First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Mar 9, 2005, 8:54 PM

Post #26 of 163 (2670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AriSa] Anyone have Westie? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Can they eat real chicken meat (Steamed?) I let him drinks milk once a while..milk seems to be his Favourite!! Can dogs like westies hav human food?? I know they can't have chocolates, garlics, & onions.

Westies can eat garlic and onions - there is no problem with that. Garlic is very good for them and all other dogs. Right about the chocolate though - it's poisonous for them.

I feed my dogs (poodles and westies) chicken meat - boiled with carrots, garlic and ginger, vegetables (broccoli, carrots, cabbage, taugeh, long beans, french beans and whatever other veg there is in the fridge), fruit (oranges, bananas, mango and whatever other fruit in the fridge) and plain yoghurt along with their dry biscuits everyday. They love it.

If your Westie has skin problems, add a teaspoon of olive oil and garlic into his/ her food. It doesn't have to be everyday - initially everyday for a week then every other day or even just two or three times a week later on when it improves. If you can, leave your Westie in an airconed room as much as possible. The humid air can also aggrevate their skin.

Pls give your Westie a big hug and kiss from me.

Thanks.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

AriSa
Novice

Mar 9, 2005, 11:00 PM

Post #27 of 163 (2660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ERN] Anyone have Westie? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Ern, Yupz... that guy imported all 4 of them..I only bought him home in January...Actually alredy found him & his lil brother in Dec. last year, BUt it took me a month to consider it...thought he's sold after a month...But i was lucky enough that he's still around when my friend told me... Where did you get Yuan Yuan as Westies are quite rare in M'sia...

jt at Tmn pendidikan? are dogs allowed ? mind asking where izzit? Perhaps I can bring him there if possible. . . Smile

AriSa
Novice

Mar 9, 2005, 11:25 PM

Post #28 of 163 (2657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] Anyone have Westie? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great advice Gus-gus !! At last my lil baby don't have to stare at us,showing his pitty face when we r having our meals & tit-bits..

So, I guess those foood like chicken & vege must only be steamed fer him to eat rite?

It's really really true that they r prone to skin prob ! A tsp of olive oil & garlic? into his dry food?? u did that b4?? u mean crushed garlic?

As Westie has wonderful hunting instinct, Can see it clearly whenever I bring him to a park. However,my lil baby loves to chew as well....!esp on cloths & shoes..Already teach him many times not to do so, but his playful yet stubborn behaviour just won't buy it..Any advices on it??? Pls PLs help !!

So u own a Westie as well? wat's ur furkid's name? How old izzit? WOuld really love to share more on bringing up a westie...Wink

ERN
K9 Maniac

Mar 10, 2005, 12:37 AM

Post #29 of 163 (2647 views)
Shortcut

AriSa

Er...you said Recca with his brother? I thought he was with his sister until december 2004, when the sister was also sold? and left him alone suffer in the petshop?

I got Yuan Yuan from a breeder who decided change breed, that is what we were told.

Taman pendidikan is at Gasing, A group of puppy.com member will meet alomost every saturday morning there. you can get the informatino about the JT from the Event calendar thread. I have not joined them yet, but will if there is any on 19 March. There will be one this sat 12 March.

Recca is having the same behavior like Bebe. She like to chew on the door stoper, cloth and especially my stoking. She will look for my stocking and other cloth if there is none, from my laundry basket, drag it out one by one and throw it over the place. A thing that we are angry but with laugh. In fact Bebe always disturd her brothers before i took her home.

Frown

View my photo album

last update, ZEUS & Shiki's 2nd off springs, 16/09/2008. Yes 9.16!

http://s56.photobucket.com/...%20Zeus%20N%20Shiki/

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g192/ERN2/Dogs

AriSa
Novice

Mar 10, 2005, 2:02 AM

Post #30 of 163 (2636 views)
Shortcut

hhmnn...dat's weird ! coz That's what I was told by the staff there..2 males left. Ohh...nvm bout that...We love them anyway !

Perhaps we could meet up another day after 19th, just let me know when r u going next time ya ? Shocked

Recca loves socks too...whenever he finds a socks, he'll happily chewing it & proudly marching to a corner where he thinks is "safe"...hahaha...Besides, he also has a habbit of licking ! always like to lick here & there !

