IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Help!!! My Basset Hound dianosed wt fungus infection

mikoyuki

Nov 2, 2004, 8:47 PM

Post #1 of 15 (3723 views)
Shortcut
Help!!! My Basset Hound dianosed wt fungus infection Can't Post

Frown I'm so sad. My basset hound, 2mths old, is diagnosed wt fungus infection. Vet just gave her some antibiotics to be taken 5 days in a row. No cream to apply. He said it may be due to allergic to either shampoo or chicken. Can any1 help to give me advise on how to go abt it for Ally to heal completely?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 3, 2004, 8:21 AM

Post #2 of 15 (3711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikoyuki] Help!!! My Basset Hound dianosed wt fungus infection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Your vet says that the fungal infection is caused by shampoo or chicken???????? Crazy

Aaah ... nevermind ...

Don't worry so much ... most fungal infections are reasonably easy to treat ... And also, as your dog gets older and stronger, it's immune system will also get stronger and your dog will develop better resistance to fungal infections ...

Good nutrition is very important for a healthy coat & skin ...

Just a few questions:

*** Where is the fungal infection? ... Is the infection localised i.e. infection of a specific area ... or is it a general infection of the skin?

*** What tests did the vet do or carry out? ... Have you been prescribed with any antifungal medication/shampoo etc? ... If not, do you know why not?

*** Do you know what kind of antibiotics were prescribed?

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 3, 2004, 8:32 AM)

mikoyuki

Nov 29, 2004, 7:48 PM

Post #3 of 15 (3660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Help!!! My Basset Hound dianosed wt fungus infection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I don't think it is a fungal infection. I have tried many ways to cure her. Do not know what is the name of the antibiotic prescribed by the vet. But it seems that, right after the dosage completed, it comes back again. I guess it's not due to the food either. And this time, the bacteria actually spread to my other dog.

The red rashes are located on the underside...esp tummy part. Neck and legs are all red. Losing furs as well.

I've tried several ways like bathing them wt a Sulphur Medicated Shampoo, changing their brand of food and today I just bought an antifungal, anti bacteria solutions to be mix wt water and apply on the whole body.

The vet did not carried out any test to determine the condition. I am very worry...pls help!!!

Rynn

(This post was edited by mikoyuki on Nov 29, 2004, 7:50 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 29, 2004, 10:24 PM

Post #4 of 15 (3652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikoyuki] Help!!! My Basset Hound dianosed wt fungus infection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Sorry to hear about your dog's skin condition ...

Have also received your email ...

Think the best thing for you to do is to take your dog to a vet who is experienced with skin condition and let the vet have a look ... I will provide you with a contact via email ...

All the best

mikoyuki

Nov 29, 2004, 11:11 PM

Post #5 of 15 (3646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Help!!! My Basset Hound dianosed wt fungus infection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Surch,

I saw from one of the thread that u suggested Canestan/Nixoral/Generic for Yeast/Fungal infection. Do you think I shld try it out? I also give them both one tablet of cod liver oil daily...hope it helps to ease their skin problem...

Rynn

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 29, 2004, 11:46 PM

Post #6 of 15 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Yes ... canestan etc ... are all general treatment for fungal infections but ... I am concerned (given what you have posted) about the possibility of either mis-diagnosis ... or failing to accuratly diagnose the actual underlying cause of the skin condition ...

It is therefore important that a vet carry out the necessary examination & tests to identify the primary cause of the coat/skin condition before suggesting any medication or treatment ... Otherwise - the medication or treatment won't be effective ... and may in some cases actually hide or drive the "real" cause of the skin condition deeper and make it more difficult to treat ...

Which is why I think you must take your dog to a good vet who is prepared to carefully examine your dog before prescribing treatment ...

surch

mikoyuki

Dec 3, 2004, 12:22 AM

Post #7 of 15 (3612 views)
Shortcut

HI Surch,

I saw from the other thread, that u mentioned those several botak spots on puppy is call mange? Y does it occur and is all bald spots oso is categorise as mange? How to cure them? One of my basset (that I adopted) have several bald spots..but he doesn't seems to be itchy or any red spots on those part. Sorry I'm very inexperience in this and maybe I ask stupid questions...Tongue

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 3, 2004, 2:08 AM

Post #8 of 15 (3603 views)
Shortcut

Ah ... it's always okay to ask questions ... Smile ... No problems there ...

