Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
GR or JRT ??

pearlboy
New User

Feb 3, 2005, 7:13 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1138 views)
Shortcut
GR or JRT ?? Can't Post

Hi pup lovers out there, my daughter has recently passed away due to kidney failure, and every family member is still mourning for her loss. However I intend to get a new dog to fill up the gap in everybody's life. Having no one to wake you up, no barking of her when you come back from work, no more furry bed companion....its abit hard to get use to it. Perhaps time will heal everyone at home. May God bless her and have a happy life up there.

I've already shortlisted 2 breeds which is the Golden Retriever or Jack Russell Terrier. Understood that Golden Retriever is a more obedient dog and easier to train/coach up compared to the JRT and requires frequent grooming, whereas the JRT on the other side is an hyperactive breed ( correct me if im wrong ). We love active dogs at home as they're better at cheering / pissing off everyone at home with their playfulness and annoying barkings at motorbikes in my perception. But am afraid my Mom will be jumping high n low if the dawg bites n chew on her stuff. Thank god my dearie daughter did not do any harm to the carpets shoes or sofas when she was still around.

Please help to give me some ideas ...really not sure which breed to get now. Hopefully my dear daughter will guide and shine on our soon to be new family member from above.

*Dear Shewey, you will always be remembered in the heart of Pa, Ma, Me, Bro and Sis. Hope you will not feel offended with the new family member. No one will ever replace you in our hearts. The new dog will be a new companion and family member to everybody after you left us. You will be loved and remembered forever.

MisterStan
Doggyman

Feb 3, 2005, 7:50 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pearlboy] GR or JRT ?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi pearlboy

sorry for the loss of your daughter... well, you can always get toys/chew stuff/raw hide for jrt to bite... so that the jrt won't go biting other stuff...

samuelsam
K9 Maniac

Feb 3, 2005, 8:02 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1123 views)
Shortcut

Hi pearboy

Feel sad after read yours post....I think Shewey is feel happy cause she has a philanthropy family in her life. Shewey will proud to you. Wish you and yours family can break away from sadness.

Btw...welcome to puppy.com

Em....If you don't mind about mix breed, there are many pups and doggies are waiting us to adpot them. If you worry about they will bite and anything else, you can train them. Is not a ploblem. If you interest from above, you can go and have a look in "Dog Rescue and Adoption" and you can see the subject with "SPRV" words, they are a group which re-home those pups and dogs were unwanted, orphan or abandon.

Hope you can consider to adopt those dog from SPRV or others organization.

But the final is on your hand.

MisterStan
Doggyman

Feb 3, 2005, 8:05 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1121 views)
Shortcut

sam, thanks for reminding hehehe...

pearlboy, if you don't mind, SPRV have mongrel puppies for adoption, as well as adults..

samuelsam
K9 Maniac

Feb 3, 2005, 8:14 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] GR or JRT ?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehe, you're welcome.

Don't call me samuel or sam now, just call me ke po sam

MisterStan
Doggyman

Feb 3, 2005, 8:21 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [samuelsam] GR or JRT ?? [In reply to] Can't Post

i call you pat por lah..

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Feb 3, 2005, 6:26 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1092 views)
Shortcut

both pros and cons. there is a couple of threads about this 2 dogs. do print them out and compare which will suit ur lifestyle more. both breed are active. GR have more mellow attitude with reserve energy. JRT are more on go go go attitude.

i have a GR and the only horror story is shedding. they have a lot and i mean A LOT of hair. so if u cant groom her regularly dont get a GR get a JRT. GR are so much people dog, so if u leave ur doggie outside, he will get depressed. JRT are small so i doubt they will stay outside the house.

GR are easy to train, wanting to please, obedient and an all family dog. JRT are suitable for owners who want to spend a lot of time with them to vent out the energy. they are also happy when u bring them out for jogging. GR are lousy guard dogs, they will bark on alarm but will walk away with the stranger if the stranger is nice to the dog. JRT however can be a moderate guard dog cause it can bark and bark and bark. they also run very fast which may make them hard to catchLaugh.

both has pros and cons, compare and u will find something that u want.

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2005, 1:31 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1059 views)
Shortcut

Here v go again, being a JRT owner sure hv 2 put in some good words (updated version):

JRTs…s size, big attitude n personality, natural performer, independent, inquisitive, quick learner, determined, fearless, adventurous, playful, alert, energetic, fast, agile, acrobatic, sturdy, healthy, long life, low maintenance, sense of humor, cheeky looks.

On d other hand…possessive, stubborn, persistent, curious, mischievous, tendency 2 roam, must b on leash…love 2 charge, pull, tug, run n jump, chases cats n squirrels, easily bored, cant sit/stand/stay still 4 long, need lots of exercise, seeks attention/activity, not afraid 2 die, leap b4 u look mentality.

Don’t hv a GR, but from my recent encounters:

GRs…lovable, loyal, dependable, quiet, calm, settled, unruffled, well mannered, obedient, easily trained, adaptable, approachable, sociable, people person, agile, playful - loves retrieving and catching games, ready to please, noble n friendly looks.

On d other hand…sheds a lot, requires constant grooming, higher maintenance, prefers cool environment, needs regular exercise n play, seeks companionship.

Biting n barking habits comes with all dogs n it’s up 2 u 2 train dem. U’ll need 2 give dem enof exercise n toys so dat dey can focus deir energy on things less destructive/annoying.

In conclusion, both r always playful n fun 2 hv around. It’s a close call.

Groovy(JRT), 'I feel d need...d need 4 speed'

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my