Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Can't stand it

TysonBoy
Novice

Nov 3, 2004, 6:17 AM

Post #1 of 10 (1755 views)
Shortcut
Can't stand it Can't Post

Life with my 1 year 7 months male Rottweiler used to be perfect. He was toilet trained, always kept his place super clean, knew never to mark his territory in the house and the garden, very quiet fella - never bark unnecessarily, listen to my commands, etc.

He is not all that perfect though - has hip dys., very hyper active, chew on anything he can get his paws on, and would challenge me from time to time. But that was about it. Still, it was just beautiful and perfect.

Two weeks ago, I adopted two female daschunds - two years old. And all hell broke loose. My rottie started pissing all over the place continuously, he doesn't heed any of my commands at all, he has become very ill tempered, has tried to attacked me many times, growling, barking continously, just about everything. Today, he has start howling! All day long! My neigbours who have all praised my dog for being the most quiet dog in the neighbourhood have now come to my house to complain of the irritating noises. I just don't know what to do!!

I am now putting the daschunds for adoption - I hate to resort to this but dunno how else to resolve this. I thot with time it will go away, but it is just becoming worse and worse by day.

I appreciate any advise. I am very desperate as to how I correct this behavioural problem. Infact, if it can be corrected, I am ever willing to keep the daschies. But if I can't, I am more than ready to give them up in order for my rottie to be sane!! I want my rottie to be discipline cos of his breed. It is hard to have big dogs, or any dogs for that matter, to be not discipline.

I had lots of dogs before but never had I encountered this kind of problem. Please help. Someone has been offered to foster my daschies, and I am seriously thinking of taking up the offer.

Thanks.

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2004, 6:57 AM

Post #2 of 10 (1743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TysonBoy] Can't stand it [In reply to] Can't Post

i think he's jealous and trying to attract attention... and moreover, the dachies r female...and ur rotti has grown up and ready to mate... maybe the dachies r abt to on heat??? and ur rotti can sense it so he's trying to mark territory n tell his friends that 'they're mine!!' Pirate

does ur dachies stay inside the house and rotti stay outside???

TysonBoy
Novice

Nov 3, 2004, 8:11 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BaoBao] Can't stand it [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, initially I thot he was on heat but after observing him, it is not that. When, the daschies are around, he is like that. When they are not around, he is also like that. Today he has been just yapping like hell. He wasn't even like that on his first day with us when he was just three months old.

Yes, he doesn't like the daschies around me - or even me being nice to other dogs. He gets upset and protective when I pet another dog or when a dog comes to me. So, that I understand. But this isn't even the problem.

How come he started howling?

I tried putting him together with the daschies, partitioned them (they can see each other but can't touch) and even separated them. I am getting the vet in tomorrow and see if he is in any kind of physical pain first.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 3, 2004, 6:44 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TysonBoy, baobao] Can't stand it [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Step A

Agree with BaoBao ... suggest you start by asking the vet to check if the dachies are "on heat" ... A bitch on heat gives of scent, that travels long distances in the air ... Your Rottie does not have to be physically near the bitch on heat to get excited ... Any where in the same compound/house is sufficient to trigger off the mating instinct ... which would then account for his change in behaviour ... including the howling.

Step B

If the dachies are NOT on heat ... then you have to try and discover what triggered the change in behaviour ... and take it from there.

From your posting the change had already begun before the dachies arrived ...

Question: How old was the Rottie when the "change" first began ... at about 10 to 12months? ... And what marked the change? As in what was the first difference you noticed?

Cheers

PS ... You are correct to get the vet to check your Rottie to make sure he is ok ... the hip dsy can be painful ... How severe is that condition and what medication has been prescribed? ... A dog in pain will act differently.

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 3, 2004, 6:51 PM)

TysonBoy
Novice

Nov 3, 2004, 9:16 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Can't stand it [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Last nite had been hell for me! And this morning even worst!! I kept my rottie separated from the girls and left him in front of the house - like I normally do. He dug the garden, chewed up three new umbrellas!, shoes, floormat, scratches all over the car and chew off the water hose!! Piss and poo everywhere. He has always been in the garden - even overnight, and I have always been extremely proud of him for knowing what is off bounds.

No, his behaviour only changed when I got the girls in - so that is about two weeks ago. And day by day, it became worst. After a few days, I kept them separated all the time. He doesn't attack them, but he attacks me. By the way, I never inflict brute force or aggrassion towards him. Stern yes, but not otherwise. I am just so depressed. He looks stick and bones for a rottie. He eats just about 1 cup a day!

The vet is coming in tomorrow - since my call to him was rather last minute.

There are no other dogs he gets in contact. The cats (other people's) would come and go, and he even lets them eat his food - this is normal - he luvs cats.

So, I dunno lah ...... i am just so depressed ...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 3, 2004, 9:54 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1698 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

" ... No, his behaviour only changed when I got the girls in - so that is about two weeks ago. And day by day, it became worst. After a few days, I kept them separated all the time ..."

Given your description above ... I suspect that your dachies (one or both) are either coming into heat or already in heat ... Ask the vet to check the dachies ...

Don't worry so much - if you can, just take the 2 dachies to the vet for a quick examination ...

All the best

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 5, 2004, 7:50 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1676 views)
Shortcut

What did the vet say?

TysonBoy
Novice

Nov 6, 2004, 8:01 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Can't stand it [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi. The vet says he is having flu. He has a cough like as if something is stuck in his throat and he tries to get it out but can't. I saw my Rott spit out some fluid, but he licked it all back. ?? I was just puzzled. And he sneezed a few times! But this got nothing to do with his earlier behaviour. He just happened to have flu when the vet was here.

The vet says he is not in heat. Neither are the girls. He is saying its behavioural problem.

I have now keep the girls entirely separately from the Rott. They are close to each other, I am sure they can sniff each other's odor but they just can't see each other. With the daschies not around me (or him), he is kinda back to his normal self. However, after the other night's diasaster, I have not allowed him in the house or to the front - that will tell all. I just don't want him pissing all over since the girls would have been there earlier.

He knows the girls are around. But he doesn't act up anymore. He is still not eating as well yet. Now skinner than ever!

By the way, he is on mobility support tablets and another tablet for joints. His hips is looking worst since his legs are so skinny now.

What a relieve .... I am beginning to get my dog back. Sadly, the girls gotta go .. :(

TysonBoy
Novice

Nov 7, 2004, 12:36 AM

Post #9 of 10 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Just to inform you that the girls have been adopted by Mikoyuki (if you see her thread in Daschunds for Adoption - she is so damn excited!). Sad to see them go but I know they are going to a great home. Their new mom called me at 3am!! and they will be on their way to Ipoh this evening. :)

My Rott knows the girls have gone and interestingly, he is behaving himself. Now he is listening to my commands and is more alert. He is still having his flu though.

My home is now a quiet one after two weeks of terror by him!

By the way, thanks for all your contribution - I really appreciate it cos I was on the verge of losing my head.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 8, 2004, 10:18 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Wow ... A very serious bout of jealousy from your Rottie then ...

Sorry, the dachies had to go ...

Say ... about the flu thing ... just heard from our vet this morning that there is Kennel Flu running around ... he has already seen several cases in the last week ... Not life-threatening but can weaken a dog ... so take care.

All the best

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my