Yearly Heartworm Injection Nearly Kill my Dog

therock
Novice

Apr 11, 2005, 11:59 PM

Post #1 of 13 (1656 views)
Shortcut
Yearly Heartworm Injection Nearly Kill my Dog Can't Post

Dear all;

I brought my cute maltese lately in a Ipoh clinic. The Dr introduced me a yearly Heartworm prevention which according to her is the latest technology. So I trusted her with full confidence and got the injection. The next day after injection my dog couldn't wake up and rushed back to the Dr. The Dr said it was in shock due to the injection. I was totally crazy and worried what had I done - I trusted the Dr and now I got this. She treated my maltese for few days luckily survive and well now. She told me that this product had been banned in other countries but the manufacturer was still selling here.

How can such a irresponsible company exist here? Pfizer recall their product as soon as they realized of side effects. We must beware and really question in detail before getting anything from Dr.

Best of luck

maxsimkh
Novice

Apr 12, 2005, 5:48 AM

Post #2 of 13 (1640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [therock] Yearly Heartworm Injection Nearly Kill my Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hi.

i'm just curious, how old is your maltese? What was the heartworm prevention that the vet used? Did she test your maltese for heartworm before injection? Have your maltese on heartworm prevention before?

khoo262
Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2005, 11:38 PM

Post #3 of 13 (1622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [therock] Yearly Heartworm Injection Nearly Kill my Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

rock,

which vet you went to ah?? as i'm from ipoh, i need to know.
finally..... khoo262 has come back to puppy.com

khoo262
Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2005, 12:20 AM

Post #4 of 13 (1607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khoo262] Yearly Heartworm Injection Nearly Kill my Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

went to many vets in Ipoh but have not found any bad ones. on the contrary, found many good ones...but decided to stick to a vet which is near my house..

therock
Novice

Apr 17, 2005, 7:46 PM

Post #5 of 13 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khoo262] Yearly Heartworm Injection Nearly Kill my Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really frustrated today after checking for the product from the manufacturer site and resource site which nearly caused the death of my maltese.

The product is called ProHeart belong to Fort Dodge and its director clearly issued letter to vets and consumers warning the recall and banned issue on this product by FDA. To my astonishment, why local vets still dare to use this product I will keep this document and wait for legal action if the next vet ask me to use this product.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2005, 6:17 PM

Post #6 of 13 (1578 views)
Shortcut

which vet has been using this banned product? Just mention the area. I will know who he is..

lai peng
Novice

Apr 19, 2005, 8:08 PM

Post #7 of 13 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Khoo,
I live in Ipoh too and send my min pin to this vet in ipoh garden east (near the flats). Can you share responsible vets info?

khoo262
Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2005, 11:46 PM

Post #8 of 13 (1555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lai peng] Yearly Heartworm Injection Nearly Kill my Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

you mean Dr Goh? he's a good vet. no problems but sometimes charge a bit expensive. what dogs do you have? I have a male GSD, male GR and a female mongrel.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2005, 12:06 AM

Post #9 of 13 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lai peng] Yearly Heartworm Injection Nearly Kill my Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

we should exchange info on any good/bad vets and good/bad pet shops in ipoh...

lai peng
Novice

Apr 21, 2005, 12:43 AM

Post #10 of 13 (1543 views)
Shortcut

I only know the doctors as Gilbert & Sharon (not sure if he's the same dr.goh you mentioned). Anyway I am a relatively new dog owner. My min pin (6 months old named scrabby doo) is the first dog I have on my own. Been only to this vet in ipoh gdn east becos I bought scrabby from there. As for pet shops, I bought most of my stuff in KL (the petshop in Ikano) since I am in KL often. Been to a pet shop in ipoh gdn (the one near the old parkson ria) and found the owner not that helpful. Any other good pet shop in Ipoh? You have 3 dogs! Must be very experienced with dogs related issues? is there any socialization or training classes in Ipoh? Scrabby really needs that. He's becoming really spoit and stubborn by the day.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2005, 6:28 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1537 views)
Shortcut

there's training class in YMCA ipoh every week but i could not attend as my schedule quite tight, i'll find out more info for you and pass to you thru here. heard that the trainer is quite good. i go to the pet shop near taman DR roundabout. The owner is quite experience in this field. there's a new pet shop near manjung restaurant (pusing public sea food) that you should avoid as the owner is quite dishonest.

been keeping dogs for quite a long time. learn a lot about dogs from the members here.

rusty
Novice

Apr 24, 2005, 8:27 AM

Post #12 of 13 (1526 views)
Shortcut

Dear Rock,

Very sorry to hear of the adverse reaction to Proheart injection. Myself was also sceptical initially on putting my precious on the Proheart injection when my vet first introduced it to me. After showing me some important FACTS, then was I convinced. The following are some important information.

1. Proheart 6 was a voluntary recall by the manufacturer after FDA's report showed increased adverse reactions that was PROBABLY due to the injection.

2. The one which the vets are using in Malaysia is Proheart SR12 which in no country has banned and not Proheart 6.

3. Proheart SR12 is also used by vets in Australia and the authorities are also monitoring the adverse reactions incidence in Australia and they found that it is on a declining trend ie. less and less cases are reported each year, even though the concentration of the drug in Proheart SR12 is three times higher than Proheart 6.

4. Proheart was produced to improve compliance. The other two available modes of heartworm prevention were daily oral or monthly oral preventatives. Which one is the least hassle and easiet, daily, monthly or yearly ? This is the important issue that caused me to switch over to yearly prevention as I am always forgetful.

5. www.proheart6.com is the website that you can check out the latest information. What they have found in most recent report was that a Professor from Purdue University analyzed data from 7 million canine visits at more than 400 hospitals. He concluded the safety profile of Proheart 6 appeared similar to 2 commonly used monthly oral heartworm preventatives. FDA up to today still can't make any decision to call for a total ban on Proheart 6.

Having showing to you all the above, I am not saying that Proheart is absolutely safe. ANYTHING that is injected or administered orally, there is always a possibility of the dog developing adverse reaction. The most important thing is that the vet must be competent to handle the reaction, administer emergency therapy and prevent death which in your case the vet managed to save your dog. I don't think any vet in this world will be able to predict whether a dog will develop an adverse reaction to certain medication. Sometimes we have to leave everything to God and hope for the best.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2005, 6:23 PM

Post #13 of 13 (1522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rusty] Yearly Heartworm Injection Nearly Kill my Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for providing this info. At least we know what's going on.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my