Please help with skin problem!

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 9, 2004, 5:50 AM

Post #1 of 13 (2783 views)
Shortcut
Please help with skin problem! Can't Post

Hello...

I'm currently foster caring a mongrel pup for a friend. The pup was picked up as a stray and di not show any signs of bad skin, only a few bald pacthes which the vet diagnosis as fungus... after 2 weeks of taking fungus pills and bathing in sulphur shampoo, I realise his skin has not healed or imporve but became worst!!! What's the problem?

He now seems to be getting sores on his body... small areas and the sores are cound... like 5 cent coin or smaller and the sores are scabby, some yellowish brown and some look red... are these hotspots? He doesn't itch I think..... in some areas, the skin is a bit flaky...

I'm afraid it's mange but not sure what kind..... I can't take him to the vet now, only next week coz of transportation problem.... anyway, is it mange? Coz he used to stay with another puppy that has mange but I never let them mix around and I separate them in cages.... The puppy with mange was almost healed..... the lil fella tha I have now don't have the same signs like the mangy puppy..... the pup with mange had hairless places(big patches), very flaky skin and was smelly and had reddish skin...

Please help....

Thanks!

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 9, 2004, 9:29 AM

Post #2 of 13 (2772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Please help with skin problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi CrazyMouse ...

Your post in the other thread says:

" ... My friends and I found a 5 week old puppy with mange... it's called scabies I think. Anyway, the vet only gace some pills and an injection, no shampoo or dips? So I ask another vet, she sold me sulphur shampoo to bath it with ... I'm caring for the pup now and in my care, I have 2 puppies, The other pup is a 3 month old puppy, brought him to the vet and was told he has fungus so the vet gave some pills and a jab. Although only 3 days after the vet visit, the pup now has new hairless sores, some got brownish crusty spots... at first he only had 3 hairless small spots... now got 4 more whihc are sither yellowins or brownish crusty spots..... so is it mange? He is also under the sulphur shampoo ..."

And my response was:

Scabies or sarcoptic mange is very infectious ... Your vet should also have told you that to control sarcoptic mange, you must do the following:

(a) Clean, disinfect the floor, all bedding, towels ... etc ... (b) You must keep the infected pup separate from other animals. Pups particularly are easily infected by sarcoptic mange.

You should NOT keep a pup with scabies together with other pups ... Scarcoptic mange can also affect people - so be careful and make sure you wash your hands after handling the pup.

Check these websites:

www.critturs.com/mange2.html

www.google.com.my/search?hl=en&q=Scabies+scarcoptic+mange+&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

I think you had better take ALL the pups to the vet and have them examined.

Please read the websites provided above ... I also posted that keeping the pups a few inches apart may not isolate the mange, especially if you are not careful, and you (or anyone else) handle one pup after the other ... humans can be the vector that pass the mange from one pup to another!!!

The symptoms you describe sound suspiciously like sarcoptic mange infection ... A vet please - you need to get the pup to a vet ... borrow a car, borrow a friend - anything ... get your pup to a vet ...

And this time - remember to ask the vet how to control & prevent the spreading of scabies.

You seriously need to clean up all the areas where your pups have been, including all bedding, towels etc etc ...

Crazy

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 9, 2004, 9:33 AM)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 10, 2004, 4:32 AM

Post #3 of 13 (2752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Please help with skin problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

surchinmy,

Yes, I have cleaned all areas with Bayticol solution and washed all the cages.... BoyBoy only got this problem after the pup with mange went away... The pup with mange has been adopted and is not with me anymore but has already seen the vets good to know her skin has recovered...from what I heard from the new owners lah...

Just that I thought it would be something else other than mange so wanted someone to tell me forst... if like that then I'll try to get a car and bring him to a vet. Thanks for helping me.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 10, 2004, 6:27 PM

Post #4 of 13 (2736 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Bayticol is good ...

