Home: Breed Specific: Gundog Group:
SKin problem?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

beyond

Oct 25, 2004, 12:48 AM

Post #1 of 258 (6978 views)
Shortcut
SKin problem? Can't Post

Hm..WHen I got my GR back yesterday..I noticed one thing...I bought a comb and used it on him...ANd I could see 'dandruff'-like flakes coming off...Is it normal? I mean as in...8 weeks puppy skin? Changin skin ke? Or..HAve I bought a pup with skin prob?

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 25, 2004, 3:42 AM

Post #2 of 258 (6970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [beyond] SKin problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

Your pup has dry skin.... you can give your pup some cod fish oil capsules or canola oil into the food..... if the skin appear reddish and itchy, then got problem so have to see vet lah....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

beyond

Oct 25, 2004, 4:03 AM

Post #3 of 258 (6969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] SKin problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

WEll..GOod thing the skin looks ok (white ler)...Okok ..Will take note of that..

I found out another thing too..My pup is quite 'lazy' tooTongue

Likes to lie around in the house...Not interested in much activity...kekekekeke But at least..I m sure he will not be hyperactive..Wink

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 25, 2004, 4:07 AM

Post #4 of 258 (6968 views)
Shortcut

Hahah... lazy then better than mine loh, so hyper active when she was a pup.... all my furniture and shoes all spoiled by her ah... she couldn't stop chewing when she was a pup and only stop chewing shoes at the age of 2 years!!!! Don't over excercise pup now, I read that you can bring pup go for short walks but if like teman you jogging ah, must be at least 2 years olf so that the leg joints won't have problems....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

beyond

Oct 25, 2004, 6:59 AM

Post #5 of 258 (6963 views)
Shortcut

Hahahah...Mine so far...She 'has' this short term concentration...She doesnt like to go far away from me...For example..I brought her out to my garden this morning to allow her to do her business and exercise/game..BUt he prefer sitting beside me while I read the newspaper..So ..I just ask him to follow me running up and down..till he looses his interest..Hm..This guy..Really damn relax/lepak wan..HE ll just lie down and go with the look 'I m not bothered'. Laugh

Another thing..When I got him from the breeder..I noticed the pups does their business on the grass...But this guy is funny..So far..HE will pee on the garden..But he ll poo on the cement floor..I wonder why..kekekekke So hard to train..But takes time lar and lotsa patience..

HE may look lazy..But can be quite smart wan..When I ask him to go back to the crate..HE will hesitate..And then..HE will head to underneath the chair and sleep there..ONe more thing..HE doesnt really respond to call 'COme'. Normal rite for an 8 weeks old pup..Need time to build trust and respond..ANd..I dun dare to take him out for walk/exercise, not even a short one..Coz got other stray dogs in the vicinity, he is too young..might catch some lice and ticks on the way...SO ..How long should I wait?

Today..My parents fed him with milk instead of dried food..Can rite? I think he takes in about 150-200 ml of OMEGA 6 milk (my mom's) twice a day..

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 25, 2004, 7:41 AM

Post #6 of 258 (6962 views)
Shortcut

Many dogs are lactose intolerant so ... cow's milk or milk formuated for people are not suitable for dogs ... If you wish to give milk then go to a pet shop and get milk designed specially for dogs.

Flaky skin can be caused by many factors ... From imbalance in diet to bacterial/fungal/yeast infection ... Use Search Function and use the words "dry skin" and "flaky skin" ... You will find plenty of threads giving advice.

Cheers

beyond

Oct 25, 2004, 8:12 AM

Post #7 of 258 (6959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] SKin problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks..I should have used the search function instead of starting another thread.Blush

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Oct 25, 2004, 4:51 PM

Post #8 of 258 (6951 views)
Shortcut

ur puppy does look a bit mature for an 8 weeks.. i thought 8 weeks are suppose to be fluffy and have a big head. urs can easily pass for a 12 weeks puppy. ur puppy already look like a dog:) and not very much like a puppy.

say his name alot so he will recognize it. he has to learn to trust u so he can come to u.

beyond

Oct 25, 2004, 5:31 PM

Post #9 of 258 (6947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] SKin problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hahahaha hi kelsey..He seems big from the picture in the avatar..That is becoz I resized it..Zoom in and cut..His ears are actually quite floppy wan..Just that, the pic was taken when his ears were held back..Wink

