First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 11, 2003, 6:48 AM

Post #26 of 47 (2318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hand and Leg,

I oso agree on the chicken....works wonders for my little rottweiler so far! Laugh

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Apr 11, 2003, 9:00 AM

Post #27 of 47 (2313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

I guess next time when my "labrador retriever" is much older, I must give her a try on the chic neck. Smile

cheers,
minglmy

boon
Doggyman

Apr 11, 2003, 4:39 PM

Post #28 of 47 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Hi Aunty,

u feed ur Jack Russel Weiler with raw chicken neck or raw one ? How about carcasses ?

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

(This post was edited by boon on Apr 11, 2003, 4:40 PM)

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 12, 2003, 12:44 AM

Post #29 of 47 (2299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Raw Smile....nowadays i give more on carcass than chicken necks....the carcass actually also comes with a chicken neck as well.

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 12, 2003, 1:09 AM

Post #30 of 47 (2294 views)
Shortcut

I've been reading through this thread and I'm a little shocked...and err...ignorant. Blush

Can you actually feed a carcass to a dog????? Shocked I mean, uncooked neck and feet and all that? ShockedShocked What about bacteria in the food?? hehe...sorry...this is my first time hearing about it.. Blush

I've always cooked the food I give to my dog. Even the chicken neck and chicken feet. What's the diff between giving it raw and cooked? And wouldn't eating it raw make their breathe stink?

Hope some of u can share a bit with me here...Blush sifus sifus...thank u

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 12, 2003, 7:39 AM

Post #31 of 47 (2289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi cshellz,

Raw diet is known as BARF...if u do a search on the net u'll find a lot of info on it....it's not something new...some ppl are ok with it while some find it eeky...difference between raw and cooked bones are cooked bones will harden and splinter....you'll find that u can actually break a raw chicken bone very much easier than a cooked one...as for the breath it's actually the opposite...if u feed raw i can assure u your dog will not hv any doggie breath at all...you can put your nose right inside your dog's mouth and won't faint Tongue....i don't feed chicken feet, more of the whole chicken carcass that ppl buy to cook soup? where u still hv meat attached to the bones....there's a lot of controversy in a BARF diet, so it all depends on how comfortable u are with it Smile

cdmoo
ALPHA

Apr 12, 2003, 7:53 PM

Post #32 of 47 (2278 views)
Shortcut

hi,

Understand from the forum member, Milooh, that her friend even gives live chickens to their dogs. So, I presume the dogs would eat the feathers as well..

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

mackmack
Doggyman

Apr 12, 2003, 8:23 PM

Post #33 of 47 (2277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Then the dog will be eating like a snake/crocodile?Shocked

yee~~~~ still hard to accept the way of raw-diet....Crazy

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 12, 2003, 8:53 PM

Post #34 of 47 (2274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Live chicken? Shocked wow...imagine our dog chasing the chicken hahahahaa....i know ppl also feed whole fish, with scales and guts and all...never tried that....that'll be gross for me Crazy

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 12, 2003, 11:32 PM

Post #35 of 47 (2269 views)
Shortcut

Wahlau..

Even the raw chicken neck and carcass already I find a little gory..Crazy ...but eating a chicken that's still alive???? Crazy Crazy Unsure I dun think I can stand watching/cleaning up!! I'll pengsan first after seeing the blood..

Well, it might be good, but I still find it a tad bit cruel to see the chicken suffer such a painful death! Frown And the fish??!! Crazy scales and guts and blood and all?? Crazy Crazy

This is still very new to me...I will go check out online about it though. But if the raw neck and carcass is good maybe I'll introduce it to Sparkle when he grows up a bit. But the whole fish and whole chicken...I think I'll make a decision for Sparkle and pass that..Wink

I learn something new everyday here...hehe Wink Wink

mackmack
Doggyman

Apr 12, 2003, 11:35 PM

Post #36 of 47 (2267 views)
Shortcut

Grilled fish tried b4, fried crispy ikan bilis also yummy~ but high cholestrol. Well, once a while as rewards, not bad...can WIN their hearts....
hahahhah....and be the GOOD person...TongueWink

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 12, 2003, 11:35 PM

Post #37 of 47 (2266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

oh...and thank u all sifus...for the lessons... Smile

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 12, 2003, 11:53 PM

Post #38 of 47 (2266 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gina,

Live chickens for dinner huh? Maybe for the bigger breeds. Actually, I've toyed with the idea (briefly!) of letting Lee Ron loose on a hamster and see what happens. Schnauzers were orginally bred to be ratters, which explains why they spot movement very quickly and chase it down.

Do rest assured that this is just a fleeting thought. No need to call SPCA!Shocked I have read in other forums that MS will kill and eat small animals (One owner let his MS alone with his kids pet hamster...when they came back, all that's left is some bits of fur and a happy MS with blood on his muzzle...)

Rdgs Arthur...