The danger is ... the scabies mites are stuborn little bu*gers ... and if the dog with mange was in your house AT THE SAME TIME as BoyBoy - and because you were only keeping them apart by inches - the mites can easily have passed from the other dog to BoyBoy - and BoyBoy is only now showing serious symptoms of infection ...

Basically - over the Forum - without being able to see BoyBoy - no one can tell you for sure whether or not BoyBoy has scabies or some other skin condition ... Which is why I suggested you take BoyBoy to the vet ASAP ...

If BoyBoy is diagnosed with scabies - you need to do all that cleaning all over again. And you need to clean regularly until the scabies infection is completely gone.

Alll the best

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 10, 2004, 9:56 PM

Post #5 of 13 (2732 views)
Shortcut

Ok... Thanks for your help. I will be bathing BoyBoy with a Bayticol solution coz he's 4 months old....vet said can coz bayticol can use for 3 month old puppy. Thanks for you advice, I now keep the other pups far from him....

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 10, 2004, 10:39 PM

Post #6 of 13 (2727 views)
Shortcut

Ah ... if you are taking the dog to the vet ... then visit the vet FIRST before bathing the dog ... let the vet run the tests before doing anything else, otherwise your tests may be inaccurate.

Cheers

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 10, 2004, 10:49 PM

Post #7 of 13 (2719 views)
Shortcut

Oh... ok... luckily I haven't bath him yet.....

Thanks!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 10, 2004, 11:26 PM

Post #8 of 13 (2712 views)
Shortcut

All the best - keeping fingers crossed that it is nothing serious ... and no more mange infection ...

Cheers

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jan 23, 2005, 5:16 AM

Post #9 of 13 (2600 views)
Shortcut

Hi Surchinmy,

Would just like to tell you some news... the puppy that had the small bald spots... it's not mange and after eating some antibiotics, he has now a very glossy coat and a happy home too coz he got adopted by a loving family.

The other young puppy with mange, well, she also got aodpted by a family. Has fully recovered from mange has a full furry coat again.... Thanks for all of your advice!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 25, 2005, 1:16 AM

Post #10 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Glad to hear the good news ... and glad both pups are well ...

You are most welcome ... but it is not my suggestions that make the difference, it's people who care enough - like you ... well done! Smile

Cheers

meidy
Novice

Feb 21, 2005, 8:26 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2421 views)
Shortcut

The other dog had demodrctic mange, this is not contagious!

If your dog has funggus, yeast infection, or ringworm, you must change the diet. Those skin disorders are immune system related.

Get more info about dog rashes and dog skin disorders here:

http://www.doggiesparadise.com/...skin-disorders.shtml

Here you also will find a foto how scabies looks.

Regards Angie
Behaviorist and Health Practitioner

nutritional supplement for dogs skin disorders

dogs scabies rashes

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 21, 2005, 8:59 PM

Post #12 of 13 (2414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meidy] Please help with skin problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, thank you for the info. Really helps me alot!!!!

sheilakhiew
Dog Kichi

May 16, 2005, 11:18 PM

Post #13 of 13 (2211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meidy] Please help with skin problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHello & Hi Ms Angie

First of all, I would like to say a big thank you for your information from the website that you have given to anor member on this dog lovers' forum regarding demodrctic mange.

Cos' I have an english cocker spaniel name Tammy (1 yr & 1 mth) who has been having this problem about 2 months ago and I have been asking around for help on this.

I have bring her to see the vet many times but also a big thank you to my vet who is a nice gentleman on helping my Tammy on this problem. But the demodrctic mange still remains.

It's really breaks my heart to see my Tammy like this cos' I really love her very much and she is like one of my children.

I've been searching high and low (also scratching my head and hair - soon be balded) for help and information on this mange problem.

Luckily today I read thru this forum and found something helpful and interesting on this mange problem.

Could I ask sometimes write to you on this related or other matters regarding my pets?

I have anor 2 more pets (but luckily they have no problem).

Once again thank you very much.

Rgds

SHEILASmile

SlyLaughSmile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my