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Mar 10, 2005, 2:58 AM

Post #31 of 163 (2635 views)
Shortcut

Steamed or microwaved or boiled. The garlic can be raw or cooked. Get some garlic, crush or chop it up and pour some vegetable oil over it. You can keep this in the fridge and use it whenever you want some garlic for your dog. Either mix it into the dry biscuits or put into the vegetables and chicken when you're cooking. My dogs all have garlic and vegetable oil in their food - it's good against ticks too.

Skin irritation is a problem for Westies but there are some basic ways to help your dog. It is largely the humidity that is the most aggrevating so try and keep him cool. Leave him in an aircon room or with a fan on to keep the air circulating.

After your Westie has a bath - always with water slightly hotter than what you use yourself because a dog's body temp is higher than a human's - dry the hair throughly with a hair dryer. Any moisture left in the undercoat is damp and contributes to the humidity problem. The brushing and warm hair dryer air also stimulates the hair oils that will soothe the skin. I use baby shampoo on my Westies - it's recommended by Westie breeders. If there is a skin irritation then use a good coal tar shampoo. Coal tar shampoo will soothe the skin and provide relief from any itching and discomfort. Alternate the shampoos every bath.

Brush your dog throughly at least 3 times a week. Are you aware that your Westie's hair should be hand stripped? Westies don't shed their old hair - some will come out during brushing but brushing alone is not effective. The old hair will block the hair follicle preventing the new hairs from growing out from the follicle so the new hairs will push their way through the skin around the follicle. This is the cause of inflammation and irritation. Either find a professional breeder who hand strips (wait for your dog and watch while it is being done to learn the technique so that you can do your own basic maintainence at home) or look up on the Internet for info on how to hand strip your dog.

Your Westie is chewing things because it is teething. You need to go to the pet shop and get some chewies for your Westie. They are also good trainning tools when you teach your Westie to sit and stay. There are lots of varieties of chews available - get a few and find out what your Westie likes. A cheap and effective toy for all Westies is a tugga-tugga. Get an old (clean) pair of ladies' stockings or leggings. Tie knots along the length of the legs and wave it in front of your Westie and watch it go WILD. Play tugging and fetching games - a tugga-tugga will keep your Westie entertained for years!!!

I have had several Westies over the years. My present Westie is almost 6 months old.

Hope my info helps.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 10, 2005, 5:52 AM

Post #32 of 163 (2634 views)
Shortcut

haha...cute but bossy. and yeah they love the idea that they are the alpha...but be careful. make sure you are the alpha at all times.

beef...somehow does nto work with many sensitive skin. lamb and rice is a good idea..but do keep a keen eye on her. and of free...try homecooked too. of..westies need lots of exercise...otherwise they will ballon...anything more than 8.5kg is really not encuraged generally.

fruits is something they go for slowly...some do some don't. our shih tzu likes choy sum...but westie boy hates it big time. only likes his strawberries and brocolli.

AriSa
Novice

Mar 10, 2005, 6:31 PM

Post #33 of 163 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gus-Gus ! UR precious info definitely help ! TQ sooo much !!Looks like u r a big fan of westie ! Wink

I'm aware dat Westie's hair should be hand stripped, he's did it once b4 I brought him home....& D pet shop ppl ask me to bring him to strip his hair fer a another time, probably this weekend.. How many times should a westie's hair be hand-stripped?

Where u located Gus-gus? KL?? wat's ur current westie's name??Perhaps we can chat more in MSN or e-mail to share more handy tips with u...TQ !!

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Mar 10, 2005, 7:26 PM

Post #34 of 163 (2619 views)
Shortcut

Hand stripping has to be done every time the coat needs it. There is no set number of times in a year or even in a dog's life. Watch when the groomer does it so that you can do it yourself at home. You may still need to send the dog to the groomer occasionally but at least you can do simple maintainence yourself.

I'm in PJ.

ERN
K9 Maniac

Mar 10, 2005, 10:45 PM

Post #35 of 163 (2608 views)
Shortcut

Gus Gus

Do you mean strip until bald? or just those unhealthy one?

I have seen westie was strip until bald at his back [back only] the owner said these will made the new hair grow nicely. What is your comment?

Frown

View my photo album

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Mar 10, 2005, 11:33 PM

Post #36 of 163 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Not bald!!! When the hair is stripped only the old hairs which are ready to be removed will come out. Pulling at the newer hairs will be uncomfortable for the dog so that should give you an idea how much to strip.

