First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

shockmesane
Dog Kichi

Mar 28, 2004, 9:35 PM

Post #26 of 32 (8815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [de_jun] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

hi dejun,

among the first few initial signs/symptoms to look for includes paws hardening, lost of appetite, biphasic fever (sometimes got, sometimes normal), vomiting and nose discharge. if all of these symptoms appears, it's a good chance that it's distemper. however, it could be a case of kennel cough, but should the doctor be experienced enough to rule out others, it's more or less confirmed.

some would say it may not be (or rather hoped not), and start with all the antibiotics for the sign/symptoms. if the drugs don't work, i would say it is. search for information in the net for additional knowledge. it's vastly available.

there's no known treatment, or should most vets would say, and therefore only supportive treatments are given. however, there's always alternatives to handle them. if you are interested in the alternatives, it'll be my pleasure to share with you.
Jack

de_jun
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2004, 1:14 AM

Post #27 of 32 (8806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks doodle....

will bring my little baby for check up...just wanna make sure she is in good health

Wanna to be a member of Poodles' Friendly Gang? Pls click here !
Poodles' Friendly Gang List
Daisy and PhoebeSmile

ladee_m
Doggyman

May 30, 2004, 4:31 AM

Post #28 of 32 (8318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [de_jun] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Smile

Signs of Distemper...
  • Discharge from eyes and nose... thick greenish and yellowish
  • Paws become very rough and hard... hardpad...
  • No appitite... very weak...
  • Fever...
  • Dry coughing...
  • in severe cases are fits during sleeps...
  • Vomiting and diarrhea

Its a very disheartining picture and very painful...

If your pup or dog has been vaccinatied properly, then it will not get infected... each booster jab can last about 2 years in a particualr dog...

Distemper can be infected thru fecees, urine, droplets of cough and discharge of an infected dog... in other words thru body fluids or secretions...it is also an air-bond disease...

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

vkin
Novice

Feb 4, 2005, 11:24 PM

Post #29 of 32 (7616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we shouldn't blame anyone even though if we bring home a sick puppy. At least during his sick days we can care for him, rather than being dumped in the cage at the petshop or animal pound, with a possibility of spreading the disease to other animals, and worse still, the vets in the shop giving up hope immediately and putting them to sleep. The least we can do is we can try to find cure for them and take good care of them and let them have great days with you and your family in a nice home :)

Lil Joey was sick since the day I brought her home from SPCA - but I'm sure our whole family and she felt that love was in the air - even if it was only for 2 months.

-vkin-

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 4, 2005, 11:40 PM

Post #30 of 32 (7609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vkin] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

hi vkin,

hello there. i do agree with your view point but i still find it really heartless for petshop owners to sell sick puppies. what's more sickening is that they know the puppies are sick and yet they are not doing anything bout it. they should in their scope of responsiblity is to disinfect the whole premises before bringing in new puppies and sick puppies should be treated immediately.

read it in another thread, i'm sorry bout Joey. i'm sure she felt the love you and your family gave.

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 13, 2005, 6:55 PM

Post #31 of 32 (7303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

somtimes some petshops to be more customer friendly they allow the customers to touch the dog, & customers will bring in all types of disease, i think the petshops dont have the intention to sell sick dogs..

abt disinfect the whole premise, as they need earnings for living, i dont think they can do that as in order to really get rid of this problem, it is not juz matter of days, it will be months or even years the virus might still be there.

this is wat i think wat the problems petshops owners facing, but i agree they should do as wat u had stated. but how many willing to do that?

Regards,

Yang

Giftbearer
New User

Jan 9, 2009, 7:49 PM

Post #32 of 32 (5616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

My dog Carmella is the first surviving cured dog from Distemper in the US. There are two in Thailand. All three had a very rare treatment developed by a vet who used to practice in California, Alson Sears, DVM. It involves the off-label use of Newcastle Disease virus vaccine. He has also invented a dog-based serum. Both work but the NDV is made from chickens and usually marketed to farmers. You can get it from many hatcheries and supply places.

If you'd like more information contact Dr. Sears by e-mail at AntiDistemper@aol.com

He's currently retired but is still willing to give people advice on how to bring this information to your local vet and have him make use of it.

You can read more about my dog, Carmella on my blog here;

artlifenewsblog.blogspot.com

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my