Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Worms in Dog:
worms and prevention

elanas
New User

Jan 24, 2005, 4:11 AM

Post #1 of 18 (13293 views)
Shortcut
worms and prevention Can't Post

HI IM NEW TO THIS SITE AND HAVE A PUPPY AKITA. TOOK HIS STOOL TO VET TO CHECK FOR PARASITES AND HES GOT WHIPWORM AND ROUND WORM. HE WAS DEWORMED BEFORE I GOT HIM FROM BREEDER AND HAVE HIM ON THIS TOPICAL MEDICATION ONECE A MONTH CALLED REVOLUTION. ITS SUPPOSED TO PREVENT HEARTWORMS, TICKS AND FLEAS. MY VET RECOMMENDED IT, BUT NO ONE IVE TALKED TO WHO HAS A DOG HAS HEARD OF IT. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HEARD OF REVLOLUTION? IS IT GOOD? OR SHOULD I JUST GO WITH WHATS POPULAR WHICH IT SEEMS LIKE HEARTGUARD IS?

HOW OFTEN DO PUPPIES NEED DEWORMING? MY AKITA IS 5 MONTHS NOW AND ONLY HAD IT BEFORE I GOT HIM AT 8 WEEKS BUT MY VET NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT REGULAR DEWORMING. ???? THANX FOR ANY ADVICE OUT THERE.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 24, 2005, 4:30 AM

Post #2 of 18 (13285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elanas] worms and prevention [In reply to] Can't Post

Heartworm & Deworming is different. Heartworm tablet is monthly basis you give to your dog for prevention of heartworm. Whereas deworming is 3 month once or 6 month once you give to your dog for killing all types of worm in their stomach.

Heartworm you can considerd for Heartgard plus tablet and for Deworming tablet you can choose Dontal Plus or Cestal Plus.

Hope this help.

AACK2001
Dog Kichi

Jan 25, 2005, 6:25 AM

Post #3 of 18 (13274 views)
Shortcut

hei, i wanna ask, where did u get ur akita puppy?

its hard 2 get one akita around here in malaysia.. and how much did u buy her for?

elanas
New User

Jan 25, 2005, 11:02 PM

Post #4 of 18 (13259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] worms and prevention [In reply to] Can't Post

THANX for the advise. The vet I went to gave me 3 pills called drontal which I need to give him 1.5 today and 1.5 in 2 weeks. It cost $58!!! WOW, talk about an expensive pill. that's almost $20 bucks a pill. I found the same exact brand on line for 11.99 per pill and a cheaper generic brand with same exact pharmacutical ingrediants for just $3.00 a pill. Its called canine all wormer. so I order this one along with some more revolution topical medication. Have you heard of this med out there? Its for everything! fleas, heartworm, ticks etc.. seems to work ok so far. So I should give him the dewormer about every 3 months right??

thanx for input

elanas
New User

Jan 25, 2005, 11:10 PM

Post #5 of 18 (13257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AACK2001] worms and prevention [In reply to] Can't Post

I found a breeder on line I think she was from Iowa. I live in California so they shipped him to me. Look on line. you will find one. I recommend calling them and asking questions first to make she dog was well bread and comes from good family line. My hubbie is the Akita pro and did this part. Hes in Iraq right now so Im left with Kuma (really my first dog) to raise him alone with no prior experiance with Akitas. My hubbie has had 4 of them.

I could look up name of my breeder for you if you are really interested and send it to you. let me know. Kuma, my pup, has a very good temperment and is very sociable. Alot of Akitas are aggresive or can be if not breed and raised the right way from birth. but they are very faithful, smart, wonderful dogs. and are pretty rare. In cali there are quite a few. They became kinda trendy out here. thanx for input

elanas
New User

Jan 25, 2005, 11:14 PM

Post #6 of 18 (13255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AACK2001] worms and prevention [In reply to] Can't Post

OH I paid a lot for her. Kuma was really $1500 us dollars, not sure what kind of money you use out there? But my hubbie got him for $1000 b/c the breeder really liked him and felt good about giving the pup to someone who had akita experience and a good home. Its preferable to have a large back yard since they can grow to be anywhere from 100-150 LBS.

