Home: General: Chit Chat:
Terrific Article ...

leopui
K9 Maniac

Mar 9, 2002, 8:15 AM

Post #1 of 8 (2185 views)
Shortcut
Terrific Article ... Can't Post

I call it Terrific Article, it is copied directly from a mailing list I am with!!! Shirl, wrote this article to provide some great insights to puppy buyers. A friend of hers, who is a professional trainer, provided this article to a client. This lady was looking for a ... long haired chihuahua! She visited two breeders and became suspicious with the second one - they would not show her the parents, where the pups were kept, would only bring one pup out at the time, etc. She left and called the animal warden in the area and used the right keywords - animals in immediate danger, puppy mill, critical need, etc. The end of this story - the puppy miller was led out in hand cuffs and all of those dogs were rescued! Kudos to all involved.

Enjoys & Learns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ABOUT DOG BREEDER SCREENING!!!

You've finally decided to get a pup. Whether for the first time, or the tenth, the process of finding just the right dog to fit into your family has begun. Few things are more exciting than looking for a puppy. Whether selecting a Chihuahua or a Saint Bernard, the buyer must be able to ascertain if a breeder is responsible and honest. After all, when you are making a lifetime commitment, you deserve to know as much as possible about the pup's genetic health and temperament. A knowledgeable, ethical breeder is your best resource.

Which Breed?
Begin by researching breeds. You may do this by taking an interactive test on a number of the web sites designed to help you narrow the field. Once you've found a breed (or two) that is compatible and visually appealing, check it out.

Whether on the Internet or Animal Planet, through the AKC or a registry specific to the breed you may have selected, learn as much as possible about your choice – both the physiology and the temperament. Many breed associations and clubs will provide an information packet or video to prospective buyers for a nominal fee. Take advantage of this service.

Become familiar with the breed standard. Learn which canine diseases are most common and what tests are available for screening. Set aside time to research breed history, working ability, temperament, exercise requirements, genetic health issues and expenses you should expect for routine maintenance. Visit conformation shows, obedience classes and working dog field trials or matches to see your "breed de jour" in action.

Working with K9 rescues and private shelters, I've heard owners give these reasons for turning in an older pup. All of these complaints are nothing more than characteristics of the breed:

§ Do Irish Wolfhounds always get this BIG?

§ Do Neapolitan Mastiffs have to drool?

§ I thought a German Shepherd Dog would only eat 1 or 2 cups of food a day.

§ If Poodles don't shed, why do they need to be clipped?

§ This Border Collie isn't the laid back dog I wanted.

It is sad that these people did not do their homework before purchasing a pup. It is appalling their breeders did not confirm that the buyers understood the basic responsibilities for owning the breed.

Level the playing field. Know your breed's strengths and weaknesses. Be able to intelligently discuss them. Only then can you begin speaking with breeders about an upcoming litter or a particular pup from their lines. Knowledge is power when it comes to finding the right pup. Study hard before making an investment in your next canine companion.

Puppy Mills and Pet Shops
When in comes to puppy mills and pet shops – Just Say No. A puppy mill is an operation run by an unethical individual where breeding dogs is motivated by money. Very often a broker buys pups from a puppy mill and transports them into another state for cash sales. Puppy mills supply pet shops.

Many times people feel so sorry for the pups that they buy them in order to save them. A word of advice – Don't. This only supports animal abuse by putting more money into the operation. Instead, report the breeder to the local Animal Control or Animal Welfare Agency or Humane Society. To shut down a puppy mill – speak up.

Backyard Breeders

Backyard breeders are more than a place – they are a state of mind. Perhaps it is more accurate to say they exist in a state of mindlessness. Many inexperienced people have a litter of puppies for fun and/or profit. They have no idea of the genetic health history of their breeding stock and little idea about how to raise quality puppies. They are uneducated about the early phases of socialization and unable to spot temperament variations that may be evident while the pups are still in the whelping box.