One day..When we are free..we can meet up and u can see his size..Smile His bro and sis are all almost equal in size. Plus..I believe the breeder is sincere and honest. Anyway..If it turns out to be a 'mixed', Me and my family still luvs him (hopefully not mixed lar, I m due to collect his cert after 2 months) Laugh

Yeah ..He is learning to come..Slowly lar..He is just 8 weeks old. He is especially happy when I let him out of the crate...He will run up to me and paw at my thighs..Cute..

beyond

Oct 25, 2004, 5:35 PM

Post #10 of 258 (6945 views)
Shortcut

Hm..I messaged the breeder and he mentioned that the pup's skin flakes are normal. He did mentioned again that it will be more after he takes bath and combing (which I found is true) sessions. And he it will gradually go away as the current skin is just baby skin..So..I ll keep my finger crossed.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 25, 2004, 7:35 PM

Post #11 of 258 (6936 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Just read your post ... errr ... I don't think that having flaky skin is "normal" ... Having flaky skin is usually "abnormal" ... But without seeing the dog - it's hard to say whether the "cause" of flaky/dry skin is serious or not.

Suggestion: ...

(a) Bath your pup, using slightly warm water (not too warm or hot) ... use a mild shampoo ... say ... EpiSooth (can find in any wellstocked pet shop) ... Shampoo the dog well, work your fingers into the roots of the coat ...

IMPORTANT: Do not use any conditioners or conditioning shampoo ... And ... make sure you rinse ALL shampoo off.

(b) Dry the pup well with a towel (do not blow dry - blow drying can itself cause dry/flaking skin) ... Dry really well ... Then place your pup in morning sun (before 11am) for say, 15minutes to complete the drying ...

(c) Once the pup is dry - brush/comb vigourously ... Work out & remove all loose flaks of skin ...

If done properly - you will now have a nice clean pup ... who you can observe & monitor over the next few days ...

Cautions:

(A) Check to see if the flaky skin returns ... You can do this by running your fingers or brush deep through it's coat ... and the flaky skin will come loose ...

(B) Check and see if your pup is scratching or itching excessively ...

(C) Smell the coat ... a healthy coat will have a good healthy doggie smell ... and unhealthy coat will have a sweet, pungent type of smell ... quite easy to dinstinguish ...

If none of the above occur, then your pup is probably fine ... if the above occurs - then take your pup to a good vet for an examination. The key is to ensure that there is no current or on going infection ...

Get a good book/manual on how to look after puppies.

Cheers

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Oct 25, 2004, 7:59 PM

Post #12 of 258 (6933 views)
Shortcut

ya lah..maybe one day we should get together. i think my Roxy would love to meet another GR, a couple of weeks ago we saw a show on Gr, she actually stop what she was doing and jump at the TV(she is still short to reach the TV, but she was barely pawing the screen), so funny! guess she wasn't impressed with the lazy maltese our neighbour has, neither is she impressed with adult dogs who are not into playing with her.

when i bath my puppy, i blow dry (ohh ohh), but i place the dryer on low settings and place it about 1 foot away from her. so far she likes it and no problem skin lah. we have been doing this i think 3 times now. 3 times we actually bath her but the rest like 5 times, she "water freak' make herself wet.

she does smell so nice after a bath! actually no bad breath, no bad smell, maybe we are so high up in a condo that its impossible for her to catch bad smell!!haha

surchin, thanks for more tips..you have been really helpful from the 1st time i got her lah. btw, just curious was dogs do u have ah?

beyond

Oct 25, 2004, 9:08 PM

Post #13 of 258 (6929 views)
Shortcut

Hi..So far..The pup has not been scratching himself..Em..About the flakes..It only comes off when I use the comb. And when I check the skin..It is just all white..No reddish skin or something..BUt BUt but..I do appreciate ur advices. I m goin to follow them and see what will happen..Will update ye. Thanks and Regards! :)

beyond

Oct 25, 2004, 9:16 PM

Post #14 of 258 (6924 views)
Shortcut

My dad actually was the one who bath him yesterday..As I was away attendin class. So , I didnt get to see the bathing process.

Yeah..We should get our pups to meetup one day..So funny..THis morning..He finally made the move of running up the stairs and down the stairs. But as he goes down the stairs..He will leapt from the second last steps..Hahahah So gila..

