ALLIANCE
New User

Jan 13, 2005, 6:57 PM

Post #1 of 19 (28063 views)
Shortcut
stop jumping to me!!!!!! Can't Post

EEEE~~~hMad

i just hate my dog to jump to me each time he sees me

(especially he's not a tiny dog but the german shepherd)

luckily he's only 4 months old but i'm wondering whether he will still jump to me when he reaches

10 months old later!!!

safe me!!!!

Paula
New User

Jan 13, 2005, 10:26 PM

Post #2 of 19 (28050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALLIANCE] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ignore the dog when he jumps on you, ask him to sit and when he does praise him and pay attention to him.

In Reply To

kwlean2002
Doggyman

Jan 31, 2005, 10:18 PM

Post #3 of 19 (27954 views)
Shortcut

try holding some, that make your dog afraid like rottan. or voice comman (show some angry) so that he will afraid a bit...

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Mar 4, 2005, 8:35 PM

Post #4 of 19 (27787 views)
Shortcut

hey alliance,

well its actually kinda hard for u to stop them as he's so excited n i know how it feels like..i have a gsd just like yours last time and he used to jump up till he's more than 2....but we managed to get him down with consistent training.lgnore him is the most effective training..and pls do not shout or scream or whack him just bcos he's excited to see u... when u enter your house he will dash str8 to u right..so hold his collar and ask him to sit n if he doesnt ignore him n go str8 into the house.. train him to sit more often so tht he knows once sit he will get praise or treats..

patience is the key to it!!!!!
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 6, 2005, 3:59 AM

Post #5 of 19 (27773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

how abt if there are 10 dogs to greed u when u reach? any solution? i hardly get any... Pirate

Regards,

Yang

AACK2001
Dog Kichi

Mar 26, 2005, 4:37 PM

Post #6 of 19 (27647 views)
Shortcut

well, do you know why dogs jump on you? b.cuz they wanna lick ur lips and face.. thats how dogs greet their superior and one nother,, hmm... i dont think i got solution for this lo.. but if u dunwan ur shiet to get dirty.. just bend down n giv him a siple form of greeting lo.. like you lick his face lo.. hahaha or you just igmnore him.. when he settle down dy.. only u go greet him by petting him lo.

Sydney
Doggyman

Apr 24, 2005, 10:40 PM

Post #7 of 19 (27592 views)
Shortcut

Well,

You have 2 train it 2 b really good and obedient.. Try trainning itSmile

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

khoo262
Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005, 6:41 PM

Post #8 of 19 (27579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

whenever my GSD jumps at me, i will turn my back to him. i find this very effective and after a few trys, he stopped jumping completely and until today (he is 10 months now), he never jump to greet me.

Teach him to sit to greet you. whenever you come thru the door, and he sits, praise him and pat him.
finally..... khoo262 has come back to puppy.com

Sydney
Doggyman

May 2, 2005, 12:21 AM

Post #9 of 19 (27540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khoo262] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehe good for u. At least you dont have to be pounced by yor dog everytime u come backCool

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

dannysao
Dog Kichi

May 26, 2005, 8:14 PM

Post #10 of 19 (27332 views)
Shortcut

actually i agree that they are very excited...i have a minin pinch..every time i go home he will jump until off the floor ..and looking like try to reach my face..i try some way to get him not to do this, but not seem to be very successful..i give up now..just let him jump..unless there is anyone out there know any good method to do let me avoid this..

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 2, 2005, 3:24 AM

Post #11 of 19 (27315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog, ALL] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

what if it's a friendly stray dog that gets really excited when he sees u? this is happening to me now... i dunno why, but probably i carry my dog's smell on me? he even wanted to get into my car, followed me back to my house... which is on the 3rd floor of a flat... Crazy

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 7, 2005, 9:27 PM

Post #12 of 19 (27274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kwlean2002] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you do not mean it, anyway it will not work. My dog has a little over 50 Kg and would think that you plan to play fetch and you might get scared instead.

I started early to untrain this normal reaction by leaning back and bringing one knee forward. In this position it is not possible for the dog to reach your face or hit your chest. Another way (for giant breed) is to fetch the front paws and turn to one side. It safes your clothes and is less fun for the dog. He might stop rather sooner then later. You can enforce that by giving him something to do, e.g. sit command. Lots of praise will shorten training time.