AACK2001
Dog Kichi

Jan 26, 2005, 1:18 AM

Post #7 of 18 (13246 views)
Shortcut

wow! ur from California. i dint know that.. i thought u were from malaysia..

haha,, anyway if i wanna buy a dog from US ,, wow thats impossiible.. i mean like shipping fees

and evrything.. thats gonna cost me alot.. anyway malaysia forbid the import of akita dogs.. tats y

i was wondering if there was a breeder in malaysia.. haha

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 26, 2005, 4:25 AM

Post #8 of 18 (13240 views)
Shortcut

WOW!!! $58 US Dollar ??? or Ringgit in Malaysia ??? wherether it's Ringgit or US Dollar it is also Very Expensive. I brought it for $5 Ringgit Malaysia only for one tablet.

Sorry I did't heard before "canine all wormer". I don't really like it when there are product that claims it can prevents anythings in one tablet. Not sure wherether it got any side effect on our doggie.

Usually I will deworm my Silkys 3 month once (1/2 tablet dontal plus or cestal plus), Once a month on heartworm tablet (1 tablet Heartgard plus), and for ticks and fleas I only use it (frontline spray) when my Silkys have the problem. Cause too much using it the ticks and fleas will immune to it and also cause my Silkys hair breaking.

Hope this help yaWink

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 26, 2005, 4:35 AM

Post #9 of 18 (13236 views)
Shortcut

Your hubby work in Iraq!!!Shocked Isn't that place dangerous?

(This post was edited by chrisong on Jan 26, 2005, 4:36 AM)

scout
Dog Kichi

Feb 1, 2005, 6:13 PM

Post #10 of 18 (13182 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chris,

I've seen your post around the forums. You are very experienced with dogs.

Can i ask u a question?

My Lab is 10 weeks old. Vet said to start him on heart worm tablets at 15 weeks (after his 3rd vac), which means that he is only almost 3 months old. Is this okay? I heard people only start at 5 months.

Also, if he does start with the heartworm pills, how many lbs should i give.. since this one follow dog's weight, and my puppy is still growing?? i plan to give Heartgard (since most popular), so should i start with the one for small dogs first, the slowly change to the one for bigger dogs, until my pup's weight stabilise?

Thank you for your help ":D

Cheers,

G

(This post was edited by scout on Feb 1, 2005, 6:18 PM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 4, 2005, 7:25 AM

Post #11 of 18 (13137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scout] worms and prevention [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

You can start the heartworm tablet at 3 month old. But mostly your pup wound't have any heartworm at his age. That why most Vet will recommend start the heartworm prevention when our pup is 5 month old.

Give the heartworm tablet according the weight of your dog.

scout
Dog Kichi

Feb 12, 2005, 5:27 PM

Post #12 of 18 (13066 views)
Shortcut

Noted with lotsa thank yous!! :D

rusty
Novice

Feb 16, 2005, 8:32 AM

Post #13 of 18 (13014 views)
Shortcut

I felt compelled to share the lifecycle of heartworm infection again whenever I see so much of confusion as to when to start giving the first dose of heartworm preventatives, when to do testing, which type of heartworm prevention is better etc. Here goes :

When we say that a dog has heartworm infection, it means that the dog has adult worms in the heart. The male and female adult worms will mate and produce babies which are called L1 (1st stage larvae) or Microfilariae.

These L1 are in the blood circulation of the dog. When a mosquito bites the infected dog, it will pick up the L1. In the mosquito, the L1 will develop into L2 and eventually into L3 depending on the environmental temperature (anytime below 15 degrees Celcius, the development will halt). L1 to L3 will take a period of around 14 days. The L3 is the infective stage whereby the mosquito will look for another victim or may go back to the same infected dog and transmit the L3. Once the L3 gets into the dog, it will migrate through the tissue and become L4. L3 - L4 will take around 1-3 days. From L4, it will slowly migrate to the veins leading back to the heart and develop into L5. L4 - L5 will take around 60 days. L5 will eventually end up in the heart as adult worms and this process will take another 4-6 months. The male and female adult worms will start mating again and produce L1 and the process goes on as before.

