Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
My ECS pup is scratching himself too often!

jomeng
Dog Kichi

Feb 25, 2003, 5:00 PM

Post #1 of 19 (1970 views)
Shortcut
My ECS pup is scratching himself too often! Can't Post

Haloo....

I wound like to need some opinions and advices here about itchiness on my new ECS pup (6 weeks old). His name is Bobbie Wink. This is his 3rd day with me. For the 1st day, I noticed him scratching alot on his neck and also biting on his legs with his teeth. I was worried dat he might have worms under his skins dat might cause the itchiness. I took him to the Vet yesterday evening and was diagnose with Ear Mites that is causing my pup to scratch his neck...Have to drop some medicine into his ears for 1 week to kill the mites tho!..Unsure..poor thing....He was very uncomfortable when he is itchy. But, why is he biting his legs?...seems itchy..and sumtimes he would scratch his back and I notice some dandruff. Why is it like dat huh?...Izzit becoz of his dry skin dat causing him to itch....Mmmm..Unsure

dick, jomeng & bobbie

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 25, 2003, 5:30 PM

Post #2 of 19 (1965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jomeng] My ECS pup is scratching himself too often! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi jomeng,

It could be due to food allergies...

What food are you giving him ? Did you get him from the breeder? If so, check with the breeder what's the recommended food for his ECS litter.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

jomeng
Dog Kichi

Feb 26, 2003, 2:08 AM

Post #3 of 19 (1948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] My ECS pup is scratching himself too often! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie Cdmoo

Yah, I'm giving the same food as the breeder gave him.Smile. Is it becoz of the new towel (I didn't wash it after I baught it) dat I use for him to sleep in his crate?...

dick, jomeng & bobbie

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 28, 2003, 7:24 AM

Post #4 of 19 (1932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jomeng] My ECS pup is scratching himself too often! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi !

My puppy is now 8 weeks + and she seems to be scratching herself quite often too...Do you think I should take her to the vet ?

cheers,
minglmy

jomeng
Dog Kichi

Feb 28, 2003, 6:37 PM

Post #5 of 19 (1928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] My ECS pup is scratching himself too often! [In reply to] Can't Post

I juz brought Bobbie to the vet yesterday. According to the vet, bobbie has dry skin and probably the shampoo we are using to bathe him is not suitable for him. He prescribed us a medicated shampoo... But I can see bobbie dun really scratch dat often. Have to observe longer though. Smile...

dick, jomeng & bobbie

wlaiwan
Dog Kichi

Feb 28, 2003, 6:43 PM

Post #6 of 19 (1928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] My ECS pup is scratching himself too often! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie all,

Here's my 2 cents worth :)

Causes are varied, ranging from sensitivities of flea-bites, food or airborne allergies, vaccinations reactions , environment or even diets. Do you see anything unsual on your pup?

In my case, erm, my dog's case, she usually develops small red bumps. Once it was food allergy - chicken. Jomeng, since you are feeding your pup the same brand, personally, I'd rule out the food. Also, due to presence of ear mites I's suspect there's something else underneath the paws.

I'd be careful about the towel as you won't know what 'lives' there. If there were unwanted micro-organisms on your pup, the chances of them hanging to the towel and then 'migrate' back to your pup is pretty high rite?

Regards
wlaiwan & sidnee

jomeng
Dog Kichi

Feb 28, 2003, 7:34 PM

Post #7 of 19 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wlaiwan] My ECS pup is scratching himself too often! [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, everything must be squeky clean! Puppis are really sensitive huhTongue Will do all the cleaning again this weekend. Didn't have much time to do all the cleaning at home...as I'm those who comes back late from work...gah~...Crazy...But bobbie is getting better Smile Thanks for ur opinion ! Cool

dick, jomeng & bobbie

wkser
ALPHA

Feb 28, 2003, 7:41 PM

Post #8 of 19 (1919 views)
Shortcut

hi,

maybe you should clean up the place you dog sleep more often ....and make sure you dun bathe your puppi to often ...maybe just once a week will do not more then that...if they are dirty or smelly just wash them with water that will do.....

regards
kangser and nous

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 1, 2003, 4:56 AM

Post #9 of 19 (1907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wlaiwan] My ECS pup is scratching himself too often! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi wlaiwan,

Thanks for the infos...

The thing is her cloth which she sleeps in is being washed every morning, her bed is being sun every day, newspaper changes 2 - 3 times perday. Takes bath almost every 2 days - those which is medicated ones to prevent flea & ticks.

I have checked her and there doesn't seems to have any allergies like red bumps and etc...I dunno if the scratching cud be due to collar which I have bought for her but even before I gives her the collar she was also scratching herself.

She also likes to nibble/bite on her legs. Cud this be something ? I wish there is some easier spot symptoms to see...

cheers,
minglmy

jomeng
Dog Kichi

Mar 1, 2003, 4:52 PM

Post #10 of 19 (1905 views)
Shortcut

yeah...my bobbie also having the same problems. Scratching, nibbling and biting his legs...Crazy. Vet said nothing wrong...mmmmm....
and bobbie loves to tears off newspaper and eventually...eating them when i'm not around...Izzit harmful for puppies like him eating newspaper into his tummy?

dick, jomeng & bobbie

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 2, 2003, 6:08 AM

Post #11 of 19 (1901 views)
Shortcut

oh well, I do hope that nothing is wrong with her...Anyway, jomeng, where r u from ?

cheers,
minglmy

jomeng
Dog Kichi

Mar 3, 2003, 4:26 PM

Post #12 of 19 (1893 views)
Shortcut

Hie Minglmy...

