Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Can Dogs stay close with Guinea Pigs?

bendi
Novice

Feb 23, 2005, 3:21 AM

Post #1 of 11 (1017 views)
Shortcut
Can Dogs stay close with Guinea Pigs? Can't Post

This is because my rare a few guinea pigs and recently bought a English Cocker Spaniel and the pet owner told me that dogs cannot stay close with guinea pigs as guinea pigs can bring health treating to dogs.

Is this true? Can guinea pigs droppings or guinea pigs bacteria harm my puppy?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Feb 28, 2005, 9:15 PM

Post #2 of 11 (988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bendi] Can Dogs stay close with Guinea Pigs? [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm not sure whether they do transmit disease?

ut as for me a do have rabbits and hamster.. but i'll make sure that my dog will not be in contact or near them because rabbits and hamster are so fragile that they can;'t rough play with my dog.

or if i cage them up near my dog, my dog will keep on barking and jumping up and down to get them, o they have to be separate until not to be seen at all.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Mar 2, 2005, 6:04 AM

Post #3 of 11 (976 views)
Shortcut

Ermm.... that would be NO....

I live in a home with dogs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, mice, hamsters, cat.... and many more animals... count them and can reach up to 35 pets! Anyway.... not a single dog of mie, pure breed and mix breed have ever fallen ill from my other animals... they have gotten a flu from me before that i infected them with but what ever animals I have, it has never give my dogs and other pets health problems. Just make it clear to the puppy that it is not a toy, you should hide your guinea pigs or put them in a place where your puppy can see them but cannot reach.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

bendi
Novice

Mar 2, 2005, 7:28 AM

Post #4 of 11 (972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Can Dogs stay close with Guinea Pigs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie!!!

Thankz for all the information given by you all. I really appreciate it. I ask that question is just simply because the pet shop owner told me that rats droppings with harm the dogs and another this is he told me is better dun let your dog near other pets because pets like guinea pigs urine contains virus which can infect our dogs. This is what he told me.Therefore I'm so worried..Hehe

Anyway thanks.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Mar 4, 2005, 4:20 PM

Post #5 of 11 (949 views)
Shortcut

Well, as long as you don't let the dog touch thoes poo and pee, no problem. I have many rodent pets living with me, 6 are living in my room and nothing has come up. Yes, rodents do carry viruses but it is unless the dog eats the pee and poo. That's why it is good if you put the cage in a high place or get one of those special box cages so the pee and poo will stay in the cage.... this is just a precaution lah. Coz so far, all my animals live together and we have never had any dog o other animal die by gettiung infected from another animal. I can say 70% of my pets live inside with me and my dogs....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

bendi
Novice

Mar 4, 2005, 4:37 PM

Post #6 of 11 (945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Can Dogs stay close with Guinea Pigs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie,

Well thanks!!! Glad to hear that. Just worried ..

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 6, 2005, 11:16 PM

Post #7 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Tongueim kinda more interested abt ur guinea pigs as im guinea pig lover too.. what type of gpg u having? how many? they will breed very fast ooShocked

Regards,

Yang

bendi
Novice

Mar 28, 2005, 5:19 PM

Post #8 of 11 (895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Can Dogs stay close with Guinea Pigs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie leecy.

Sorry 4 such late replies, well i used to have 6 guinea pigs but well some do pass away maybe because i'm still new about their information. Well now i got two while one is already pregnant. Abt the breed i'm not so sure to tell you because most of them i get it from pet shop n mostly they cross breed them which is cheaper,than pure breeds. If u plan to have guinea pigs there's some rules u have to follow..cause i got one guinea pigs which pass away because of hard labor. So becareful!! Do u use msn messanger? why not u give me ur e-mail address then i show u the picture.

Sydney
Doggyman

Mar 28, 2005, 9:27 PM

Post #9 of 11 (878 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

If the hamster is kept clean, and if the dog is clean and wont bite the hamster, then i think is ok 2 let them sleept 2getherSmile.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

bendi
Novice

Mar 29, 2005, 6:57 AM

Post #10 of 11 (869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Can Dogs stay close with Guinea Pigs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie Sydney,

Thanks 4 your reply. If it's cleanliness i not a matter to worry abt. What i'm worry about is that hamster, guinea pigs are all under rodents family. All rodents family also have all those bacteria n virus which dogs cannot tolerate. Generally rodents carry certain virus n bacteria...so that's what i'm worried abt.

Sydney
Doggyman

Apr 17, 2005, 2:59 AM

Post #11 of 11 (833 views)
Shortcut

If the hamster and gp got diseases or sickness, then dun let the dog stay wif it or else the dog will oso get sick. If healthy and clean it's ok to let them sleep 2gether

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my