Said that, remember that a dog is a pack animal and your position as the alpha should never be questioned. Always your call & decision and not his. Once in a while don't greet your dog, just greet other family members, do something else for a few minutes and then greet him.

kwlean2002
Doggyman

Jun 7, 2005, 10:06 PM

Post #13 of 19 (27271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha....maybe not work all the time, but for mine medium size dog is ok and work too ! thanks for sharing.

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jul 8, 2005, 8:34 PM

Post #14 of 19 (27158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ai ney,

well if its a stray then just use your knee to stop them from coming to u lor...or raise ur voice a bit and say no to them...but dunno whether it willl work perfectly or not lah..ahah...no harm trying...maybe bcos they want u to rehome them.. anyway i have a dalmatian for adoption...needing a home fast..pls check out my post in adoption forum..thankss a lot
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 8, 2005, 8:44 PM

Post #15 of 19 (27157 views)
Shortcut

hi ivan,

haha, that's wat my colleague said too... maybe the stray was trying his luck to get me to take him home... Laugh he's a real friendly dog, but his size might intimidate non dog owners... anyway, i hardly see him nowadays... maybe he realises that he has no chance with me and moved on... Blush

yeah i saw yr post on the dal... will send out an email to my frens about it... Cool

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

alicewpy
Novice

Apr 15, 2008, 12:46 AM

Post #16 of 19 (25524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though my dog is small, he always jumps at me whenever I walk through the door. When I greet him, it triggers him to be overly-excited and start jumping. I've learnt to ignore him ie. no eye contact, no calling his name and don't show enthusiasm eventhough I really want to give him a hug.

When I get into the house I lock the door and walk walk straight into the hall and put my bags down. Once I'm all settled, then I call for him and play with him. I do this everyday and my dog has stopped jumping at me.

Well, I'm still working on training him not to jump at visitors.

vckloong
Novice

Apr 27, 2008, 8:46 PM

Post #17 of 19 (24971 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicewpy] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Dog behavioural problems are sometimes worrisome.

If you guys need an expert or consultant's advice from the United States you can visit www.dogtrainster.com.

They have pretty good information there as well as certified consultants there to help you out.

Vincent
www.dogtrainster.com - Ultimate Resource and Tips for Dog Training
www.dogtrainster.com - Ultimate Resource and Tips for Dog Training

daniellechua02
Novice

May 16, 2008, 8:37 AM

Post #18 of 19 (24670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vckloong] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dog jumping issue, i guess all the dog without proper dog training will mostly doing these.

Hello all dog owners, let understand why your dog jumping first before reacting to stop him!

Whenever doorbell rang, your dog will jump? Why? This is because they feel excited for the arrival of the guest and dog jumping to show “I am the host!” Dogs jump up to express their over-excitement. When you reach home, your dog feel over excited as his master back home, he will jump too!

No other choice to stop your dog from jumping other than provide dog training for him!

Danielle Chua
www.dogcareschool.com
Danielle Chua
www.dogcareschool.com

Love and Understand your dog, pinurl.com/loveyourdog

zephyros
Canine Addict

Sep 18, 2008, 11:05 PM

Post #19 of 19 (22542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kwlean2002] stop jumping to me!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

actually using something that scares ur dog is not a good way to teach your dog

1) you're dog will always be afraid of that "thing"

2) outsiders, strangers, etc can use that to their advantage

3) you want your dog to respect you, NOT fear you

Puppy or adult, if they are brought up the proper way, they will not jump on you to begin with.

this is not training, it's conditioning. believe it or not, you actually conditioned your dog to

jump on you. they did not learn it by themselves. when they were pups, you encouraged them to

jump on you. don't shake your heads yet. ASk yourself, have you ever clapped ur hands or hold out treats

high enough that your pup needs to jump, climb or balance on you? sometimes when you play with them

and they jump on you, you even smiled, praise and gave lots of hugs/rubs etc. Those were

the conditionings that you gave ur pup that you WANT them to jump on you.

If that's already something going on, what was suggested above where u turn your back on them, IS

a very good way to condition your dog and learn that jumping will earn your dog NO attention.

But to do this, you have to be VERY strict, turning your back AND NO eye contact.

Good luck

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my