Mouthing during play

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2003, 5:56 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Mouthing during play Can't Post

Hi,

Some books say that beagles like to use their mouths when they play. I am currently facing this problem. Sometimes, when we try to pat or stroke Bodhi, she won't sit still and will go for our hands with her mouth. She doesn't bite though, but just wants to "hold" it. I've looked through some posts on "nipping" but the thing, is Bodhi is not "nipping" at all. So, couldn't find any solutions there. Worst part is, she thinks it's a game (tail wagging and all) eventhough we reprimand her everytime she does that.

The only thing that works so far is to distract her with a chewtoy. But I can't have a toy with me all the time, right? Furthermore, I am also careful not to give her the idea that everytime she uses her mouth, she gets a chewtoy. So, what I do is, I turn my back and ignore her everytime she uses her mouth, hoping that she will get the idea that "use mouth = no play". But she doesn't seem too bothered and happily go about doing her own things. I still trying, but not much progress so far. I'm at my wit's end trying to overcome thisFrown. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on this? Thanks in advance.

Ausranger
Dog Kichi

Mar 28, 2003, 9:26 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] Mouthing during play [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how old your Bodhi is. My Emmy was a big mouther when a puppy, I think it's a stage they go through. She's grown out of it, for the most part, but still does it occasionally when she gets really excited playing. It's not a nip or a bite, just a pushing up against you with her open mouth. Of course sometimes it hurts when her teeth knock into you.
We did the same as you, just ignored her and immediately stopped playing whenever she mouthed, maybe growl at her a little to let her know we aren't happy. Anyway, it has sort of worked, as I say she's doesn't do it much any more.

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2003, 10:39 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ausranger] Mouthing during play [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ausranger,

Oops, sorry I forgot to mention that Bodhi is almost 9-mths old Blush. Yeah, I'm hoping it's just a phase....and yes, it hurts when her teeth knocks into our hands Frown. Cheers!Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my