Westie

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Alyssa

May 23, 2005, 8:21 AM

Post #1 of 34 (4121 views)
Shortcut
Westie Can't Post

hai ppl.....

I have a bunch of ques to ask..and hope u, guys can help me out!!!

Well, I am gonna moved soon to my own place (apartment) and then only get a dog (most probably a westie)

Ques:

1. What should I prepare for my new pup ??e.g: the kennel, the bed ...???
2. What r the pre-thing that i should do when i get a pup?
3. Any recommended vet I should look out to in Damansara area or PJ?? and how's the price like??
4. How big should the pup be before I should get it??
5. Any recommended Westie 's breeder?? And, anyone know the price range??
6. How about the obedience class?? How do i enrolled and where???
7. Anybody knows, the procedure if i wan to keep my dog in the apartment?? Or should i just keep quiet about it?

So sorry for the lots of ques..!!!! All answers are deeply appreciated....Smile

Toy
K9 Maniac

May 23, 2005, 10:24 AM

Post #2 of 34 (4115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Alyssa] Westie [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
hai ppl.....

I have a bunch of ques to ask..and hope u, guys can help me out!!!

Well, I am gonna moved soon to my own place (apartment) and then only get a dog (most probably a westie)

Ques:

1. What should I prepare for my new pup ??e.g: the kennel, the bed ...??? u should prepare a crate, for her to sleep & keep her when u r not around. search for the most satisfied brand of food. bowls. chew toys. towels. shampoo. suppliments. comb. scissors. newspapers.
2. What r the pre-thing that i should do when i get a pup? you should choose to take in ur pups when u have few days off as it is very important for the 1st few days the pup arrive. wat u tought him & wat he behave will be wat is him as an adult.
3. Any recommended vet I should look out to in Damansara area or PJ?? and how's the price like?? the best vet (mt opinion) is Dr. Prem, Brickfields. This vet will do only wat is required, nothing extra. they will charge accordingly of corse, if it is RM3, they will tell u RM3. but if it is RM300, they will tell u frankly too.
4. How big should the pup be before I should get it?? Advicable to be 2-3months old.
5. Any recommended Westie 's breeder?? And, anyone know the price range?? Try look for as many as u wish, compare it & u will surely get the best 1. the price do vary for a pet quality & show quality, pet quality u can find at price ranging abt RM2000+ show quality abt RM3000+
6. How about the obedience class?? How do i enrolled and where??? puppy.com do offer, it is not hard to find out here. others? haha, dont expect me to post at a forum which got offer obedience class right?
7. Anybody knows, the procedure if i wan to keep my dog in the apartment?? Or should i just keep quiet about it? We can hardly find any apartment that allows dog in malaysia. thus it is not advicable to keep dog in an apartment. but if u insist, juz wana give u some tips. nobody include management personals & authorities can enter ur house. nothing is wrong if the pup in ur house is not belongs to u, say it is left by ur fren temporarly only. sometimes u might wish to pretend u r not at home even if u do. hope u understand wat i mean. all the best!

So sorry for the lots of ques..!!!! All answers are deeply appreciated....Smile aiyah, belanja me yam cha 1 day, dont talk only, take action! haha.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

May 23, 2005, 11:29 AM

Post #3 of 34 (4114 views)
Shortcut

I would suggest you check your tenancy agreement (if you are renting) or house rules (if you are buying) of the apartment before you get a dog. Some apartment management committes do not allow any pets whatsoever.

Whether you own or rent an apartment, they can still take steps against you - to evict you and/ or your dog. Even if the apartment management committee allows pets to be kept in the development, the owner of the apartment - if you are renting - may not allow it. Check thoroughly before you get your dog because if you flout the rules and regulations of the development, you may find yourself and your dog in legal hot soup. Defending your "right" to keep your dog under circumstances like that could cost you several thousand RM in legal fees and you will still lose if the house rules clearly state that no pets (or specific types of pets) are allowed.

