after reading the threads...i still need help

maxine
Dog Kichi

Nov 2, 2004, 7:08 AM

Post #1 of 10 (5458 views)
Shortcut
after reading the threads...i still need help Can't Post

Hello!

My puppy have been scratching her ears and it started to bleed(not from the inside, but from a cut at the outer part), i tried to prevent her from scratching by telling her not to when i'm at home. but once i'm out she'll start scratching again and her fur will be covered by the blood from her ear when i come back everytime.

so i decided to let her wear this plastic thingy that looks like a trumpet, i forgot what it's called(bought it when she had her operation last time) to prevent her from scratching her ears. i applied some medicine as adviced from some ppl from a pet store to her ears to prevent any infection but she didn't like it and snapped at me when i tried to apply the medicine to her wound.Frown

it's been a week and i removed the plastic surrounding her head thinking that her wound must have healed but she started scratching her ears and the bleeding started again.

i'm at a loss now and i'm very worried about my puppy Unsure... my parents aren't really willing to bring her to the vet because they think that the vet couldn't help much..pls help.

n my pup just turned 1 yrs old recently, how many times should i feed her a day now??

thanks!
¦¦ § ± î © k s & s ± ø ñ ê § ¦¦
= m î g h ± b ® è á k m ¥ b ø n è§ =
« « b ù ± w ò ® d § ç ª ñ § h ã ± T ê r ± h Ê § ô ù | » »

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 2, 2004, 8:02 AM

Post #2 of 10 (5452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maxine] after reading the threads...i still need help [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Dogs usually heal very fast ... much faster than people ... so, your dog's condition sounds rather unusual ...

If the cut/wound is caused by excessive scratching ... then trying to put medication on the cut/wound is not going to help unless you ALSO identify & treat the underlying cause of the scratching ...

Many things can cause a dog to scratch excessively ... from fungal infection to some sort of mange infection ... And it is best that you get the cause/condition diagnosed early ... the longer you wait, the more serious it can become.

I think you need to get a vet to examine your dog and determine what is causing the scratching & itchiness ... and prescribe the correct treatment.

Please explain to your parents, that the cut/wound is not healing ... If a cut/wound is allowed to fester, bacterial & other infections can set in - and then the whole situation can get even more complicated. The wisest thing to do is take your dog to a properly trained medical professional, for advice & treatment.

At one year, a dog can be fed once a day.

Cheers

joanch
Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2004, 9:30 AM

Post #3 of 10 (5446 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] after reading the threads...i still need help [In reply to] Can't Post

A one year old dog only needs one meal a day??
Then what should we feed her?
If it is a small sized dog, we should not feed her with large amount of food each time right?
So I guess she might be starving at night if there is only one meal...?
I have a Papillon and an Australian Silky Terrier. One sheds and the other one needs grooming quite a lot

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 2, 2004, 1:36 PM

Post #4 of 10 (5439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maxine] after reading the threads...i still need help [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,

I don't think the problem is from the outer part of the ear. Do check it out the ear canal wherether got any infection. You also can try cleaning it with the ear cleaner to see the problem can be solve.

Hope this helpWink

EuroWinnie
Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2004, 4:48 PM

Post #5 of 10 (5435 views)
Shortcut

Could be ear mites??UnsureUnsureUnsure...

My silky used to scratch her ear but not till it bleed, he still scratch his head near the ear occasionally Smile
Winnie

maxine
Dog Kichi

Nov 2, 2004, 7:17 PM

Post #6 of 10 (5429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] after reading the threads...i still need help [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello!

thank u for your advice =)

are there any vets around pj area that you can recommend?? i use to bring my pup to a vet nearby but there was once i brought her there for an operation and she came back with lots of ticks. so i tried bringing her to another vet further from bandar utama(i forgot the name of the place, something damansara) when i found out that she had flaky skin but the vet only told us to try to stop giving her treats for the mean time and didn't offer to run any test... so i'm hoping to find a responsible vet who's willing to spend more time with my pup to understand her condition.

thanks, but how many spoons per meal?? i'm still feeding her science diet's puppy original, should i change her food?

maxine
Dog Kichi

Nov 2, 2004, 7:19 PM

Post #7 of 10 (5428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] after reading the threads...i still need help [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello!

thanks for your advice!

i've tried cleaning her ear with the ear cleaner b4 but she didn't really like it and refuses to let me touch her ear =(

i'm hoping to bring her to a vet soon....

maxine
Dog Kichi

Nov 2, 2004, 7:21 PM

Post #8 of 10 (5426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EuroWinnie] after reading the threads...i still need help [In reply to] Can't Post

aaiikss....

i hope it's not ear mites....i've brought her to the vet to check for ear mites b4 and they say she's okie but her ears still loooks kinda red...Frown

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 2, 2004, 8:32 PM

Post #9 of 10 (5422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maxine, joanch] after reading the threads...i still need help [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Sounds like you have not had good experiences with vets ...

The important thing now is to get the cut/wound sorted out.

Currently she may be growling because her ear is hurthing her ... but after you get the cut/wound sorted out ... you will have to teach your dog to let you handle her and not allow her to growl at you.

It is hard to give recommendation as to how much to feed without actually seeing your dog.

The general rule of thumbs for feeding are:

(i) Once a dog reaches full maturity, one meal a day should be sufficient. But with the smaller breeds, some people prefer to give 2 small meals rather than one large meal ...

(ii) You can change from puppy food to adult food between 10 to 12 months.

(iii) You should feed a dog enough such that (a) the poop is firm (can pick up in one piece) ... soft poop may be indicative of over feeding & hard poop may be indication of under feeding ... (ii) A dog should not be so overweight that you cannot feel the ribs when running fingers gently down its sides.

Use the SEARCH function to find threads on how to check to make sure your dog is not fat/overweight ... try the words ... "fat" ... "over weight" etc.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 2, 2004, 8:39 PM)

EuroWinnie
Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2004, 11:39 PM

Post #10 of 10 (5410 views)
Shortcut

UnsureUnsureHope its not ear mites as well...

When I brought Euro in for his 2nd vaccination.. the vet did check his ear..I told him as well that Euro scratch his ear, but since Euro was moving so much I guess vet didnt done a through check coz I went back for another visit 2 3 weeks later coz I was getting worried becoz he scratch so much... turns out got ear mites... tiny ones... vet put medicine... and so far now no more ear mites...he dont scratch his ear no more... jus scratch his head near ear... some said could be food that cause the scratching but then vet said might be habit.... dont know yet...SmileSmileSmile

Jus wanna share some things vet did say to me about cleaning ear... dont know it will help a not Smile... when I asked the vet how to clean Euro's ear (cotton bud etc etc) he said preferably dont use it to clean inside the canal coz we might jus ended up pushing the ear wax all inside... told me to go buy the OIL base ear solution... and to put it (1 day or hours) BEFORE his weekly bathing... then after that only bath...

Hope your doggie get better soon SmileSmileSmile
Winnie

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my