Whether you find them via a newspaper ad or a color picture in a glossy magazine - beware! In fact, some will have "papers" and their pups will be properly registered. However, when you begin careful questioning, you'll discover specific knowledge is slim to none, as are their goals for improving the breed.

Adoptions

Pups from ethical, reputable breeders are expensive. It costs a great deal in time, energy and money to raise genetically healthy dogs that have well balanced drives and intelligence. You are making an investment that lasts for the lifetime of the animal. Quality pups are never cheap.

If you cannot afford to purchase a pup from a reputable breeding program, please adopt a dog or pup from the Humane Society, ASPCA, breed rescue or local no-kill shelter. Then, take it to your veterinarian as soon as possible – the same day is best. Before signing the adoption forms, make certain you can return the animal, should your vet uncover a genetic defect or poor health. If the animal exhibits signs of aggression or fear, you must quickly have an evaluation by a competent trainer or animal behaviorist. A healthy dog with issues may not be the right choice for your family.

Read the Adoption Contract very carefully. If an organization will not allow you to return the dog, do not adopt.

Finding Your Breeder
So, how does the average person looking for a puppy find the right breeder? How can you uncover a backyard breeder? How can you tell if a breeder is honest? And, how can you tell if the breeder is more interested in the welfare of their dogs than in making a sale?

Here are some tips. Questioning A Prospective Breeder

The Dogs
§
How long have you been involved with dogs?

§
How long have you been involved with this particular breed?

§
How long have you been breeding?

§
What should be improved in the breed?

§
How do you plan on doing it?

§
What are the goals for your kennel?

§
To which breed clubs do you belong?

§
In which training organizations/groups/clubs are you a member?

§
How many litters a year do you have?

§
How do you screen for genetic diseases?

§
How do you screen for temperament in your breeding stock?

§
How many brood bitches do you own or co-own? Where are they?

§
How many stud dogs do you own or co-own? Where are they?

§
Where are your litters raised?

§
How often are your breeding dogs vet checked?

§
What do you feed your dogs?

§
Where do you go for information and advice on:

§
Genetics? Temperament? Training? Health?

§
Do any of your dogs have a working title?

§
How many of your dogs have earned a Canine Good Citizen's Certificate?

§
Who are/were your mentors?

§
What other breeders do you respect? Why?

The Business
§
What percentage of your income is derived from dog breeding?

§
What papers come with a pup?

§
May I have a copy of your contract to review at home?

§
May I have a banking reference?

§
May I have contact information for two people who have owned your dogs two or more years?

§
Are you required by law to be licensed or inspected by your State, County or City?

§
Do you voluntarily participate in any type of kennel inspection/certification?

§
Do you belong to the Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce or other local business associations?

§
May I have a business and personal reference?

A Particular Litter or Pup
§
Why did you mate this bitch and stud?

§
What do you want from their pups?

§
Is this the first litter for either?

§
Have they been bred to each other before? If so, how many times?

§
What are prior litters from this pair doing?

§
What are prior litters, individually, for the bitch and the stud doing?

§
Have any health issues surfaced in prior litters using either of these dogs individually or paired?

§
Tell me about those health issues.

§
Have any temperament issues surfaced in any prior litters from these parents?

§
Tell me about those temperament issues.

§
For what genetic diseases were these parents screened? Get a copy of results.

§
May I see the growth charts for ALL the pups in this litter?

§
How do you track each pup's identity?
Breeders often place pups with other bitches for feeding or fostering. Breeders can easily become confused if pups are not properly tagged. Therefore, a foolproof method of identifying each pup must be in place when there is more than one litter on the ground.

§
When will you temperament test? Or, if it has been done, ask to see results on EACH PUP IN THE LITTER, not just the one you are considering.

§
May I see vet records on the parents? Grandparents?

§
What obedience titles have the grandparents or parents earned?

§
Where has this litter been raised? (barn, kennel, inside the home, etc.)

§
Tell me about your early puppy socialization program.

