Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
How does your dog show you it is unhappy with you?

faithgirl
Novice

Jan 21, 2005, 7:15 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1725 views)
Shortcut
How does your dog show you it is unhappy with you? Can't Post

Hi!
My shih tzu sometimes shows her displeasure at being left alone in the home by pulling tissues/paper out of the wastepaper basket or dragging one of the throw pillows from my study out into the living room. She will tear the tissues into shreds but leave crumpled balls of paper on the living room floor. Just wondered if any of your precious fur babies do show their displeasures, and in what way?Frown

Chiayi
Novice

Jan 22, 2005, 7:00 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [faithgirl] How does your dog show you it is unhappy with you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I think ur precious sweetie is bored, that's how dogs entertain themselves when left alone for a long period of time. Yeah my baby Lawrence, well he has passed on (now he's my angel) well he loved to chew lighters when he's bored. Chewing is a destructive behavior but remember that it is also just natural for dogs to chew, it's not like your doggy is showing his/her displeasure towards you, it's just that he/she is missing you so much and dunno what to do while waiting for you to come home. So do spend more time with your doggy ok? My friend who is a vet told me that every each time when you wanna leave the house, you have to tell your doggy when you are coming back and assure him/her with a pet, i know it sounds funny but eventhough that they dun understand our language but it's the calming effect and the reassurance that they could somehow feel from our body language when we tell them that we are not abandoning them and we will return soon. Some doggies may have seperation anxiety so never scold your doggy when you are heading out the door when he/she is crying for you and wanna follow you, scolding our precious furbabies will only make them confuse with our tone of voice, instead what you should do is just gently pet them and redirect their attention like asking ur family member to call his/her name or you can throw his/her favourite chew toy somewhere else to direct his/her attention away from you and then you leave the house. This is not really to trick him/her but making your doggy understand that it's alright to be home alone for a while because you will be coming back soon and you are like asking him/her to chew on his/her favourite toy first before you return. Ok cheers!

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 22, 2005, 7:26 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [faithgirl] How does your dog show you it is unhappy with you? [In reply to] Can't Post

ur shih tzu is not unhappy with you, dont worry. she is very very bored. buy her a few toys she can play at home, if u r worried she will destroy your house, put baby gates to section areas u want her to play and keep her out from the areas u dont want her to be by herself. pls dont think this is cruel but making ur bored dog walk around the house bored, she will pose more danger than good. proper playpen the best piece of equipment for dogs left alone.

2nd, buy her toys, possibly get a small kong and fill it with treats, u will be amazed how long dogs can go at trying to get the treat out. dont help her cause she will depend on ur help and become lazy.

3rd, small breed tend to bark non stop being left alone, so to help her, don't tell shower her with extra attention before u leave, just leave her in the playpen, stroke her a few times and give her the kong treat and leave. if u want to monitor her, try short time and see if she barks or not ie just stand outside ur door and see if she barks. some dogs get bad separation anxiety, so show her keys don't mean u r leaving her. let her see u lock ur house with u and her inside the house. let her hear u shake ur keys at breakfast. so next time she won't think keys mean my owner going to leave me. dont think that cause u leave ur dog at home, she is going to think, "ok she is gone and i am going to destroy her house", no they dont think that way, just they are finding something to do.

let me tell u about an unhappy dog, i rescued a kitten recently and fed it and bath it, my 6.5 months golden retriever first looked at the kitten curious and then look at me. then she see me sayang the kitten, she looked at me like saying "what about me?", i call her, she just sits in front of me, her head turned away from me. called her again, turned her face at me like 1 second and then turn away. the whole night, she won't eat treats i give her cause i am still holding the cat, she run away from me. "a bit manja and want to tunjuk perasaan". lastly i had to give the kitten away after 1 day and she returned to her old self. now do u call that unhappy dog or just she and i have a very very strong bond?Sly