Bobbie is still itching here and there...scaling on his body! Guess he still couldn't adapt to the new environment Crazy. By the way, I'm staying in Menara Duta in Segambut. Originated from Melaka Wink...but currently working in Plaza Mont' Kiara Angelic....How about u?

dick, jomeng & bobbie

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 4, 2003, 8:50 AM

Post #13 of 19 (1878 views)
Shortcut

Hiya !

I'm staying in PJ @ SS2 and is working in Sect 13. veery near to your work place. What line are you in ? I think most of the offices in Plaza Mont Kiara is into IT line right ?

cheers !

cheers,
minglmy

jomeng
Dog Kichi

Mar 5, 2003, 5:37 PM

Post #14 of 19 (1869 views)
Shortcut

Hahah...nolah..I'm in a design agency. Working as a web/multimedia/graphic designer Wink...

dick, jomeng & bobbie

bomberZ

Mar 17, 2003, 11:35 PM

Post #15 of 19 (1845 views)
Shortcut

hi everybody,

this is my first posting after having an ECS for about a month now. he is 8 months old and i get him cos his owner migrated.

I had the same problem as u jomeng, my ECS is scratching himself a lot too. He would "grind" himself on the wall or the floor most of the time. He love to grind on grass. I wonder is this because of allegry? I am currently feeding him California Natural Lamb and Rice Meal. The other similiar issues i had is that he like to lick his toes and i can see a red "lump" in between his toes. There is 1 in his front left leg and 1 at his rear left leg. What is that "lump"? Finally his also had a big lump on his back. Something like a pimple. What is that too?

Fyi, he was on pedigree before i got him. Now i am mixing pedigree with cali natural.But he dont like it very much. Sometime he just wont eat. And i last thing, i just give him a deworm pill last weekend. So far no worm on his stool. That mean no bad worm in his stomach right? Then why is he not eating?

I wonder any of u guy could help me out here.

thanks u very much.

jomeng
Dog Kichi

Mar 18, 2003, 12:12 AM

Post #16 of 19 (1840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bomberZ] My ECS pup is scratching himself too often! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie bomberz!

First of all, welcome to the forum! The people here are very helpful and friendly and will try to help if they could Wink. Anyway, I juz brought my ECS puppy to the vet for the 2nd time regarding his skin problem which is the scratching. The first visit to the vet said dat it's probably due to the new environment when I brought him home and thus he ended up with dry skin which makes him itchy. My puppy was given medication for his dry and sensitive skin which is in tablet form and he is still on the medicine till today.

After 2 weeks +, he is still scratching himself very often...or in other words, getting more serious when I notice blood/watery wound resulting from the scratching on his body and near his mouth Crazy...In no time, I took him again to the vet and this time, the doc said it's mange, a kind of skin disease. You can refer to the previous topic of skin diseases in this section of the forum. It's in page 7 and 8. But the best thing to do is to bring ur ECS to the vet. It's very painful when you see them scratching with their sad looking face....Unimpressed....

Anyway, hope this can give you some ideas on what to do next Cool. My ECS is giving me quite a lot of problem when I brought him back when he's only 6 weeks old....But now he's already 2 months old!...Getting smarter there..but still couldn't do his toilet training perfect! Cheers!

Jomeng & Bobbie

dick, jomeng & bobbie

wlaiwan
Dog Kichi

Mar 21, 2003, 7:50 PM

Post #17 of 19 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bomberZ] My ECS pup is scratching himself too often! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi bomnerZ

Sidnee had the same problem before we took her to the vet. I suspect there may be an underlying skin problem & secondary bacterial infection. The big bump on the leg may have to be punctured before it gets better. Sidnee had one that was punctured twice before it can be reduced to the size of a tiny dot. Unfortunately on her other one, there's a visible bump but too small so we just leave it there. I try to prevent Sidnee from licking her paws as she will swallow the bacts in. Although we don't see it with our naked eyes, if you magnify a sample under the microscope the chances are you will see some crawlies there. Hope this helps Smile

Regards
wlaiwan & sidnee

bomberZ

Mar 24, 2003, 8:42 PM

Post #18 of 19 (1811 views)
Shortcut

thanks joomeng and wlaiwan for your reply. really appreicate your help.

my mom had puncture one of the big bump between Boo toes(btw sorry forgot to intro my dog. His name is Boo), then she apply some blue lotion to it. There is like another 2-3 more bump. I think i should puncture it 1 by 1 so that he is not in too much pain. As for the bump/baterial infection at his body, it sort of like dry up a bit with some white flakes as i apply some yellow lotion to it. Btw it is save to use all these medicine mean for human to our dog? wlaiwan, when u puncture those bump on Sidnee, do u apply any medicine to it?

bomberZ

wlaiwan
Dog Kichi

Mar 26, 2003, 10:06 PM

Post #19 of 19 (1801 views)
Shortcut

When the bumps are punctured, the doc will bandage sidnee's paw after applying cream on it. This is to prevent her from licking the punctured bump. I get the cream from the vet.

wlaiwan & sidnee

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my