Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Hip Dysplasia:
glucosamine & puppies

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 3, 2005, 10:00 PM

Post #1 of 7 (10082 views)
Shortcut
glucosamine & puppies Can't Post

can a puppy be given hip/joint supplement? she is 23 weeks old GR. the only fault we have is she is an indoor dog, so she tend to waddle a bit when she walks slowly, but there is no pain and she seems to be fine.

we give her chicken / lamb cartillage (the actual meat and not pills) on weekly basis. is this ok?

thanks.

rusty
Novice

Jan 5, 2005, 7:24 AM

Post #2 of 7 (10054 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] glucosamine & puppies [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Kelsey,

There are quite a number of glucosamine supplement available. However, you should consider getting one that has a combination of glucosamine and chondroitin to have optimal results.

In some of the vet clinics, they have a product called Synoquin Growth that is a special preparation meant for large breed puppies to aid in preventing Hip Dysplasia. Please go and check it out.

I suppose chicken and lamb cartilage is of no harm when they are cooked until they are really soft. The only thing is that you do not get the pure active ingredient and therefore the dog has to consume a lot to get the required amount. How much ? I really don't know.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 5, 2005, 4:39 PM

Post #3 of 7 (10049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rusty] glucosamine & puppies [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, yes i am thinking about the snyoquin(sp?) thing. probably get it this weekend.

PSY
K9 Kaki

May 24, 2005, 8:01 AM

Post #4 of 7 (9820 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kelsey,

Just going thru the threads of HD, how is your dog/puppy doing? A lot have been said but I cannot recall about anyone mentioning no slippery floors, standing on hind legs, climbing stairs, bid no no. For me I do not believe in pumping drugs and supplement into the body of a dog. I am part owner of a GR, now seven months old, no slippery floor, no stnading on hind legs and no over weight problems in fact just nice and now he is walking 2-3 clicks a day.

Too much exercise is no good too.

Hope everything is well.

All the best.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

May 24, 2005, 3:37 PM

Post #5 of 7 (9813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] glucosamine & puppies [In reply to] Can't Post

fortunately Roxy is strong and i believe not suffering from HD. my other golden has mild HD and we have put him on G & CS and he seems to be doing fine. both likes to rough it out and i am very happy that my other golden has great mobility considering he is 5 and Roxy is only 10 months.

things are going on well for both of them

Toy
K9 Maniac

May 30, 2005, 12:26 AM

Post #6 of 7 (9771 views)
Shortcut

the area that your dog used to walk is wat type of surface? some might be too slippery for a dog.

coffee

Nov 6, 2005, 3:39 AM

Post #7 of 7 (9584 views)
Shortcut

Synoquin is good. It is one of the products with highest content and purity of glucosamine. Condroitin also reasonably high. THough a bit pricy but it is good. If you really convert to the feeding cost per day not too bad and cheaper than cosequin.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my