faithgirl
Novice

Jan 23, 2005, 6:56 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chiayi] How does your dog show you it is unhappy with you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Chiayi & Kelsey
Oops, wrong use of word on my part, methinks! Unhappy is not really the word, I guess. It's just one of Faith's quirks. She's good 99.99% of the time (honest, cross my heart Wink) and since I work from home 90% of the time, she's seldom alone. She just goes through the tissue/wasterpaper basket/pillow routine once in a while tho she knows that she will get a treat before and after I come back! She also has one or two toys to play with. In fact, she will greet me at the door, and promptly lead me to the "mess" if she makes one. If she hasn't made a mess, she'd just go beserk sniffing my ankles, going round in circles, and snorting to show me how glad she is to see me home! But she doesn't bark, though, thank goodness, nor does she jump one me!
Of course, there is some separation anxiety involved - at least on my part, if not on Faith's! I miss her terribly when I have to go anywhere without her and have minimised holidays enormously!
I snuck her into a hotel in Penang recently and may just try to do that again. If only I could find a hotel in Penang that accepts dogs!
Do either of you know of one? I spent the whole day today trying to track one post in which the poster said he/she brings dog to a hotel in Penang. But couldn't find which post it is!
Cheers
Frown

faithgirl
Novice

Jan 23, 2005, 6:59 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] How does your dog show you it is unhappy with you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Kelsey
Your GR looks so happy, friendly and lovable! GR would be my choice of breed if I could keep a large dog.

Chiayi
Novice

Jan 23, 2005, 8:35 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1692 views)
Shortcut

hi faithgirl,

Oh that's so sweet that you misses your dog till u have the seperation anxiety, I miss my Lawrence very much everyday since he has passed on. I used to call him from abroad when I am on assignment just to let Lawrence listen to my voice. I got a new puppy for a week now named John, he's so cute and feisty too! I am so glad that God created doggies for humans and us the lucky few are enjoying the pleasure of the unconditional love from our doggies is a real blessing. Take care ya and from the way u described ur doggie, I think she must be a real darling and dun worry bout the mess if you're at home that often, I wished that I could work from home too sometimes so I can spend more time with my doggies. Ok take care! All the best! P/S: I really dunno which hotel in penang let dogs in, why dun u just bring ur doggie in without the hotel ppl noticing ur doggie? A shih tzu can be hidden in ur bags, let someone else do the registration while u just snuck into the room with ur doggie =)

faithgirl
Novice

Jan 23, 2005, 5:18 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chiayi] How does your dog show you it is unhappy with you? [In reply to] Can't Post

How's John doing? Having a puppy is like having a baby in the home, no?
Yes, Faith's a darling but I think that every dog owner who loves her dog feels the same about her pooch. And you are right about a dog's unconditional love. I named my dog Faith because she had such incredible faith in me. When I first brought her back at 4 months, I was so touched by how she trusted me implicitly! She still does so in a way, it's easy for me to snuck her out of my apartment in a bag and so far, even with other ppl in a lift (not crowded, i.e.), she is okay. Doesn't make a sound or move at all despite being covered in a track-top - just a wee opening for her snout Smile
How's potty training coming along with John?
Cheers

Chiayi
Novice

Jan 26, 2005, 7:34 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1660 views)
Shortcut

Hi faithgirl and hi to faith!

Yeah John is like a new baby to me, Lawrence is his older brother but Lawrence has passed on, tomorrow on 27th is exactly 2 months now that I have lost him. I miss him so much and looking at John sometimes well I can't help but to miss Lawrence even more cos John reminds me of my Lawrence baby boy too much. John is very cute, I guess Lawrence is my angel now and he sent me so that John can take care of me =) Haven't potty trained John yet and he poops everywhere, John has a passion in his little life much like Lawrence, both of them seems to be possessed and obsessed over food! I hope it's healthy cos John does seem a bit chubby but his digestion is splendid, he eats and poops and he eats then he poops again and he's very active too. Anyway take good care of faith, Im sure she's a beautiful beautiful darling, I love dogs all my life, cats are ok too. Alright take care! Tata! P/S: Kiss faith good nite for me? Thanks!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my