There are several good vets in the Damansara/ PJ area. I would suggest you also get recommendations from your friends besides online recommendations. It is also a good idea to have more than one vet so that you can get a "2nd opinion" on veterinary matters or have an alternative vet in an emergency. Price is not the only determining factor as to whether a vet is good or not. You should feel confident of the vet's abilities as well as have a sense that the vet is up to date and aware of the latest/ alternative veterinary treatments. The vet should always take time to explain to you any treatments/ procedures that is recommended for your dog as well as give you time to go away and think about it. You shouldn't feel pressured by the vet to send your dog for a treatment that you may have reservations about.

As for getting your dog - find your new home first then look for your dog.

I hope this helps.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

Toy
K9 Maniac

May 23, 2005, 8:37 PM

Post #4 of 34 (4109 views)
Shortcut

so.. any updates from you?

Alyssa

May 24, 2005, 12:47 AM

Post #5 of 34 (4101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toy] Westie [In reply to] Can't Post

Hei...thanks for the advice......i just went and clean my apartment today......hoiping to move in latest by july and after settling down for a month or two , then get a Westie.....

But, arent sure about the management part....will check my contract tonite.....Wink well, serious , by hook or by crook....i wan a westie.......

anybody....selling arrr......???

p/s: u mention on the part, the pet quality and a show quality?? wats the difference???

and, wats "stripping of the coat" and how is it done??

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

May 24, 2005, 9:53 PM

Post #6 of 34 (4082 views)
Shortcut

hand stripping is the technique by which to maintain a westie's coat. westies have rough hair which shouldn't be shaved - the coat has to be hand stripped to remove the old hair. if the westie's coat is shaved, it will cause long term problems for the westie like skin problems.

i'm thinking of conducting a class on hand stripping westies but this won't be until at least august.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

Alyssa

May 24, 2005, 10:22 PM

Post #7 of 34 (4076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] Westie [In reply to] Can't Post

hei, coolll......maybe u should conduct the class...and i can go learn a few skills.....thanks

Alyssa

May 24, 2005, 10:28 PM

Post #8 of 34 (4072 views)
Shortcut

Another ques!!!

When I co choose my Westie....how do i know its really a pure breed.....any way, to tell the differences?? I dont wan to pay rm2500++ and get conned!!Smile

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 24, 2005, 10:42 PM

Post #9 of 34 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Hi

What made you choose Westie?

Dogs are like human, not every dog are having the same emotional characterstic and temparament.

I have a AST, She suppose to have fighting instinct with other dogs, but Shiki loves dogs and ppl.

My Westie, w/o training is very well behave too. She want to get close to us. She know when we dress up to work and she is o.k. to be leave alone for 12 hours. W/o toilet train, she know she can not do her biz inside the house, will wait for us back from work and if we are sleeping she will called us if she cannot control anymore. We dont ask her to do tricks.

She is my pet my companion not a puppet.

Frown

View my photo album

last update, ZEUS & Shiki's 2nd off springs, 16/09/2008. Yes 9.16!

http://s56.photobucket.com/...%20Zeus%20N%20Shiki/

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g192/ERN2/Dogs

glng675
Ultra ALPHA

May 24, 2005, 10:47 PM

Post #10 of 34 (4065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ERN] Westie [In reply to] Can't Post

Wu?? Lu u AST liao??!!!

My Boxers ALBUM (Updated : 22/Mar/2005)

http://photos.yahoo.com/glng675

Alyssa

May 24, 2005, 10:51 PM

Post #11 of 34 (4064 views)
Shortcut

of course, i wanted a companion as well......ur word seems to be a bit harsh , rite...to say that its not a puppet....i love dogs since i was young....they were my only playmate and guidance....I understand how is it to have a dog....but i'm just a student....i wanted to pay the rm 2500++ or more.....(coz i save a damn long time) for a pure breed....i have a fren who have been conned by those so called dog breeder before....am i wrong to be caution??

And, u r lucky that without training...ur furkids are behaving....not all are like that....i have a dog before long time ago....without training was destructive....he wouldnt listen and just destroy anything he sees...(even though he didnt mean it)..