It is very difficult over the Forum to try and say what might be causing bald spots on a dog ... so, if your dog has bald spots ... do take care ... and take the dog to a vet for a proper examination ... that would be the safest and best thing to do ...

All the best ...

mikoyuki

Dec 4, 2004, 8:40 PM

Post #9 of 15 (3583 views)
Shortcut

Hi Surch,

I have been making a round of calls to vets in Ipoh and tried to ask them how to go about it, do they provide skin scraping examinations. Seems like the conclusion I get is they will give injection to cure the current skin problem my doggies facing. I got to know from a pharmacist (which is also a dog lover) that those jabs are actually steroid jab and it will only cure the problem for a while but in longer run, the problems will come back again.

That's why I am avoiding to bring my doggies to vet now. I am trying in every way I could to help cure those doggies...be it in medicated bath, give them those natural remedies like tea tree oil lotions to apply on affected area. So far, I am seeing some improvement..Cool

I read from a website that we can actually use 'used motor oil' to cure mange It did mention there that 98% works to clear mites. Err...am not so sure and not willing to try it out...I'll try to locate the url and paste it here...

Rynn

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 4, 2004, 11:25 PM

Post #10 of 15 (3576 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Ah ... ok, understand your difficulty ...

Motor Oil

Yes, in the old days (and some people still use it now) ... diesel was often used as a general remedy for parasitic infections of the skin/coat ... basically the heavy diesel oil suffocates the parasites ... But this method is no longer recommended ... for the following reasons:

(a) For best effect, you have to shave the dog ... (b) It is really really messy ... (c) Diesel is a poison ...

And there are better and more effective methods today ... Use the Search Function and search the word "diesel" ... It is not a method I would use.

Steroids

If the vet is ONLY giving "steroid" injections (without other supporting treatment) - then I would tend to agree with your pharmacist - in that steroid jabs are often only temporary remedies ... and when the steroids wear off - the problem often returns.

Basically what a "steroid" injection does is reduce inflammation & itchiness ... Sometimes - by reducing the symptoms, it allows the area to heal (because the dog stops chewing/scratching the area) and hopefully gives time for the dog's OWN immunity system to tackle the cause of the coat/skin problem ... BUT, the "steroid" injection does not by itself address the causes of the coat/skin condition ...

To be effective, steroid treatment ought also to be accompanied with treatment of the "primary" causes of the coat/skin condition ... Used alone, the steroid treatment often only provides superficial & temporary relief ...

Your dog's coat/skin condition

You started this thread by saying that your dog has a fungal infection ... and now, you think your dog may have some form of mange infection ... (there are several types of mange infection - and treatment is different for each).

In order to effectively & successfully treat coat/skin condition - it is necessary to identify the cause of the coat/skin condition ... because the treatment for fungal infection is quite different from the treatment for mange infection ... And sometimes the fungal infection is only secondary, in that the fungal infection is brought because of some other coat/skin condition/infection ...

Without seeing your dog - it is very very hard to know what is the correct remedy or treatment. And making guesses is hardly the best way of trying to reduce or rid skin/coat problems.

Which is why I suggested that you get a good vet to properly examine your dog ...

Even when using homeopathic or natural remedies - it is still necessary to find out what is affecting your dog before the proper remedy can be applied ...

For example: While Tea Tree oil is a very good natural & mild form of antiseptic, and will help reduce superficial skin infection ... TTree oil may not be so effective against fungus or mange ... Neem Oil would probably be better for fungal infection ... While a Lemon Oil infusion may be better for mild mange infections ... And if such oils are used in too strong a concentration or too intensively, it can burn and/or dry the dog's skin ...

I will still suggest the following:

(a) Get a skin-scraping done by the most reliable vet you can find ... if necessary, get the vet to do a culture, to try and identify what is the CAUSE or CAUSES of your dog's coat/skin condition - or at least confirm it that is a fungal or mange infection or both. If mange infection - confirm the type of mange infection.

(b) BUT before your vet prescribes any treatment ... ASK your vet to FULLY EXPLAIN your dog's condition & the treatment he intends to prescribe ... A good vet WILL NOT MIND and will be happy to answer your questions ...

For example:

If the vet wants to give an injection ... find out EXACTLY what the injection is (it may not be a steroid injection but an ivermectin injection) ... Ask the vet to explain the purpose of the injection

If your vet prescribes tablets - also find out what those tablets are ... ask for names & particulars ... Ask the vet to explain the purpose of the tablets.

