Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
planning for a pup in apartment life, pls advise

dragster
Novice

Dec 16, 2004, 6:11 PM

Post #1 of 23 (3161 views)
Shortcut
planning for a pup in apartment life, pls advise Can't Post

hi all, i'm a newbie in dog owning. need some guidance here. and by the may, this website rocks!!!

i'm living in an apartment located in kota kinabalu, sabah.

my requirement would be,

1) low barking

2) easy to train

3) miniature in size

4) most important of all, cost. my budget is only 300-400.

i dont mind getting a pup without cert but what breed can i get within my budget? anyone knows any pup sellers in kota kinabalu, sabah?

please advise, thanks in advance.

babegal
Novice

Dec 17, 2004, 6:34 AM

Post #2 of 23 (3146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dragster] planning for a pup in apartment life, pls advise [In reply to] Can't Post

i can only think of min pin only....but, some of them might be a bit yappy....u need to spend more time for trainning lo...

even a poodle or shih tzu will cost u about 500 and above...according to market price...

the lowest price tat i have seen for a shih tzu is 500...maybe i m wrong..Tongue

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 17, 2004, 7:09 AM

Post #3 of 23 (3142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dragster] planning for a pup in apartment life, pls advise [In reply to] Can't Post

very difficult to get a pet of that price esp pure bred. and u get what u pay for. the pup maybe cheap but it may be a reason why it's cheap and going to and fro to the vet, the cost will probably be more expensive than getting a good pure bred dog at a marginal market price. yes i was also thinking of min pin. but in USA, these dogs are used for deaf ppl cause their bark is really high pitch.

check with ur apartment first if a dog is ok. most importantly u don;t want to lose your lease. i also think of miniature poodle but they can be quite a barker. most toy dogs can bark non stop the whole day so be careful.

if u want free pet, try and check SPCA in sabah, there are probably many dogs there waiting to be adopted and remember puppy take a lot of time and energy. do u want to deal with the puppy stage ie housebreaking, chewing stage, seeking attention constantly, monitoring closely what they are doing, paying for vaccination, grooming and all others? these are also things to consider seeing that you are new in dog owning. dogs require proper training to live harmoniously with the owner. sometimes getting an adult dog that is half way trained is better.

so maybe u can look into min pin or toy poodle, shih tzu also very popular breed. ask the toy group owners and see if the dogs are ok in apt? pugs seems good too and chihuahua are cheap to feed. most large breed are the ones quiet, they seldom bark and always seems content with a kong filled with treat or a good chew toy.Tongue

carienna
Canine Addict

Dec 17, 2004, 5:17 PM

Post #4 of 23 (3140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] planning for a pup in apartment life, pls advise [In reply to] Can't Post

Min Pin would be a real barking dog! ahahha!!! ;)

Better do enough survey before really getting one...

I would agree to say that you really gotta check to see if you are actually allowed to keep dogs in your apartment or not.

Good luck!

Frown

Golden Retrievers & Miniature Schnauzer are SIMPLY the BEST!!!!!!!

dragster
Novice

Dec 17, 2004, 5:54 PM

Post #5 of 23 (3134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carienna] planning for a pup in apartment life, pls advise [In reply to] Can't Post

actually, i'm supposed to have dogs in my apartment, that's why i'm looking for a low barking pup/dog.

till now, i've shortlisted to a 2 breeds, PUG & MALTESE. Shih Tzu are barkers so i've excluded it.

what go you think? actually, my budget can go up to 1K if necessary but its impossible to find these pups here in Kota Kinabalu. anyone can help?

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 17, 2004, 6:10 PM

Post #6 of 23 (3125 views)
Shortcut

look in newspaper or call MKA, they should be able to give you list of breeder in sabah. sorry i don;t have MKa number.

i suggest u also look up these 2 breeds, they are both very different maltese with the long hair, so u have to have time for grooming and pug can get eye disease easily cause of the bulging eye. look up the temperament, health issues, grooming, how much food they will eat. also check the trainability. i can't say much about those 2 breeds as i have a large dogs but i believe the underline of all dog owners need to know is what i have listed above, i am sure there is more points to consider.

i am not saying u would be a bad owner, but the worst case scenario, you may not be able to handle the dog of ur choice and have to give her up. so do your research prior to buying ok.

ohh..better get from breeder than petshop cause of price & health issues. also u can go to petshop that sell these 2 breed and just mingle with them and see how u feel. don't tell the shop keeper that u don't want to buy it lah but by spending a few minutes with the dogs, it may give u a rough idea on how they are.

carienna
Canine Addict

Dec 18, 2004, 12:52 AM

Post #7 of 23 (3106 views)
Shortcut

When my sis was still in Malaysia, she was living in Malacca and bought a shihtzu, but the shihtzu is not noisy, even when he's in the cage. I used to have shihtzus at home. I realised they only bark when they are in the cage and wants to come out and play. Other than that, shihtzu is very tame and manja kind of dog. After all small breed dogs do make much noisy compare to small breeds.. hahahah!!