So far..The pup is chewing on those 'Bad breath free' kind of bone..So he smells fine..But I just hope the skin flakes will go away..Else..I m forced to start him on a course of antifungal therapy..:p Btw, I m a pharmacist. Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 25, 2004, 9:17 PM

Post #15 of 258 (6924 views)
Shortcut

... You are most welcome ... Smile ...

The whole problem with coat/skin is ... it's sooooo hard to tell, whether it's serious or not ... Sometimes, it's starts very innocently ... just some flakes ... no big deal ... then only later - the itching & the red spots etc ... appear ...

If it's a minor problem ... giving correct nutrition and supplements may be sufficient ... or as the pup grows older and it's own immune system gets stronger & kicks in ... the flaking goes away.

Overall ... if you are a new dog owner ... the best weapon you have is knowledge ... so get some good books on dogs (training, behaviour health etc) ... When selecting a vet, find one who is prepared to answer ALL you questions and do proper tests and examination before prescribing medication ...

All the best

Cheers

beyond

Oct 25, 2004, 9:32 PM

Post #16 of 258 (6922 views)
Shortcut

Yes..I agree..Why treat the disease when u can 'prevent' the disease from occuring..

Say..ANy good vet to recommend? I m staying in Kepong Baru area. But I m willing to go to SS2/ /PeeJay...

Oh yeah..I m a new owner ler..And any good titles for those ref books?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 25, 2004, 9:54 PM

Post #17 of 258 (6919 views)
Shortcut

Try this thread for how to choose dog books:

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=137738;search_string=training%20books%20manuals;#137738

Sorry ... don't know any vets in PJ area or SS2 ... Do search in forum ...

Cheers

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Oct 25, 2004, 10:08 PM

Post #18 of 258 (6918 views)
Shortcut

ohh training ah..

well at 8 weeks, say his name a lot so he will know what is his name. then u can try the come command, for eg, stand a bit far from him with a treat, hold ur arms open and say " Roxy, come!, say it in a good tone like how u say "ice cream". if he does not come the 1st time, no worries, if u r consistent and he trust you, he should be coming to u very fast.

the sit command, sit in front of him, say sit and then lower his hip on the ground, reward him with a treat and praise him.

at 8 weeks, he would not be lazy for long, he will explore the house and in no time, he would be chewing on everything he can see! so the key is to start him on things he should chew and should not. so if u don't want him to chew on slippers, keep ur shoes in a high or in a proper shoe rack and also don't let him chew on old slipper, he can;t tell the difference between ur old "japanese sandal" and ur new "manolo blahniks"!:)

don't let him jump too much as this will put pressure on his hips, also play at his time. meaning, u can play with him but if he stop and sit down, don't force him to continue. if u r training him, always end with it positively, so if u ask him to sit and he don't want to sit but u r tired and want to call it a wrap, ask him to do a command that he knows and reward him, then say finish. he will think he has complete another good day of lesson.

once u train him, make sure u use all the commands for everything that u want him to do. for eg, make him sit for everything like when u r preparing his food, when u want to play fetch, at the door, when u come home. always give a command for everything so he dont' forget.

All work and no play, he will become bored. So let him chew on his favourite toy after a training session. Or hug him after a session. My puppy loves to watch the world go by at the balcony, he would place his paw on the balcony and look down seeing cars, people, other dogs. So sometimes I pick her up, hold her tightly to me and give her the 1st class view of the city. Best part, when she has enough, she will lick my ears, so to speak :put me down, I am ok now”.

I never let my dog jump on me when I get home, right now she is still a puppy, so ok. imagine she is going to grow being a strong powerful dog that may possible knock you down. So when u come home, he will be very happy and jumping on u with tail wagging, command her to sit, repeat, if she refuses, 3rd time, ignore her but still standing at the door, once she calm down and sit, praise her A LOT! At 11 weeks, my puppy has stopped jumping on me..so the training works.

Don’t bring him out yet being 8 weeks, he is very prone to disease, keep him indoors till he has his 2nd shot, at this stage he is very susceptible to distemper, parvo and all that canine puppy disease.

