Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Is this normal for a puppy? Limping/pulled muscle?

Hallelujah
New User

Mar 13, 2003, 8:56 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1074 views)
Shortcut
Is this normal for a puppy? Limping/pulled muscle? Can't Post

I just got a large puppy two weeks ago. He looks like a lab, but is supposedly part Rotweiler, part Chow. I live by the forest and he loved to go jogging/hiking with me that first week. We only went 1 to 2 miles every other day. Perhaps he has lived in an apartment for the first 5 months of his young life and I overdid it? He started a tiny limp - mainly the right front leg, with nothing visibly wrong. Then I noticed overall stiffness. So I gave him muscle massages and let him rest so his paws could have time to toughen up again. The only exercise he got was wrestling with the neighbor's dog 2 hours a day. Just when he seemed to be better, he had another play date with the neighbors friendly lab and came back limping badly on the right front leg again. Worse than ever. I think it is a pulled muscle. Is this normal for a puppy? Should I be worried about juvenile arthritis or something? He is very mellow, sweet dog, and now lays around more than ever due to pain, I think. Is this the wrong jogging dog for me? Does he have cronic problems, possibly, or should I just be patient?

milooh

Mar 24, 2003, 7:20 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hallelujah] Is this normal for a puppy? Limping/pulled muscle? [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont know how old your puppy is exactly but instead of speculating, I would suggest bringing the puppy to the vet. I would not have the puppy wrestle with big dogs as they would hurt him, not intentionally of course. Also, buy a good book and read up all about taking care of puppies and young dogs. Good luck.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

yazi
Novice

Apr 5, 2003, 11:35 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1030 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hallelujah] Is this normal for a puppy? Limping/pulled muscle? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

bring to vet...hope not something related to HD (hip dyplasia).

yazi
[A Dog is the only thing on earth that luv you more than you luv yourself ;p]

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 7, 2003, 8:19 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1024 views)
Shortcut

I would suggest not to bring the puppy for jogging/ sports activities. No sure about your doggie, but for my golden, Pls don't bring the puppy out for extensive exercise 1-2 years as they still consider puppy although they grown into big size. Their join is not strong, especially for those large breed (Lab/ Rottweiller/ Golden...). Pls let him run in the garden...after he turns into adult.
Take him to vet asap. Hip dyplasia is very common on large breed dog.
Hope he bounces back into action soon~Wink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my