Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Lone Walking!!!

patchy
New User

Dec 19, 2004, 7:36 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1551 views)
Shortcut
Lone Walking!!! Can't Post

Hi, I have a 6 month old JRT who loves to go for walks with the family on a weekend, unfortunately during the week when the kids are at school, hubby at work etc., he won't walk with just me!!! I take him to the same places but he just sits down and won't budge!!! Any suggestions?

Also anyone know how i can stop him pooing on my grass!

Thanks

MisterStan
Doggyman

Dec 19, 2004, 8:42 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patchy] Lone Walking!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi patchy

maybe you can make the walk more fun, by playing with your jrt. either you can use something to attract it to run, or you can encourage him to run....

maybe you can teach your jrt to poo on newspaper.. SlySlySly

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 20, 2004, 9:20 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1531 views)
Shortcut

patchy,

don't despair, we have this problem with my golden retriever, she wont walk with my husband:) but she is improving.

who does the dog always walks with? for eg if it's your hubby. then walk the dog together with your hubby for a few days and just let your hubby walk at your side and you hold the leash, let the dog walk in between the two of you. he will sure walk but looking at your hubby! if your dog has learned the "watch me" or "look" command, say this command and treat him. both command should mean to the dog, look at you in the eye.

then after that few days, ask your hubby to walk behind you and you & the dog walk in front, the dog will always turn and look for your hubby, but encourage him to walk, if need be, treat. then ask your hubby to hide behind a tree or another car. he will not notice your hubby is gone until a few minutes and he will sure sit and look for your hubby. encourage him to walk (don't treat just yet), tug the leash gently or walk away from him with you still holding the leash. if he move even 1 step, treat him. you can use positive command like "ok, let's go".

bottom line the dog don't trust you or think you are not worth listening too. once the dog trust you, walking should be both enjoyable and fulfiling for both of you.

as for pooing on the grass. i think your JRT has a specific area to poo? always praise him when he goes to this spot, if he poo on the grass, don't say anything, just pick him up and bring him to the area he is suppose to poo. if need be, then you can go to ACE Hardware, Midvalley and buy the netting, 3 meters only RM18.90 i think.

if you think this is bad, wait till your JRT enter his teenage years, he will challenge your command. work on his command everyday so he will not forget.

patchy
New User

Dec 21, 2004, 10:34 AM

Post #4 of 9 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] Lone Walking!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your advice but it doesn't seem to matter who it is, at a weekend me, hubby and 2 children go walking, my daughter tries to take him out on her own (won't walk) my hubby has tried taking him on his own (won't walk!). Yet when we are on the weekend treks ( all the family), it is always me that Patch (my JRT)looks for and waits for me if I lag behind. He just doesn't seem to like being with just one person, is this a pack thing do you think?

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 21, 2004, 4:18 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1490 views)
Shortcut

could be the pack thing, have to ask the JRT expert here.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Dec 24, 2004, 6:38 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1461 views)
Shortcut

what abt bringing him for walks just a short distance by bringing his fav stuff to 'pull' him to walk along eg : his squeaky toy, his fav treats.... just something that will attract him and he will follow on ?

cheers,
minglmy

.Lab
Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2005, 6:32 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Lone Walking!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I taught my Lab mix to 'Heel' by taking along a tasty treat for her. She'll follow and sooner or later I just pretend to pick up the treat and start walking. She'll follow eagerly. Maybe try this with your dog? My friend has a JRT who likes to bite and scratch so I don't know them that well. But I know they have acute hearing so you might use that for your advantage.

.Lab Frown Frown

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hazel = A Terror in Disguise!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2005, 10:30 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Wat an interesting trait ur JRT has…d ‘Lone Ranger’ syndrome. JRTs seldom do things 2 pls anyone as dey just dont c d point in doing so. But walking shld come naturally, whether in a group/solo. Reluctance 2 walk could b due 2 following:

1. Weather - JRTs don’t like walking in d hot sun n is likely 2 look 4 a shady area n stay put.

2. Tempo of walk - dey like 2 walk fast n faster. So any slow-mo walks are likely 2 b met with great resistance.

3. Distractions - dey r easily distracted by sound, movement n other dogs n will wanna stop 2 investigate, till satisfied.

4. Weird smells, environment or funny looking bystanders - may stop walking, tail down n gostan.

5. Purpose - does he get 2 run/play at d end of d walk? JRT thot, ‘If no play, den no pointlah’. Perhaps in a group, he knows dat he’ll get some playtime from at least 1 member of d family, whereas with 1 person it’ll probably end up just being a routine walk.

6. Establishing d top dog - how long hv u hd ur dog 4 n hv d hierarchy bn established? He may just b testing ur position as leader of d pack or trying 2 figure out who d leader is amongst ur family.

Need 2 read his body language b4 coming 2 any conclusions on d matter eg. tail, ears, posture, any tugging of leash. Well, at least he waits 4 u during treks, which is very good…already 1-up on most JRTs.

Pooing on grass is d only natural thing 2 do 4 a mutt. Better d grass den inside d house. However, u can train him 2 poo at a selected area by distinguishing d area with some sand or using a toilet training liquid stimulant available at most pet shops.

Groovy, ‘Walks = lots of smells = lots of dogs = lots of play!’

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

Sydney
Doggyman

Mar 29, 2005, 2:27 AM

Post #9 of 9 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Maybe your JRT likes kids better. Cs dogs like childrenSmile. Well, you can ignore the JRT or pretend to leave him then i guess he'll budgeSmile. Guess you'll hav 2 toilet train him instead of taking him outside to the grass areaSly

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my