Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Golden Retriver Revisited (8 April 2005)

tzevoon
New User

Apr 9, 2005, 2:26 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Golden Retriver Revisited (8 April 2005) Can't Post

Hi,
I've always been interested in a golden retriver. I'm thinking of getting a g.r. puppy but I really need all the information I need. I live in a terrace house. Most of the post here are too general and pin-pointed on some paticular problems. Here are some which i need more information on

1) Does g.r. shed a lot? Would he require daily grooming?
2) Is air-cond required? Will they be well-suited for hot-humid climate with their long fur?
3) Does a g.r. ark easily? Or get agitated easily?
4) I'm in kota kinabalu, Any trainer & good breeder i can look for?
5) What's the early years of a g.r. like? I work in the day but my home will not be empty.
6) How much shold i be looking at for monthly maintenance (food, vaccination etc etc)
7) Anything else i should know?

I want to have a golden retriever for a companion. Don't really need a guard dog.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Apr 9, 2005, 10:05 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tzevoon] Golden Retriver Revisited (8 April 2005) [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, here are my 2 cents, btw i own 2 GR.

1) Does g.r. shed a lot? Would he require daily grooming?

yes they will require regular grooming about 3 - 4 times a week, they shed a lot!! but in our malaysian weather here it's not too bad. they shed twice a year.

2) Is air-cond required? Will they be well-suited for hot-humid climate with their long fur?

air cond not required but keep them in a cool environment. i think all dogs should not be left outside the house in the sun or without any cool air. they of course will prefer air cond but it's not necessary.

3) Does a g.r. ark easily? Or get agitated easily?

GR are very calm breed. get from a reputable breeder and you will see the true GR's attitude. it will not bark so often but it will bark upon seeing strangers. i dont recall hearing my GR bark at anything.Crazy
4) I'm in kota kinabalu, Any trainer & good breeder i can look for?

check your listing.

5) What's the early years of a g.r. like? I work in the day but my home will not be empty.

GR are young at heart. they mature quite late. puppy years (8 weeks to 1 year) can be headache esp earlier weeks as they are notorious for chewing. they are explorer and will take anything in the their mouth to explore. after 1 year its the teenager years, imagine a 14 / 16 yrs old kid who wont obey, that sounds like a GR but it's all liveable.

6) How much shold i be looking at for monthly maintenance (food, vaccination etc etc)

there are 3 shots required during puppyhood which averages about RM70 (6+1). dog food depends on brand but u get what u pay for. i spend about RM150 (holistic dog food) for about 2 months for both of my dogs. they need play toy. GR need training, if u can train urself u dont have to spend on obedience class.
7) Anything else i should know?

they are highly demanding of attention. they need to be train and need to know what is their purpose. they are excellent with children and will do anything for them but never leave them alone together as a GR can be pushy with attention. they are big eaters, so dont succumb to the "sad" face. you need to control their weight so they dont get overweight. they are prone to hip problems so need good care during early stage of life. they are excellent swimmer and will swim when the opportunity is given. they love the water! they practically survive on love and human companionship so it's best not to get one if u work long hours, have no time to train or spend with or not financially able.

hope this all helps

tzevoon
New User

Apr 12, 2005, 12:51 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] Golden Retriver Revisited (8 April 2005) [In reply to] Can't Post

ok thanks mate. unfortunately there is no breeder or trainer listed here. my only worry is actually the 'shedding' part....hmmm....

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Apr 12, 2005, 4:12 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1042 views)
Shortcut

the shedding is not so bad if u comb them every other day.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Apr 16, 2005, 8:47 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1009 views)
Shortcut

i also tend to like GR becoz they tends to look happy and always wagging their tail as they walk, but i don;t think a can manage their coat. and it will upset to see my GR will all coat tanggle.

so if u want to minimize the time of maintanance, u can opt for a labrador that hav the same personalities as GR but with short coat. (but ofcoz lab are not as handsome as GR) and they usually hav the tendency of getting obese.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

tzevoon
New User

Apr 17, 2005, 1:00 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Golden Retriver Revisited (8 April 2005) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for introducing labrador to me. My knowledge on dogs is almost nil. A labrador retriever looks the same to me, from behaviour to potential problems, except for the coat. Are they of the same breed? I managed to do some read up at http://www.puppy.com.my/breed/labrador.html

and labrador tend to develop hip problems just like a golden retreiver. Anyway, I think a labrador may be my next choice. Thanks.... Hope I can get one soon...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Apr 18, 2005, 4:33 PM

Post #7 of 7 (988 views)
Shortcut

mostly large breed dogs will tends to have hips problem.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my