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2003, 12:11 AM

Post #39 of 47 (2263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Cshellz,

Actually come to think of it, dogs in the wild have been hunting and killing their food to survive. And eating them raw as well. This is one of the basis of BARF supporters. The commercial dry dog food industry only took off fairly recently in 1960s or thereabouts.

Most owners that put their pets on a BARF diet do notice a healthier disposition. Coats and eyes are shiny, teeth are white and no smelly breath..even behavioural changes. Dogs will eat almost everything in a kill, including the intestines of the prey (usually herbivores). Indirectly, they are also consuming vegetation thru the intestines/stomach contents. BARF thus consists of both raw meat,bones and vegetables as well. Of course with raw food, there is always the risk of food poisoning due to bad bacteria. However, if the food is fresh, prepared under hygenic conditions, then this risk is minimised. Otherwise, we will not have sushi! (I like sushi!Smile )

In the end, like Gina says, it is up to the owners preference. Hope this helps.

Rdgs Arthur (BTW, I feed dry dog food mainly, supplemented with cooked chicken necks to clean teeth)

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2003, 1:48 AM

Post #40 of 47 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

hehe well does Lee Ron chases and hunt anything at home? i know biscuit is obsessed with hunting at home all the time...jrts were bred to hunt too, primarily to hunt foxes but also vermins when they're at home....i know if u put a hamster in front of him that's the end of it...coz outside our hse sometimes u can find a rat running by (usually very late at night) and he is just obessed with getting at them.....after midnite if u let him out in the garden he'll stand there with his 'hunting pose and look' waiting to pounce at anything that moves....if u say the word lizard lizard he'll know how to look up at the ceiling with excitement hahahaaha Laugh

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2003, 2:46 AM

Post #41 of 47 (2253 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gina,
Not only Lee Ron but Lee Sha and Pepper will dash to the backyard whenever they hear the lizard making a noise up near the flourescent lights. All 3 of them will be like Biscuit..looking up and sometimes barking away.
If they are outside, they love to chase birds, squrriels, cats..basically anything that moves.Crazy If the neighbourhood is quiet, then they'll play pounce on each other especailly Lee Ron who likes to instigate play. Sometimes we get to see a hilarous scene where he's being chased by the 2 girls round and round like crazy. Probably he said or did something that got the 2 girls sooo mad at him!

Rdgs Arthur

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2003, 6:03 AM

Post #42 of 47 (2248 views)
Shortcut

haaaaahaaaa i can imagine the scene already, Lee Ron being chased by the girls...probably said something mean to the girls (like all typical boys like to do! Tongue)...poor Lee Ron, bullied by girls Sly

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2003, 7:16 PM

Post #43 of 47 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gina,
Yes, I totally agree with you. He most probably said someting very mean to get both girls to chase him round and round like that..
Anyway, back to the topic of dental care..I have always admired Biscuit's clean and white teeth.. Do you feed him a chicken carcass everyday? or alternate days...
Rdgs Arthur

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 14, 2003, 2:48 AM

Post #44 of 47 (2235 views)
Shortcut

eerrr...used to be everyday...morning meals kibbles, evening meal carcass with steamed veggies...but sometimes i skip the carcass and give him steamed liver and gizzards....but nowadays very seldom i feed him fresh food Blush...coz i've started working already and don't really hv time to prepare fresh for him....i can really see the difference u know frm before and now....since i dun feed him raw as much his teeth is not as good as before, so i hv to brush or scrape his teeth occasionally, and also his breath is starting to smell Pirate....but i got him one of those nylon bones to chew which really works wonders too....if he chews long enough it helps with the teeth stain and bad breath....i'll probably continue feeding him fresh food once i get used to working life again....u know lar so long never work liao suddenly start working very tiring for me not used to the hrs Tongue

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 14, 2003, 6:34 PM

Post #45 of 47 (2226 views)
Shortcut

hi arthur! Smile

Thanks for the info Arthur and Gina. When Sparkle is a little older I will let him try out one raw neck first...see if he (and I!!! heheh) can take it or not...Wink

U know..I got one of those plastic chew bones to clean Richie's teeth b4, but that fella hid the bone and I still can't find it!

houyee
Novice

Jul 2, 2003, 12:57 PM

Post #46 of 47 (2195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

i know you're not suppose to advertise here but greenies are all the rage nowadays. they smell good too. can't buy dog toothpaste in ipoh lah. the pet shops so ah beng one :P anyway i just clean rowena's teeth with an old dish cloth! i read somewhere you need to do scaling at age 3-4 years under anaesthesia. my vet offers that too.

btw mack mack...you are not an insomniac cause you are in LA and it is morning there!!! duh! hehe
zippy 'rowena' kojak

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 2, 2003, 1:14 PM

Post #47 of 47 (2194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [houyee] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiyoh~

how can u describe a pet shop as "ah-beng"~??? here is not morning. 15 hours behind KL time. now about 2:15 pm of july 1st.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my