If you would like to call MKA like Kelsey introduced, I have the number...

Frown

Golden Retrievers & Miniature Schnauzer are SIMPLY the BEST!!!!!!!

dragster
Novice

Dec 19, 2004, 6:58 PM

Post #8 of 23 (3093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] planning for a pup in apartment life, pls advise [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the kind advice. i recently got a pup, the owner said its maltese mix breed. she said the other parent is a small sized dog with the description of a "hu-li-gou" mandarin for wolf-like-dog.

its 2 months old according to the owner. took the pup for vaccination yesterday and i asked the vet what mix what breed is my dog and the vet replied maltese mix pekinese.

took it for parasite injection as the stools are of clear gell-ish with some traces of blood. the vet told me to visit him for 2 more injection on tomorrow and day after tomorrow.

i here attach some pics of my pup, named him Rambo.

dragster
Novice

Dec 19, 2004, 7:03 PM

Post #9 of 23 (3091 views)
Shortcut

my Rambo
Attachments: 5.JPG (24.5 KB)
  4.JPG (22.2 KB)
  3.JPG (20.4 KB)
  2.JPG (21.8 KB)
  1.JPG (19.9 KB)

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 19, 2004, 7:08 PM

Post #10 of 23 (3089 views)
Shortcut

oh congrats on the new pup. hmm blood in stool. sounds like intestinal problems.

congrats again, read on about peke and maltese so you know how they are ok.

good luck!Smile

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 20, 2004, 5:40 AM

Post #11 of 23 (3079 views)
Shortcut

oh he looks adorable!

it's easier and nicer to have dogs in sabah & sarawak as people are more open there. it's harder here in west malaysia.

p/s - i am from sarawak.

dragster
Novice

Dec 20, 2004, 6:51 PM

Post #12 of 23 (3061 views)
Shortcut

yeah, he's quite cute but he's been giving me sleepless nights since saturday. my eyes has dark ring now. she's been barking non-stop everynight. he's not been potty trained yet so i cant let him out at night.

sigh.....

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 20, 2004, 9:04 PM

Post #13 of 23 (3055 views)
Shortcut

well that is puppy life for you. they are like babies. toy dog tend to bark more than medium or large breed dogs. dont know if they want extra attention.

get a good training good ASAP. also did you read on the two breeds? it should give you an idea how they are. buy him a crate so he can call this place home. for the 1st few nights, put the crate in your room and but let him sleep in the crate. if he make noise, just lightly tap the crate. put on some soft music. never ever ever let him out of the crate if he is whining / barking when he is fed, has gone done his pee/poo. this in the long run will teach him, barking - out of the crate.

potty training takes patience. a general rule of thumb, bring him out after nap, sleep, play, exercise also if he start to sniff the ground, bring him out immediately, praise him when he does his pee where u want him to do. if need be, even treat him.

training starts immediately, dont give up on him.

dragster
Novice

Dec 20, 2004, 11:44 PM

Post #14 of 23 (3045 views)
Shortcut

yeah, i've done some research on housebreaking. more or less the same thing. i understand that the like to pee/poo where they peed/pood before. thus the newspaper method.

but for now, i'm trying not to confine him in the cage(in the cage, i provide water, food, cloths, bed & toys) as i did for the last 2 days. i'll now be converting the kitchen into his den. will clean up the stuffs that might be dangerous to him. will also place his bed(a basket with some cloths) there and also some newspaper which he'd peed on before. will also place some toys in the kitchen. but i'll be fencing the kitchen area so that he cannot leave the kitchen and damage the rest of the apartment.

but basically, i wont be taking him out for any walk as its not allowed to have dogs in my apartment, so i think i'll only be taking him to the newspaper spot for him to pee & poo there.

hope he'll let me have a good night's sleep tonight. very sleepy now, got headache somemore..... sigh..... i was told that due to the very young age of my pup, which is 2 months old, it'll need companionship during the night, cos it was separated from its mother & siblings. i nothiced it cries, barks & howls during nightime. whenever i wake up to go near him, he'll be quiet & wants to come out by scratching the cage and crying. but afer a while, he'll go to sleep. then i'll go back to bed. but when he wakes up, he'll start to cry & bark & howl again.

he's here in my office room now, lucky its my own business. though he's confined to a box, he's not making any noise since this morning as he can see me whenever he climbs up the box's top opening. i think he's really lonely, scared & homesick.

he's cute when he's not making noise, but when he does, i feel like giving him away... i'm so stressed out.... all i need from him is to be quiet at night....

