Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Stubborn during walks & toys for an old dog.

in
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 1:29 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1429 views)
Shortcut
Stubborn during walks & toys for an old dog. Can't Post

Hi. Just a couple of questions. My dog is a about 6 yars old. He was rescued about 3 months ago, so I don't know about his past history.

Firstly. How do I keep him occupied while I'm at work, what stuff do you recommend. Is he too old for toys?

Secondly, when going for walks, at a certain point, he will get very stubborn and have a mind of his own. He will suddently stop dead on his tracks and will not go the way I want him to. He will wiggle out of his leash (he's guite strong) and continue on his own ignoring me completely. He will be very focused and determined and will be on a trail-hunt, sniffing excitedly. (He's a hound breed.) He will then find his own way home in about 30 mins to 1 hours time.

He only started this behavior about 2 weeks ago. Is this normal behavior, or is the season for female dogs to be in heat, and that's why he's so excited? Would it help if I have him 'snip-snipped' ?

PSY
K9 Kaki

Mar 25, 2005, 5:21 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [in] Stubborn during walks & toys for an old dog. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

The problem you are facing may not the season or heat thing. Why don't you use a choke collar so he will not run off and then when he refuse to walk, move in front of him and go down on your knees and call him to come to you, use a little treat/food to coax him and when he finish his long distant ( the length of the leash) really phrase him anf treat him to tit-bits. do that a few times and see. The method I would use is electronic - collar, much easier but you can't get those in Malaysia. Try it and see, do let me know if it works. Cheerio for now.

Toy
K9 Maniac

May 28, 2005, 8:56 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1334 views)
Shortcut

you might 1 2 stop whenever your dog pull the leash til he settle down. once he settle down, you only start walking, but once he pull, you stop again. after a period of time, your dog will realise once he pull will stop, but if he follows you, will go. hope this will help you a bit.

lapdog
Novice

Aug 17, 2005, 4:22 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1232 views)
Shortcut

I would recommend a prong collar. They look horrible, b ut are very gentle. When he pulls or stops, give a quick snap to the collar and give a command. Praise him IMMEDIATELY when he obeys.

Every time you let him have his way, it proves to him that he is in charge. You must NEVER let him have his way.

Make him learn to sit and stay. Do this several times a day/every day. Do not pet him, feed him or play with him until he sits for you first. Keep him off furniture. He needs to be lower than you at all times.

This will remind him who is in charge.

It is very important that you do these things, or else soon, he will be growling at you and trying to correct YOU!

tjx
Novice

Oct 12, 2005, 1:34 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Stubborn during walks & toys for an old dog. [In reply to] Can't Post

hi all,
i try ur way alot of time he dun evern want a treat until when he c the collar he run away from it

is there any other way

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 12, 2005, 4:27 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tjx] Stubborn during walks & toys for an old dog. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Whenever he challenges you, you get to do something else, eg, if it does not for whatever reason decides to go another direction, you stop and command it to do something else like "sit then down" several times then drag it home, release him and ignore it. Your actions will confuse him but he will also realise he has just lost a confrontation with you.

Now, stopping and then going another direction, may mean he is afraid to go that way so you may like to go another way or his way and see what is going on.

As for prong collar, I do not thing it is advisable as you must understand you need not have to yank it, all the dog has to do is charge off and it will hurt itself. If you have to go that way, I would suggest a Remote-Collar. Let me put it another way, I do not mind wearing a remote-collar around my neck but I am definitely not putting a prong collar on. A Remote-Collar is different from a Shock- Collar.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my