The hair along the back is what is usually hand stripped, pulled in the direction of growth. The ear hair is trimmed to show off the pricked up shape, the hair along the back of the neck and shoulders is reduced with thinning scissors so that they show off the lines of the shoulders and neck. The tail hair is thinned and also trimmed with thinning scissors to shape the tail into a fat carrot shape. Paw hair is trimmed around the shape of the paws and trimmed at the pads. The head hair is shaped like a dinner plate to create the roundness characteristic of Westies. Hair along the legs is trimmed to show off the lines of the legs. Bum hair is also trimmed to prevent poo from sticking to it.

Never shave your Westie bald. Westies and all light haired dogs are prone to skin cancer if they don't have their hair to protect them from the sun's rays.

Stripping off the old hair is exactly what makes the new hair grow nicely so that the dog has a good coat. That is why it is important to hand strip the dog and not to cut or shave the hair.

AriSa
Novice

Mar 18, 2005, 6:38 PM

Post #37 of 163 (2575 views)
Shortcut

Dear Gus-Gus,

Just wanna ask where do u send ur westie fer hand-strippin of its hair??

I've tried asking the one in Pet Safari, but they dun quite wanna do it coz they dun normally do hand-stripped fer dogs. THen the pet shop where i bought my baby is chargin RM350 fer it...& will do it fer 2 weeks..

Hope u have a great weekend !

ERN
K9 Maniac

Mar 18, 2005, 10:07 PM

Post #38 of 163 (2571 views)
Shortcut

AriSa

Bebe also stripped already.

Around that price in Penang, it took 2 days.

Frown

View my photo album

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Mar 19, 2005, 12:52 AM

Post #39 of 163 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Hi. I strip my Westies myself. It certainly doesn't take 2 days and should not cost as much as RM350!!

ERN
K9 Maniac

Mar 24, 2005, 2:29 AM

Post #40 of 163 (2512 views)
Shortcut

Gus Gus

After the JT, Yuan Yuan came back with lots of ticks, What is your recommendation? I use the normal ticks shampoo, but the ticks are still there.

I tested the shampoo. I catch some ticks and apply the shampoo on it, they died.

Did your westie bring back any?

tq

Frown

View my photo album

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Mar 24, 2005, 7:08 AM

Post #41 of 163 (2507 views)
Shortcut

My Westie has a few ticks everyday. He didn't come back with any more than he would have ordinarily.

When you apply the tick shampoo, leave it on Yuan Yuan for a few minutes before rinsing it off - around 10 mins if you can get her to stand around for that long.

Add some eucalyptus oil to the final rinse water as well as this has anti-tick/ flea properties.

Make up a solution of 5 ml of eucalptus oil in 1/2 a litre of water. Next time you go trekking, give Yuan Yuan a spray all over with the eucalyptus solution before setting off.

Personally, I am not in favour of tick shampoos. Ticks can develop resistance to tick shampoo. Also, your dog will ingest it when she licks her fur. If you can, kill the ticks by picking them off Yuan Yuan everyday rather than relying on the tick shampoo and give her a brush through with the eucalyptus solution. Spray some on her bedding or when you wash her bedding, add some eucalyptus oil to the final rinse water.

Hope this helps.

ERN
K9 Maniac

Mar 24, 2005, 8:28 PM

Post #42 of 163 (2501 views)
Shortcut

O.k. thank you and will try.

But need to look for the eucalyptus oil, I can find it from pet shop right?

Frown

View my photo album

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Mar 24, 2005, 9:53 PM

Post #43 of 163 (2498 views)
Shortcut

Try Guardian Pharmacy. The brand is Parrot or something like that. It is the type used for stuffy noses. Look around the shelves where Guardian places the things like bandages, gauze, eye drops, contact lens cleaners, etc. It's not expensive.

Alternatively, you can also use Eucalyptus Essential Oil

AriSa
Novice

Mar 28, 2005, 10:17 PM

Post #44 of 163 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Poor Yuan Yuan...Hope she can be free frm ticks very soon !! So did u & yuan Yuan enjoyed jt? was it very tiring??

HAve u taken the birth cert fer Bebe frm D pet Shop ? Wanna ask did ur relative mail back to the person in Aussie? Bebe, d Chili padi?? huh? what it means? Small ?

