IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
bald patches on the tail and rear end

sun-arrow

Jan 10, 2005, 6:56 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2323 views)
Shortcut
bald patches on the tail and rear end Can't Post

there are bald patches on my dog's tail and rear end. The skin there is not red or pink. My dog bites its own tail. How can I stop that and regrow the fur? The sizes of patches around the width (tail) and length (rear) of cell phone.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 12, 2005, 10:48 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sun-arrow] bald patches on the tail and rear end [In reply to] Can't Post

You need to identify the cause of the problem before anything else can be done. Hair loss is a symptom that something is wrong, but without seeing the dog - its very hard to say what might be the cause. And without knowing the cause - it's very difficult to suggest any solution.

There are so many reasons why a dog suffers from hair loss ... from fungal to mange infection ... allergies ... incorrect or insufficient diet ... stress ... nervousness ... etc etc

So - take your dog to a good vet for examination - get a skin scraping done.

Cheers

sun-arrow

Jan 18, 2005, 12:23 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] bald patches on the tail and rear end [In reply to] Can't Post

hi surchinmy, actually i thought biting is the problem... so I just bought bitter apple to apply on the areas.. but after reading your post, and the recent problem with ticks, I think it might be the diet.... thanks for replying

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 18, 2005, 12:38 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sun-arrow] bald patches on the tail and rear end [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Like I mentioned before - its hard to do any kind of guess as to what is causing your dog to itch or lose coat without seeing the dog.

But if you think it might be the diet ... then ... sometimes reducing the protein level helps reduce itching and improves skin condition.

You can do this by switching to a kibble with lower protein or by reudcing kibble and add/replace with fresh food (eg: blended veggies & fruit) ... It requires some experimenting to find the best protein level for each dog ...

Cheers

sun-arrow

Jan 18, 2005, 12:57 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] bald patches on the tail and rear end [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, I am going to bring him to see the vet when i get my salary Blush Currently I am super broke. And its teeth needs cleaning too. I did tried to feed him chopped up apple with his kribbles and he picked out all the kribbles, leaving the apple bits untouched... Which is very funny and frustrating to see Laugh

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my