Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
dog keeps jumping all over everyone

Wozzza
Novice

Mar 11, 2005, 11:46 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1194 views)
Shortcut
dog keeps jumping all over everyone Can't Post

when ever anyone goes outside our male west white highland terrier 5 months old starts jumping all over them and takes about 10-15 minutes to stop doing it. it does it every time, it gets annoying cause you cant do anything much as you have this dog trying to jump on you all the time. i dont think its humping or what ever it is, it tries to lick my hands and just get to my face or something. also when you go inside it tries to follow you inside, you have to just about kick the dog away from the door before you can close it.

how do i go about stopping this behaviour??

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 13, 2005, 6:32 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wozzza] dog keeps jumping all over everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

this behaviour might stop when ur dog dont like u anymore. they feel so excited to see u & trying to approach u, hope u will pat them. they wants to follow u inside the house, u r the owner mah.

when i go back there will be abt 20+ dogs & pups jumping all over me & my gf. haha, this 1 cant pat every of them, so have to faster escape & go into the house.

Chen Yang

Regards,

Yang

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Mar 14, 2005, 5:55 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1172 views)
Shortcut

hi,

u have a dog that is very happy to see u or other ppl but yes it can be annoying at times. does ur dog know basic command ie sit, stay? if so. when he is going to jump, make him sit and pat him. i have a feeling when he was a pup and he jumps on u, u guys pat him and now he thinks its ok to jump.

other ppl outside the house are distractions. i suggest when u see ppl and u know he is going ho jump, make him sit. he can't jump & sit at the same time but if he ignores ur command, make him sit and praise him. he should learn that "sit" means butt on the floor till i tell u it's ok to move. it may help to also treat him to do the command if he is food orientated.

good luck!

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 14, 2005, 8:09 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1166 views)
Shortcut

dogs get excited after not meeting their owners for a few hours..and those few hours may almost seem like a lifetime for them. so its only natural that they jump all over you.

colby our westie boy did the same too. we put a stop to it by:

(1) getting the sit and stay command in place. basically when you return, kiddo has to sit and stay till you give the release command. this includes giving yourself some time to take off your stockings etc...(btw, practice the sit and stay command regulalrly...its a very handy trick to know for westies who are can dash off suddenly when they sense something exciting...westies were bred for hunting. so what you don't see or hear...they do so very clearly)

(2) reward with food when you give the release command.

(3) we skipped the above (2) coz when we return the first thing we do is go walkies. so in our case we give the release command and follow by "fetch your leash"....

westies are very intellginet...after a few sessions of the above he'll learn that his jumping behavious is not approved and being very keen to impress and please you, he'll learn the positive behaviour that you want. but pls do ensure that if you don;t allow jumping when you return from work...the no jumping rule shd apply across the board.

Wozzza
Novice

Mar 15, 2005, 11:56 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] dog keeps jumping all over everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, i will give that a go. been meaning to do the sit and stay training for ages.

and yeah he is good at hunting things, he has bought so much garbage to the back door that i never knew existed in theback yard, i dunno where he finds it all.

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 16, 2005, 3:21 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1139 views)
Shortcut

haha...garbage? no kidding?

anyhow have fun with the sitting..keep us all posted!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my