dogs often bolt when frightened, endangering themselves by running blindly into danger, such as traffic.

Training Your Dog or Puppy to be Shy
In a well meaning attempt to calm their dog's fears, many people end up actually reinforcing the dog's shy behavior. In effect, the owner inadvertently trains the dog to be more fearful. Be careful not to reinforce your dog's fearfulness by offering reassurance. When our timid dog hides, barks defensively, whines, screams or snaps, our response is only natural. Our protective instincts cause us to reassure the dog by talking soothingly, petting or even picking up the dog for a hug. These actions flagrantly reward the dog for fearful behavior. It is best to just completely ignore your dog when he acts fearful. Let him learn by his own experience that there is nothing to be afraid of. Save your praise and reassurance for times when your dog acts with confidence.

Shyness, Fear and Socialization
Many people try to rehabilitate their dog too quickly, forcing him to socialize with other dogs and people. This usually reinforces the dog's view that other dogs and people are frightening. On the one hand, the dog needs to be socialized as quickly as possible, but on the other hand, he should not be forced into it. If you push your dog to do too much too soon, your dog will only become more fearful and may be forced into a situation where he feels he must defend himself. Socializing a dog and helping him build his confidence is a time consuming task. Thrusting him into the arms of every visitor and dragging him out to socialize with many other dogs can be counter-productive. Strangers should never be allowed to approach your dog to pet him. It should always be left to your dog to make the first contact. If your dog does not want to approach, that is OK. Just give him plenty of time to 'hide and peek' and eventually he will come out of hiding. It's up to you to provide ample opportunity for socialization, but it is up to the dog to proceed at his own pace. Don't verbally try to encourage him out of hiding. He will probably interpret your encouragement as praise for hiding. Don't try to force him to come out, this will only frighten him even more.

Fearful Snapping, Growling and Aggression
Shy or fearful dogs can react defensively when approached by unfamiliar people. They may try to keep strangers away by growling, snarling or snapping. These behaviors must not be ignored. No dog should be allowed to get away with acting aggressively towards humans. The fact that your dog is shy is no excuse to condone growling or biting. You must instantly and effectively reprimand such behavior. As soon as your dog stops acting aggressive, it is essential that you praise him. We do not want your dog to think that the presence of the stranger brings on the reprimand, but that his own obnoxious behavior causes you to get angry. If it is ever necessary for you to reprimand aggressive tendencies in your shy dog, you have probably been trying to push him along too quickly. Avoid similar threatening situations until your dog has developed sufficient confidence to deal with them without resorting to aggression. Do not allow strangers to reprimand your fearful or shy dog.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my