Vaccination and heartgard issue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

thomstan
Canine Addict

Feb 4, 2005, 11:24 PM

Post #1 of 41 (14359 views)
Shortcut
Vaccination and heartgard issue Can't Post

Would appreciate if someone experienced or packed with knowledge can assist me in shedding some lights here.

My pup (age 3 months +) has got his 2nd jab last 2 weeks ago. The vet told me to start on heartgard after a week.

I've been reading from this forum that everyone seems to be recommending 3 jabs then only began with heartgard? I even surf the net and noticed that it should be 3 jabs instead. Any reason why the vet game my pup only 2 jabs?

He has been in the practice for many years. I'm sure he knows what he's doing rite? Or is he doubt-able?

The one you love is the one that should take you higher

(This post was edited by thomstan on Feb 4, 2005, 11:25 PM)

rusty
Novice

Feb 5, 2005, 3:26 AM

Post #2 of 41 (14349 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thomstan] Vaccination and heartgard issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Grab hold of one of the Heartgard plus brochures and it is mentioned there that you can start as early as 6 weeks ! So, in fact 3 months plus is a bit late already.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 5, 2005, 7:09 AM

Post #3 of 41 (14347 views)
Shortcut

Start the heartgard when your pup is 5 month old.

badguy

Feb 15, 2005, 12:13 AM

Post #4 of 41 (14322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Vaccination and heartgard issue [In reply to] Can't Post

y is 5 months old??

cannot start early??

this few day many mosqioto bite my smokey man

i also afraid!!!

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 15, 2005, 3:44 AM

Post #5 of 41 (14317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [badguy] Vaccination and heartgard issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes you can start early.

tracky
Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2005, 10:24 PM

Post #6 of 41 (14255 views)
Shortcut

the pet shop told me tat if apply the heartguard...

we can De-Worm every 6-mths instead of every 3mths..

is tat true? any1 experience?

After applied HeartGuard tablet or De-worm Tablet...can we take bath for puppy?

TQ

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 21, 2005, 10:34 PM

Post #7 of 41 (14254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tracky] Vaccination and heartgard issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Heartgard Tablet can kill some type of worm but not all. You still require to give deworm tablet 3 month once & Heartgard tablet once a month.

You can bath your dog after/before taking heartgard/deworm.Wink

tracky
Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2005, 4:31 PM

Post #8 of 41 (14233 views)
Shortcut

Blush1.oic! for those baby 1-3 vaccination only hav to wait for 5days then only can take bath?

2. how to know puppy get fever?

silvrash
Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2005, 1:42 AM

Post #9 of 41 (14137 views)
Shortcut

Hii,

Wat type of vaccination(brand) did ur pup get?? There a a few types of vacc available.

Usually the normal one is vanguard 5;

-need 3 jab,

-cheaper cost RM35 each here,

-but is said to be not so garaunteed coz it is a very old type of vac,

Another type is Merial;

-need 2 jab,

-cost more like RM80 each,

-but said to be stronger/safer, a newer version,

To know wat type of vaccination ur pup got, look at the sticker they put on ur pet's card(the one tat the vet gave) there should be a name written in the middle.

Heartgard actually can start at 6wk old by feeding the heartgard chunk to ur pup(not injection). Coz actually deworm start at 6wks.

You need feed it like once a month. The injection can only be done when its 6 mth old(safer). But you can still continue feeding the chunk if you don wan to give him the jab, up to you. But if ur pup is skin sensitive/problem he can't eat the chunk coz its made of beef.
www.wretch.cc/album/LilLiFashion

babymiki
Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2006, 7:53 PM

Post #10 of 41 (13773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silvrash] Vaccination and heartgard issue [In reply to] Can't Post

i have a question...

is it too late to start deworming and giving heartworm tablet when the pup is 4 months old?

can i start to give both treatment at the same time?
e.g 1st of the month start de worm..and then on the 15th will start with heartworm tablet?

Frown*~Germaine's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

Frown MY Friendster BlushFrown

FrownI love my darlings Germaine, the Silky Terrier and Meeko, the Miniature SchnauzerFrown

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 14, 2006, 8:10 PM

Post #11 of 41 (13772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [babymiki] Vaccination and heartgard issue [In reply to] Can't Post

I think its better when you get ur pup first and know his/her medication history before you going to give him/her any medication. Get the medical card from the breeder/petshop you got ur pup from. You will know when/what they have given the pup.

babymiki
Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2006, 8:34 PM

Post #12 of 41 (13750 views)
Shortcut

got the pup yester..as expected she's pooing and peeing everywhere..lol Frown

taking her for grooming today and the documents i got dun have mka cert..how do i check whether she's registered or not? and on one of the papers..it says my dog isn't certified by pedigree..what does this means..

and her health card..she got her first injection on 7th Jan (her DOB is 28th Nov) and er 2nd injection was scheduled on the 7th of feb but the previous owner din bring her to get the injection..will lateness bring any effect to her?

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

FrownI love my darlings Germaine, the Silky Terrier and Meeko, the Miniature SchnauzerFrown

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 16, 2006, 5:06 AM

Post #13 of 41 (13738 views)
Shortcut

Bring her to the Vet and do all the Vacination all over again. It is OK to do that.