Therefore, from the lifecycle, what we can gather is that from the time a clean and healthy dog is bitten by a mosquito carrying L3, it will take at least another 6 months before they start developing adult worms in the heart. That is why a lot of people have this misconception that as long as I start giving heartworm preventatives before 6 months of age, my dog is safe. No ! No ! No ! This is not true. Just grab hold of one of the Heartgard brochures and it is mentioned in it very clearly that dogs as early as 6 weeks of age can be put on heartworm preventatives.
The reason is because of how heartgard works. When a puppy is born, even at one day old it was bitten by an infected mosquito carrying L3, at 6 weeks old, the L3 would have developed into L4 and is also 6 weeks old. Heartgard given at 6 weeks old is able to kill the L4 which is also 6 weeks old from the time of infection at day old of the puppy. Beyond that, there is no guarantee of 100% efficacy. Therefore, any dogs given the 1st heartworm preventatives after 6 weeks old, will need a Heartworm test. However, the test specifically test only for adult worms and if you read back the lifecycle mentioned above, it will take at least 6 months from the time of infection by L3, before adult worms are developed and get detected by the test kit. That is why any dogs that is less than 6 months old, if we were to do a heartworm test, it will definitely be negative. Eventually, we are caught in a dilemma if we don't start giving heartgard by 6 weeks. Any heartworm preventatives given after 6 weeks of age, please go and enquire from your vet as to what you are suppose to do.

In Reply To

kmchan1
Novice

Feb 18, 2005, 6:41 PM

Post #14 of 18 (12963 views)
Shortcut

hi hi..

just wanna share my unfortunate experience with heartworms. In 2003, my dog had heartworms. It went through a long horrible ordeal. Several trips to the vet plus expensive costs of treatment. My dog was reduced to half of its size/weight. It was heart-wrenching for my family and I thru out its recovery period till he gained back his weight and vitality. Since then, i have been giving my dog heartguard every month. I tried other heartworm prevention brand but I think Heartguard tastes better coz she wants more after the first one. Of coz, no more for her till next month Smile Hmm... cant remember what's the other brand that i used but it's heartshaped - my dog didnt quite like it.

Make sure you alwaz have your dog on heartworm prevention coz it kills!
kmchan1

scout
Dog Kichi

Mar 1, 2005, 1:53 AM

Post #15 of 18 (12840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rusty] worms and prevention [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you thank you.. I will be starting my puppy on heartgard tomorrow (1 March). I believe, prevention is much better than cure. Then maybe when he is 6 months old, i will give him blood test to check whether got heartworm (I HOPE NOT!!)...

Thanks again...

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 13, 2005, 6:45 PM

Post #16 of 18 (12707 views)
Shortcut

yah i agree, prevention is better than cure. not to talk abt the cost of operation 1st, ur dog will definitely suffer if they gets heartworm. be a responsible owner!

Regards,

Yang

therock
Novice

Apr 17, 2005, 8:06 PM

Post #17 of 18 (12402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] worms and prevention [In reply to] Can't Post

Nobody in the puppy.com has ever discussed on ProHeart manufacturered by Fort Dodge thus i have believed in vets recommendation for the yearly heartworm injection. My maltese almost died 1 day following the injection and in critical care for 2 weeks.

Today when i search the website on this product and go to their corperate site. To my astonishment, Proheart (heartworm injection) was banned since last year - the director of the company issued letters to vets and consumers stated the product got problem and banned by government.

Why Malaysia vet doctors are using the banned drug? I really do not understand this as i am a professional too. I am keeping all the Fort Dodge letter and literatures on this product and prepare for legal actions if anymore vets recommend and use on my dog. I will definitely sue till they lost their livelihood

coffee

Apr 29, 2005, 2:04 AM

Post #18 of 18 (12312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [therock] worms and prevention [In reply to] Can't Post

Read properly for what ever letter you have. Or else you will be back fired and get into trouble. There is a different in Proheart 6 and Proheart 12. P6 is being withdrawn by the manufacturer but not P12. Make sure the letter and info you have got something to back them up. To the court, it is pointless to bring the net forum, discussion or any website as an evidence. You need published paper, research journal... Normally when adverse reaction is reported, the manufacturer will gather information, if beyond the norm, the manufacturer will sometime recall the product. Same all everything else, car, handphone, computer...

What ever letter you have, the vets will have it. Do you think it is possible for you to get the manufacturer letter and the vets don't. You think is it possible for all the vet in Malaysia and Australia and Singapore to use the Proheart if it is already banned.

It is entirely possible that somebody is trying to sent blackmail just to reduce the usage of proheart and increase the usage of other alternative heartworm prevention. Typical marketing strategy. Anyone agree with me. How about thecorrs?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my