(This post was edited by Alyssa on May 24, 2005, 10:54 PM)

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 24, 2005, 11:02 PM

Post #12 of 34 (4060 views)
Shortcut
Re: [glng675] Westie [In reply to] Can't Post

Peng yu

Suprice!!??

Shi lor, wa wu AST liow, Kevin tai bun liow leh.

Yi meah Shiki, Yi jin zheah suka lang ei. have to made her fierce to be a protector, Ko zhu shi yi ei kang la.

Lu ai kee Taiping ah? Wa pun ai kee leh. Keow Kevin arrange 11-12 June lah, so wa kee lu arranged gathering and Kevin bullies trip. Cant imaging loh, 16 chiak Bulies luang luang zhao, luang luang zhong. Good man.

Frown

View my photo album

(This post was edited by ERN on May 24, 2005, 11:07 PM)

glng675
Ultra ALPHA

May 24, 2005, 11:17 PM

Post #13 of 34 (4052 views)
Shortcut

"Ko zhu shi yi ei kang??!!!" hahaha...na boo yi boo kang chor???

Wa A gathering response bo ho!! E lang boo reply koh.

Dun know Kevin when going Taiping ler.

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 24, 2005, 11:30 PM

Post #14 of 34 (4050 views)
Shortcut

si loh, yi boo kang chor, yi ei luang luang ka mi kiah, chui lang xio pak.LaughSly

o.k. wa meng kevin liow kak lu khong.

Frown

View my photo album

glng675
Ultra ALPHA

May 25, 2005, 12:11 AM

Post #15 of 34 (4048 views)
Shortcut

Lu A AST kang a si bu?? Lu u drop E A ears boo??

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 25, 2005, 12:17 AM

Post #16 of 34 (4047 views)
Shortcut

Crop yi ei ear jing sakit leh. Mei lah. beh tahan lah.Shocked last time see your boxer wa feel suffering leh. Mad

Baru kevin call wa, yi khong lu arrange gathering, yi ai chua yi ei AST kee kia kia, zhao peng yu. So ka bang ka zai. ..

Frown

View my photo album

(This post was edited by ERN on May 25, 2005, 12:58 AM)

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

May 25, 2005, 3:03 AM

Post #17 of 34 (4036 views)
Shortcut

Good question Alyssa! Westies are not a breed commonly found in Malaysia. I never recommend getting dogs from pet shops because no matter what the pet shop may claim or what documentation they claim to have (ie MKA cert), there is no way to verify that any dog is what the pet shop claims it is!!!

There is no sure way of telling whether the puppy is pure bred or not except to see the puppy in it's home environment with it's mother and if possible, the father. The only way to see this is if you look for a home breeder who not only breeds westies but shows them as well. This is important because then the breeder should have some idea of what makes a good westie in terms of breed standard. There are people who breed for profit and they don't care about the quality of the dogs they breed from or the health of the puppies that are born. Some of those health problems may not surface until the puppies are older.

When you go and see the puppies, you should see them with their mother and any siblings from the same litter to see the interaction between the mother and the puppies. Later, when the mother is not there - the mother is not likely to let a stranger touch her puppies and may snap if she feels they are under threat - play with the puppies and make your choice based on which one you like and which one likes you back!

The ideal age for puppy to leave it's mother is between 8-12 weeks. Any earlier is cruel and mentally and socially unfair to any puppy.

A show standard westie is one that is of the standard to show with a good chance of being placed in a competition.

A pet quality westie is one which if you were to show it, is not likely to be placed in a competition.

I hope this helps.

Alyssa

May 25, 2005, 4:02 AM

Post #18 of 34 (4033 views)
Shortcut

Thanks so much Gus Gus...for ur advice.......it really helps alot........

do u know anyone who is selling a westie?? sigh!! i'm really looking for one......like u say i dont fancy a pup from pet shop , either....i got frens with bad experience too....sigh!!!

and the ad on Westie for sale in the puppy.com is from a pet shop too..... what should i do??