Wanna ask is Bebe's hair curly ? Wonder whether is their gene problem..my baby's hair is soo curly now ! like furball!!

DO u hav MSN messenger?? perhaps can chat more with u in there...u can add me @ tomato4u@hotmail.com.... same to GUs GUs too ! hope to see ya soon in MSN ! Wink

ERN
K9 Maniac

Mar 29, 2005, 1:11 AM

Post #45 of 163 (2450 views)
Shortcut

AriSa

Ya we enjoyed the trek. Will be joining again the following week.

I actually dont sweet much that day. The leader led us to the shortest trek. It is good for both of you too. But prepare to get wet, ther is small stream which we wil go through it. Not deep, not even 1 feet.

Yes, I already collected Bebe's cert. I will let my relative sign and fill up the rest during my trip back. I tot we can send to MKA to convert to MKA cert? why need to send it back to Aus?

Bebe is really the chilipadi lor, she is so small as compare to Yuan Yuan, and the smallest in my relative place, but she is the "Tai Ka Chair", she chases all the big dogs there. She even bit Moa Mao's ear when she first meet her. Mao Mao is Yuan Yuan sister. She have lots of funny characters, I like to see when she got excited [like got to play with ball], she will tourch the ball and run circle my inside my house, and back. The way she run is very entertaining.

Bebe hair also a lit curly but not until like a furball la. Her registered name is Cutie Pie which is what she is.

Will go back and take photo to like you see. o.k.?

I do not have MSN messenger yet. Will try get one and tell you later.

Frown

View my photo album

AriSa
Novice

Mar 29, 2005, 2:33 AM

Post #46 of 163 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Cutie Pie ?!!! Wat a Cute name Bebe has !! Not as like mine "Robbie" Unimpressed

HOpefully can meet up D following week if i'm not working..& can get up sooo early...Wink

" I tot we can send to MKA to convert to MKA cert? why need to send it back to Aus? " - That's y...If send to that person, then we dun hav d cert with us dee lorhh ??

Wanna ask did Bebe got hand-stripped b4 u all bought her???

my Baby is like his sis too....always like to bully others...he even bullied my friend's Cocker Spaniel which is bigger size than him ! chase him all round D hse, & wanna bite her ears !!

Pics !!Yes yes !! do send More Pics please !!! eheheh.....!!! Just as sooon as u're in ya !!

Btw, I read frm a westies breeder, she suggest to let them eat Brewer's garlic + sth sth pill (fer pets of coz), that should help with Yuan Yuan's condition, If can't find, then try let her hav some garlic, My baby was munching it the other day..he likes to play around it also...

ERN
K9 Maniac

Mar 29, 2005, 10:54 PM

Post #47 of 163 (2431 views)
Shortcut

So what you call your Baby now?

It seems that your Baby and Bebe have the same target, the ear! When they are together, all the sibling are bullied by Bebe actually, I saw it. Maybe that is why your baby is trying to give it back to others for what he got from Bebe, Haha.....Tongue

Bebe was hand-stripped end february, the owner did it in Penang.

Garlic, have not try yet. Yuan Yuan is now very fassy about the food. Without mixing the dry food with Sesar, she wont eat!

Frown

View my photo album

AriSa
Novice

Mar 30, 2005, 9:34 PM

Post #48 of 163 (2408 views)
Shortcut

call him recca still..that's wat he's used too dee..Anyway,Robbie?? Dun think so.....

Is ur relative gonna sign & than send the cert back to aussie ? by any chance, would u know wat will hapen next ??? I've no clue at all...

ERN
K9 Maniac

Mar 30, 2005, 11:55 PM

Post #49 of 163 (2400 views)
Shortcut

About the cert, I will go MKA and try after back from hometown, maybe 9/4/2005. Will let you know the result for sure.

What other dogs you keep besides westie? I will get another westie as Yuan Yuan playmate.

Frown

View my photo album

AriSa
Novice

Mar 31, 2005, 1:23 AM

Post #50 of 163 (2382 views)
Shortcut

Thanks !!!

nopes..Dun hav other dogs...But guess we've got the same thinkin' , I wanna get another one too.....poor him....!!! but not soo soon....coz westies here are EXpensive !!!! pls pls tell me if u got any source? willya ?? pls pls.....Wink D last time I asked earlier this month was around 3K !

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my