Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
my puppy (7mos) shreds everything only when I am away, why?

Tatiana
Novice

Feb 23, 2003, 6:04 PM

Post #1 of 2 (934 views)
Shortcut
my puppy (7mos) shreds everything only when I am away, why? Can't Post

my puppy is 7 months old and he is a very loving puppy. he is rotty & dalmation mix.
I am 9 months pregnant with first child, and have 2 dogs, 1 ferret and a snake. I am afraid at the rate is going i will have to get rid of the puppy because i have too much on my hands....I dont want to but everytime i leave he gets on the counters and pulls stuff off(even glass cups,and pans), he tears up my peruvian artifacts and everything else, he gets in the trash, gets on the bed even though he knows he's not supposed to. The worst thing is, that he knows he's not supposed to do things because he won't do it when me or my husband is home, only if we are gone or sleeping. Plus he knows he messes up because i have spanked him for all this and now if i yell he gets scared...I feel bad for that but I can't be constatly cleaning up after the dog all the time because i am going to have a baby soon and enough to deal with him. So I am thinking the best thing for me to do is to get rid of him (shelter or someone willing to take him) because maybe they can give him the attention that he needs and that I can't give him.
I am so confused on what to do. I want to be able to leave the dogs out of the crate and go to work and come home and nothing be shredded all over my apt.
I know many dogs who don't do that and all I want is a good natured dog. I know he is a puppy but still there has to be a way of stopping this because I am already getting rid of my ferret, one of the dogs definatly stays and the snake stays too because she needs hardly any attention, and i am thinking about getting rid of the puppy to make my life easier, plus think about the baby (for those of you who have kids). From what I am told its going to be hell for a while getting used to the baby. If all I have is one well behaved dog and a snake, i think it would be easier. But I dont' want to regret getting rid of my pup, please anyone out there give me advice on what I should do .
Thank You.

Carine

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Feb 24, 2003, 6:03 PM

Post #2 of 2 (921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tatiana] my puppy (7mos) shreds everything only when I am away, why? [In reply to] Can't Post

Feel sad to hear that you are thinking to giv your pup away..Frown I understand how you feel because my pup JOJO also very naughty and extremely aggressive. Honestly speaking, I did think of give her away when he young time behave over aggressive, but when I think of the joy time she brought to me and my hubby then I try to control my temper. Sometimes pup will behave more naughty (depends which type of breed too? I guess) because I think one of the reason is their teeth? They fell itchy need to bite things.. and my pup. I know she do all that (naughty stuffs like what u mentioned) is to get my attention. She will be naughty when times she wants to go out.. park or poo or water empty or whatever..

For your case, I guess is difficult for you to start training your pup right now coz you are pregnant. If your hubby free may be he can start training him? Take him out for a walk after dinner tog. with you ( I Guess in this way all of yours will be benefit?) If still can not solve the prob. with no choice I guess temporary you should put on a chain or crate? Until times he is more mature then u release him free..

I guess if one day u just spent one to two hours tog. with him then surely can improve his temper.. coz he just want attention. Somehow, they r dogs, they will behave like dogs i.e. digging, biting, chewing,barking, tug clothes..etc.

I guess most dogs the same? Those you saw with 'good natured / good behave' dogs because behind it, their owner had spent alots of affort and times to train them / spent times with them.....How good temper a dog is will ends up a mad dog if we chain them 24 hrs with no attention.

This is only my opinion, I just wish you don't easily give up and thinking to giv him away. I guess definately he will feel sad for leaving you and pls think of the great time he brought to you.Wink
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my