Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Need advice on what dog to get

jarjar
Novice

Jan 21, 2005, 1:51 AM

Post #1 of 8 (2566 views)
Shortcut
Need advice on what dog to get Can't Post

I'm planning to get a dog of my own but couldn't make up my mind on what breed I should get. I'm living in a terrace house and there will be around 7 hours a day that no one will be home. It will not be a guard dog but should be obedient and royal. I like medium to big breed. I've gone through some info from the web and listed the options below however I dunno whether it is correct so need you guys expertise.

1) Chow chow - not that obedient and hard to train?

2) Chinese foo dog - very little info that I could find for this breed and not so sure if Malaysia has anyone breed it.

3) German shepherd - very obedient and royal but I think it is too common.

4) Siberian Husky - Heard a lot of stories about this breed like to escape from their owner.

5) Great pyrenees - love their look but might be too big and hard to find any breeder of this breed.

6) Shetland shepdog - might be a good choice but scare it couldn't handle malaysia's hot wether.

Any recommendation is very welcome. Thank you.

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jan 21, 2005, 3:13 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jarjar] Need advice on what dog to get [In reply to] Can't Post

hell jarjar

based on what i know, chow chow is suitable to be kept indoor, and need grooming everyday, and for the fur to be nice, preferbly sleep in fan room or ceiling room..

husky can be kept also, but just like chow chow, husky is a cold weather dog... so need fan or a/c also lah... the fan or a/c is just to make the siberian husky fur nice....

i not sure bout the other 3, and german shepherd might be suitable lah.... but if you can handle big dogs, then no problem lah...

good luck!!!

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 21, 2005, 6:13 AM

Post #3 of 8 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Based on the list it look like GS are more suitable in Malaysia Weather lor.

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jan 21, 2005, 7:56 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Hi Smile

Its great that u took the time to study & research about what breed may be best suitable for u & ur lifestyle... Hope what I have to comment be of some help to u... according to ur choice,

1) Chow chow - not that obedient and hard to train? grooming alone can be very demamding... since u work fulltime (7hrs a day) I am not sure u will want to put grooming in ur relaxing schedule... think u wud rather spend the time playing & bonding with ur furkid

2) Chinese foo dog - very little info that I could find for this breed and not so sure if Malaysia has anyone breed it. I have not heard of this breed so its definately something new Crazy did some search myself & it looks like the dog resembles a short coat chow chow... apparently comes in 3 sizes of toy, miniature & standard... according to this site, they are smart dogs... http://dogs.puppydogweb.com/chinese+foo+dog.htm

3) German shepherd - very obedient and loyal but I think it is too common. Ranked among top ten in their intelligence. As a guard dog, guess they need no intro. But if u were to consider this breed, u have to be very careful of their legs. They are very proned to leg & hip problems. A GSD needs proper OB training.

4) Siberian Husky - Heard a lot of stories about this breed like to escape from their owner. Hmmm... seems to be the hit in the market now... yet they are supposed to be living in cold climate... it seems unnatural for them to be in M'sia...

5) Great pyrenees - love their look but might be too big and hard to find any breeder of this breed. Not suitable for the M'sian climate

6) Shetland shepdog - might be a good choice but scare it couldn't handle malaysia's hot wether. Even if they can adjust to the local climate, they will sufer mentally as these are highly intelligent working dogs. They need ample exercise & most importantly they need work. My neighbour's sheepdog is going mad with boredom & is sad to look at how stressed out he is. He was brought back with the owner from US. Grooming will be another issue.

