Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Worms in Dog:
deworming - but no worms

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Nov 15, 2004, 6:27 AM

Post #1 of 11 (3810 views)
Shortcut
deworming - but no worms Can't Post

this is probably stupid but i wanted to make sure.

my 16 weeks golden have been dewormed every month since we got her. the first time we dewormed her was when she was 3 months, yes she has worms. we dewormed her recently and there is no worms!!! we give her heartworm tablets that also will kill some kind of other worms but no worms in stool. we gave her the usual de-worming tablet a few days after the heartworm tablet. no worms come out.

appetite is normal, activity level - high, is this normal, de-worming and no worms come out?

also i should de-worm her every month till she is 1 year and then 3 months once right?

replies open to all but hope surchinmy can shed some light on this.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 15, 2004, 8:08 AM

Post #2 of 11 (3802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] deworming - but no worms [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

If you wish to address a particular question to me - you can type [surchinmy] in the subject box at the top ... then I will get notice via email ... otherwise, I might miss your question ...Smile

Not seeing worms after giving de-worming tablet is ok - Not to worry, that simply means your dog has no worms ... Your de-worming treatment over the last 3 months has clearly cleaned out the worms ... Well Done!

Yes, anti-heartworm medication also provides protection against specified types of worms ... the actual scope of protection depends on the anti-heartworm medication you are using ... Saw one new anti-heartworm medication called Advocate in Australia - which apparently protects against almost all worms - but have not found that product in Malaysia.

How often you should de-worm depends on your environment & how you rear your dog ...

For example: Because our dogs live indoors, and we do not allow them to eat anything from the ground during their walks etc ... We only do a general de-worm every 6 months. Similarly, because our pups also live indoors - if we don't find any worms in the poop, then we only deworm once once every 3 months.

Cheers

candy722
Novice

Nov 15, 2004, 12:09 PM

Post #3 of 11 (3791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] deworming - but no worms [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it also depends on what kind of tablets your giving your dog. I've only dewormed my dog twice and that is it. No worms ever show but to be on the safe side it was dewormed. But it you get it done at the vet you only do it once.

(This post was edited by candy722 on Nov 15, 2004, 12:10 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 16, 2004, 4:10 AM

Post #4 of 11 (3769 views)
Shortcut
Re: [candy722] deworming - but no worms [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Why should your vet's treatment for worms be different?

Cheers

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 1, 2004, 5:01 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3555 views)
Shortcut

surchin,

Roxy's deworming time is almost coming, due in 2 days. should i give her a deworming tablet though she is free of worm? she has started to eat raw meat esp lamb & lamb bones. do i need to de-worm her? she is going to be given her heartworm tablet tomorrow (thurs).

also what de-worming table is recommended? i saw at a petshop there were selling it at RM9, that's hefty for a bloody pill.Laugh i thought it was like RM4 - 5? do advise.

thanks

kelsey

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 1, 2004, 8:17 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

If I am not mistaken the protocol is for a dog to be dewormed every 3 months (regardless of whether we find worms in the poop or not) ...

Regular deworming is a good idea - because (a) dogs can can pick up worm eggs in so many ways ... during their walks, playing on grass, mouthing stuff they see around ... and early stage worm infection is not always evident through poop examination ... and prevention is better than cure ...

Because our dogs live mostly indoors - we only deworm once in 6 months ... which works for our dogs.

Might be a good idea to give heartworm medication one week and deworming the following week ... and not together ...

There are several brands/type of de-worming medication and they do not all cover the same range of worms ...

Heartworm tablets also protect against some intestinal worms ... So, one way to decide is look at the list of worms covered by the heartworm tablets you are using and then selecting the deworming tablet that covers other worms ... to give your dog the widest range of protection.

Might also be a good idea to consult your vet and get the brand your vet recommends ... after that you can try and find a cheaper source for the same brand of deworming tablet) ...

Cheers

chrisong
Doggyman

Dec 2, 2004, 8:17 PM

Post #7 of 11 (3508 views)
Shortcut

Dont*l Plus or Cest*l Plus is a good brand of dewormer.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 29, 2005, 5:39 PM

Post #8 of 11 (3384 views)
Shortcut

surchinmy, dont laugh ok..i think this is a joke.

roxy, now 27 weeks. dewormed for the 2nd time now. (every 3 months) after 6 months, no worms. we got the de-worm pill from the vet at RM5 each.she needs to take 2 of it. her weight is about 40lbs.

so what seems to be the problem? the deworm pill is not strong enough?

should i de-worm her every 6 months from now on? she does have a bit of a haywire feeding schedule now cause she only eats when she is hungry and this girl a bit different, she will tap at her feeding place to show she is hungry which is good but her feeding schedule has gone mad.

i de-worm her recently and her appetite is poor but she is healthly and active. should i be worried? and ohh..she still has that waist.Laugh

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 30, 2005, 10:50 AM

Post #9 of 11 (3369 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Think you may be just getting a tiny weeny bit paranoid re: Kelsey's deworming ... TongueWink ...

It is not always possible to see the worms (some species are quite small) - so even if Roxy is passing worms - you may not see them.

Not seeing worms doesn't necessarily mean the deworming medication is not working ... It could well be be that there are no worms ... And from how you look after your dog ... it is very possible that Roxy does not have any worms ... just go on deworming as a precaution ...

Yeaps ... since Roxy spends most of her time indoors ... deworming once every 6 months should be ok.

Main thing is - if Roxy looks healthy ... behaves healthy ... has good appetite, is active and full of fun ... you shouldn't have much to worry about ... Smile

Having a dog that only eats when hungry is good (less likely to get fat) ... but do try to keep her on a schedule - makes life easier for owner ...

Cheers

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 30, 2005, 5:28 PM

Post #10 of 11 (3364 views)
Shortcut

aye aye captainSly

yeah maybe paranoid cause i really look at her stool..scared mah cause she not eating well.

well slowly back on the schedule and she is naughtier now...entering adolescent stage....

scout
Dog Kichi

Feb 1, 2005, 5:52 PM

Post #11 of 11 (3340 views)
Shortcut

hi hi...

here, my dog same case.. he is 10 weeks old, 2 days ago just deworm. But until today, i'm looking at his stools, no worms oso??!!! Maybe since no worm, only do it 2 times a year lar hor?

Anyway, i got the deworm pills from vet! Cost RM20 for 2 pills!! Damn... got cheated Frown. What to do, first time mar... i ask vet when should i deworm? He said anytime, want to do it now? So i said ok lar... how i know he charge THAT much wor...

Now i know, pet shop can get better ones... hehehe... wait next round lar...

Cheers,

G

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my