If he whine in the crate, don’t bring him out. If u have given him exercise, food, attention and drink, say u want to go somewhere and he whine, ignore him. He should learn that by whining and barking, it will not get him out of the crate. Thank goodness , goldens don’t bark as much as toy breeds, that’s the beauty, so he will whine for 2 minutes, then he will stop and probably go for a nap. Make sure u have safe chew toys in the crate for him to amuse himself.

My puppy used to whine at night, so we resort on putting her crate in our bedroom, so she sleeps in the crate and we on our bed. She never whine that day since. Your pup is young, he loves to know that he is not alone and u r there. So when my puppy wakes up the middle of the night, she will peek at us and see if we are still there, then she would go back to sleep. I tested her a couple of nights ago by quietly creeping out to the bathroom, she did whine. I tapped her crate and say “ Roxy, quiet” then she diam already.

Yes we should go back together, for my side, it will be nice for Roxy to see another GR puppy and perhaps I could also tell u some things I’ve been thru with Roxy when she was younger. She is 13 weeks today. yes a good diet will work wonders on ur GR's skin.

Train and love him well, he will be a very hard dog to replace!

p/s – I bought K.I.S.S, bringing up a puppy. I find it very useful there are some books recommended by surchinmy but I am able to find it, guess have to see in kinokuniya. I bought my book at MPH. also a website www.landofpuregold.com it's a website made by GR owners in USA, a lot of useful information.

May
Old Hand

Oct 25, 2004, 10:56 PM

Post #19 of 258 (6912 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

There's a Chinese vet in Sri Damansara. Quite good and very profesisonal. He'll hug your dog summore Wink.

WendyS
Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2004, 2:08 AM

Post #20 of 258 (6905 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kelsey,

So fast your Roxy is 13 weeks old already....I still remember we 'talked' when you first got her....Wink

I'm also a proud owner of Golden Retriever now, her name is Daisy, she'll be 2 months old on 28/10. She was 3.4kg when I brought her to the Vet last week when I collected her.

Now I'm feeding her Canidae 2 times a day, almost 1 full cup per meal, is it sufficient? I think she wants more because everytime she licks the bowl squeaky clean and always looks at me for more....but I'm also afraid overfeeding her would bring more problems later....and when should I increase her food, how frequent, is it depending on her age or weight? Hope that you can enlighten me on this !!

Since we are talking about Skin problem here, do you have any good recommendation on dog shampoo? And her fur is pretty thick, I don't seem to comb much using the slicker brush (no lose hair coming out), do I have to get other brushes too?

I haven't got a good book on training (no time to go shopping at MPH), but meanwhile I'm learning from the experiences that shared by you guys in this forum....You all are so helpful and thank you so much !! As I'm busy doing my new house, I'm depending on my mum to look after her and my kids now, but I will play with her when I'm bringing my kids home from my mum's place. Now I'm getting her to be familiar with her name, 'come' & 'sit', but she is always very excited when see people around her.....if nobody cares about her, she will lie down, play with her own toys, then go to sleep. I hope it won't be too late to train her next month when we move to the new house, what do you think?

Best regards.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 26, 2004, 3:35 AM

Post #21 of 258 (6902 views)
Shortcut

Hahaha... now that is normal hahahah... oh, how I miss my dogs' puppy days.... hahahah.... so much fun memories ler..... Good lah, that means you got a laid back pup, will not cause you much trouble lah, not like mine, like monster only..... she still is and now already 4 years old!!!!

Ah, some pups think doing on cement is better... but so far, all my dogs do it on the grass lah.... yes, takes lots of patience and time, gradually teach your pup since it's young now, when he do on grass ah, give him lots of praises and treats and maybe a toy, then he will know that when he do it in the right place, he will be rewarded.... Of course, you have to act and jump like crazy to show the pup that you are happy lah hahahahaha....

Hahaha... your pup already know how to trcik you... my dogs did the same too when they were pups, like lil computers only, learn certain words so fast hahaha.... To teach the command come ah, leash your pup on a long leash and sit a bit far from your pup, then say the word 'come' while pull the leash a bit and show the pup a treat or some food, sure will work wan... I used to do this and for treats, I use cook liver hehehe.....

He is too young now for walks around the taman, but you have to use the leash and collar to train him at home so when he is older, he will be good with the leash... like put him on the leash and do training at home...... then when he is about 4 months, you can bring him for short walks, make sure to be aware of the big dogs...... and make sure if want to meet other dogs ah he must be fully vaccinated!!!

