Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Hip Dysplasia:
Puppy with hip dysplasia

kokkiwi
Novice

Jan 19, 2005, 2:02 AM

Post #1 of 8 (4552 views)
Shortcut
Puppy with hip dysplasia Can't Post

I have a 6 month old rottie and she has been walking odd recently, with a bit of lameness and also bunny hopping.

Her parents are fit and robust and she was a bouncing puppy

My vet did an Xray and it shows mild hip displasia. the ball joint in perfect but the cup is not perfect. she has been on cosguine for two weeks now and I have increased her calcium supplements.

does anyone out there have any advice. should I do hip replacement of hip scoring? at what age should this be done? as she is still growing can she grow out of it? If she needs surgery, do any one know of a vet who can do a goog job?

need advice, as she is family, and I dont want to put her down.

chilimson

Jan 26, 2005, 5:59 AM

Post #2 of 8 (4531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kokkiwi] Puppy with hip dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you have posted in another thread, but there are a lot of genetic flaws that could be hidden and you cannot see. HD is 100% genetics and 100% environment. Sounds like a paradox, but it is. Anyway, unless you really trust the pedigree line certificate you have and seen all the 14 dogs in the certificate as HD- or HD Frei.

At six months, just do what I suggested. Forget about hip replacement, because I think if you let them growing slowly, then you could save the money and the misery.

kokkiwi
Novice

Jan 27, 2005, 2:42 AM

Post #3 of 8 (4521 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chilimson] Puppy with hip dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Many thanks for your informative reply. will certainly cut back on the calaium and give the dog some Vitamin C. will take her swiming too. by the way you mentioned an injection which does wonders, what does it actually do?

Many Thanks

In Reply To

chilimson

Jan 27, 2005, 10:57 AM

Post #4 of 8 (4515 views)
Shortcut

I am very busy and will give you a short reply. Go to the google and search for the long reply. Please do not just cut back on calcium, but cut "out". Just those on the kibble that you feed will do and not supplement required. I know some people think otherwise, and so it is your call. Adequan purpose is quite similar to Gloucosomine and Chondroitin. Except that it is more potent because you have to inject it into the muscle and it goes straight to the bloodstream and the joints. Ingestion will take a longer time because it will need to be absorb into the intestine and so on. Sorry for the short answer. PM me and I will give you some websites for more details discussion on HD.

kokkiwi
Novice

Feb 2, 2005, 10:34 PM

Post #5 of 8 (4451 views)
Shortcut

sorry for the late reply, as suggested by you, I have cut out the calcium supplements.

if you have any website or advice I should look into

Many thanks

(This post was edited by Moderator on Feb 3, 2005, 5:34 AM)

chilimson

Feb 3, 2005, 8:22 AM

Post #6 of 8 (4441 views)
Shortcut

Do you have the your puppy's pedigree certificate? Could you post the parents, sire and dam will do? I am not sure why the PM function does not work. Is this your first Rottie? Did you buy from a pet shop or a breeder?

kokkiwi
Novice

Feb 4, 2005, 2:10 AM

Post #7 of 8 (4432 views)
Shortcut

I have yet to get the birth cert as the have yet to sign it. will let you know her parents as soon as I can . I bought her from a breeder, a friend of the family. It was from a litter of 4, 2 males, 2 females. this is my third rottie but the first one that has a wobbly hip at such a young age. my last rottie had hip problems at the age of 12. I am now giving my rottie Cosequin and 500mg Vit C twice a day for close to one month. she is very mobile and loves to play with my 3 yr old doberman but she wobbles and limps when she walks. I give her a short walk every morning. I have started her swiming on sundays, but in KL it is difficult to find a lake where there are no fishermen who dislike having a dog in the pond. Will keep trying. TQ

chilimson

Feb 4, 2005, 7:46 AM

Post #8 of 8 (4423 views)
Shortcut

Do not let her play with your Dobbie. Or at least unsupervised play. She may be worst off depending on how rough the playing is. My advise is not allow the play. But wait till you have a chance to correct her limping first.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my