Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
HELP!! MY 2 DOGS ARE FIGHTING

qtee0351
Novice

Feb 8, 2003, 12:48 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1727 views)
Shortcut
HELP!! MY 2 DOGS ARE FIGHTING Can't Post

We have two pomeranians, one belongs to me and the other belongs to my roomate. They're from seperate liters, but the same age (both are 4 mo. old) They didn't meet eachother till they were about 3 mo. They play with eachoter but its really rough, and then they start getting mad at eachother and fight real bad. To the point that they start hurting eachother. My dog is the smaller of the two and seems be the one always hurt, but the first fight. Will this ever stop. We can't leave them alone without watching them and when we leave we have to seperate them in different rooms. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this.

kaerb

Feb 10, 2003, 9:52 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [qtee0351] HELP!! MY 2 DOGS ARE FIGHTING [In reply to] Can't Post

hey...I am not really sure about pomeranians but I have a similar experience with my pitbulls. Are your pups the same sex? If so, maybe that's is what is causing the fights, they are probably trying to show who's more dominant. Since they are so young, you should discourage them at the very first sign of aggressiveness. Eg, soft growling when they are playing or biting at each other or even whining sounds...once you hear all this, immediately discourage them by either saying no in a loud and firm manner and have both you n your frd grab the puppy up and give it a gentle shake. Or do something like thatjust to grab the puppy's attention. anyway...that's what we did lar...not some pro advice here leh....
have a fine day!!!

AjaSage
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 3:15 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaerb] HELP!! MY 2 DOGS ARE FIGHTING [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL. . .interesting advice coming from another Pit Bull owner!

I've already said this once today. . .but it takes two people and the force of GOD to get my dogs apart. They aren't allowed to have contact with each other or any other dogs anymore. The last fight they had was AFTER I decided to separate them. . .one broke out of his crate while the other was out. . .I was all by myself and had blood and fur all over me, the dogs, the floor, the walls (from them shaking) My one boy almost lost an eye, ripped his inner eyelid, and had so many puncture wounds on his face that it swelled up until he looked like a bull terrier. I had to put them on opposite sides of a door and when the last dog let go, I closed the door. . .that was the only way I could get them apart.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. . .qtee0351, what kaerb said may work for your dogs, it all depends on their temperaments and drives. If it doesn't, your best bet is to keep them from playing that way in the first place, or keep them completely separated.

-AjaSage

Good Sites:
www.americanstaffordshireterrier2002.org
www.wpbtca.com
www.workbulldog.com

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 20, 2003, 5:18 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AjaSage] HELP!! MY 2 DOGS ARE FIGHTING [In reply to] Can't Post

hi AjaSage,

Refers: "had so many puncture wounds on his face that it swelled up until he looked like a bull terrier." ..

Just can't stop laughing on this .. Wink . Laugh

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

AjaSage
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 7:46 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] HELP!! MY 2 DOGS ARE FIGHTING [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! I know you didn’t mean to be offensive about that. . .but the situation was very scary! I still shake when I think about it. I was cleaning and treating wounds for weeks. I had to watch my dog sit in his crate when I finally got them separated with blood dripping from the inside of his eyes and gushing from every wound in his face. It really was not funny. Although, my dog may tell you otherwise. He was sitting there with a big grin on his face and his tail was wagging a mile a minute. . .CRAZY PUP!

-AjaSage

Good Sites:
www.wpbtca.com
www.workbulldog.com

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 20, 2003, 8:14 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AjaSage] HELP!! MY 2 DOGS ARE FIGHTING [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

Of course not. Smile I've been thru' that once.. more than 20 yrs. ago. while i was handling guard dogs (GSD) momentarily.. but the situation was not as bad as what you described.. If i were u, i'd probably shaken to death .. Unsure

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

AjaSage
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 8:39 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] HELP!! MY 2 DOGS ARE FIGHTING [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, everybody that’s been around working dogs knows. . .any good working dog is dog aggressive!!!

My boys are not guard dogs, but they do train and compete in Schutzhund. Excuse me, I train and compete with them in Schutzhund Wink (with my training group, of course) So, aside from them being Pit Bulls, they’re working dogs. Aggressiveness towards other dogs should be expected, regardless. . .all of that breeding and training- I really should’ve been more careful from the get-go Wink

LIVE AND LEARN!!! Cool

-AjaSage

Good Sites:
www.wpbtca.com
www.workbulldog.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my