First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Riccaval
ALPHA

Apr 4, 2003, 7:39 PM

Post #1 of 47 (4459 views)
Shortcut
Dental Care and Problems Can't Post

Hello pple,
I was wondering how many of us really take care of our dogs dental hygiene. When I got one of my dogs it came with bad, no rotten, upper premolars, the ones next to the canine. Since then it has deterioated, the tooth has become loose and the gums are inflame. I'm going to have them extracted soon.
None of my other dogs have this problem except for minor amount of tartar which i clean them periodically.
Has anyone encountered such problems and what would be your adviseSmile
Thanks

wkser
ALPHA

Apr 4, 2003, 7:55 PM

Post #2 of 47 (4448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

i dun am i doing the right thing...every morning i brush nous teeth with tooth brush with tooth paste i got from pet shop.......Wink

regards
kangser and nous

minidinosaur
Novice

Apr 4, 2003, 7:55 PM

Post #3 of 47 (4447 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hello pple,
I was wondering how many of us really take care of our dogs dental hygiene. When I got one of my dogs it came with bad, no rotten, upper premolars, the ones next to the canine. Since then it has deterioated, the tooth has become loose and the gums are inflame. I'm going to have them extracted soon.
None of my other dogs have this problem except for minor amount of tartar which i clean them periodically.
Has anyone encountered such problems and what would be your adviseSmile
Thanks

hi, since your dog has oready lost his or her teeths, there isnt much u can do. but why dun u start now, but taking care of what is remaining. buy toothpaste from petshop, think the brand DDT is not bad and start to brush the dog teeth an gum. do it like 3 times a week, both outer and inner. if u have an issue using toothbrush, which is usually more pain for teh dog, use a cloth instead.

this also help to clear bad breath.

hope that helps.:)

cheers

milooh

Apr 4, 2003, 11:06 PM

Post #4 of 47 (4443 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, I brush my dogs' teeth once or twice a week. And if there is tartar, I believe its called calculus, I use a scraper made of stainless steel which I bought from online stores. I think its very very important to take care of our dogs' teeth as I know of some people who bring their dogs in to have their teeth clean and it cost a fortune. Happy clean smiles to your all.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 4, 2003, 11:13 PM

Post #5 of 47 (4444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

How in the world did you guys manage to get your dogs to sit still and let u brush their teeth and gums and remove tartar???!!! ShockedShockedShockedShocked

How old must the dog be before we start brushing their teeth?? Sparkle is only about 8-9 weeks old and he still has his baby teeth.

I bought a toothbrush and toothpast from the pet shop about 2 years back to brush Richie's teeth and he nearly bit my hand off and refused to keep still!!! UnsureMad Tried a few times but then nobody in my family could do it. In the end, I resorted to buying those chew stuff which is 'supposed' to clean the dog's teeth. I know that wasn't effective....Frown

Can someone please post some advise on how to brush a dog's teeth? Thank you!!

Riccaval
ALPHA

Apr 4, 2003, 11:33 PM

Post #6 of 47 (4440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser,minidinosaur,milooh] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Winkkangser, you're great, I won't be surprise if you share the same toothbrush and paste with Nous. Thks for the feedback.

Coolminidinosaur, hi and thanks for your input.

SlyMilooh, hi, I have the stainless steel scraper too. I have no problems with the other dogs except the one I mentioned. It was already there when I got him. Really feel sad for himUnsure Thanks anyway for your feedback.

cdmoo
ALPHA

Apr 5, 2003, 12:24 AM

Post #7 of 47 (4435 views)
Shortcut

hi Derrick,

Beside this toothpaste /toothbrush from the pet shop and the scraper (by the way, is this available in most pet shops? ) , do you know of any traditional way of cleaning their teeth?

TQ

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

Riccaval
ALPHA

Apr 5, 2003, 12:41 AM

Post #8 of 47 (4434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi CD,
I also use the Oxyfresh gel as toothpaste. This gel can also be use for hot spots, insect bites, minor cuts etc. contain Aloe V.
As for the stainless steel scrapper, i got mine at Crufts and so far i havent seen it in any of the local petshop. This is a two sided scrapper with different angles. Its good and effective.
someone also gave me some so call 'volcanic' ashes to rub against the dog teeth. Claimed to be good for polishing the teeth.

Does anyone in the forum sends their dog to the vet for scaling and polishing of teeth?

RegardsCool

mackmack
Doggyman

Apr 5, 2003, 2:43 AM

Post #9 of 47 (4427 views)
Shortcut

I did. Brushed mack's teeth as a routine job everytime i bath him. Followed by nails trimming and ears-cleaining....etc.

But the way to brush him is a bit different than yours.
He will do it by himself. Guess he liked the taste of the toothpaste, after i put on the toothpaste on the brush, he'd snap it and had the whole brush inside his BIG mouth, chew, and chew, and chew until filled of foams. Sometimes he'll have it out by himself, sometimes i just need to dig it out from his mouth! After that, rinse thoroughly..... Job Done!