If you are still not sure, then don't do the treatment until after you have done some research on your own ... or post here.

If you can identify the possible causes of your dog's coat/skin condition - then it will be easier to recommend some possible homeopathic or natural remedies to support the vet's medication ...

Without identifying the primary cause - all we can do is guess ... and that may not be so good or effective ...

Cheers

P.S. - With coat/skin conditions - a good balanced diet of freshly prepared foods often helps ... good, properly balanced nutrition is directly related to better coat & skin condition.

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 4, 2004, 11:36 PM)

mikoyuki

Dec 6, 2004, 8:41 PM

Post #11 of 15 (3553 views)
Shortcut

Dear Surch,

Shocked Yes, I started this thread saying that my dog is infected by fungal infection. I wasn't too sure then, the statement was made becoz of the vet informing me so. And...secondly, I have 5 dogs at home, what I'm saying here is not just on one dog. Sorry for the misunderstanding caused. Tongue

Will try my best to find a good vet but haihhhhhhhhhh ... not much choices here in Ipoh. Those vets were like giving you the attitude, either you trust me and keep your mouth shut or go find another one (you know that kinda cold treatment thingy)

That is why I am trying to find my own solutions and since I've got 5 doggies, you might not know when is the next time you'll need the knowlegde you can gain, right? I'm doing my homework everyday researching from websites to websites...and also try to post here in the forum, ask around...to gain that extra info...so that all my doggies will be assured that they are in safe hands having such an owner...Wink

So sorry if I ask too much...else...how can I learn more, right? Thanks for all the info that you provided...really appreciate it!~

Rynn

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 7, 2004, 2:32 AM

Post #12 of 15 (3546 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Aah - 5 dogs ... wow ...

For sure it is good to ask questions ... no problems ... Smile

Sorry to hear you have had bad experiences with vets ... I hope you find a good vet soon ...

My only concern is that - unless it is possible to identify more precisely what may be causing the dog's skin condition - it is very difficult to suggest remedies ... And sometimes, when we try too many different remedies - it can make the situation worse.

Maybe you can just get the vet to do a skin scraping to identify the problem - and then after that - it will be easier for you to decide what you can do.

Check this ... for suggestions on some good books on common dog ailments & suggested treatments (including homeopatic remedies) ...

www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A383ABZY40JIYO/102-6119470-3101762?%5Fencoding=UTF8&display=public&page=3

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 7, 2004, 3:00 AM)

mikoyuki

Dec 7, 2004, 9:12 PM

Post #13 of 15 (3522 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the link! Erm...this books unable to find in M'sia? Never buy online b4...not so sure how. Anyway...anything mentioned in the book itself, those medicine, is available here in M'sia or not? Sorry asking dumb Q like this...Unsure

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 7, 2004, 9:55 PM

Post #14 of 15 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Some of the books are available in the bigger bookshops in KLCC and MidValley (MPH, TIMES & Kinokuniya).

But you will have to be prepared to search & wait - usually the bookshops only bring in one or two copies at a time for sale.

Options:

(a) You can organise your friends together to make a collective order from Amazon.Com ... ordering several books at a time can save on delivery charges.

(b) But if you do not wish to buy on-line, you can get MPH, TIMES or Kinokuniya to order the books for you. Just give them the titles & authors.

You can find most (but not all) of the homeopatic items in Malaysia. Personally, I find the books very useful, and have learnt a lot from them.

Cheers

tuckfook

Dec 16, 2004, 5:30 AM

Post #15 of 15 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

How's the Basset ?

I mentioned using Canestan etc. and if you had tried it, by now either you would have seen an improvement or not. Anti fungals will not harm the dog and if it improves, it is fungus. If it does not work then it is not !

OTOH if it goes away and comes back, it may be a resistant fungus that, that particular treatment does not work. There are other fungal treatments but more expensive.

If anti fungals make no difference in a week then it may be mange. Taktic solution on the area will work immediately and in a few days the redness will subside.

If you don't try you'll never find out. You can of course go from vet to vet and they of course will do the same as I suggest above.

Skin scrapings may be Ok to check for mange but for fungus, there is fungus on the skin most of the time as well as when the dog has mange. Whatever it is, th vet will try as above at your expense.

Tuckfook.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my