Maybe u will like to consider a Lab/GR?... beagle? just a tot... hope u find a suitable breed & all the best... Wink

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 22, 2005, 7:02 AM

Post #5 of 8 (2537 views)
Shortcut

u will be at home 7 hours a day, actually all dogs cannot tahan being left alone all the time.

hmm why don't get a labrador retriever? it's a good family dog esp for first time dog owners, it's fairly easy to groom. the dogs that u mention will require constant grooming and forget 2,4,5 & 6 choice, even if u can get no 5 here but it's extremely hard for the dog live here. they live in mountains in switzerland, so not exactly malaysia "boleh". dedication is needed, always have to have the dog in air cond room and don't expect those long coat dogs to grow beautiful coats, cause breeds that are for cold weather like huskies, pyrenees their fur will become thinner to accomodate the weather but still the fella look like half dead. also u want to keep ur dog indoor or outdoor?

chow chow can be stubborn and a one person dog, have to train properly but they are extremely loyal.

common dog breeds are really ok since u already see they can live here. no point u get a rare breed and then no one to discuss stuff and u also don't really know about the dog. buying them can be expensive too. maybe u can try to buy common breed then after u ok already, u buy lah something like borzoi. remember large breeds need lots of exercise and work if not barking and destroying ur house is already on the menu.

maybe with the time u have spend at home, u should get basset hound? bulldog? cocker spaniel though i think most cocker owners will say their dogs is active. basset hound & bulldog are low energy dogs. mean u dont have to talk for 10 km walks like u would with a retriever. basset hound are just lazy..hahaha.

but if i have the time for walks, training, money to feed and also time to spend, i suggest u get a labrador retriever. they are excellent dogs! this website may also help you. www.canismajor.com/dog/apart.html

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jan 22, 2005, 10:59 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2524 views)
Shortcut

Hello,

I agree with kelsey... the dog breeds that you have mentioned are not suitable if you plan to have them as outdoor dogs... german shepherd ok lah but will need lots of training and attention... Without teh proper training, it will grow aggressive, stubborn and barkish... with proper training, it will be a good dog to have. The breeds that you have listed out are also very high risk at getting stolen if left alone coz they are difficult to find in Malaysia and have ahigh market price....

Please do consider labradors. They are sweet, easier to train than any other dog breeds, can live outdoors and indoors and can be barking watchdog but not biting guard dogs. I have a labrador and boxers... Boxers are easy to train but you must know how to train. They are excellent guard dogs too and good family dogs.

Or how about considering a rescued puppy? My friends and I have a rescue group and we have a few nice puppies for adoption now.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jan 30, 2005, 9:57 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2470 views)
Shortcut

Your opinion... You want a dog to be obedient and ROYAL? Seriously, you don't sound like you are ready to have a dog to me. If you are only gonna show off your dog, might as well you buy something inanimate and not alive to show off.

Love, BB's Mommy

Frown BB Appreciation <<-->> BB ~ My Baby, My Love, My Everything, My Reason For Living Frown

Frown BB Shares Goss-Fest <<-->> BB & Snowy, Sitting under a Tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G ~ Gossip is F-R-E-E Frown

Frown BB Photo Album <<-->> Puppy Love ~ BB Photo Compilation Frown

Frown BB Dedication <<-->> Doggone It! BB @ Dogster! ~ BB Blogs 2!! Frown

thomstan
Canine Addict

Feb 1, 2005, 11:29 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2455 views)
Shortcut

My piece of advise, owning a pup or dog is not just about shouting no or telling him to come, sit and stay. There are a lot of responsibilities attached. To name a few:

1) Waking up ealier than usual when he's a pup to feed him/her is a must and it has to be consistant. If you decides to feed her at around 7am, then 7:00 ~ 7:30am would be the time you feed her for the next 8 ~ 12 months.

2) You gotta clean up those pee and poo around your compound or else your compound and your dog will stink and you'll not even want to hug your dog.

3) Consistant training is also very important.

Note that the 3 points mentioned above is all about yourself and not the dog. Patience, consistancy and discipline. If you can commit yourself to any one of the 3, then I suggest that you wait till the day you can. Or else, another bites the dust.

I've said this and would like to said it again.. there is no bad dog, only bad owner.

I'm not discouraging you to own a dog. I just want you to know what is there to expect.

Good luck in deciding!! btw.. do update if you've decided which breed of dog you're planning to get. You might get advice you never knew you would get.

The one you love is the one that should take you higher

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my