Checking wherether she is MKA cert. just ask the vet to scan her for microchip number. If No Microchip inside her that's mean she is not register with MKA. If yes, check with the owner about the cert or you can call MKA at 03-77297822 refer the microchip number to them and check the cert. status.

Hope this helpWink

babymiki
Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2006, 5:47 PM

Post #14 of 41 (13731 views)
Shortcut

she was jab with a 7 in 1 injection yesterday. actually its 6in1 plus a deworm injection. she said germain is old enough and she doesnt need 3 injection..2 will be enuff. just go back for the annual booster yearly. its sufficient. is this true? -.-

she told me that its better to take heartworm injection which only need to be injected once a year..because if i feed my pup in ablet form, once i forget to feed, and she is bitten by a mosquito, worms will grow >.<

im blur n confused.

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

babymiki
Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2006, 6:04 PM

Post #15 of 41 (13730 views)
Shortcut

for the injection..she gave me the small bottles for reference..and on the bottles..it is written NOVIBAC DHPPI(combined freezed dried canine distemper..hepatitis, parovirus and parainfluenza) does this mean its 5 in 1? and NOVIBAC LC (canine vaccine against gastroenteritis cause by canine corona virus blablabla and leptospirosis cause by l canicola blablabla)..anyone havs any idea whats this?

LC can be a diluent for DHPPI..what does this means?

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 17, 2006, 4:14 AM

Post #16 of 41 (13728 views)
Shortcut

Yup. The vet give ur pup 6in1 Injection. For deworm I prefer tablet not injection. For heartworm I also prefer tablet compare to injection.

But this is up to you lar.

Since ur pup now is 4 month old wait when she turn 5 month old and start her with heartworm prevention. If you want to start her early also can no problem.

babymiki
Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2006, 1:00 AM

Post #17 of 41 (13700 views)
Shortcut

the deworm injection is once a year right?

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 22, 2006, 3:51 AM

Post #18 of 41 (13696 views)
Shortcut

I deworm my Silkies 3 month once (Deworm Tablet).

I don't relly like deworm Injection(don't know why).

c-yee
Novice

Mar 22, 2006, 9:37 PM

Post #19 of 41 (13685 views)
Shortcut

my ms has been taking heartworm pill tablet since she is 5 mths old, (she is 2+ yrs old now), but i never give her any deworm tablet b4. once my groomer told me that if i gave her heartworm tablet , it is unnessasary to give additional deworm tablets wor... can anyone help me on this issue??

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 23, 2006, 3:42 AM

Post #20 of 41 (13681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [c-yee] Vaccination and heartgard issue [In reply to] Can't Post

You still need to deworm ur dog even you given him heartworm tablet. Some Heartworm tablet can kill certain type of worms in the dog but not all. By feeding ur dog deworm tablet you can be rest assure that your dog is free of worms.

c-yee
Novice

Mar 23, 2006, 9:19 PM

Post #21 of 41 (13669 views)
Shortcut

thanks a lot for ur advice, may i know which brand of deworm tablet is good for ms??

coffee

Mar 24, 2006, 1:24 AM

Post #22 of 41 (13665 views)
Shortcut

There are a lot of issues on the vaccination and the type of vaccines. Basically a puppy need to have vaccination start from 6 weeks of age and completed by 16 weeks of age. Large breed and giant breed would require another booster at age 20-22 week old. If you bring the puppy to vaccinate at 3months old, your puppy is strong enough to take only 2 vaccination.

For type of vaccine 6 in 1 is the standard core vaccine. Most of the infectious diseases enough to make your dog fall very sick and even death is in the core vaccine. 7 in 1 will have additional coronavirus. Good to have but core vaccine is the most important one. The problem is more and more infectious disease start emerging, more cases reported in oversea that dogs come down sick as a result of leptospirosis, that's why you see now 9 in 1 and 10 in 1. It is extra protection against the leptospira. Not so popular here yet in Malaysia but it is an emerging disease. The best part is leptospirosis is zoonotic,means it can infect human.

There are also other vaccine like rabies and kennel cough vaccine but to vaccinate or not it depends on case to case basis.

eugene
Novice

Jul 17, 2006, 8:26 PM

Post #23 of 41 (13148 views)
Shortcut

hi chrisong,Frown

i read the pets magazine yesterday...is that you are the person in the mag? your silky are so cute leh...i guess is you b'coz the name of the doggy are same with yours.

my shih tzu din take any heartguard b4...he is 15mths now...is that a problem???

since at the end of this mth,he should have his annual vac...can u suggest me whether i should give the heartguard in this week?

i think i should know better about h.guard...i will try to get infor from wedsite later..

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 18, 2006, 6:00 AM

Post #24 of 41 (13138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eugene] Vaccination and heartgard issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. Thats me, wife & SilkiesCool.

Since your ST now already 15 month old and have not taken any heartworm prevention before. I suggest you take your ST for blood test first before you give any heartworm tablet to your dog. I am sure your vet will tell you the same.

Hope this help.

eugene
Novice

Jul 18, 2006, 8:51 PM

Post #25 of 41 (13131 views)
Shortcut

thanks for your reply,

if unfortunately he get heartworm ... what are the consequences?

may i know how much the vet will normally charge for blood test?

and... how the blood test conducted?

hope you can help me on this ... thanksFrown

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my