Guessed What. Just Retrievers

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

boon
Doggyman

Mar 5, 2003, 9:40 PM

Post #1 of 52 (3902 views)
Shortcut
Guessed What. Just Retrievers Can't Post

Got this from petplace.com and also available at AKC Gazette.

America loves those labs! For the 13th year in a row, the Labrador retriever is America’s favorite purebred, according to registration numbers tallied by the American Kennel Club.

And, as in past years, the Labrador far outstrips the second-most favorite – the golden retriever. The 2002 list is almost identical to the 2001 list. All the same breeds made the top 10, but four switched positions. The beagle moved into fourth place, switching positions with the dachshund, and the boxer moved into seventh place, taking the poodle’s spot.

“It’s no surprise that the Labrador retriever is number one again” said David Frei, spokesperson for the AKC. “They are wonderful family dogs – smart, loyal, great temperaments – and good at many things including showing, obedience and hunting, and they also often work as service dogs.”

The Top 10 Breeds of 2002 are:

1. Labrador retrievers 154,616
2. Golden retrievers 56,124
3. German shepherds 46,963
4. Beagles 44,610
5. Dachshunds 42,571
6. Yorkshire terriers 37,277
7. Boxers 34,340
8. Poodles 33,917
9. Chihuahuas 28,466
10. Shih Tzus 28,294

The AKC recognizes dogs in seven categories: sporting, hound, working, terrier, toy, non-sporting and herding. The largest breed registration in each group is as follows:

• Sporting – Labrador retriever
  • Hound – beagle
  • Working – boxers
  • Terrier – miniature schnauzer
  • Toy – Yorkshire terrier
  • Non-sporting – poodles
  • Herding – German shepherd

At the other end of the spectrum, the otterhound came in last with just 17 registrations. Four other least-registered breeds are: the harrier, the English foxhound, the Ibizan hound and the Finnish spitz. But the low registration counts doesn’t detract from these breeds qualities, Frei explained.

“It’s important to remember that each of the 150 breeds recognized by the AKC has a distinct personality and characteristics that make them uniquely suited for particular lifestyles and family settings,” he said. “With the incredible diversity of purebred dogs, there is a right dog for everyone.”

The total number of purebred registrations has dropped for the second year in a row. Last year they fell by almost 9 percent. This year, they dropped by 11 percent. Frei said contributing factors may be litter sizes, which have been smaller in recent years, and increased inspections by the AKC to verify applications. Another factor may be longevity. “Dogs are living longer, thanks to better veterinary medicine, food and care,” Frei said.

A complete listing of registration statistics is available in the February 2003 issue of the AKC Gazette.

• Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
    You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

mackmack
    Doggyman

Mar 6, 2003, 12:19 AM

Post #2 of 52 (3888 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [boon] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

Not bad, golden in the 2nd place...Smile

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

wkser
    ALPHA

Mar 6, 2003, 6:36 PM

Post #3 of 52 (3882 views)
    Shortcut

hi boon,

Labrador rules......WinkSmile

regards
    kangser and nous

hunter
    Ultra ALPHA

Mar 7, 2003, 12:58 AM

Post #4 of 52 (3874 views)
    Shortcut

dear all,

wow. lab owners are three times more than the goldens. that's a BIG gap. both breeds have close resemblance in character, temperament and physical appearance.

i wonder why the big gap. wonder is it because of the golden's frequent shedding? or is it that labs are indeed the sweetest angels among all breeds :D ? anyone kept both goldens and labs before? would love to know if there's any difference between the two breeds.

hmm. wonder which is the most favourite purebred in Malaysia? GSDs? labs? Pugs? Goldens?

regards,
    hunter

cdmoo
    ALPHA

Mar 7, 2003, 1:19 AM

Post #5 of 52 (3872 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [hunter] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Hunter,

I think Lab sheds more often than GR Unsure .. Rex , basically sheds everyday! (well..depends on quantity).. U can easily pluck the fur from the Lab..

The favourite purebred in M'sia is Rotti!!

Smile
    regards,

CD Moo

hunter
    Ultra ALPHA

Mar 7, 2003, 1:31 AM

Post #6 of 52 (3871 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [cdmoo] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

gaa? lab sheds more than GR? no way! their fur so short wor... shed or no shed also sap sap sui... my golden shed until one mountain one mountain wan.

oooh. rotti. hard to believe that they stand stronger than other breeds in the top 10 chart. so may i suppose the GSDs are 2nd?

cdmoo
    ALPHA

Mar 7, 2003, 1:35 AM

Post #7 of 52 (3870 views)
    Shortcut

hi Hunter,

Can't remember the 2nd spot though..

The sheding ..well it does not depend on whether it's long or short fur...

As I know, dalmation also sheds a lot... even shorter fur than labby..

