Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Vaccination:
How many jabs does a puppy require?

michelleteh
Dog Kichi

Dec 10, 2004, 8:13 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2583 views)
Shortcut
How many jabs does a puppy require? Can't Post

I need some clarification on this. What is the total jabs a pup below 1 year requires?

According to the vaccn. cert given by my breeder, the first jab was given on 8 Oct. Next dose due on 22 Oct but the breeder asked me to go on 9 Nov.

However, I brought my dog to the vet (not the one from the breeder) on 4 Nov and was given 1 dose. Next dose on 30 Nov.

On 30 Nov, he was given one dose again which I consider should be the 3rd and last jab. But he wrote down the next dose on 26 Dec.

Altogether my dog will be given 4 jabs. I read in some of the postings that only 3 jabs will be given and then booster once a year.

So.... 3 jabs or 4 jabs? Could it be due to the delay on the second jab (according the the vet should be 26 days after each dose) my dog has to start his 3 vaccinations all over again?

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 10, 2004, 8:58 PM

Post #2 of 8 (2576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michelleteh] How many jabs does a puppy require? [In reply to] Can't Post

so many jab??

there is 3 sets of 6 in 1 jab but now they introduce 7 + 1 the extra is for corona virus.

the jabs are taken 4 weeks apart. so ur breeder is correct, to ask u to go on 9th Nov. don;t know why u have 4 jabs wor..sometimes though, some vet break down the 6 in 1 into 3 in 1 or something like that. so have to check with ur vet lah.

chrisong
Doggyman

Dec 10, 2004, 9:48 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michelleteh] How many jabs does a puppy require? [In reply to] Can't Post

Total 3 Vacination are required. If you are not sure your breeder got give the 1st injection. To be safe you can give 1 more injection also can.

1st injection 6 in 1 when your puppy is around 8 month old.

2nd injection 6 in 1 when your puppy is around 11 month old.

3rd and last injection 6 in 1 when your puppy is around 14 month old (optional coruna virus-7 in 1). Then follow up with the annual injection/boosters 6 in 1 or 7 in 1.

Hope this help.

michelleteh
Dog Kichi

Dec 11, 2004, 3:51 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] [kelsey] How many jabs does a puppy require? [In reply to] Can't Post

Chris, I think it should be 8, 11, 14 weeks instead of months?

Well,

The first jab from the breeder is a 6 in 1: distemper, adenovirus Type 2, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus, Leptospira Canicola, Icterohaemorrhagiae Bacterin

The other 2 jabs from my vet is a 5 in 1: distemper, adenovirus Type 2, Parainfluenza, parvovirus, Leptospira Bacterin

I read that it is possible to upgrade but not down grade the vaccn. Is that true?

I've checked with my vet and was told that a pup needs to be vaccinated till he is 4 or 5 months. Let's say if the first jab was given earlier, means the pup will require jabs every 26 days till 4 months.

chrisong
Doggyman

Dec 11, 2004, 6:58 AM

Post #5 of 8 (2551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michelleteh] [kelsey] How many jabs does a puppy require? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hahaha Sorry ar. I blur blur already. Hahaha. Yes it should be week not month. LOL

For down grade or up grade vaccine I not sure..... Maybe someone will answer you this.

Forget about what the vet told you about the period of vacination. Just follow the 8, 11 & 14 weeks vacination then follow by annual boosters.

madmoz

Apr 16, 2005, 3:25 AM

Post #6 of 8 (2377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] [kelsey] How many jabs does a puppy require? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! My puppy was vaccinated at 6 weeks, a booster at 8 weeks, his 2nd shot at 10 weeks (and something called pneumodog - painful injection that caused localised swelling for two days Crazy) and is due for a blood test two weeks from now?

Unimpressed?

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 16, 2005, 6:09 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [madmoz] [kelsey] How many jabs does a puppy require? [In reply to] Can't Post

Which vet you go lar? Potong ur neck already.Frown How come so early injection wan. Sumore got blood test for what purpose? And also injection caused localised swelling for two day!!!Pirate

Better seek other vet advise So that you know what to do.

.Lab
Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2005, 1:11 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michelleteh][madmoz] How many jabs does a puppy require? [In reply to] Can't Post

Waah.. scary. My dog took her jab on the 19th of February and deworming. Went back for the jab at 19th of March, with deworming. Tommorrow another jab but took the deworming on the 19th ((Vet only appears on Saturdays)).

.Lab Frown Frown

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hazel = A Terror in Disguise!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my