§
When were these pups vet checked and how is the litters' general health?

§
Explain your immunization program and what shots they have before placement.

An ethical breeder will ask you many, many questions. This is done in order to match each pup with its ideal, lifetime home. Answer their inquiries honestly. All pups are cute, but some may end up being just too much dog for an inexperienced handler.

Red Flags
§
Multiple breeds are on site.

§
Breeding is the only source of income for the family.

§
Breeder cannot show you evidence of genetic health testing.

§
No written contract.

§
No health guarantee.

§
Puppies are released before 8 weeks of age.

§
Puppies have not been wormed or given vaccinations prior to placement.

§
Breeder cannot show you records on vet exam(s) for litter/pup.

§
Web site, print ads do not list specific location.

§
Kennel name is used on advertising but no individual is named.

§
You are "discouraged" from visiting the kennel.

§
They insist upon delivering the pup to you - - for your convenience.*

§
Facility is not clean or animals are not well groomed.

§
Pups are not "tagged" or "marked."

* Some very ethical breeders will ask you to visit their facility, first. If you decide to purchase a pup, they will insist upon delivering it directly to your home. This allows them to inspect your environment and insure you are prepared. Bravo!

Let Me Check You Out
In addition to asking questions, here are my suggestions for checking out a breeder:

§
If possible, visit the kennel in person. If distance is a factor, ask a friend or family member to visit and to make a video for you. You may also retain a licensed private investigator to take photographs and videotape the breeder responding to your list of questions.

§
Call the BBB for the metropolitan area closest to the breeder and ask about the number of complaints filed against the kennel. Also ask if those complaints have been resolved or remain open.

§ Call the Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Fraud or Complaint Division, of the State in which the breeder resides. Ask for the total number of complaints filed against the kennel, if any, and obtain any written information or reports they may have on file from past or active investigations. Matters of public record can be mailed or faxed directly to you for a nominal fee.

§
Call the law enforcement agency closest to your breeder to determine the number of visits, if any, they have made to the premises. A relative used my suggestion and learned that she had actually been referred to a kennel that was in the process of being closed by a local animal welfare agency. Another friend learned that the reason older puppies were being sold so cheaply was that the owner was facing a prison sentence and was liquidating stock prior to serving his term. No matter how nice the pups, the breeder was hasta-la-bye-bye and would be unable to stand behind his contract!

Select Another Breeder WHEN:

1. The breeder does not answer ALL of your questions in a forthright manner..

2. The breeder is inconsistent with information, e.g. on the phone, the breeder says there are 2 females in a litter of 6 pups and when you arrive there are 7 pups in the litter. You didn't misunderstand; something isn't 'kosher.'

3. The breeder doesn't question you about your home environment, family's lifestyle and prior experience with pets, in general, and this breed, in particular.

4. You have a nagging feeling in your gut that something just isn't quite right. Trust your instincts!

If you have doubts about the breeder, don't buy the pup.

What If There's a Problem?
I've always believed that the true measure of a good breeder doesn't come in how they handle the successful placements, but in how they react when things don't go as planned. Will the cream be risin' to the top when trouble's knockin' at the door?

Picture yourself calling the breeder when the pup is 9-months old. What will be their reaction when your vet faxes them a medical report raising genetic issues? Can you be reasonably certain they'll offer you support and the benefit of their many years of experience? If a refund or replacement puppy is appropriate, how easy do you think it will be to collect on the promises made in the contract? These questions can help you think logically when puppy kisses leave you breathless.

In Conclusion
It's amazing. The harder you work and the more you learn, the better your luck will be in finding just the right breeder. A healthy pup, full of vigor, exhibiting stable nerves and intelligence is a joy to train. You'll have an abundance of loving companionship for many years to come. A pup isn't a purchase - - it is an investment. To insure the best possible return on that investment, select an ethical breeder.

My wish for you is a special bond - one of respect, trust and mutual admiration - not only with your dog, but also with your breeder.

LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

(This post was edited by leopui on Mar 9, 2002, 8:27 AM)

adrian
Novice

Mar 9, 2002, 6:39 PM

Post #2 of 8 (2177 views)
Shortcut
Terrific Article ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Morning Leo,

I have been tempted to post many such postings on the various subjects of 'doggie matters' but I see that the problem lies in that many forumers/guests just DO NOT READ the postings.

Just look at the various sections/topics that are available and provided by the generous webmaster. Do you see a trend? The number of hits on the subjects/topics? See what I am getting at? This demonstrates just where the forumers/guests interests lie.

No insult meant but anyone who comes and view all the various posting from month's back will have a pretty good idea what entails to selecting a pup/breed. But we still have people coming in looking for a breed and then in a following post showing they have not even the foggiest idea what the breed is all about? I mean... come on......

We have to come up with a better way to propagate this information to them. Can we expect forumers to read through and learn from all the postings? It will be just another cycle of reinforming again and over again, answering the same old questions.

Any ideas?

Adrian

- Dogs are the Best people -

leopui
K9 Maniac

Mar 9, 2002, 11:17 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adrian] Terrific Article ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool Afternoon Adrian,

In-fact, I came across this type of so-called "lazy" behaviour too Unsure ... that's why I have "throw-out" this issue long time ago under "What's In My Mind ..." at "Chit-Chat" section.

I may be just like you tend to fall into the temptation to make a reply ... or to provide the related link within the forum section ... or just a short note to remind the newbite BUT ...
my time just don't permit me to reply each and every one!!!

Forum section of Puppy Com is definitely open for public ... but I believe there is always some basic guide line to looking into ... since this forum is consider new for Malaysian ... guess we can always pick up along the "growth" and later to implement it, in-order to make this a better place for all us to "meet-up".

On this issue ... I guess, a section moderator will serve great help to traffic the member and to supervise the members' posting ... just my thought. Webmaster, what is your opinion about this since you are the one with POWER to do so Angelic ...

LEO PUI

adrian
Novice

Mar 10, 2002, 1:16 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Terrific Article ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Evening Leo

Your idea for a 'section moderator' is excellent but then there will have to be at least a few to have the time/knowledge to look after those sections.

This matter is up for discussion but it has to be made after careful consideration only. Like you said, the power is in the creator of this portal but there are other considerations too.

Have you noticed a surge in members in the last month? Unfortunately although the numbers of registered members have increased the introduction part is still way back but kudo's to those who made an effort.

Cheers!

Adrian

leopui
K9 Maniac

Mar 10, 2002, 1:51 AM

Post #5 of 8 (2165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adrian] Terrific Article ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I see your point very well ... let just hold on for a while and "waiting" if there is anyone else is contributing their idea and suggestion or just another plain text!!!

At the end of the day, this all fall back to the creator ... "knock", "knock", "knock" Webmaster ... where are you???
LEO PUI

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 10, 2002, 2:37 AM

Post #6 of 8 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Answer. He is busy at The Mines taking photos of Old Dalmatian Kok.
He will post some interesting gambar soon, provided the lens of his camera hasn't cracked yet.
Why do you gentlemen think that I mentioned Hit Parade for? Got nothing better to do eh?
and why do you think I dug up Leopui's first chit chat post for? Exhumation?
I think both of you have already sent a loud and clear message across and around the world. An additional one could possibly -TOO MANY KOOKS Oops! COOKS WILL SPOIL THE SOUP-

leopui
K9 Maniac

Mar 10, 2002, 2:51 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2162 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Terrific Article ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool Cool Cool Welcome back to the forum ... the gambar must be a GREAT one ... with "C-Pe-Cial" effect-kah!??!

Looking forward to read your post again! Mesti-lah angkat-angkat little bit Tongue !!!
LEO PUI

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 10, 2002, 3:09 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2159 views)
Shortcut

Webmaster said, gambar will appear sometime before mid-nite.
So, keep coming back from time to time.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my