Smile
    regards,

CD Moo

hunter
    Ultra ALPHA

Mar 7, 2003, 1:47 AM

Post #8 of 52 (3869 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [cdmoo] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

oh? so long/short fur doesn't actually mean more/less shedding. a new info i've learnt, as everyone tend to assume that doggies with shorter fur are less prone to shed!

luckey
    ALPHA

Mar 7, 2003, 7:45 AM

Post #9 of 52 (3863 views)
    Shortcut

i know someone who got a beagle after owning cockers thinking coz shorter haired dog, should shed less and easier to maintain... but apaprently they shed even more than cockers!

hey, how come no cockers in the top ten list? Crazy

wkser
    ALPHA

Mar 7, 2003, 6:29 PM

Post #10 of 52 (3857 views)
    Shortcut

hi,

labbie shed a lot especially bathing time.......WinkSmile

regards
    kangser and nous

mackmack
    Doggyman

Mar 7, 2003, 6:37 PM

Post #11 of 52 (3856 views)
    Shortcut

I guess it could be due to long-haired dog could hold up their shedded hair on body while short-haired dog has no choice but shed hairs everywhere that WE could really spot itWink

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

boon
    Doggyman

Mar 8, 2003, 5:40 AM

Post #12 of 52 (3849 views)
    Shortcut

Hi All,

Looks like Bonney is the only lab shed very little. SO far, she shed when she was 4 months old and the second time is like CNY. But not much. Donno y leh, how come Nous and Rex shed so much ?

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
    You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

hunter
    Ultra ALPHA

Mar 8, 2003, 7:12 AM

Post #13 of 52 (3847 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [All] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

dear all,

well. so it's concluded that long hair doggies doesn't necessarily shed more than the shorter hair doggies. bahahaha.

maybe the amount of sheding is also infected by the type of food the dog is consuming... perhaps the shampoo he/she is using... just like humans i guess, some people tend to loose lots of hair after bathing - while some don't.

chongmeng_soh

Mar 8, 2003, 10:37 PM

Post #14 of 52 (3840 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [luckey] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ...known that you are showing your cocker on this coming event, wish all the best and hope that can bring up the cocker name into the top ten list.Wink cheer~
    sohchongmeng.spaces.live.com/

luckey
    ALPHA

Mar 9, 2003, 12:31 AM

Post #15 of 52 (3838 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [chongmeng_soh] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

hey thanks! hehe... Tongue

Your dog looks gorgeous... looks like he has a beautiful rich coat... you don't show your dog?

chongmeng_soh

Mar 10, 2003, 9:58 PM

Post #16 of 52 (3828 views)
    Shortcut

no i did't show him coz i dun known how to show dog further more i think my dog is not suitable for showing coz not so beutiful( bone & condition & standarn requirement) but your dog look very beutiful ...Smile what tiltle is he in now?
    sohchongmeng.spaces.live.com/

luckey
    ALPHA

Mar 11, 2003, 3:52 AM

Post #17 of 52 (3819 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [chongmeng_soh] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

aww thanks for your compliment... but i think your dog looks beautiful too, what a rich coat!

now luckey looking a bit weird after the handstripping... hope it comes right by this weekend for the MIPE show!

She is at Puppy level still... only put her in one other show - the malacca one last year where she did the minor puppy category...

makrawl
    Canine Addict

Mar 12, 2003, 11:59 PM

Post #18 of 52 (3805 views)
    Shortcut

yeah?! how come there is no cocker? i'm not going to let this continue... so, cockers' gang, let raise all your banner and strike out!

COCKER! COCKER! COCKER!...............Wink

Mak

luckey
    ALPHA

Mar 13, 2003, 7:22 AM

Post #19 of 52 (3795 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [makrawl] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

YAY!!!! LUCKEY AND I AGREE!!! Tongue

makrawl
    Canine Addict

Mar 14, 2003, 12:41 AM

Post #20 of 52 (3783 views)
    Shortcut

actually ECS also she a lot. sometimes i wonder if i could use their fur to stuff pillow......... (yacks)Crazy

hunter
    Ultra ALPHA

Mar 14, 2003, 9:14 AM

Post #21 of 52 (3776 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [makrawl] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi makrawl,

lol..... i could say most dogs shed a lot. everyone seems to be complaining. but heck, even if they shed tonnes of fur everyday, we still love them!

ps : hey, thought you keep goldens all this while. so you keep cocker spaniels? (the brown doggie in your photo actually looks like a golden :D ).

makrawl
    Canine Addict

Mar 15, 2003, 8:48 AM

Post #22 of 52 (3766 views)
    Shortcut

yeah i keep cockers with me. maybe from the pic, he "hide" his ears well behind the scene and makes himself looks like a golden. Sly

meet my doggies at the photo gallery. goldy (tan) and beauty(black).Angelic

strawhoney
    K9 Maniac

Apr 9, 2003, 9:00 PM

Post #23 of 52 (3726 views)
    Shortcut

actually i did notice this...everyone owns a retriever..esp lab...even here in san francisco...they are everywhere...

They have the look in their face..gentle and kind..Smile
    Meme

odie moves MY world!

boon
    Doggyman

Apr 9, 2003, 9:05 PM

Post #24 of 52 (3724 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [strawhoney] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

KakakakhahahhahahHhehehhehehe

yeap, sure sure....i 'fall' into this breed is becoz there are so gentle and nice looking. When i was in Sunnyvale, my friend used to bring her lab to office, so if i'm free then i will walk the fella out....hahhaha, while working, still can enjoy to walk a dog out.....what a nice atmosphere over there.................

Golden also not bad lah, i'm into golden also. just retrievers

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard

wkser
    ALPHA

Apr 10, 2003, 6:44 PM

Post #25 of 52 (3712 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [strawhoney] Guessed What. Just Retrievers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

really maybe i should pay a visit to san francisco........i fell in love with labbie and golden...they have most gentle look.....WinkSmile

regards
    kangser and nous

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
    For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my