Help with leash training!

Tiggykoh
Dog Kichi

Mar 30, 2005, 6:38 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Help with leash training! Can't Post

Hi all,

I just adopted a new dog, Pumpkin, (mixed breed) and I am having trouble getting her on a leash. She will allow me to leash her and will remain quiet while I am around. The moment I walk away, she will jump up and try to catch her leash with both front paws! She is not playing with the leash as you can see she is in a state of panic. She jumps and screams in fear and hits the ground pretty hard (since she is trying to jump in the air and catch the leash with her front paws!).

I had a shar pei once which clings to my leg when he is leashed (so I have to walk with a shar pei attached to leg! Tongue), but he slowly got over the fear when I gently pried him from my leg and took him round my garden.

But Pumpkin just pulls at the leash, jumps and is in a general state of panic. Is there anything anyone can suggest I do? I have never come across such fear before..

PSY
K9 Kaki

Apr 3, 2005, 7:25 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tiggykoh] Help with leash training! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Try this, put a fairly long leash on Pumpkin, squat down and call, tempt it with some snacks and when it makes it to you really phrase it. Keep doing it until Pumpkin gets right. I have a dane that is fairly similiar, never did believe tying a dog up, my mistake, however with this method taught to me by my trainer, I can now take it for walks. Good luck.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Apr 3, 2005, 12:39 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1264 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

try associating the leash with something positive (as PSY suggested). Dogs learn through association. Take it step by step. Maybe try tying a string to her first and play with her..then later on move on to the leash. All while playing/creating a positive environment. Take her fear off her mind by getting her to concentrate on what she likes. Kind of like taking a child's mind off the injection he's gonna get by offering him his favourite toy. (this theory can be applied to other things as well,not just fear of leashes)

All the best Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Sydney
Doggyman

Apr 4, 2005, 12:27 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1249 views)
Shortcut

hey,

my Silky oso does this but he bites in a fun way. This is quite common to dogs. But how do you noe ur dog is in panicPirate? You have to guide your dog and tell him to dont pounce on it.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Tiggykoh
Dog Kichi

Apr 4, 2005, 5:57 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Help with leash training! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi All

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I tried to put a long leash on her this weekend for her bath. She was so frightened she peed! So I tried to give her a bath without the leash and she ran off with her body covered in suds! I spent countless minutes chasing her and it would have been funny if it was just fun and she wasn't so frightened!! Wink

I am starting to think she may have been badly beaten / punished in Paws when she was tied up. She is normally quite a steady little dog but when she sees a leash, she falls to pieces.....

Thanks for everything.

Sydney
Doggyman

Apr 16, 2005, 1:14 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1217 views)
Shortcut

At least you can have someone holding the dog wif the leash then you can bathe it easily rather than to chase him all aroundCrazy. it will drive you mad. Peeing when nervous is common though. You just have to put the leash everyday to let her get used to it..

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my