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 21, 2004, 1:15 AM

Post #15 of 23 (3039 views)
Shortcut

well you are lucky doing home business. when my Roxy was 8 weeks, she whine and cry, she don't really bark but you can hear her crying outside. so we decided to place her crate in our room and she is fine as she can see me from her crate even when i sleep. one good thing about her is she don't really bark unless she needs too so we are still ok in our condo with the dog..Sly

never feel tempted to put him in bed with you ok. yes he is scared cause being away from sibling and mother. also maybe it may help to place a teddy bear in the cage if he is sleeping. sometimes the cage being big can be frightening. well u r working at home, don't crate him when you are in the house, only when you are going to bed.

just be patient, when Roxy cries in the night when she was younger, i wanted to give up too but my hubby told me it was just a phase and i am glad it was. you can also try "sayang" him before he go into his crate.

during the day, teach him quiet and reward him, right now he thinks you are going to leave him, so once he gained trust, you will be fine.

chnyuppie
Dog Kichi

Dec 21, 2004, 6:24 PM

Post #16 of 23 (3020 views)
Shortcut

Hi dragster

Yeah.. i think u need to hang in there and not give in to your dog's whining and barking.

When we first had our pup, he was giving us a bit of a problem. When we go to bed, we would leave him in his designated area in the apartment. He would then whine and cry. But when he did that, we would ignore him totally. We have learnt that to respond to his whinging and crying wehther by admonishing him or worse, by letting out of his designated area, would teach him that his whining/crying would achieve something.

His whining.crying went on for about 3 nights. Then for about 1 week after that, it was reduced intermittently. Now he doesn;t do it anymore.

Of course when u leave him alone, pls make sure he has got some comfort stuff with him, ie. enough water, some toys and a radio on. Good luck! THings would turn out for the better!

dragster
Novice

Dec 21, 2004, 7:49 PM

Post #17 of 23 (3017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chnyuppie] planning for a pup in apartment life, pls advise [In reply to] Can't Post

actually i dont work at home. i own my own business, so i can bring my pup to office without any problem.

now my pup rambo is in the kitchen which i converted into his den. placed his bed, toys, water, food and some baby pads(anakku brand) for pee/poo and i played him celine dion's album. he didnt make any noise last night, phew. havent had a good night's sleep since i got him last saturday. so relieved that he's cool now.

thank you all so much for your advices.

ho-kia
Novice

Jan 7, 2005, 11:50 PM

Post #18 of 23 (2932 views)
Shortcut

hii .. did u buy it or get it for free ? I'm looking for one also .... if buy, how much is it? where ?

bettynnf
Novice

Mar 30, 2005, 6:50 AM

Post #19 of 23 (2681 views)
Shortcut

Hi Dragster,

I'm also from Sabah, Which part of sabah you live?? Me from KK, likas.!!!

But now i'm staying in KL, work here!! I have two dogs, ECS & Dachshund!!! I live in apartment too!!!

Hope can keep in touch with you!!!1

cheers... betty!!!

dragster
Novice

Apr 2, 2005, 11:52 PM

Post #20 of 23 (2634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bettynnf] planning for a pup in apartment life, pls advise [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi Dragster,

I'm also from Sabah, Which part of sabah you live?? Me from KK, likas.!!!

But now i'm staying in KL, work here!! I have two dogs, ECS & Dachshund!!! I live in apartment too!!!

Hope can keep in touch with you!!!1

cheers... betty!!!

contact me at 016-8373239 anytime BlushLaugh i'm in penampang Wink

aliciakok
Novice

May 7, 2005, 12:51 AM

Post #21 of 23 (2501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bettynnf] planning for a pup in apartment life, pls advise [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Betty,

Read that you hv dashunds and live in an apartment. I am living in a condo and looking for a breed. Can you tell me how dashunds are in terms of barking, size and shedding?

Alicia

bettynnf
Novice

May 7, 2005, 7:07 AM

Post #22 of 23 (2496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aliciakok] planning for a pup in apartment life, pls advise [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Alicia...

actually you know what is Dachshund look like???

My dachshund is not backing for nothing, at least got ppl stay in front my door!

Dachshund is very smart gun dog, is depen how you train!

Cheers...

Betty

aliciakok
Novice

May 7, 2005, 5:20 PM

Post #23 of 23 (2491 views)
Shortcut

yes! short legs and long body....to be precise a sausage dog.

they are rather huge....so i'm wondering how you keep that it an apt....? however they are rather quite....maybe I have been meeting the nicer ones...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my