Don't feed milk!!! Bad for the dog's tummy.... if you want to give him milk, go and buy the pet's formula, normally for puppies.....

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 26, 2004, 3:47 AM

Post #22 of 258 (6899 views)
Shortcut

Some dogs can have a puppy outbreak of rashes or pimples, mostly very prone in boxers and bulldogs and some other breeds..... my vet said it is normal and will fade after they mature.... if your pup is ok now, hope it will not be anything serious, remember, if your dog happens to be near a cat and you find some bald spots on your pup, go to vet quick!!!! Coz cats are high fungus carries..... my cat when I got him, his whole body had to be shaved coz of ringworm fungus...... starts as flacky, then dry, then hairless round patches, then red and sticyky and got yellow liquid.... very disgusting wan.....

Another tip, to let the dog bond with you closely, let the pup sleep on the floor or in a crate in your bedroom.... all my pups were made to saty in our rooms until they are 1 year old..... this creates a bond and the pupu will respect you as family and alpha..... the trust the pup gives after this is really great and rewarding!!!!

beyond

Oct 26, 2004, 10:37 AM

Post #23 of 258 (6892 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the tips! WIll try them out..Today..He started to be a bit 'bite-y' mode. So each time he bite bite..I ll just say No and he ll stop..ANd then he will start again..Hahahah

Thanks for the info May

Crazymouse..U should have seen the way the fella sleep..Just like a human..All four legs up in the air..Damn kelakar the fella..Hm..I have not found a fav toy for him yet..COz..He seems to loose interest in toys really quick..So far..I had a rope, a ball. THe only thing he likes is the chew bone (the one that go smaller and smaller)..I think I gonna look for treats tomolo..ANy brands to recommend?

Oh yeah..Thanks for all the info guys and gals..

(This post was edited by beyond on Oct 26, 2004, 10:43 AM)

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Oct 26, 2004, 5:02 PM

Post #24 of 258 (6887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WendyS] SKin problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

hey wendy,

yeah so fast already 13 weeks. she no longer has that puppy face look but looking more like a dog now:)

well you could feed her 1 full cup of Canidae 3 times a day as she is still a growing puppy, when she is older, then you can move to 2 cups. Roxy is feeding on Canidae 1 1/2 cup twice a day with puree vegetables and chicken stock and for mid morning, lunch, we will give her fruits & veggies. dont worry about her being overweight now as she is growing. this is also not the time to give her food according to her performance. puppy generally cannot sit still at one spot for more than 5 minutes. so they will run around and things like that. i only plan to have Roxy on 2 meals a day when she is 1 year.

dog shampoo, well i don't have a recommendation since i just use normal shampoo since my dog doesn't have any skin problem. i combed her with a brush twice a day, i comb her at night when got advertisement on TV, she usually will sit at my leg with a comb that look like a flea comb, not sure how i call it. whenever i use whichever comb, there is always some fur coming out. i use the brush to comb her fur backwards to loosen any furs and then comb according to her fur flow. when u comb, never let her attack the comb, cause later it will be hard when she is bigger and older. if she attacks the comb now, say "NO" and take the comb away and continue. of course she has to know that combing is a fun activity, so give her a chew toy to distract her when u r combing her. at 12 weeks, Roxy does not attack the comb anymore. she actually sits when i comb her, so the training works again.

i think u should start training her now. when u move house, you need to house train her again lah but it will be easier..good luck!

beyond

Oct 27, 2004, 4:29 AM

Post #25 of 258 (6879 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hi ! Just bought two books today at Kinokuniya.

1. Golden Retriever by Nona Kilgore Bauer (PetLove)-RM 86.26

2. DOg Training for Dummies- RM 73+-

Very very good books. Hehehe..Even my parents are reading them now..As u guys know..My puppy can be very 'lazy' or laid-back most of the time..So ..In order to attract him to exercise..I made him chase the mop whilst I moped the floor..And then..THe mop broke..And he learnt how to chase the stick..U know..Like trainin the horse to canter round and round..Hahhaah..Good exercise..But I doubt it is a good habit..Coz..He barked at the mop when I did moppin inside the house while he was in the crate..So funny..Coz he was irritated and wanted to chase the mop..But after a while..He cool down and continued to chew his chew toy..

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my