Unsure

(This post was edited by Alyssa on May 25, 2005, 4:05 AM)

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

May 25, 2005, 5:12 AM

Post #19 of 34 (4031 views)
Shortcut

you'll have to keep looking - it may take months. i have no idea where to get westies in malaysia.

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 25, 2005, 5:24 PM

Post #20 of 34 (4025 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
of course, i wanted a companion as well......ur word seems to be a bit harsh , rite...to say that its not a puppet....i love dogs since i was young....they were my only playmate and guidance....I understand how is it to have a dog....but i'm just a student....i wanted to pay the rm 2500++ or more.....(coz i save a damn long time) for a pure breed....i have a fren who have been conned by those so called dog breeder before....am i wrong to be caution??

And, u r lucky that without training...ur furkids are behaving....not all are like that....i have a dog before long time ago....without training was destructive....he wouldnt listen and just destroy anything he sees...(even though he didnt mean it)..

hey, please have a cup of tea and read my message again. I always welcome westie owner, sorry if my way of telling you mystroey ofended you.

t.q..

Frown

View my photo album

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 25, 2005, 5:57 PM

Post #21 of 34 (4023 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gus Gus

I think i met you mother and sister at the vet at OKR last 2 weekend. They are knowledgible about doggy, can identify Shiki immidiately.

At first i felt that the girl looks like you, then later they mentioned the name Monty, I thaught i wrongly feard the name, then later saw your car. Sly

Yuan Yuan will be back after 18 june and will join the JT again. see you there.

t.q.

Frown

View my photo album

(This post was edited by ERN on May 25, 2005, 5:58 PM)

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

May 25, 2005, 9:34 PM

Post #22 of 34 (4008 views)
Shortcut

Yes. My mum and sister were there 2 weeks ago. Our poodle Venus was having a lump removed. Fortunately, despite the lump being a tumour, it was benign. The stitches have since been removed and Venus has recovered fully.

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 25, 2005, 10:36 PM

Post #23 of 34 (4003 views)
Shortcut

oh poor venus, where was the lump?

What do you think of the vet, they are many there wearing tag "DR...". How about their charges?

Frown

View my photo album

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

May 26, 2005, 1:08 AM

Post #24 of 34 (4000 views)
Shortcut

They are all excellent vets. The charges are reasonable too. Not just the vets are excellent - the various staff they have there are also very compassionate animal lovers.

In March, I had another poodle who was there, Sophie. She was a rescue dog and hadn't been spayed. When she came to us 2 years ago, she had a mammary tumour. The cancer had already spread to her heart. Since spaying her was not an essential op we chose not to. She was estimated to have been around 14 years old when she came to us. In March, she got a womb infection and needed an emergency operation or she would have died from the infection. The operation was a success but unfortunately, because she was already so old, the stress of the operation was more than her body could take. Her wound took a long time to heal and it put a strain on her entire system. She died 2 weeks after the operation. The thing is, when Sophie was at the vet's, I went to visit her almost every day. Every morning, one of the vet's and the man called Tiger would take her out of her cage, clean her (she had diahorrea and vomitting), dress her wound, dry her with a hair dryer where ever she was wet from washing and groom her. Then, because they knew she didn't like the cage and the noise of the other dogs in the hospital area (it reminded her too much of her time at the SPCA. She was dumped there TWICE.), they would leave her in the exam room (with a towel to keep her warm) to rest until they needed the room.

They didn't do this for show - they didn't know when I was coming to see Sophie. They did this to make her as comfortable as possible. They treated her with kindness and compassion.

It's a good veterinary practice and I would recommend it to anyone.

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 26, 2005, 2:09 AM

Post #25 of 34 (3996 views)
Shortcut

is sophie the one you told me during JT?

and I heard your mum also mentioned the standard poodle, is it the same one she is refering too. Have not see standard poodle or standard shnauzer yet.

You are really pasionate to animal. SALUTE.

Frown

View my photo album

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my