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

(This post was edited by mackmack on Apr 5, 2003, 2:45 AM)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Apr 5, 2003, 10:24 AM

Post #10 of 47 (4422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha....so good lar wonder how to train mine to do it coz, she only likes to brush her teeth using my fingers Crazy chewing and all

cheers,
minglmy

mackmack
Doggyman

Apr 6, 2003, 12:44 AM

Post #11 of 47 (4416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

I didn't TRAIN mack on the hygiene matter la.... it was him being too playful and thought the foams inside his mouth is FUN and the tooth paste taste good to him gua.....
at first, mack disliked the "water-rinsing" part,
but since I did teeth-brushing during bathing time, then i add-in face-massage session lo.... u know.... the spots behind the ears and around his neck.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 6, 2003, 7:23 PM

Post #12 of 47 (4406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [All] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

dear all,

hi, i happen to watch a tv program yesterday and they talked about dog's teeth. they did a comparison test, and it seems big, harden dog biscuits do reduce tartar. so they made these crazy BIG square dog biscuits for the dogs to eat - and really - their tartar was greatly reduced. after the program, i gave my dog one of those big rectangular eukanuba healthy biscuit to consume (i gave the whole piece - normally i would break it into pieces for him, but not this time), and indeed, part of the tartar was gone

besides that, they also mentioned about brushing the dog's teeth - it's strongly advisable to do so every day. brush the teeth in circular motion, both outside, and inside.

tartar could easily develop within minutes, so it's really important to take care of your dog's teeth - if not, they will develop gum problems in future.

just sharin' a bit of info. hope this helps :)

regards,
yellow-toothed hunter

milooh

Apr 6, 2003, 8:19 PM

Post #13 of 47 (4404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a good link. Hope this helps.

http://www.catndoghospital.com/teethbrush.htm
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

mackmack
Doggyman

Apr 7, 2003, 7:56 AM

Post #14 of 47 (4398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah~
those are very good treats compare to "bacon bacon". and i think it's mroe fun to let them chew on.
can kill their time, their energy, and good for tartar.
but i fed mack those "bone" once a week only.... so he won't have a boring weekendsWink

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 7, 2003, 8:02 AM

Post #15 of 47 (4396 views)
Shortcut

hi,

no no .. eukanuba healthy biscuits are simply treats which i got free from purchasing their doggie food a couple of weeks ago - they're slightly bigger and harder to chew on compared to other treats.

what bone are you referring to? those rawhides? or nylon bones? or bone shaped treats :D? so many la.

regards,
yellow toothed hunter

mackmack
Doggyman

Apr 7, 2003, 8:04 AM

Post #16 of 47 (4394 views)
Shortcut

The tartar-prevention products that you mentioned about, but in bone shape, about the size of my palm.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 7, 2003, 8:08 AM

Post #17 of 47 (4392 views)
Shortcut

aaah........... :O

many of those products but don't know which really works anyway. i once bought him some crazy red bone for him to kill tartar and time.

turn out he finished the one big bone (it's made of hard cereal..) within 3 hours - with his teeth and paws and mouth covered with horrifying red color - like he ate a cow or something. haha. never bought him those again.

mackmack
Doggyman

Apr 7, 2003, 8:13 AM

Post #18 of 47 (4390 views)
Shortcut

oh yeah~
i always avoid buying treats full of artificial color.... it just doesn't seems right tit-bits for them, just my feeling~

yazi
Novice

Apr 7, 2003, 10:00 AM

Post #19 of 47 (4388 views)
Shortcut
Re: Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

to remove tartar, can try using nylonbone/gummabone.

its works wonder for beanWink

more info can found here:

http://www.nylabone.com/dental/
[A Dog is the only thing on earth that luv you more than you luv yourself ;p]

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 7, 2003, 8:06 PM

Post #20 of 47 (4382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hahaahaaa... I have the same question too!!
Also, I would think Trivor would swallow the tooth paste rather than let me rinse off. err.... It should be ok to swallow right?
She is 4 months old, and I never brush her teeth before. I am going to start now!! woof woof...

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Apr 7, 2003, 8:23 PM

Post #21 of 47 (4380 views)
Shortcut

hey everyone..

odie loves his toothpaste...it's peanut butter in taste...i guess it's just too yum yum for his to resist...

it's kinda hard getting him to sit still..but once he sees the toothbrush and the paste..he's gonna surrender immediately..

Wink
Meme

odie moves MY world!

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 8, 2003, 1:01 AM

Post #22 of 47 (4369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the information!! I want to start brushing Sparkle's teeth but he's only nearly reaching 9 weeks. Is he still too young?

When should we start brushing their teeth or do u guy recommend me starting it now so he can get used to it?

Thanks!!! Smile

boon
Doggyman

Apr 10, 2003, 3:22 AM

Post #23 of 47 (4349 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Uncle,

raw or cooked cicken neck will reduce and whiten dogs' teeth. It work perfectly for my monkey.

Mack/Hunter : try to fe the Nutor Max bone, the biscuit size is super huge and hard, about 3 inches per biscuit.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

wkser
ALPHA

Apr 10, 2003, 6:26 PM

Post #24 of 47 (4344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

hi boon,

Wink uncle hahaha.........yeah raw or chicken neck will reduce and whiten dog's teeth ...it works for my little pincher(nous)heheheheh.....WinkSmile

regards
kangser and nous

boon
Doggyman

Apr 10, 2003, 7:26 PM

Post #25 of 47 (4341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Dental Care and Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kang Ser,

Hahahhahaha, Pincher ? No lah, Ah Nu should be either :

1. Labrador De Pincher OR

2. Pincher Retriever

Which from the name u can tell, bark like a pincher (high pitch) and look like a retriever. TongueWinkSmile

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my